Anyone have Nike+??

jcm

Cathlete
I'm training for my first half marathon in May. So far I've only done 5ks. Most of my runs will be on my treadmill (due to kids) but my long run will be outside. I'm not very experienced at pacing myself (5k pace, long slow pace) nor do I usually run anywhere except a 7 mile trail w/ mile markers. I need something to help me w/ distance and pace but holy cow - that Garmin Forerunner (most) look like overkill for what I need. Just wondering if the Nike+ is accurate? I've read mixed reviews.

Jen

I can tell you from experience that - no, it's not accurate. I've had mine for almost 2 years and although it can last forever, it is extremely inaccurate! Mine started out within 1/10 of a mile off only. Now, I'm lucky to get within 1/4 to 1/3 of a mile within the actual mileage! When you're running a specific distance and you want to know when to increase your pace towards the end, that can make or break (usually break) you!

My DH just got me a Garmin for my birthday and I love it! They are pricey and do have tons of fun tools, but if it's more than you need, it's not what you want to spend that kind of money on.

If you have an iphone, Nike+ now offers an app for your iPhone, 3rd gen or higher, that uses GPS, so it's more accurate than the sensor. I think it's only $1.99 - a big difference from the standard Nike+ and most definitely cheaper than a Garmin and should be adequate for your needs.

That's pretty much what I've read. I know Garmin is best - Amazon had the 205 today for $99. That thing is HUGE! It's like wearing a computer on my wrist. This is my first time w/ stuff over 9 miles. I just can't run up and down the same path every weeks - I'll go nuts!

I had problems with my Nike+ too. The foot thing never worked, and I just got frustrated so I stopped using. I have an iPhone so I have been using Runkeeper on the iPhone. Garmin is introducing a bunch of new models and I hope they will discount some of the older ones so I get one on sale. Lots of people have them in my running group and they just rave about them.

I looked at different heart rate monitors and came across this one:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2010/02/garmin-fr60-review-in-depth.html

good review for the Garmin FR60, although I was looking for mainly for heart monitor features with software this one can be used for tracking running & cycling, no GPS though. It was an alternative to some of the higher priced models, and one I thought would be good if I start jogging & bicycling, a long term goal for 2011. The article says it's pretty accurate and can be used inside.

It may do what you need with foot pod accessory.

Linda

Well, my husband ended up ordering me a Garmin 205 from Amazon. It was the "deal of the day" - Tuesday? - for $99. I looked at the FR60 and actually like it better - the 205 is kind of overkill for me not to mention huge. But it was cheaper! Should be here tomorrow ...

Jen

Well, my husband ended up ordering me a Garmin 205 from Amazon. It was the "deal of the day" - Tuesday? - for $99. I looked at the FR60 and actually like it better - the 205 is kind of overkill for me not to mention huge. But it was cheaper! Should be here tomorrow ...

Jen

Great! Could you let us know how you like it?

Definitely! I'm not a techie person so I'll count on him to figure it out and give me what I need to know. It took a lot for me to figure out my iPod shuffle! This is going to be an experience. I'll definitely feel like a real runner now. Or like I'm in a costume parade :)

Definitely! I'm not a techie person so I'll count on him to figure it out and give me what I need to know. It took a lot for me to figure out my iPod shuffle! This is going to be an experience. I'll definitely feel like a real runner now. Or like I'm in a costume parade :)

Well, if it comes today, you can post to Lady Packenham's thread that you dressed like a runner for Halloween!:D;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.