Any of you experience hormonal changes at early 30's

groundhog

Cathlete
I was just wondering if any of you noticed hormonal changes in your early thirties?? Never had PMS, got it BAD now, face breaking out, very sensitive, touchy, periods are different..is this normal..I asked my gyny and he kinda just blew it off as stress, it is not stress. Sex drives goes up and down like a teeter-totter.. Just dont feel like myself, ya know?? Any of you ladies have insight, I'd appreciate it, thanks:7

Yes! About age 35 is when I first started noticing it, and my OB/GYN told me perimenopausal symptoms can start in your 30's. There are tons of herbal things you can try, and soy products seem to work very well for some people. I opted for low dose birth control pills, and those have been very helpful for me. Many options are available! I would suggest talking about it with your OB/GYN. Hope this helps!!

Carol
:)

RE: Any of you experience hormonal changes at early 30'...

Oh yeah! I hear ya!!! I never had zits until my early thirties. PMS really got much worse. I would scream at my kids the week before my period (and I'm not a screamer). Insomnia showed up (I NEVER had a problem sleeping). I would discuss it with a doctor you are comfortable with, one that will listen and take you seriously, especially before trying any herbal remedies. Soy is very questionable now days. I know everyone is probably tired of hearing me say it butttttttt......, I had 2 different oncologists from two separate offices tell me to stay away from ALL SOY PRODUCTS. I am a breast cancer survivor and soy WILL increase my risk for a recurrence. Perhaps a trusted MD can give you some good recommendations. I know they even have "menopause clinics" now. For $30 I spent an hour with a nurse who specializes in women with periomenopause/menopause symptoms, and it included a total "heart health check". Well worth the money. Many local hospitals are offering them. They sent me home with a lot of up-to-date, factual literature. Hope you find something that helps.

Blessings,
Denise

You may want to have him check your thyroid. I started having problems with mine after I had my daughter (I was 33), but I didn't realize it. During a particularly nasty bout of constipation (sorry for being gross), I checked the iVillage.com symptom solver and it told me I may have hypothyroidism. So I asked my doctor to check and that's what it was. The change when I got on medication was wonderful. I had a sex drive again, no longer depressed (which I didn't realize I had been until I wasn't anymore - know what I mean?), and lots of other things just started righting themselves again.

It's very common for women in their 30's - especially after having a child.

Yes, never got PMS, no acne, nothing. Then my early thirties came and it hasn't been that much better. Now in my late thirties I find gravity is my bitter enemy, I know get mild acne, PMS, VERY tender breasts and the most obvious hormonal change for me is facial hair, which is quite embarrassing;( Mentioned it to the gyno and she said it happens! Just take it a day at a time! I find that if i workout regularly things don't seem that bad. My hormones are more stable and I focus more on the positive. Good luck
BooBoo

Yes, absolutely. I never really had PMS until after my second child was born, I was 31. Then I have suffered 7 horrible years of it with incredible regularity and predictability. Spots, break outs, bloating, incredible bad temper and crabbiness, lots of shouting. I was diagnosed as having PMDD and antidepressants helped, but my preferred treatment is hormonal contraception, the Nuvaring, which gives me just 3 days each month of feeling like s**t, and so my life is way better than before.

Just some thing about a woman's body in her thirties.

Try the hormonal birth control perhaps, and see if it works for you to reduce symptoms and the severity of them? I think you are perfectly normal, if it makes you feeel any better! And your gyne, male, typical, is wrong to blow it off as just stress. It's real and will probably continue. Try and enjoy the "ups" of your sex drive: maybe a perk?

Clare

I strongly encourage finding someone who specializes in women with pre-/perimenopause/menopause. The North American Menopause Society offers a certificate to health care professionals with advanced competency regarding menopause. NAMS also provides a referral list for US Menopause Clinicians (http://www.menopause.org/consumers/consref.htm).

NCC, the certifying body for Women's Health Nurse Practitioners (AKA OB/Gyn NPs), provides a subspecialty certificate as a Menopause Clinician to NPs, Nurse Midwives, Physicians, Physician Assistants & Naturopathic Physicians.

Best of luck!

Autumn

thanks for all your wonderful replies, I feel comforted by your responses..I know its not "in my head"..this all started after the birth of my third (14 mos ago). I am already on the pill and a antidepressant (for sleeping disorder), so I guess herbal remedies would be my next defense??? I dont want to use soy though, as my mother had breast cancer and I heard that soy can actually increase estrogen levels (my mothers cancer was estrogen driven). Any suggestions?? I will get bad PMS at the 10 day before my period mark..were talking bad cramps and bloating and bad cravings..MISERABLE..and I am so emotional and touchy the whole month..I keep plugging along with Cathe, cuz if I quit I bet it would be even worse..any way any suggestions on herbal or dietary remedies would be much appreciated... Its so nice to have you gals to talk to, it helps, thanks:7

Thanks for bringing up this subject. Since the birth of my first child when I turned 30 (four years ago), things have changed significantly. It took us 10 months to conceive our second child, which ended in a miscarriage in the first trimester. I know my hormones are not what they were when I was in my twenties, but do not know whether to attribute it to age, having a child, or a substantial weight gain followed by weight loss, or maybe a mixture of all three. All of your accounts have made me feel less stressed about this; it appears to be quite normal for things to start puttering out. Fortunately, extreme PMS is not a problem for me, so I don't feel compelled to change things. I need to exercise very regularly, however, or I begin to get depressed. Thank heavens I found a regime that works for me (home workouts with Cathe).

Take care,
Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.