Another insanity thread... but please help :)

Zozo

Cathlete
I know there have been lots of insanity threads recently, but none of them QUITE answer the questions I have :) SO I was hoping someone could help me...
I am really interested in buying insanity, but I want to make sure I know EXACTLY what I am buying in terms of intensity.... could you possibly 'grade' insanity in terms of intensity, if I set a benchmark? For example, if:

20 is the most intense in the universe, and would be verging on a heart attack.
0 is walking pace

Could you PLEASE tell me where Insanity would fall, but also, so that I can get a picture of how they compare to Cathe, could you also tell me where: Drill max, HIIT, CCC, Low Max, Body max 2, Imax 2 would fall? Sorry if this is a lot to ask, but I don't want to spend money if I don't know exactly what I'm getting. :)

I know there have been lots of insanity threads recently, but none of them QUITE answer the questions I have :) SO I was hoping someone could help me...
I am really interested in buying insanity, but I want to make sure I know EXACTLY what I am buying in terms of intensity.... could you possibly 'grade' insanity in terms of intensity, if I set a benchmark? For example, if:

20 is the most intense in the universe, and would be verging on a heart attack.
0 is walking pace

Could you PLEASE tell me where Insanity would fall, but also, so that I can get a picture of how they compare to Cathe, could you also tell me where: Drill max, HIIT, CCC, Low Max, Body max 2, Imax 2 would fall? Sorry if this is a lot to ask, but I don't want to spend money if I don't know exactly what I'm getting. :)

At it's most intense, one could make Insanity a 19. :eek:

HOWEVER, you don't have to to push yourself to an unsafe level of effort. Shaun T tells you to work at your own pace and you'll see backgrounders going at different speeds--a few of them even stop during some drills.

Insanity is about pushing yourself to new limits wherever you're starting from. Yes, you could fry yourself trying to keep up, but that's just courting injury not improving your fitness level. You might start at level 7 - 11 and move up to level 9 - 14.

Personally, I think Insanity is harder than anything Cathe has done because of the limited rests & type of moves. But, Insanity's impact level is more manageable than many other workouts because Insanity mixes up speed work, strength work & push ups w/ the higher impact moves. Also, Shaun T usually has you touch the ground at the beginning/end of a jump move so your muscles absorb most of the impact rather than your joints. (It's one fluid springing motion--down/up vs. stop/start--does that make sense?)

This doesn't mean that Cathe doesn't make killer workouts that would drastically improve most anyone's fitness level. It's like comparing apple pie to chocolate--they're both great in their own way!

To me Insanity is a 20 only because you are doing moves using your body weight and pushing yourself to their limits

even though Cathe pushes you its totally different than Insanity

BUT as the previous poster said, everyone goes at their own pace

for instance. when you start out the program, you do a fit test. you are supposed to do them again at 15, 30, 45, 60

so they EXPECT you to improve as the program progresses

if you want a program to push your limits, this is it

i you want a program to improve your cardio fitness, this is it

Intensity is a subjective answer, but it can be a 19 like the PP stated if you really push it. They are BY FAR the most difficult dvds I have ever done (and I have been doing them for 20+years!!)

I think Insanity is more intense than anything Cathe has put out as well. But for me, Insanity has this dread factor toward the end of the rotation that I don't get with Cathe workouts. I don't think I would ever do another Insanity rotation, but I will use the workouts seperately since they offer a huge calorie burn in a short period of time. They are high impact so my 40 year old body was really feeling it by the time 2 months was over.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the purchase. The workouts will push you to your personal limits....yes, a 20 out of 20 if you want to go there. You'll be a sweaty mess after the warm-up:eek:, but you don't need to be afraid, since the choice of how hard you work is always up to you. It's the toughest cardio workout on DVD that I have tried. I would maybe compare it to the Cardio Coach Press Play workout if you have those. Both Sean/Shawn push you to your limits.......but again, it's all up to you.

I am in the middle of my first Insanity rotation right now, and I think they are harder than anything Cathe does too, because the rests are so short and you are working so hard. But they hold no dread factor for me -- I find them totally addictive, because when I put my all into them, the adrenaline and endorphins start rushing. So even though I am working much harder than I am used to, I love every second of it. And the first month's workouts are really short (under 40 minutes) but some folks burn nearly 1000 calories in that time. So the workouts are super-efficient. I think the program is awesome, and will be an excellent addition to my collection (which is otherwise all Cathe). I see an STS-Insanity rotation in my future...

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the purchase. The workouts will push you to your personal limits....yes, a 20 out of 20 if you want to go there. You'll be a sweaty mess after the warm-up:eek:, but you don't need to be afraid, since the choice of how hard you work is always up to you. It's the toughest cardio workout on DVD that I have tried. I would maybe compare it to the Cardio Coach Press Play workout if you have those. Both Sean/Shawn push you to your limits.......but again, it's all up to you.

Echoing this! In terms of series that let/encourage me to safely push past what I thought were my limits: Cardio Coach for equipment-based cardio, Insanity for dvds, and STS for strength. And TRX for flexibility/core work :) However, I chose not to do an Insanity rotation as written; my body does better with more recovery time between very high intensity days.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.