adjustable or regular dumbbells?

nightowl81

Cathlete
I'm wishing I invested in dumbbells back when they were under $1 a pound... Anyway, with Christmas around the corner I'm looking to buy some 15-20lbs ones. So, if anyone uses any of the adjustable ones or regular hex type, I'd like to hear the pros and cons. The adjustable ones seem like such a great idea to save space.

I was considering the Bowflex Select Techs, but I've been reading some reviews over on the bodybuilding site saying they are too plasticy, get jammed and stuck and break easily.

Now I'm looking at the powerblocks, and wonder how quick/easy it is to change the pins? I want it to be quick enough to go from one exercise to the next depending on the workout I'm doing to stay warmed up.

Or I could get the plate type dumbbells and just adjust them as I need them, since I don't see myself needing out more than 3 sets of dumbbells at a time for a workout.

Or just go for the regular hex dumbbells that are easy to grab and go? I'm leaning towards the plates or hex dumbbells since they will hopefully last me for years or a lifetime, while the adjustable ones I'm worried about breaking at some point.

Any input? Thanks!

Hi Nightowl...

I have the Powerbocks...as much as I love them...I hate them too!

I love them because they take up less room, they range from 3 - 24 pounds...GREAT love that. They take up not even a square foot....I got them from my hubby last year for Xmas...gotta really love that.

The cons....
It's easier to just grab a weight than it is to select a weight...pull the pin out and put the pin in the holes and make sure the pin goes all the way threw. Most times I have to pause Cathe so that I can be sure to have enough time to get my weights set up safely because if the weight isn't set right...they are very unstable and could fall out...on you....I have to allow another 10 minutes sometimes to some of my workouts because of the time it takes to select my weights and set them up. This is my biggest con.

I think the Powerblocks are easier to grip at the ends for my small hands when doing tricep extensions...I have to hold the ends of the dumbbell because I don't like that exercise cupping my hands around the dumbbells in the vertical direction.

I like my powerblocks....but I grew out of them...and I just want to buy more dumbbells...I think.

I really have mixed emotions....but my biggest complaint is the added time to my workouts....

When I was looking at celectable weights...I thought that the powerblocks were the less combersome of the many out there...

Good luck deciding....I would really wish my hubby would have bought me the next size up from the sport model...but I give him credit for trying.

I was considering the Bowflex Select Techs, but I've been reading some reviews over on the bodybuilding site saying they are too plasticy, get jammed and stuck and break easily.

No way! I love my Bowflex Select Techs. They are great! Mine only get stuck when I realize that I haven't turned the knob completely at the number I need to unrack the weight. Mine never get jammed and I am careful to place them in their slot rather than throw them around--that's when they can break. Well worth the investment along with the stand that you can purchase separately.

No way! I love my Bowflex Select Techs. They are great! Mine only get stuck when I realize that I haven't turned the knob completely at the number I need to unrack the weight. Mine never get jammed and I am careful to place them in their slot rather than throw them around--that's when they can break. Well worth the investment along with the stand that you can purchase separately.

thanks for the feedback. do you find the dial quick enough to change for all your workouts or do you have to pause alot?

I have the SelectTeck DB that go up to 52 lbs. (although I have yet to get up that high) and I love them. I do find that it takes me a second longer than just picking up the weights like Cathe and crew does but I love the fact that I don't have a ton of clutter in my workout room - I did have to buy a pair of 2# and 3# db though - for PT on my shoulder (and for use when you do heel or toe elevated lunges/deadlifts, etc.)...

Whatever adjustable weights you are thinking about, make sure you try them out in person before buying. Some of them look rather clumsy and bulky to me, and awkward for certain moves (but it also depends on your hand size).

Also check www.eopinions.com to see what other owners say about them.

If they fit nicely and seem to be sturdy, I think an adjustable set would be a great idea.

Some people think the SelectTech DB are bulky - while they are kind of large, I haven't had a problem with them. They are easy to hold on to, just alot wider - or longer - than regular dumbbells. I haven't been restricted by that though.

I just decided on a dumbell set rather than adjustable - got a great 40lb set at Modell's for $50! http://www.modells.com/product/inde...Price-MOD&view=all&cp=3201689.3202314.2623795

Hi Jolene :) have you used your DB set yet? I just wonder how easy it is to change weights during a workout... I notice they have the screw ends... also, just a thought about how much you will be able to increment that weight set (ie: 3, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, etc) as compared to individual db's... just watching the new YouTube clips, it doesn't appear that there will be much time to change things out... what has your experience been with these? :)

I just decided on a dumbell set rather than adjustable - got a great 40lb set at Modell's for $50! http://www.modells.com/product/inde...Price-MOD&view=all&cp=3201689.3202314.2623795

Those are one of the options I'm considering, and just getting a couple bars and adjust the weight plates on them as I need it.

Seems better to invest in the plates or regular hex dumbbells since they are almost guaranteed to last for many, many years.. the Select Techs I'm worried about the longevity of them, I don't want to spend $300-$500 only to have them break 2-3 years later. But the idea of saving space and having the heavier weights right there (instead of searching/buying) as I need them is appealing!

Still having tough time deciding...

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/member.php?u=101547Nightowl81, I have had the Select Tech Dumbbells (5-52.5) for about 4 years. I remember one breaking and I contacted Customer service and got a replacement in a few days. I did send the broken one back. The break was my fault. Since then they have been awesome and hold up very well. I do have a few other sets of adjustable and also other single weights that I use. The Select Tech are my favorite and are very easy to use and to change out...:)

Those are one of the options I'm considering, and just getting a couple bars and adjust the weight plates on them as I need it.

I'd recommend against that.
I personally couldn't stand the constantly changing the plates between exercises.

If you really want hex weights watch your paper and look everywhere. I just picked up a couple of 20 pounders from Kmart of all places for under $14 a piece. They had all their weights 25% off. Also places like Play it Again Sports if you have one or a similar place. They usually carry used ones for less and seriously what can you do to a hex weight?

I got my DH the adjustable kind and though its a pretty good value, both of us are inclined to getting a full dumbbell set. If you don't have space, its not a bad idea at all, but I don't like readjusting all the time but mostly, the way its made can hurt my wrist. I have like a cheap end powerblock thing (I think its called a sportblock) and when I try to do something like tricep overhead extension, it hits my wrist funny and I hate it. I did get my sportblock (2X24) for about $65 at Big 5 and I have gotten use out of them but now that we have more room, I find having a real dumbbell set to be more attractive.

Hi, Nightowl81: Are you any closer to making a decision? Like you, I am looking at adjustable dumbbells. Currently leaning toward PowerBlock, mainly because of the relatively compact design. Had a chance to play with a set at Scheel's, and although I still like the smaller size, they seemed a bit unstable. Also not sure how well they would work when doing moves that require one dumbbell, like some tricep moves or pullovers. The Bowflex varieties seem so bulky to me, but more stable. I am really limited on space, so regular dumbbells aren't really an option. The expense also adds up quickly! Anyway, I am just curious if you've made a decision.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.