? about yogurt

1fitgrl

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I know yogurt is a healthy snack, & I'd like to start eating it. However all the brands I find contain artificial sweetners. Do you allow yourself to eat the low fat/fat free yogurt that contains the higher amounts of sugar, or do you eat the brands w/ artificial sweetners? I'd appreciate your inupt.

Thanks,

Amanda

Not Cathe here,
But I think you can get 'plain' yogurts with no sweetener added (you can for soy yogurt, and they used to make them in regular dairy yogurt). That way, you can add your sweetener of choice and whatever else you want to flavor it, if you desire.
HTH

My favorite yogurt is Fage 2% yogurt (with no sweeteners added). I can't eat this plain, it's way too sour. But I add some agave nectar and raspberries and it is so good. Also, you would not believe the amount protein in this yogurt. It keeps you very full.

Ditto. I only buy plain yogurts (Greek or regular). Then I add berries or whatever. I actually can't stand sweetened yogurts now, as a result. If you are really into the "blended" style of yogurts, you can just use a blender and blend in your fruit/flavors of choice. Those other "yogurts" are full of not only fake sweeteners, but flavors and colors, as well.

Hi Amanda!

http://fageusa.com/?gclid=CJ6p0byCxpgCFQquGgodzEvV1Q#/products/two/

This is my favorite yogurt but I do believe you have to aquire a taste for it. If you like the taste of sour cream, you will love this yogurt, if not, it will be a tough one to love. I get the 2% plain and mix in fresh raspberries.

If you prefer a different yogurt, Stonyfield Farm makes a nice organic yogurt. To cut back on the sugar, buy both a plain flavored container and a fruit flavored container. In a dish mix 1/3 cup flavored in with 2/3cup plain. Or vice versa until you can get used to the "plainer" life, LOL.

http://www.stonyfield.com/AboutUs/

Hi Cathe,

I know yogurt is a healthy snack, & I'd like to start eating it. However all the brands I find contain artificial sweetners. Do you allow yourself to eat the low fat/fat free yogurt that contains the higher amounts of sugar, or do you eat the brands w/ artificial sweetners? I'd appreciate your inupt.

Thanks,

Amanda

Fage greek yogurt is the BEST! Its also great to dollop on some spicy Indian Curry. Indian Curry is considered clean eating -- right?????

Sonja.

homemade yogurt

Here's another idea...
If you want to save $ and have the very freshest possible yogurt with no additives or sweeteners...it's very easy to make. Another advantage is that you'll get Vitamin D, which is not in many commercial yogurts (it's typically only added to milk sold for drinking). Also...when you first make yogurt, it does not taste sour, it is almost like cream. So you don't need any sweeteners. I just usually mix in fresh berries, vanilla or almond extract, and top with almonds. Or if I've run out of berries, canned pumpkin, cinnamon or pumpkin pie spices, maple syrup or brown sugar, toasted pecans. I also add a spoonful of ground flax to these.

You can make yogurt without a yogurt maker, but the time would be quite variable and you'd need to find a reasonably warm spot. I think if you're going to make it, it's worth the convenience of knowing exactly how long it will take. I have the Yogourmet yogurt maker (Amazon sells it, as well as other retailers). I would avoid the ones that make yogurt in individual cups...where would you put your fruit?

You start with milk - pick from non-fat all the way up to whole, or a combination you can't usually find in a store, like half non-fat and half 1% to make a 1/2% yogurt (that's what I usually do). The more fat, the more the yogurt will "gel" on its own. I make two quarts at a time because our family goes through it so quickly. Put the milk in the microwave and heat 'til it just bubbles (mine takes ~20 min). Take it out to cool. Remove the skin that formed on top. If you like at this point, options are to add 1/4 cup dry milk per quart (extra nutrition) and/or 1/2 envelope of plain gelatin per quart (that has been softening in a small amount of water while the milk was heating). The gelatin will make it thicker and more "set" if you prefer that consistency (especially helpful if you use very low or nonfat milk). After 1 to 1.5 hrs (depending on ambient temp) it will be cool enough - check with the thermometer in the kit, or your own (~100 to 112 deg)- to add the starter...which is simply a large spoonful of your last batch! (or a commercial plain yogurt, if this is your first batch). You don't need to buy those dried envelopes of starter. Just stir some of the warm milk into the spoonful of yogurt in a small bowl until it is reasonably thin, and pour back into the milk. Put all in the yogurt container (you can pour it through a strainer to catch any leftover skin or dry milk clumps if needed), place in yogurt maker (with some water up to line), and five hrs later it is done. Put in refrigerator.
If you like the thick "greek-style" yogurt, you can drain this with a strainer/cheesecloth or a "yogurt cheese" kit that you can buy (which is basically the same thing), for a few hrs. If this is the intent though, do not use the gelatin when you make the yogurt.
I put a lot of details here and it may look long because of that, but it really only takes about 5 minutes of hands-on time.

My favorite new snack is this (courtesy of Chalene):

2 stalks celery peeled & chopped
1 tart green apple chopped
handful of chopped walnuts
handful of dried cranberries
top w/ 2-3T of nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt (I get mine at Trader joe's)

Mix it all up and enjoy. I'm going to try dried mango instead of cranberries one of these days.....

-Beth

I gotta say, Fage 0% is my FAVORITE yogurt. I won't eat any other kind now - all the fat free sweetener-added kind just taste SO fake to me. Fage is the best, my favorite way to eat it is with a sprinkle of pomagrante seeds with a little bit of honey and it's DELISH. When Pomagrante's aren't in season, I usually just do a little bit of honey and a handful of fiber one cereal. I usually eat that before I go to work (after my morning workout) and then have oatmeal and fruit at work. The protein content in the yogurt is amazing so it definitely keeps you going in the morning - and for me, I buy the big tub and it lasts me all week. I only need a scoop or so before I head out in the morning. I couldn't eat a full serving, the richness of the yogurt (its really thick and creamy - even the 0% kind!) and you really don't want more than a couple spoonfuls, at least maybe that's my preference?? Anyway, BIG fan over here!

My favorite new snack is this (courtesy of Chalene):

2 stalks celery peeled & chopped
1 tart green apple chopped
handful of chopped walnuts
handful of dried cranberries
top w/ 2-3T of nonfat plain Greek-style yogurt (I get mine at Trader joe's)

Mix it all up and enjoy. I'm going to try dried mango instead of cranberries one of these days.....

-Beth

I'd use dried goji berries in place of the cranberries

Here's another vote for making your own yogurt. Not only is it cheaper, but more importantly, you control what's in it, so you don't have to worry about a food recall of the food you eat or wonder about how it was processed. It really is very easy, and the taste is absolutely wonderful. If you use a plain yogurt from your grocery store as a starter, check for one that has the probiotic specifics you're interested in (I recommend using Wegman's brand plain yogurt if you've got a Wegman's near you - it's great!

And, and the previous poster mentioned, although it appears to take lots of time, it doesn't - it's a snap, especially once you've done it a few times.

I like to add honey - maybe a teaspoonful - to my yogurt for the little bit of sweetness, but fresh yogurt does taste so creamy it may not be necessary.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.