40's - week of 2/3/13

Good Morning,

Today I am going to a birthday party for my 4 year old twin nephews and then I will come home and do HS no conditioning and Core 1 and some stretching. I forgot to tell you guys I took my paycheck to the bank Friday night and they wouldn't take it there wasn't enough money in the bosses account.

Hi girls! Rest day, my triceps STILL hurts from the challenge the other day! I only used 5 lbs! Roxie, that's awful! Did you talk to them? I hope you get it straightened out tomorrow. Lisa, how's your neck? That sounds miserable. I go to the hospitals with the students and we take care of patients. I guess I was just most upset with their attitude, if someone gets hit by a car they will change their tune. We are having a party today, I'm procrastinating! By the way, can you plan my next vacation? Sounds awesome! Ronne, I myself had a little headache this morning, might have been the beer? Jody, holy cow! Are you sore today? Sounds like you had the perfect day! Hi Murphy! I better get off my butt! Have a good day! Don't eat too much! Mary

Hey 40's! Not too good a night last night, yes, neck still hurting (hurts more when I lay/sit still). I couldn't stomach another cardio or legs, so I said, hmmm, maybe I need to loosen up the muscles in my UB, then maybe I'll be able to crack my neck, so I did PUB with light weight, weights I used back when I started Cathe! About a dumbbell below Cathe's. We will see. If it's still feeling like it needs a crack I guess I'll take Jody's advice and suck it up and go to a chiro. Reason I'm resisting is back in my 20's when I went to chiro for same thing, they got me coming back again and again, for some treatment plan. One time after I went, I got home (of course it was a friday night) and I couldn't even take a breath without it hurting. I called finally on the Monday (got the partner in the practice) and turns out my spine was rotated! The cracked my spine from the front and I could finally breath again, I never went back and swore off chiropractors. My brother-in-law in FL is a chiro and I never even let him touch me. I hate the whole aspect of giving up control for someone to manipulate your body to do something that sounds awful. I do feel it's more a spine alignment thing now vs pulled muscle, so I may have to succumb.

Roxie, that sucks! Maybe this move is exactly what you need, you'll get there!

Mary, what do you think about the tricep starting from back a bit (vs from straight up)? i think it makes it so much harder, and I find myself going back to straight up. Plus my weights hit the floor or bench more. Is it just me? I used 8's for that one, I need to learn to lighten up my weight more, maybe that's what got me in this neck mess, and I need to remember, I'm not getting any younger and less weight I'll still get a good workout...hmmm, maybe I'll get long and lean?

Jody,Sounds like you are 'in the zone' with your w/o/eating plan. Is this semester a bit easier?

Ronne, you've had your rest day, what's next on your xtrain rotation?

Murphy, hope you and your computer aren't sick again.

Lisa, maybe you need one of those inversion tables for your home gym? Also sounds like you should get a recommendation for a chiro rather than picking one out of the yellow pages, now there is an old idea. Do you have anyone good and safe in mind?

I did a tabata workout today. I didn't lose much wt last week- half a pound so I better make sure this week counts. They are changing up the food and it will feature real fresh veggies everyday. woo hoo

I've managed to find some Jillian workouts on youtube and will try those out. We've got a laptop hooked up to tv most of time, so my workout options are improving once I figure out how to get everything to flow. I think I will try that Chalene, too. when I get a chance.

It seems like long and lean barre workouts are hot right now? Everyone, well many, at VF are excited about dream body and more. I think one advantage of switching up instructors and styles is not being able to cheat the way you normally do. I know when I'm doing some extend move, I'm sometimes asking, why isn't this easy for me? Then later on I realize it is a move or muscle I cheat on when I do Cathe. Does that make sense?

Have a good one all

Hey everyone

Roxie - that is terrible about your cheque. Hope you get it sorted out quickly!

Mary - I have to confess I didn't really get any DOMS after the 100 rep challenge. My triceps must be stronger than I think altho I never match anywhere near Cathe for weights. I saw your little moan about the snow. I'd be really scared too. They should at least grit or clear it.

Lisa - sorry to hear about your neck. It sounds in a really bad way. I can never remember whether it's chiropracters or osteopaths who are slightly dodgy. Max I can do with those new triceps are 10lbs. I had a go with 12 and barely got them back up after 1 rep!

Jody - sounds like your new routine is working out for you. It's always good to have a change.

Well yesterday was AOL plus core 1 premix and today was Legs plus Rear Delts premix. I really struggled yesterday, don't know whether it was still related to Friday night or what. At one point, I thought I was going to have to stop but I managed to struggle through. This morning I was feeling really tired sitting at my desk but then when I started on Legs I got a real burst of energy and got right into it. I really like Legs - I think because she allows plenty of rest and stretch time between exercises, the lack of that has always been my biggest bugbear with B&G.

Probably going to be a quiet week at work this week, so I'm trying to do lots of little jobs that need catching up on.

today was Athletic Step, up with neck last night again, feels better now, but I think because it's loosened up after w/o. I did notice weakness with over head movements in that side, sigh. I found a chiro, I will make an appt even though I wish I could just ride it out.

Jody, I went to Healthgrades > Find a Doctor | Doctor Reviews | Hospital Ratings and look at drs there (plus on my insurance program). That last chiro 25 yrs ago was from a friend's recommendation so...... As far as switching up w/o's, I'm sure it's great for the bod, but it's funny I never FEEL as worked out as I do with Cathe :)

Ronne, I think it's chiro's that are dodgy, hence my reluctance to go, but from looking at their website they have treated professionals with sports injuries. Keep fingers crossed for me. That's some impressive weights with those triceps. I have some DOMS from PUB yesterday in the chest, and that was using only 10/12/15, sad state my UB is in!

Hi girls! Today did the tabata workout, harder the 2nd time! Maybe I ate my wheaties the first time I did it! Oh Lisa, I hope they can help you! Do you try ice or heat? I ope you didn't have to wait too long for an appointment. Ronne, I think the legs workout is my absolute favorite in the group! So varied, nothing repeated, I love it! Jody, maybe they changed the food when they read everyone's diaries? Do they give you a weeks worth at a time? Is it cooked for you? Have a good week at school. Roxie, did you get your check figured out? Well, we have some drama with the twins, the class rankings came out, I have one in the top 5 and the other in the top 125. So proud of both of them, DD is feeling like a failure because of DS being so high. I just have run out of words of wisdom, she is heartbroken, any guidance? We have never compared them, I get the sense she is doing this to herself, the whole competition thing, Help me! Have to run take little one to dr. We have all ends of the spectrum here! Smart, smarter and one in special ed! Have a good day! Mary

Hi all. Computer is back and running. The person who worked on it before did not put the media player back on teh computer sytem. It seemed to work okay yesterday. Oh, I started taking the weekends off. I could not/can not figure out why I am so sick lately. I know our weather pattern is crazy and there are a lot of things going around here and at the schools, but I feel like I could not shake whatever it was. I still have a cough and cannot sleep on my back (I sleep with my head and chest slightly elevated.)

Today I am chaneling Mary with the tabata. But, I am taking it easy, only the first one with core 1 added and teh bi's and tri's bonus burn added on. Funny, that "short cut" is still 45 minutes long. ???

There seems to be a lot going on -
Roxie, hope things worked out with your check,
Lisa, I hope your neck feels better,
Jody, how is the plan coming along,
Mary, sorry to sound stupid, but why is she comparing the twins' rankings when they are unique individuals with unique gifts, strengths and weaknesses,
Ronne, going away again?

I hope I did not miss anyway. Waves to all.

Murphy

Good Afternoon,

I will do Burn Sets CB&S when I get home and then maybe later do CK25. DD found a really good home for the dog so I don't have to worry about it when they want to show and when we move. DH and I were talking yesterday and I said I wanted to take nutrition classes and he said that is right up my alley he also says he sees me owning my own gym.

Lisa-hope the neck is better.

Mary-I don't think they should rank kids.

Ronne-I was able to take my check to the bank today bank president said they would cover it.

Jody-we have to keep our bodies guessing so trying new workouts is not something to feel bad about.

Well, that was an interesting chiro visit. I didn't get my neck cracked at all. Took xrays, I have compression in C5 and C6, some bone spurs...could have been from accident yrs ago, said that is the beginning of arthritis. They have a chart of phases of how bad you are, I'm somewhere between phase1 and phase2 (goes up to phase 3 and once you are there there is nothing they can do). So, they hooked up some electro-current thing in my neck/shoulders that sent pulses to ease the muscles, made me lay and pump up this thing under my neck to aid in stretching my head back (oh, my head is forward where it should be...I'm not surprised with all the computer work I do), and a tables that had these massage things running up and down my back. Did that for 11 min. I go back Wed (that will be another $40), they estimate 20ish treatments. The plan is to get my neck stretched back and move up to the big neck pump and higher pressure on the back massage things. I have homework to do. 1. roll up a towel and put behind my neck and stretch it out 2. regularly stretch my neck back and look up 3. get a upper cervical traction unit for my home. (see Jody you were close on that). Overdoor Cervical Traction Set - Drive Medical - Allegro Medical Supplies

Mary, when my kids would say about other one being better at xyz, I'd point out that may be true but then point out that child's strengths. We all excel in different areas that's what makes us unique.

Roxie, glad you got the check straightened out.

Lisa-thats a good brand and price for that device we sell alot of those at our store I always try to keep 2 in stock.

Roxie, was thinking maybe the elliptical made my neck worse (I've been doing 2 miles everyday), reason being, the arms are so far forward for me I do feel hunched forward a bit. Any idea? Maybe I'll start not using those arm things.....

Good Evening,

I did BS CB&S felt good I should have went heavier on the bench press.

Lisa-I had someone ask if we stocked that and I wasn't sure what it was but his chiro recommended it and the elliptical could be irritating it I would try it without the arms.

Lisa, my boyf. used the head sling thing for awhile it helped. He prob had old injury but he started having numbness in fingers and blacked out while we were on an older roller coaster at kings island- ohio. I bet impact workouts are a trigger? Even lunges off the step seem like they scrunch up my neck. good luck w/ treatment.

Roxie, glad you found good home for dog! I miss my two but cat lets me pick her up at end of day and hug her.

Murphy maybe you are run down from stress and work?

Mary, hugs to dd. It must be tougher to compete with twin than mere sibling. We all have different gifts and thank goodness they aren't the same ones. Makes me think of my older dd who scores in 99 percentile ACT in language and is merely average in math. Celebrate the gifts and there is nothing wrong with being avg.

Ronne, I'm avoiding the wine for sure on diet but in general I know it isn't good for my brain or body.

I did a cathe circuit this morning and have my xtend this afternoon, in the meantime, off to the quicksands of rampant buffoonery.

Hello, hello, hello

Jody - I feel we may all spend a good portion of our time in those quicksands!! Great description ;). Is adding in extra Cathe 'cheating'?:eek:

Lisa - the chiro sounds good - like he knows what he's talking about at least. Keeping my fingers crossed this sorts you out.

Mary - as Jody said, it must be even harder when you're a twin. Poor kid. Not sure what to advise. Is she better at some stuff than her twin - can you emphasise that? Also, success at school isn't always an indication of later sucess and it depends what you want to do. I was a bit of a prodigy up to about the age of 13, but the rest of my peers caught up with me after that so that may happen with DS yet.

Murphy - sounds like a sensible plan to take time off. Do you need to boost your fruit/veggie intake or take supplements perhaps?

Roxie - glad you got the cheque sorted out!!

Today was BS B&T. Upped my weights a bit - go me! Did 20lbs (just typed 200 there by accident!) for the first round of curls, and did the second two sets of dips on my toes. (Always done all of them on my knees till now.) Feel like I'm getting stronger. I think the rotation is starting to have an effect.
Also added SB Stretch Max on as feeling a bit crunched up.

Out to the cinema again tonight - Lincoln. I'll come back and give you a history lesson tomorrow!!! :eek:

Hi all! Today did XT CB&S. Lisa, how are you feeling? Any better? Jody, he passed out on the roller coaster??? That would have scared the bejesus out of me!!! Ronne, I do love to go to the movies. There is a silly one coming out this week that I would love to see, Identity Thief. Enjoy yourself. Roxie, thank goodness about your check! That is a relief. Murphy, glad to see you are back! Hope that you start feeling better, it does ge so frustrating! Thanks for the words for DD. She is doing better, I have expressed her gifts, etc. I can only imagine what it would be like to have a freakishly smart sibling! (I'm an only). I'm so proud of both of them! And the little one! Almost forgot him! Haha! Have a good day". Mary

Hi all, I slept a bit better last night, yeah me! So, the pain did start up again as I was using my laptop for FB, I thought, oh no, so I did my neck stretch with a rolled up towel, then proceeded to watch the biggest loser and I noticed my pain was gone (whereas normally it would have continued to worsen). I knew I had some forward head posture (just didn't realize it was most of the cause). Not sure why it got so bad lately, then was thinking of the things that I was doing more of that increased my FHP. Spinning, elliptical, then along with all the laptop usage (for work and personal--like this weekend I was looking for quilt patterns), and reading propped up with a gazillion pillows to read. So I'm going to have to be more mindful. My sister who is married to a chiro said that I didn't see a REAL chiro and they would help me find a real one. WTH? I knew I'd get a rise out of her with my FB status. But I feel a good 50% better, and I like that I'm learning techniques to help me deal with this vs just go in, wham, bam, crack, thank you ma'am. Besides my sister's husband (the chiro) has the WORST FHP ever! In profile pictures I even notice his, mine I don't notice so much. I plan to w/o later tonight since I got a late start today, will see what I feel like doing. I forgot to ask about doing UB work, hopefully I'll remember to ask on Wed when I go back.

Ronne, I want to see that movie, I was never into history, so I'm sure I can learn something from that movie.

Mary, my youngest is much smarter (or maybe he just applies himself better) than the oldest. when he would say something like that, I would point out the good qualities he had. It's kind of the same with their body type, I try to stress the strive to be the best you can.

Roxie, owning a gym? wow, that seems like a tall order. I think you'd be great at nutrition/exercise/PT?

Jody, well at least I haven't blacked out :p The chiro was amazed at my lack of flexibility (I try, I just not naturally limber, nor is my siblings). I thought that was pretty normal since Cathe will say, if you can't reach your toes, hold on to your calf (and I'm not as bad as only getting to the calf as an example).

I better run, I really do need to try to limit my computer time!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.