21 years of sobriety!

Aquajock

Cathlete
Greetings, sportsfans - just wanted to swoop in and share my (thankfully annual) celebration of freedom from alcohol, if not alcoholism: tomorrow I will hit the 21-year mark. Some might think I'm tempting fate by posting a celebratory thread the night before the actual Dry Date, but DH and I are in our Sunday Afternoon Slob Attire, and the chances of either of us leaving the couch let alone the house are pretty slim, making the chances of me falling off the wagon and going on a binge (no booze Chez A-Jock) slimmer still.

Few who are NOT sober alcoholics will understand this, but I truly am grateful that I have alcoholism. Although I know alcohol to be a potentially lethal substance for me and many others, and I believe the destructive nature of alcohol is grossly underestimated, being an abstinent alcoholic has taught me a key lesson that I have been able to apply to almost all other meaningful areas of adult life: the answers to most of life's problems are simple. Very simple. One may want to clog up those answers with their own self-pity and fear of the day-in-day-out microchoices that one has to make, but the simple true answers remain the same. I've been able to apply the simplicity of strict abstinence from alcohol to another major lifestyle choice: exercise. Consistent, effective exercise week in and week out is a very simple concept. Not easy some of the time, but very simple. And with Cathe's pre-eminent productions and the mutual support her followers demonstrate on these forums, it almost becomes easy.

From my reading of posts on this forum, several others have made this same simple choice, and many many others have been traumatized by loved ones who either cannot or will not make this simple choice, much though they should. To all of those especially, I extend my heartfelt good wishes.

Keep the faith, people.

And bring on STS's Plyo Legs!

Love,

A-Jock

You are awesome! I always say...it's not what you go through in life it is how you get through it and what you do with it that counts! Congratulations. Thank you for sharing!

KarenL

Congratulations A-Jock

congratualtions.gif

Aquajock,

Thank you for sharing your success with us. I am so happy that you continue to make the decision to remain sober. We have all benefited so much from your presence here on this board. You have often encouraged me and challenged me and sometimes tried to kill me (with your mish-moshes) without even knowing it. I value your opinion and have enjoyed "getting to know" you on this forum. Thanks for being here.

Congratulations, A-jock! 21 years is a long time without a drink. I've read your recovery story on the forums before and you've done a great job of turning your life around.

I know what you mean by having family members that refuse to take the simple step of choosing sobriety and the tragic results of that refusal. Dh has 21 years of sobriety (May) and I have 18 (February)--but we have both have many family members who still drink to their own (and their families') destruction.

I look forward to celebrating year 22 with you--one day at a time!

Maggie

>...the answers to most of life's problems are simple. Very simple.

Amen to that...however simple doesn't necessarily mean easy. Kudos to you for all of your hard work and success!

Congrats A-J!

Congratulations on another year. I look forward to the 4th of July then Cathe's b-day on 7/20 followed by your awesome "Sobriety" message. Thanks for sharing and adding so much to this community!

326484392.jpg

*** Cynthia ***

That is AWESOME, A-Jock!!!!!

Congratulations on another year of sobriety. Here is to many more years. You rock!!!!

Wow!!!

Thanks to everyone for your responses! I'll admit the new Forum Format has me a bit confused, so posting and responding feel a tad "differnt". But the support and fellowship remain the same!

Speaking of mish-moshes:

Last year I bought a DVD recorder on sale, one where you record onto a blank disc whatever is playing on the TV in real time, be it broadcast TV or a DVD. This has enabled me to create custom workout mixes from Cathe's many million workouts among discs, across discs, etc., to the extent that my custom mixes make my toughest "mish-mosh" look like child's play. Anyone who wants to take Cathe to the next level: the DVD recorder is Da Bomb!

Thanks again!

A-Jock

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.