1RM Test - So Easy a Caveman can do it

entering new 1 rep max

I've realized in some exercises I either overestimated my 1 rep max (especially dumbells since 1 arm is weaker than another) or underestimated by 1RM. When I go to the calculator and enter it, it automatically reverts to the information I originally entered. How can I change it?
Thank you

I've realized in some exercises I either overestimated my 1 rep max (especially dumbells since 1 arm is weaker than another) or underestimated by 1RM. When I go to the calculator and enter it, it automatically reverts to the information I originally entered. How can I change it?
Thank you

If you have downloaded a rotation into the calendar or have a scheduled an STS workout in the calendar, just click on the date of the workout and then click on the show details link on the right sidebar for your STS workout. Then click on the "Edit Workout" button. You will now see your workout card. Click on the edit icon for the exercise you want to change your 1RM for. It will ask you what weight you think is the weight you should be using for that exercise and then will reverse calculate your 1RM for you.

For example, if your 1RM is 40 lbs for one arm rows and you are supposed to lift 80% of your 1RM (or 32lbs)for a particular exercise, but it was just too heavy when you tried the exercise....Just click on the edit icon by One Arm Rows in the Calendar and then enter the weight you felt you should have used (say 25 lbs). Your 1RM will now be reversed calculated and all future workouts will be based on your new 1RM.

One-rep Max Approach

I just received my STS on Friday. I understand what to do to get 1-rep max, but can anyone tell me the most organized way to approach the one-rep max? I want to do all of them, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Should I just follow the order on pages 104-111 in users' guide? Should I plan to complete this in several sessions or all at once? Any help would be appreciated!

Hi there

I am going through the DVD for week one ( I just received the STS workout) and I am going through the 1RM exercise by exercise. I find that my 1RM and the AV 1RM that the workout manager gives me are almost identicle (i.e I am guessing correctly) If I can do say 12 reps of a barbell curl with 15 kilos, and my 1RM calculation is 14 kilos , and I have to use 60%, am I really using just 8.4 kilos to do this exercise? It seems too light! Not sure if Im explaining myself very well! Im still confused! :confused:

I'm not sure how your getting 14 kilos. If you do a 1RM test for barbell curls using 15 kilos and you max out at 12 reps your one rep max would be 22 kilos, not 14 kilos.

o.m.g!!!!!!!!!! i feel very silly indeed (blush! :eek:) i was taking OFF 60% not adding! what an idiot! oh, now i´m really scared! wow, those weights are gonna be heavy!!!!!! but in the workout manager, i can´t see where it calculates the percentage. not that it matters, i can work them out myself!

There is an example that I have copy & pasted below of how to calculate a 1rm (I have put it in asterixs)

*You would then go to the 1RM calculator and select “Barbell Curl, Standing” from the exercise list. For the next step, you would enter “50 lbs” for your weight lifted and “12 reps” for actual reps performed. Click the calculate button and our 1RM calculator shows that your maximum lifting weight (1RM) for “Barbell Curl, Standing” is estimated to be 72 pounds. Once we know this number we can easily tell you what weight you should use for any intensity level.*

so for 60% of the 1rm in this case, you´d times 60% x 72 right? i.e 43 pounds. Sorry, I still don´t get it! aaagggghhhhh!

One more "DUH" question

I've been doing the 1RM tests integrated with my workout. The first time I did them, I did them before the workout actually started. That made for a VERY lengthy workout. The 2nd time, I just sort of popped them in with the workout. Should I actually do them on a non-weight day? I just hate hauling the equipment out.

1RM Test

One Rep Max testing is something you should do before starting the STS program, not during it. This will then give you a guide to know what weights to use once the program starts.

For all the hard work put in to STS, the process for calculating 1RM is cumbersome, annoying and time consuming. Finding the exercise in the drop down menu is tedious as the exercise name is listed but not the number-many of the names are very similar. There are over 80 exercises that have a 1RM test listed on the 1RM print out with a still photo of the exercise, not showing the start and end point of the movement (the video will be an improvement).

A few suggestions:
1. Make a DVD that takes one through all the exercises that need a 1RM. We print the 1RM form, fill it in as we go. Doing a 1RM test for all 80+ exercises is 2 or 3 workouts in themselves.
2. Have a search option on the on 1RM exercise page to search by exercise number.
3. Have the option to sort the exercises in the drop down menus by number, alphabetically, by DVD. (yes STS is listed by dvd, none of the others are.)
4. List the number of the exercise next to the name, as it is on the 1RM printout, in the drop down menus.
5. The 1RM print out should group and list the exercises by the DVD on which they appear the first time in the STS series.
6. Have a search option, by number and name, in the column that lists the exercises for which we have calculated the 1RM. Scrolling through that long list is tedious.

thanks for reading.

ITA with all this, as the whole 1RM thing has put me off buying this set and I'm sure I'm not the only one! Since Cathe and crew are about to film the new workouts, perhaps also have them film a detailed instructional 1RM test that can be downloaded which shows them doing all the exercises required for 1RM testing.

1RM Testing

Taking a 1RM test is very simple to do. We already have video clips of every exercise that you need to take a 1RM test for right in the Workout Manager. Once you get started you will see just how easy this is. If you have questions we're happy to answer them right in this forum.

1RM testing will help you with any strength training video, not just STS. But this is not something you have to do. If you prefer, as many people do, to select your weights by feel and past experience that is fine too. Just keep in mind that studies show that people who don't take a1RM test usually select a weight that much lighter than they should have and this negatively affects their workout results.

Thank you SNM!

Taking a 1RM test is very simple to do. We already have video clips of every exercise that you need to take a 1RM test for right in the Workout Manager. Once you get started you will see just how easy this is. If you have questions we're happy to answer them right in this forum.

1RM testing will help you with any strength training video, not just STS. But this is not something you have to do. If you prefer, as many people do, to select your weights by feel and past experience that is fine too. Just keep in mind that studies show that people who don't take a1RM test usually select a weight that much lighter than they should have and this negatively affects their workout results.

I've just had a good long look through the STS section in the Workout Manager and you're right, it does look easy! Very impressive - I had no idea it was so comprehensive and detailed - didn't realise the videos were there either. Thanks again SNM!

I purchased STS & very excited to start but I have a question ( sorry if this have been asked ) do I have to do 1RM with all 36dvd?

How would I count my reps on the 1RM for an exercise like #181 Barbell Curl Wide Grip when you lift 1/2way up for 7 reps then start at the top and go 1/2way down for 7 reps then do a complete lift for 7 reps? How many reps would I enter into the calculation?

I used an 11 lb. barbell with 20 lbs. on it (for a total of 31 lbs.) and maxed at doing the complete exercise after 7 reps. There a a few exercises like this one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.