1RM Test - So Easy a Caveman can do it

"You need to experience failure as close to 10 reps as possible when you do a test. The results from a 1RM test of 20 reps are almost worthless as they will be highly inaccurate."

SNM-regarding your note quoted above...would it be possible to change the 1RM test in Workout Manager so that the larger numbers are not offered as choices? It sounds like 10 reps to failure is optimum. Is it still pretty good up to 12? 15? Maybe you could just cut it off at whatever highest number you think still gives a valid test.

I was thinking that we should only be doing the one rep max for each mesocycle separately? or should they all be done first before starting sts?

soon2bfit!

Many of the same exercises will be in all 3 Meso Cycles. When you enter your 1RM for each exercise, the calculator will do the rest as far as testing for all 3 Meso's. Does that make sense? You enter your number ONE TIME and it will caluculate 60%, 65% or whatever that workout calls for without you redoing the same exercise. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks it does. Here is a question I am hoping you can answer. What is the difference or the advantage/ disadvantage to doing sts over 3 1/2 month rotation or a 6 1/2 month rotation?

I am not sure. Maybe Cathe or Chris can comment on that. I had thought about redoing the weeks and extending the rotation to 6 months but, then, decided I was too excited to see EACH workout so opted for the 3 month version. I may just re-do the 3 months AGAIN after we finish. One advantage of redoing the weeks would be knowing what is coming and being better prepared especially if you write down what weights you used and if it was too heavy or too light. Have fun whatever you choose.

Thanks for posting this info it was very helpful. I will go back, increase the weights and re-do my I rep max test for any entries where I was able to do 20+ reps

You need to experience failure as close to 10 reps as possible when you do a test. The results from a 1RM test of 20 reps are almost worthless as they will be highly inaccurate.

If you look at the 6 1/2 month rotation in the workout manager you will see that the dvds are repeated in order in the begining and then they are mixed up as the time progresses. Does anyone have any thoughts on which rotaion to use. It would appear that the 6 1/2 month rotation is not just simply the 3 month doubled up or repeated from begining to end.

1RM

For all the hard work put in to STS, the process for calculating 1RM is cumbersome, annoying and time consuming. Finding the exercise in the drop down menu is tedious as the exercise name is listed but not the number-many of the names are very similar. There are over 80 exercises that have a 1RM test listed on the 1RM print out with a still photo of the exercise, not showing the start and end point of the movement (the video will be an improvement).

A few suggestions:
1. Make a DVD that takes one through all the exercises that need a 1RM. We print the 1RM form, fill it in as we go. Doing a 1RM test for all 80+ exercises is 2 or 3 workouts in themselves.
2. Have a search option on the on 1RM exercise page to search by exercise number.
3. Have the option to sort the exercises in the drop down menus by number, alphabetically, by DVD. (yes STS is listed by dvd, none of the others are.)
4. List the number of the exercise next to the name, as it is on the 1RM printout, in the drop down menus.
5. The 1RM print out should group and list the exercises by the DVD on which they appear the first time in the STS series.
6. Have a search option, by number and name, in the column that lists the exercises for which we have calculated the 1RM. Scrolling through that long list is tedious.

thanks for reading.

Where do you find your percentage of 1RM? I understand how to calculate the 1RM, but I'm wondering how/where to locate the percentage that is called for in each workout. Is it somewhere in the one rep max calculator and I'm missing it? I can always just figure the percentage myself also.

For all the hard work put in to STS, the process for calculating 1RM is cumbersome, annoying and time consuming. Finding the exercise in the drop down menu is tedious as the exercise name is listed but not the number-many of the names are very similar. There are over 80 exercises that have a 1RM test listed on the 1RM print out with a still photo of the exercise, not showing the start and end point of the movement (the video will be an improvement).

A few suggestions:
1. Make a DVD that takes one through all the exercises that need a 1RM. We print the 1RM form, fill it in as we go. Doing a 1RM test for all 80+ exercises is 2 or 3 workouts in themselves.
2. Have a search option on the on 1RM exercise page to search by exercise number.
3. Have the option to sort the exercises in the drop down menus by number, alphabetically, by DVD. (yes STS is listed by dvd, none of the others are.)
4. List the number of the exercise next to the name, as it is on the 1RM printout, in the drop down menus.
5. The 1RM print out should group and list the exercises by the DVD on which they appear the first time in the STS series.
6. Have a search option, by number and name, in the column that lists the exercises for which we have calculated the 1RM. Scrolling through that long list is tedious.

thanks for reading.

I agree that it would be easier if the exercise number appeared in the drop down menu - but I've noticed in doing my 1RM that the exercises are pretty much listed in the order they appear on the DVDs.

Recalculating 1RM

Hi,

I was wondering if recalculation of my 1RM is recommended at a specific frequency during my progression through STS, perhaps at the beginning of each cycle. I assume that as strength gains become apparent, and to continue to derive maximum benefits from the program, that the 1RM will need to be recalculated to continue to challenge my muscles. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!:confused:
Thank you

I also agree with having the exercise number appear in the drop down menus.

Could you also expand that to having a sort function to sort the exercise numbers under "My One Rep Max Results" box on the right-hand side of the page??

I am enjoying the workouts and I'm expecting many 1RMs to go up!

Thank you. Barbara

Hello, I am new to the board, but not to Cathe. I just purchased STS and I am very excited. I want to start the 1RM testing right away but I have one question. I apologize if this has been answered already. Are we supposed to record total weight or 1 dumbell weight ? Thanks so much for answering.

Okay this may sound like a really dum question. But once you have found your 1rm say: 43, this is the total wtg. you should be using? barbell 43pds, db 20 pd each? I really do not mean to beat this into the ground but....
Reason why I'm asking is I'm planning to buy the complete system in March and I want to have this down before I begin. I do not want anything to stand, sit, crowd in my way

Last edited:
If you're using a barbell for an exercise you need to enter the total weight of the barbell. If you're using dumbbells you should enter just the weight of one dumbbell into the 1RM calculator.

I just ordered STS and was looking over all the threads, I'm still a little confused on the 1RM in the workout manager Cathe does 12 reps with 30 lbs her 1RM is 43, does that mean she should be using 43 lbs of weight? Is it calculating how much weight we should be using? Also what is the 1rm avg?

Sandi, the 1RM is the highest weight you can lift with good form for one rep. You wouldn't be able to do 12 reps at your 1RM weight.

The Workout Manager takes this number and then figures out how much you should be lifting for each workout (one week calls for 65% of your 1RM, the next calls for 70% of your 1RM, etc...and you slowly move up the scale as you get stronger). You could do the math yourself, but the WM makes it much easier.

Example: If my 1RM for a bicep curl is 15 lbs., then I should be able to curl a 15 lb. dumbbell with good form one time. If a workout calls for 65% of my 1RM, then 65% of 15 lbs. would be a little under 10 lbs.

10 lbs. would be the weight I'd use for that workout, and ideally I should be able to lift that weight for the prescribed amount of reps (15 or so).

My muscles don't always agree with the numbers though. :eek: I've had to lower the suggested weight more than once.

Hope I answered your first question!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.