Upper Body Only for Knee Problem!

TG007

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and Everyone :)

My knees are bothering me! I have pain on the outside of my right knee and pain in the front on the outside of my left knee.

This leaves me unable to bend my left knee without pain. But strangely I can do squats only.

However, I think even doing the squats might be more harm than good.

I'm unable to do cardio workouts either.

I'm 51 by the way (in case that needs to be put into consideration) 5' tall and about 116-117 lbs. I've gain a few pounds during the last few years due to bad diet.

I need to get back to at least 111 lbs or less.... like 100lbs (unrealistic)!

I've been working with Cathe for over 10 years. But since last year my knees don't like her cardio workouts all that much even though I love those workouts a lot!

So my questions are...

Is it ok to work on upper body only until my knees heel?

I'm thinking about using STS without legs and do it 4 times a week.

For example, on Mesocycle 1:
Monday Disc 1: Chest, Shoulders and Biceps
Tuesday Disc 2: Back and Triceps
Wed : Rest
Th: Disc 4 : Chest, Shoulders and Biceps
Fri : Disc 5: Back and Triceps
Sat: Rest
Sun: Disc 7 : Chest, Shoulders and Biceps
Mon: Disc 8: Back and Triceps
Tue: Rest

and so on.....

(I also have other Cathe's videos)

I can't think of any cardio workouts that I can do at all.

Any advice is very welcome!

Thanks!
TG

Last edited:
I am 51 as well, have worked out with cathe's w/o for at least 10 years if not longer. Last year I felt something pop in my knee in a yoga workshop. I rested for a few weeks and then my knee swelled and hurt whenever I bent it, knelt etc..I went to the Dr and was told I had severe osteoarthritis. The dr said I could keep exercising just not to over do it. I continued to do upper body but was cautious when I knelt. I bought 2 knee pad/braces at target and used them whenever I walked. I eventually started doing a few of cathe's w/o that are low impact. It has been a year since that happened, I go to yoga classes once a week now, I can do most of cathe's w/o but avoid the high impact.
Have you seen a dr or had an MRI to diagnose your knee issue? If not you really should, it may be arthritis like mine, or you could have a tear in a ligament. I would get a diagnosis and then you will know what your limitations should be.

TG

Hi TG, are you Tigger?

If you are and if your not, I'm really sorry to hear about your knees.
Hope you and your knees feel better soon.

Brigitte:)

Hi TG, are you Tigger?

If you are and if your not, I'm really sorry to hear about your knees.
Hope you and your knees feel better soon.

Brigitte:)

No I'm not Tigger :)

Thank you! I am resting and just working the upper body.

However, last 2 times I felt the back and had to stop.

I'm falling apart and only 51 !

I am 51 as well, have worked out with cathe's w/o for at least 10 years if not longer. Last year I felt something pop in my knee in a yoga workshop. I rested for a few weeks and then my knee swelled and hurt whenever I bent it, knelt etc..I went to the Dr and was told I had severe osteoarthritis. The dr said I could keep exercising just not to over do it. I continued to do upper body but was cautious when I knelt. I bought 2 knee pad/braces at target and used them whenever I walked. I eventually started doing a few of cathe's w/o that are low impact. It has been a year since that happened, I go to yoga classes once a week now, I can do most of cathe's w/o but avoid the high impact.
Have you seen a dr or had an MRI to diagnose your knee issue? If not you really should, it may be arthritis like mine, or you could have a tear in a ligament. I would get a diagnosis and then you will know what your limitations should be.

Thank you :)

We suspect the ligaments ! We think they're inflamed because I did HiiT without thinking of my aging body. Jumping up and down the box and a lot of squats and more jumps. The injury could be building up for sometime. I think first pain was last year. I should be able to see the doctor next month.

Last edited:
I'm falling apart!

Yes, I am..... at such a young age too :eek:

Only 51!

I feel terrible. I want to be in shape but I can't do much these days.

I've been not using my knees and the pain has gone away (almost all) when I go up or down stairs.

But I'm still very careful. I use elevator when I go to the gym 2nd floor. I'm only doing the arm row thing. No legs.

I was doing STS Mesocycle 2... only upper body because I didn't want the knee problem to deter me from better body!

But last time I did chest and triceps it seemed to hurt my back. May be I was using too heavy weight? (30 lbs for chest presses)

So I'm resting completely. Haven't done any workout for 3 days now.

Today I'm looking at MMA: Fusion, Kickbox and boxing with hopeful eye. I think I might be ok with these but I decided not to bother. I might hurt something else in my aged body. :(

Last edited:
Hi ladies I think is good idea if Cathe made a série only for people with some knes and back problems,I love low imlac séries but they are hig impact When you are with this problem.

Hi ladies I think is good idea if Cathe made a série only for people with some knes and back problems,I love low imlac séries but they are hig impact When you are with this problem.

My thought exactly.

I used the low impact workout DVDs but there are a lot of knee bending.
I think that's what did me in! That.... and my age :eek:

Last edited:
I just found the forums on Cathe after, at age 72, getting an arthritis diagnosis in my knees. I have always jumped doing step aerobics with weights DVDs at home. I’m trying to adjust by walking through the same workouts now. It is helpful to read about others who are trying to adjust. But I’m not sweating! Can anyone suggest the best Cathe workouts for those with arthritis. I want to preserve my strength and aerobic capacity as long as possible. I’m sure we all do . Thank you for any advice....others in the situation or Cathe experts. In response to those above, I agree.....can Cathe help us preserve our knees.

Her Low Impact Series will make you sweat! Cardio super sets and afterburn utilize weights with cardio, 2 tough workouts.
I also really enjoy doing her advanced Fit tower workouts. Bootcamp has some jumping, but can be easily modified to lower impact. I do them with "careful impact", and it doesn't seem to bother my knees.
I feel you can do any of her workouts, just learn to modify moves that seem to aggravate your knees. I have slowly started to put some impact back into my workouts, so far my knees are tolerating it.
It is also important to add strength training into your workouts to prevent sarcopenia.

I just found the forums on Cathe after, at age 72, getting an arthritis diagnosis in my knees. I have always jumped doing step aerobics with weights DVDs at home. I’m trying to adjust by walking through the same workouts now. It is helpful to read about others who are trying to adjust. But I’m not sweating! Can anyone suggest the best Cathe workouts for those with arthritis. I want to preserve my strength and aerobic capacity as long as possible. I’m sure we all do . Thank you for any advice....others in the situation or Cathe experts. In response to those above, I agree.....can Cathe help us preserve our knees.

I have a stiff low back most of the time have to favor that and my knees by wearing knee sleeves. I really have to be careful doing lunges and squats. Squat thrust are pretty much out of the question I'm 38 :(..but in very good shape so far

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.