Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 2/18

Good morning,

No workout. I spent the day at the hospital. Things are not any better.

Judy, glad you are better. It does sound like it could be an inner ear infection. Do you have KCM's "Lift" DVD? That is one where she does Olympic lifting. I did not really like it. I did like the other workout on the DVD....don't remember the name right now.

Valerie, that is too bad about your brother. Unfortunately, some people resist any help when it comes to their health. I am another one that does not really like the smell of hard boiled eggs, but I do like them and find that rinsing them really well after peeling helps. Although I have not had one in quite a while, I like Kind bars too, nice that you can get them almost anywhere.

Diane Sue, so sorry about your friend. That is so sad for her. I thought the price of the Bulletproof bars on Amazon had to be a misprint, it was so high. I thought that when KCM did a combo workout, that she shortened or skipped some parts of both of them, and added the W/U and C/D's. What is ibotta?

Lori, I like the original Raw workouts, but not enough to subscribe to her streaming. I have my hands full with Cathe Live...LOL. Have you tried any of the Live kickboxing workouts?

Hi to Carolyn,

Heading off to the hospital...

Take care,

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Barlates 100 Rep Challenge Total Body Blaster 2. It wasn't as hard as it sounds and it was perfect for an easier day. I did 3 x 20 minute segments, Squat Kick, Cardio Core, and Biceps & Triceps. The Squat Kick and Cardio Core were low impact. Biceps & Triceps were done with 2 lbs weights and even doing all the reps it didn't seem that difficult. Next time I would probably go up to 3 or 4 lbs.

Deb-Sending prayers for your friend and her family :( I do have KCM's Lift DVD and I've never cared for the Olympic Lifting part either. I had subscribed to KCM's streaming but I decided to cancel for now. I'm sure they are good workouts but I wasn't doing them and I hate to pay for something I'm not using. Someone asked KCM on FB if she was going to continue making DVDs and she said she would as long as people were buying them. Cathe's is the only streaming I subscribe to now and I want to focus on using that more.

Diane Sue-That is very sad about your friend :( I can't even imagine what she is going through.
I agree about the price of the Bullet Proof bars on Amazon, I couldn't believe it when I saw it.

Lori-Thanks, hopefully I won't need to go to urgent care. I think you will like KCM's new series.

Valerie-I'm sorry about your brother. That is frustrating when you are trying so hard to help someone. Amazing that you carried 25 lb back packs for 5 hours! You are strong!

Carolyn-Nice workouts! Like Lori, I also miss the WS3 workouts.

Judy

Today I did Fit Split Pull Day only for 46 minutes and 176 calories burned. Average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate 144. My lower back was bothering me a bit when I got up today so I went lighter on deadlifts and skipped the 3rd set. I also did a 5 minute Yoga Tune-up Quick Fix for Lower back.

Deb, my thoughts and prayers are with your friend and her family.

Judy, that sounds like a good workout for a lower intensity day. I will choose something light for tomorrow to give my low back a break.

Hello to Diane Sue, Valerie, and Lori.

Today I did Kelly's Build and Burn Kick box Kettle bell fusion, 25 minutes, 166 calories, met 5.8, 1,672 steps average heart rate 131, max 158. I then did Fit Split Boxing Boot camp timesaver mix #2 kickboxing + bonus abs, 47 minutes, 311 calories, met 5.9, heart rate 127 average, max 158, 3,288 steps. I finished off with Suzanne Bowen's Barre Amped relaxation stretch 14 minutes, 31 calories. Total time was 87 minutes, 503 calories. I kept out a 15# and a 20# kettle bell, as when I do moves that affect the shoulders like overhead press I prefer using the 15#. I use 20# for the swings and lawnmowers.

Deb, I am so sorry that things are not improving at the hospital. I found that lift dvd was a bit easier if I used dumbbells instead of the barbell and did not go too heavy. At first I picked up a fairly heavy barbell and it was tough, I didn't want to go back and do it again. The second workout is Power Sculpt. I guess I did not pull that one out when I was going through my Kelly workouts. I need to do that one. Ibotta is an app. I have got a lot of money back off of shopping. I put in my stores that I usually shop at, like Sprouts, then check and see what rebates are available. When I purchase, I go home and pull up my rebates, scan my receipt, and make sure I got all of the rebates in, I have to scan the UPC codes for most items at Sprouts, Walmart I can scan the QR code and it will pop up my savings. I send it in and they give me the money. I generally get a couple of extra bonus dollars for shopping each month. There are bonus rebates you can get. If I go to Amazon through the Ibotta app and shop, they will give me a percent back for most of the items. I did learn that those items cannot already be in my cart or I get nothing. I get money back on Gertie's dog food and toys, coffee, beauty items, clothing, they have grocery and I bought my dishwasher soap and laundry soap. They just added Whole Foods to their system. I was able to buy my husband's weight bench with the barbell attachment and some weight plates with money I got back. There is a lot more to it. You can get friends involved and there is a team bonus earning. I just have my daughter who got me to do it. Anyway, I am liking it a lot. I am starting to sound like an advertisement LOL I also do the Walmart savings catcher, but never get much out of it.
Also, Ibotta gives you different ways to get your cash. You can have it put in your Pay Pal account. I have mine given to me in Amazon gift cards. Right now I have 50 dollars I could use, but am leaving it for awhile till I get more.

Judy, that sounds like a good workout. I want to do Kelly's Streaming, but I am like you, I want to be sure it is a time that I will do it. I don't want to pay for something that I am not using. I am hoping she makes some new dvd that will have similar stuff that she is coming up with on her streaming service.

Carolyn, I am wanting to mix the push and pull days with Kelly's Build and Burn upper. I was looking and thinking maybe the single set mix of those days, I need to figure out the time lengths and see if that is a feasable goal or if I should just skip mixing them up. I think that Tabata legs and FS lower will work out fine though. Those yoga tune ups are nice for a quick help with sore areas.

Deb, that is sad about your friend. does not sound like things are improving for her.
diane sue... two sons and a husband is an incredible loss to suffer!

I have been surprised at Amazon prices sometimes. mostly they are LOW, but not always, especially on grocery items. I've looked for food products before and been horrified at how much$$$. my sister was looking for some products she can't find locally and wanted me to order them for her but the prices were ridiculous.... for things like wheat bran and some sugar free chocolate chips she wanted.

we went xc skiing again this morning but not as good luck. we picked a river road, and it had been chewed up over the weekend. we never got beyond the chewed up parts so will try another place Saturday. as long as it stays cold, the snow is nice quality and not crusty or icy. so 2 hours total today. a workout but less intense. too many people had 4 wheeled over it and not worth the long drive.

talked to my brother and he is still in the hospital. the opened and drained his wound last night. he is on IV antibiotics. his doctor thought it was a gout attack but it flared up over the weekend into what was an obvious infection so he was admitted. he has no idea where it came from as he says he is very careful with his foot care since his previous toe problem. most likely a staph infection. they don't know for sure yet.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Cardio Leg Blast. I only did the first 6 rounds because I wanted to do the new LEKfit Bounce. :). Total time was 54 mins / 440 cal. This was my only workout. Tomorrow’s workout is 78 mins...mixed cardio and xtrains bis and tris. Little long for before work. Thinking I will save this for saturday and sub in something else for tomorrow. Today’s Live looks great. Need to fit this is somewhere.

Deb...I am so sorry about your friend. I love all her Live Kickboxing workouts but I usually do not do the weights at the end. Some have them some some do not. My favorite is Warrior Kickboxing. Love this one. Right now I am streaming 5 sites! Yikes!!! I am not ready to part with any of them just yet but no way will I add on.

Judy...are the 100 rep challenges on youtube? I think yes but not sure. I agree KCM has some nice workouts but not enough yet. Funny though I started with Cathe on day 1 of her streaming and was very happy!! Lol!

Diane Sue...I need to keep that in mind when I do KCM’s new workouts. I do not use kettlebells and need to make sure I go lighter with the weights when I first do this workout. Great workout today! I have no idea what the Ibotta app is. Need to look this up!

Valerie...agree...Amazon prices are not always the best. Well that stinks having the trails so chewed up. This certainly would not be pleasant. Hoping your brother is better soon.

Hi to Carolyn!

Thank for the thoughts on my friend's loss. In the last two years she has became more frail. She had a cancer surgery which she seemed to recover from, but it took a lot out of her since she is 82. Then her neighbor was was going to drive her somewhere and she started driving before my friend got into the car. She messed up her foot and now she carries a cane around. She was always playing outside with the children and so vibrant. I feel so bad for her. And this neighbor, who was always taking her food and checking on her had a heart attack and died not long ago. It is a lot to take.

Valerie, that is terrible what is happening to your brother's foot. I hope it gets better. You would think that he would want to take care of his foot. I have not bought a lot of food products from Amazon. Once in awhile when I cannot find something I am wanting. My son in law said he did the grocery thing before. I think you have to use the Amazon Pantry or something. I am not sure how that all works. You pay one price for shipping and add products. I have noticed they often add enough to the products to make up for the free shipping when it comes to groceries. I have purchased Lily's sugar free chocolate chips and they are expensive even in Sprouts. They have sugar alcohols in them and I can't eat them. I bought them for my husband when he was dieting.

Lori, is that workout for tomorrow in the Cathe rotation? It does seem like it would be long. If you had the dvd you could do shorter premixes that are like single sets instead of multiple. You could probably make it that way though since you know how to. I was trying to figure out how I could mix FS upper with KCM Build and Burn Upper Body Supersets. It is hard when you have so many workouts that you would like to do and you can't do all of them at once :) Kelly does have someone using a dumbbell. She uses a 15# kettle bell and Marcus uses the blue 20#. I am liking the Ibotta app once I got the hang of using it. I tried another one that I saw and I am not sure I like it so much. It is much more complicated and not much of a database of product choices. Particularly healthy ones. Ibotta also has rebates on travel and hotels and that sort of thing, I think. I haven't looked at those because I am not going anywhere :)

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. Things are about the same at the hospital. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

Judy, I can see how it would be difficult to have multiple streaming sources and try to use all of them, plus all the new DVD's that we have been seeing lately. Are you still experiencing vertigo? Are the 100 rep challenges that are on YouTube the Cathe ones?

Carolyn, great workout, understand why would do the weight work with no deadlifts. Hope your back is better today.

Diane Sue, that is sad about your friend and her neighbor. Yes, Power Sculpt is the one I was thinking of. If I remember right, I liked it a lot. I need to pull that one out again. Wow that app sounds great. I will definitely look into it. I don't have Sprouts, and I don't shop at Walmart that much, but I do use Amazon a lot. Just that would be worth it. Can I get it on a desktop computer, or is it just an app for IOS or Android? I have been hesitant to try any of those types of programs/apps. I used to use Ebates, but I swear I got a computer virus from them so I stopped using it.

Valerie, sorry to hear about your brother. It's too bad the place you tried to ski was not as great as the other day.

Lori, 5 sites?? Yikes....:). I would be so overwhelmed trying to pick one to do and fretting that I had some that I was not using...but that is me. LOL...I know you are doing a lot and most likely getting use out of all of them.

Take care,

Deb-I haven't had any more vertigo attacks this week. I've been trying to avoid doing anything that might trigger one. The 100 rep challenges that are on YouTube are Linda Wooldridge's:

Deb, I dont know if you can use Ibotta on a computer. I use my android phone. There are many more stores available to use. I just went to thevsearch button and entered ones thatbI shop in. They even have stores like 7 Eleven, Homeland, Dollar Store, home depot ( which I have onlybseen rebates for a couple of cleaners on) , Joanns. There is a long list. I use Lookout on my phone and Avast on my tablet. I have been using Ibotta for around 6 months now. I have always been leary of those apps, but my daughter kept telling me about it and they have been using it for several years, so I gave in. Now the other I tried recently, i already quit. It wants too much information and then it really does not explain its points system and cashing out.

Judy, for some reason I had thought you were talking about Cathes 100 rep challenges. I will have to check these out.

Today I started with Build and Burn Tabata Legs, 29 minutes, 169 calories, met 4.8, heart rate average 105, max 138, 1,115 steps. I then did Fit Split legs and glutes timesaver mix#3 skipping all but 2 minutes of the warm up, 32 minutes, 165 calories, met 4.7, hert rate average 105, max 130, 1,063 steps. Total time was 61 minutes, 334 calories Neither workout has rests between sets , so move fairly fast. I am still contemplating how I want to do upper tomorrow as I would like a bit of cardio tomorrow as well. I have two birthday cakes to make and decorate tomorrow and birthday dinner and decorating. I guess I will see what I accomplish today. I think the roads are better and we are above freezing so I need to make a couple of errand trips.
weights
B&B tabata legs
banded side steps med band
kickstand dead lifts 15# dbs 6 rt 6 lt, 20# dbs 6 rt, 6 lt
squat variations 20# dbs 6 regular, 6 reps right, 6 left
side lunge into knee pull bodyweight 2 sets
front and back lunges 20# dumbbells 2 sets right and left
split stance plyo pops bodyweight
plié variations 15# dbs 4 sets
wide stance deadlift squat ups 15# dbs 4 sets
bridges 8 sets
Fit Split weights gliding disc warm up sets, I did not dot he kickbox warm up
deadlifts 30# dbs 12 reps
squats 25# dbs 16 reps
rear lunge off step 12# dbs
forward diagonal lunges 15# dbs
push dips off step 12# dbs 15 and 3 sets of 7
deadlift 25# dbs 12 reps
cross back slide lunge 12# dbs
slide lunge side 15# dbs
elevated lunges 15# dbs
single leg deadlift 30# dbs

I have bought food products from amazon but mostly discontinued or locally unavailable items. a last resort.

I found the chocolate chips my sister wanted at Walmart. Diane sue, they are sugar alcohol sweetened chips. I wouldn't use them. she has T2 diabetes and thinks she could make chocolate chip cookies this way and raise her blood glucose less. the cookie recipe needs baking blends of Splenda/ sugar. by the time she gets all the weird special ingredients, she could make a regular, standard recipe chocolate chip cookie, freeze them and have occasionally, not a regular menu item. going to all these extremes makes me think she wants a 'freebie" excuse to eat half a batch of cookies in a sitting .
She is the sister who can't drive anymore. she has limitations on where, how often she can shop. I order heavy things, like dog food, kitty litter and get them delivered. BUT... it's too complicated to start ordering most of her regular groceries. there are stores she could order online, get free home delivery after a certain $$ expenditure but she has no computer, no internet service and does not show signs of trying to change that. Grocery delivery looks like it will become more available but I would have to order item by item, after getting a list from her. put it on my card. have her reimburse me via snail mail. Ugh.
I try to be helpful but do not want to be an enabler, long term, this is not sustainable. I don't want to shop online and order all her supplies. this is not a temporary situation that will get better, as if she is recovering from surgery and needed special help for a few weeks.

Talked to brother, he is doing better. He insists he is very diligent with foot care, and that it is about 99% likely staph. hopefully this will be treated successfully.

will do an indoor workout today. probably upper body weights and core. I'm happy not having too many choices! Carolyn smart to go easy on deadlifts. I never push weight on those. Judy hope the ENT person can help sort out what has caused vertigo for you.

I did look and if I do single sets from push and pull on fit split and Kelly's Upper Super sets doing 1 warm up, I think I could get all of the upper in in less than an hour. Maybe a short cardio afterward like Fit Split Mixed Impact cardio :) I will see.

Valerie, I think that even Sprouts is advertising grocery delivery now. Walmart has the pick up program that my daughter uses. Unfortunately they substitute sometimes and I would worry about getting the best products. Particularly with produce and meats. I would be sick if I ate those cookies. I thought the splenda blend still had some sugar in it. Or is it just straight splenda. Either way it tastes awful. I would rather not have the dessert myself. That is good that your brother is doing better. It is really nice of you to help your sister like that.

Today I did KCM’s Cardio Quick Fix, both workouts for 45 minutes. Total calories burned was 341, average heart rate 131 and maximum heart rate 147. After that I did the WS3 Deep Stretch for an additional 33 minutes and 60 calories burned. My lower back feels better today.

Judy, thanks for the Barlates video. It’s amazing how much work you can do with those light weights.

Deb, thinking of your friend and her family. I hope things get better for them.

Diane Sue, good lower body workout combination. Your upper body plan for tomorrow looks like a good one. You can get it done in a reasonable amount of time. I am not of fan of ordering my groceries online. I like to see things before I buy them. I order specialty items and hard to find things from Amazon but not general grocery shopping. They are pushing a 2 hour delivery service here now that they own Whole Foods. I am happy that I can get vitamins and other special things at Sprouts. I was ordering them from My Natural Market and Whole Foods bought them a couple of years ago. My Natural Market closed in October after Amazon purchased Whole Foods.

Valerie, it is very frustrating to watch family members continue to make poor choices for their health. My extended family is the same.

Lori, you are getting in some good workouts this week. Some of them are definitely too long to do before work.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

diane sue yes, splenda baking mix has regular sugar and splenda blended in some proportion. then recipes are written to fit it. these are from Hershey. she is trying to reduce sugar not eliminate it. she is on a tight budget. it seems to me she would be better off using a standard recipe with regular easily found ingredients, and then limit the size/ frequency of cookies. reducing sugar feels to me like she is looking for a way to eat a whole bunch of cookies, and of course sugar is not the whole problem with cookies.

grocery stores are going crazy with delivery, shopping for you, having you pick it up etc. She would need it delivered. I just can't imagine going thru an entire shopping list every week with someone who lives far away and products, brands, sizes are not familiar to me. and I would have to look at them one by one on my screen, describe them to her, and have her decide. I could do it a couple times in an emergency , but not routinely.

I also want to see before I buy, especially fruit and vegies, for dating alone.

did 15 on treadmill, and HR Abs, a very light day.

I ended up having a relaxing afternoon when I got done with errands. My daughter and grandchildren came over and we watched the My Little Pony Movie and they had popcorn. It was fun. I am getting ready to do some of that cooking before I go to bed tonight. I want to make the cake ahead and stick it in the freezer. I will decorate tomorrow evening. I also am scrubbing potatoes for baking Sunday and hopefully I don't need to go to the store for anything else. I did forget to buy milk when I went to Sprouts. A lot of people were out today since things are thawing. It rained a good part of the day, but was above freezing.

Carolyn, we have some Natural Foods Markets that opened around here just before Sprouts and I was pleased. But, after Whole Foods has become more popular and the Sprouts around the area, they seem to not have much turnover in shoppers. They are also kind of expensive. I was afraid to go the the one near the other Sprouts I went to because there was always only a handful of shoppers and I did not want to get outdated products. I feel bad for them. The two I know of are not real close or I would go once in awhile for items I see on their adds in my email. I bought some bison dogs there once and ended up cooking them and feeding them to the dogs. I used to love the ones I would get from Bison Guys at a small health food store in the other city I lived in. They were frozen when I purchased. I would eat them for lunch with homemade sauerkraut with jalapeno, carrots, and garlic. Whole Foods is expensive and I was never impressed with them. I wonder if the prices will come down at all now that they are affiliated with Amazon. I heard Homeland is trying to work a deal and buy Sprouts. I am hoping they do not as Homeland's healthy products are much more expensive than Sprouts for the same things.

Valerie, I would not want to shop for someone else. Especially if they have certain wants and needs from it. I would say there is not much of anything good for you in a cookie and if you are in poor health it can only harm. When I make cookies for family members I like to have some gluten free oats and free range eggs, real organic butter, but they are still not healthy. One or two is okay, but most people do not stop at just one or two when it comes to cookies. It is like eating a small helping of chips. Too bad she can't just forgo the cookies altogether. I made my husband some low carb cookies with Swerve sweetener (Xylitol) and the Lilys sugar free chocolate chips with coconut (no flour) for my husband. I ended up freezing them and trying to get someone here and there to try one. I ate a couple, as I couldn't eat all of that sweetener. They were kind of bitter sweet tasting. Not good. It was a total waste. No one really liked them. I think they were called almond joy cookies or something like that with some almond butter in them.

Good morning,

Not planning any workouts for a while.

Judy, that workout looks really interesting. Did you complete the 1000 reps?

Diane Sue, thanks for the info. I will see if I can access from my desktop.

Valerie, good that your brother is doing better. You are a good sister, to assist the way you do. Does she live close to your brother & Mom?

Carolyn, great workout, glad your back is better.

Hi to Lori!

Take care,

Deb, my sister, brother mother are in Wisconsin. they live fairly close together but in a constant war zone. nobody is easy to get along with. I moved to Washington back in the '70's. have not spent much time back there. sister and brother in particular don't get along.

I saw a small article saying that male cross country skiers when training need to take in 8000 calories a day to maintain weight! Wow. I know it's a good calorie burn. I was happy to hear the US womens' gold medal winter will get to carry the flag for closing ceremonies. she fought for that medal!

Sister is a rolling train wreck. can't get along with anyone. a big issue is her staying in a house she can't afford or manage, disinterest in keeping up on technology. no computer, no cell phone no skills, no interest. she needs to be at 'subsistence level" in technology. It is hard to do anything without the internet. she is showing no interest in learning. when she saves a little money, she spends it on other things. she is about to spend $700 getting her dog's teeth cleaned. She has not done any oral care for herself in many years! so what's wrong with that picture? I would pay to get my pet's teeth cleaned, but not if I can't afford my own care too.

If I thought for one second she would try to learn, I'd buy her a computer. I'm not taking trying to teach her over the phone. too horrible to contemplate. Brother is not a lot better but has his wife to handle things online. I am no technology genius but I can muddle thru most things.

there is no reason she would need / want gluten free, organic, free range etc. she's not in great shape, but she is dirt poor and can't afford to spend extra $$ for things she doesn't need. cookies, by definition, are fat, flour and sugar. adding in sugar substitutes does not make them health food. spending 3x as much, to have a lot of what she should not eat to begin with, is crazy. She lives in an inner city "food desert" and has to take multiple buses to get to a 'real" grocery store and haul things home in a cart, because she can't drive. bad, bad choices over and over again. I try to help her but I can't fix "broken" .

I have not heard from brother, so I am guessing they kept him in the hospital over the weekend.

No workout today as this is a rest day. I ran errands this morning while it’s still sunny and warm. Our weather has been unbelievable with record high temperatures this past week but rain is coming tonight.

I don’t like to bake with sugar substitutes. I decided long ago to use real ingredients and eat less of the baked items. I will try things like applesauce to reduce the fat in muffins or quick breads, but no fake food. My thyroid condition is managed better when I eat real food.

Diane Sue, I found the Bulletproof collagen bars at Sprouts and picked up two to try. I scanned them with my WW app and they are 7 points. I’m sure that my husband will want them if I don’t want to eat them.

Valerie, we can’t change people or help those who don’t want help. It sounds like you are doing the right thing with your family by helping out where you can.

Deb, take it easy and enjoy your weekend.

Lori and Judy, I hope you are doing well.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.