Lifting like girls

Ice here today, pretty much everything closed, but I do have a meeting at 10 that is still on...so far! Today was back and legs, chins x 12 x10 x8, heavy pullovers 3x8, and 1 arm cable pulls 3x8. For legs I went light and short, only doing 3 sets of gob squats and 3 sets of sumo squats, things just didn't feel right so I finished with 3 sets of single leg calf raises. Not pushing it yet and still haven't done any core work, but hopefully, coming soon! I feel like a "leg day slacker" but when I walk, the anterior part of my left foot drops when the heel hits the ground and makes a slapping noise...doesn't normally do that so something is not right. I doesn't hurt to bend over, seems a little stiff (like the rest of this dinosaur!), but the left leg just seems different. Off to test my "car skating" skills....at least not 9 inches of snow!!! Have a goodun friends!

I wish things would close down for snow and ice. Nothing closes for weather in Utah, EVER! Never missed a day of school because of the weather, Kindergarten thru senior year of high school. Living in Washington, everything closed as tight as a drum with just the thought of a snowflake.

Well, our turn for snow. Don't know how much we got but, Karen, the schools here said parents could keep their kids home if they desired. Not an official snow day but they aren't afraid to declare one, especially after last year's Winter Hell!!! My DH's company also totally supports telecommuting on bad weather days so my DH was home all day. That said, the lunatics were out on the road in full force. There were 80...EIGHTY!!!...snow-related collisions as of 10:30am. Sure am glad more snow is coming this weekend. ..not

At least we're all showing the workout world who's boss! Tom, watch out for that back. You're smart to not push it. Karen, any Kettlebell Babe workouts to report? I can't wait to do today's Live. Looks like one you'd enjoy, too, cuz ya know, LEGS! (Sorry, Tom)

So speaking of legs. Yesterday was Lower Body Circuit Live. Today was UB on Stability Ball Live. And Shovel Max for my DH.

I hate shovel max!! Poor DH. Sounds like we have another round of ice coming tonight, no shoveling, just slick. Really ready for spring!Today was another 30 set arm day, but did add a little twist. I started with a longer set at a lighter weight, then a set at a medium weight, then 2 sets at the heaviest weight, going to f or near f on the second, then a fail set at the medium weight to finish. I alternated 5 set series, tri's then bi's. Skullcrushers 5 sets/ ez bar curls 5 sets/ tri pushdowns 5 sets/ db curls 5 sets/kickbacks 5 sets/ and for the last bi 5 I did drop sets of decline curls (2 sets) and conc curls (3 sets).
The new program I want to try is 6 weeks and it is supposed to put 30# on your bench. It hits every upper body part M W F with emphasis on chest. Monday is heavy. W is light and F is medium weight. It seems to be a drop set program starting Mondays with singles at 90% of your 1rm, then dropping to 80% for triples 70% for multiples etc. In addition to chest you hit the other upper body parts on the same day in sets of 3-5 for each. Tues and Sat are leg days. Gotta see if it works on dinosaurs!!! It's Friday friends!!

Hey guys, snowing here!!! AGAIN. So an absolutely beautiful Winter, and now, in February, it releases the "hounds of hell!" Yup, I just may need to hit the slopes.
Hope you both are keeping warm and dry.
Wednesday was "Iron Core Kettlebell, Bootcamp." Sarah Lurie does a great job! Love this DVD. Three different workouts, that are great! Yesterday was "Death By Thruster!" Those Burpee Thrusters are killer.
Today will be a Paul Katami KB workout, "KB Kombos. Love Paul, he's a great instructor.
That's about it! KEEP WARM!

Karen, I hope you at least get to ski. Get some joy out of the cruel snowstorm. I need to try some Paul Katami. Everyone seems to love him.

Ahem, Tom, did you notice that your 6 week program has TWO legdays?!?! What has gotten into you? You must really want to up your bench poundage if you are willing to do that. Stay safe on that ice. I always call ice "snow gone bad." It's dangerous stuff on the roads

Today was ICE Rock Em Sock Em from the DVD.

Have a great Friday! Probably won't be back until Monday

Today was more or less a tryout of next weeks program and I was seeing if the weights I came up with were about right..and I think they are. I did do 3 sets of cable crunches to start with, then went to bench and did about 7 short sets to duplicate some of next weeks w/o. I did a long set of chin ups and 2 sets of heavy shoulder press (also a try out), then I called it a day.
Lisa, the program allows for 2 leg days....but....I haven't made it yet, but AM going to try!
Have a great weekend Ladies!

Today was Kettlebell Kombos. I had forgotten how much I love this workout. Paul always does a great job. Short, to the point, and I sweat like crazy. If you are looking for something different, with a KB, highly recommend. Took the day off, when I had this scheduled, so I did it today. Glad I did!

Day 1 of 6 week bench program and it was different Did a few short warm up sets, then it calls for 5 singles at 90% of your 1rm. I have been working hard at getting deeper on bench and pushing to touch my chest and most all reps today were touch and go...the stretch was a stretch, but I feel like I need to try to get down there. I watch people arch (wish I could) and when they bench their elbows don't get any lower than a floor press? When I touch, my elbows are way below the bench. if I were to do a floor press, the bar is far above chest level? Anyway, trying to do it right and increase my shoulder mobility to allow touching the chest and it is coming along. After the 5 singles come 4 sets of triples at 80%, then 4 sets of 7 at 70%. For accessory work I did 4 sets of chin ups, side laterals/ front raise combo, skullcrushers and e z bar curls. Total was 30 sets and it took a little over an hour. I have been fasting since I have blood work today but CANT WAIT to get to my protein shake and FOOD!!!!
Have a merry Monday fellow iron workers!

Leg day and I made it! 4x15 gob squats, 4x12 sumo squats, 4x8 rev lunges and for calves, 4 sets of heavy db calf raises and 4 sets of single calf raises..20 sets in all. Nothing spectacular but butt was worked! Speaking of work, I'm off to separate the problem from the patient! Have a great Tuesday friends!

Leg day domination by Tom! High fives. Gotta say that I cringe when I think of the dentist "separating" the problem from the patient. Yeowch!

Karen, what's up? How's the IF going?

Today was an older Upper Body Cathe Live. Can't remember the name.

Have a great day!

There was leg day domination yesterday BUT it was the w/o that dominated!! I am so sore, I haven't been doing reverse lunges and in my infinite wisdom I did 4 sets yesterday..WTH! I was walking down the hall to get a patient and I heard a thud. I stopped, turned around,.....and there was my arse!!! It fell off! (this is figurative of course), Wow, I am a cripple!
Today was light day, and you do 4 sets 5-7 of 60-65% of your 1rm on bench. I did 4x7 and it was tougher than I thought. Next was accessories, 3x8,and I did 3 sets of db pullovers, 3 sets of tri pushdowns, 3 sets of db shoulder press and 3 sets of decline curls. I think you are supposed to go lighter on these as well, but I didn't and had to work hard on these because I went too heavy...gotta research this and see what's called for. Today is my Friday...I like having Monday and Friday right next to each other!! Make your Wed special friends!

Tom, turn around and pick up your butt, LOL!

Today was XTrain Legs. I like workouts like this because they feel like "check-up" workouts, something you might do in physical therapy or whatnot to help the forgotten parts of your body that support the big moves like squats and deadlifts. Plus it just makes your booty burn. :)

Have a great "Friday," Tom. Karen and I will experience a regular Wednesday with the rest of the sad sad world who were wishing today was Friday.

Hey guys. Sorry I’ve been MIA. Busy week. This week has been Leg Overhaul, Minute By Minute and Arm Annhilator. Tomorrow is a stretch day, but I’m going to do a Cathe Live. That’s about it for workouts. Tom, nice job with the lunges. Like you, I hate it when my arse falls off. Oh Lisa, XTrain Legs is a good one. Did you need to pick up your arse? And yes, Lisa and I, can only wish it was Friday. I’m thinking I may mix in some Cathe with my RIPT90. I need a little more than RIPT90 is giving me. Kettlebell workouts are great, but I need something more. That’s about it for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My program calls for a rest day on Thursday...thutt says YAY!!...frontal lobe overrides... BOO! I decided to do some abs only since they have been "slacked on" lately. I did 3x20 cable crunches and alternate knee to chest planks x60x60x120. Philosophy 101, "any day you do something is better than any day you don't"! Still sore from those freakin reverse lunges, but I'm going to do it again Sat and keep doing it until it stops killing me. Tomorrow is a medium intensity bench day and different accessories...kinda like this program, everything gets hit multiple times (even legs) and that works for me! Make today a great day!

Today was medium day on 6 weeks to a better bench. I guessed to start what my 1rm was when I started this program because I haven't been able to go to touching chest, but after hard work and effort, I am now touching on all my reps (and shoulders are still there!). I used #210 (I suck at bench, but I'm a dinosaur so there) as a 1 rm, so today was 3 x 3 warmup at 115, 135, 155, then 7 sets of 3-5 reps at 80% or 170. It certainly makes a difference when you can go all the way down...harder with a longer ROM! For the accessories I did 4x7 1 arm cable pulls, seated BB shoulder press x7x5x5x4 (I used 115 for these and felt good about it! This was a weight I got stuck on for 0 reps awhile back...that was a bad day though!), and finished with db curls (45's) x7x7x7x8x7 (you may notice a 5th set...that's because I forgot to write one set down and since I wasn't 100% sure...I did another one lol. This program is interesting because it throttles you a little. I usually want to go "ba!!$ to the walls", but it says to NOT, so I am following their advice. I'm not really doing percentages on the accessories, but they do change the rep patterns some so maybe that is factored in.
Finally Friday friends, make it all it can be!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.