Hardcore Fitness Maniacs check-in for January 2018

Cold her too, high of 4 in the morning and then a balmy 13 for the high, oh well it is winter

Today was shred cardio and push day, yesterday I did double kickbox premix

Roselyn, nice workouts. I don't mind the cold so much as long as I don't have to go outside :)

Today I did Cardio Coach 3 and had a great workout. My head has really been hurting lately, not sure what it is. Maybe weather related? My head feels like it is packed with snot although nothing comes out. It's really frustrating. Hope it goes away soon.

Workout was 49 minutes, ran 2.93 miles (best so far), burned 341 calories (TM said 385) and went 5836 steps. Avg HR was 143 and Max was 207.

I really don't get why my FB it clocking my HR so high. Ever since I got the Ionic these are the readings I've been getting. I thought after about two weeks it would drop down like everything else I ever wore did but it hasn't. Weird.

Diane Sue - I never thought that you couldn't use the remote once your boxing gloves are on, that's funny. I'd like to get a stationary bag like they used in the Tabata Boxing workout, not a hanging one. I actually have a hanging bag - actually had a hanging bag - I donated it to the Boys & Girls Club a few years back because I never used it. Nice workout!! I hate this cold, whether I'm in or out, I hate it.

Jolie - Nice workout. I need to check out those Les Mills workouts but don't you have to be certified to buy them? I thought they were really hard to get. Love kickboxing, that is my favorite type of cardio workout besides my treadmill.

Roselyn - Nice going with your workout! Glad you are feeling good now.

Debbie, maybe it is sinus? I have never had tha high of readings with my Blaze. Generally it is exceptionally low. I have got ip to the 180s though. Try contactingb Fit Bit. My Polar used to do that. The Bluetooth Polar was the worst. I knew it wasnt accurate though because I would get that doing yoga!! I got tired of working with them They even sent me a new strap and itvtook them weeks to respond. They kept insisting itvwas probably interference.
I think sometimes they briefly track high though and somwe get a high number , but the actual average is about normal. Except for weights which trackers do not do well with since they go more by movement and heartrate. It is hard to log when you get crazy numbers like that though.
Check Total Fitness and the Beachbody link. I am sure you can probably find Les Mills Combat there. It is fun and the music is lots of fun. I am sure you woul love it. I got mine when they first came out. Beachbody seems to have turned a lot of stuff to streaming only though. Les Mills has a Streaming site of their own I would like to try sometime.

6 degrees right now. My dog ran out and came back whining at the door.

Last edited:
Today is my rest day. I am sore from my kickboxing yesterday!!! My hamstrings and shoulders are really "talking to me" today, as Cathe would say.

Debbie,
Go on Craigslist to see if anyone is selling Les Mills Combat. I have bought workout dvds so cheap that way over the years. I love Les Mills because it is straight forward kickboxing, easy to follow and great calorie burns. I wish there was a website that sold used workout gear, dvds ect. That would be awesome! Nice Cardio Coach workout today. Wow, your max heart rate was 207? I have never gotten over 185 before.

Diane Sue and Roselyn,
I will check back later to see what you did for workouts today.

Have a nice day.

The Les Mills workout I am looking for is PUMP. Diane Sue, I know you have this workout. I have looked and looked online but cant get a copy of it anywhere!

Today I did Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio 29 minutes, 198 calories, average heart rate 131, max 161, 2,680 steps. I then did Fit Split Bonus abs, 13 minutes, 65 calories, heart rate 111 average, 141 max. I decided to get in more cardio so did Kelly's Body Design cardio boot camp segment, 12 minutes, heart rate average 131, max 169, 78 calories, 1,238 steps. I finished off with Sarah Beth Yoga on You Tube scoliosis workout, 20 minutes, 44 calories. It helped my back which was bothering me enough when I woke this morning that it was a trial trying to stand up. I don't know what made it hurt so much. I like Sarah Beth's yoga. No rush and she gives good form pointers, the poses today were held a bit longer which was nice. She helped me keep my alignment. Total time today was 74 minutes and calories burned 385.
I just came back from my frosty trip to the store. I have a bottle of water sitting in my car that is frozen solid.

Jolie, I have had other people that were looking for Les Mills Pump and could not find them. I don't know if it would help to call Beach Body and ask. Then again since it is unavailable they may try charging too much. I love those workouts. I have checked around myself and have not seen them anywhere. I wonder if anyone would be selling them on Video Fitness. I think they have a place to sell. I have only been there a very few times. It seems there is too much complaining and downgrading instructors for me to want to spend much time there. Maybe you could find them in a library system? I haven't seen them in ours though. Of course that would mean you wouldn't get to keep them.

I did Kelly's Body Shop Workout #2 and had a great workout. This was a lot of fun, just like Workout 1. I am really enjoying this change. I usually hate workouts like this, but these are so fun!!!

10 reps each exercise unless marked differently:

Lat Pull-Downs – 12's
Plies - 12's
Lat Pull-Downs – 12's
Plies - 12's
Combo Lat Pull-Downs/Plies - 12's
Cross Chop Bicep Curls – 2X’s through - 12's
Single Curtsies – 2X’s through - 12's
Combo Curtsy/Chop Curls - 12's
Lunge Backs - 20 reps, no weight
Lateral Raise – 3X’s through - 5# (these were tough)
Overhead Triceps Ext to Knees – 2X’s through - 5's
Overhead Triceps Ext Pulses - 5's
Step-Over Barrel - 20 reps
Staggered Push-ups – 3 sets/10 reps
Butt Blaster - 8's - 3 sets/10 reps and then some pulses

Workout was 33 minutes, burned 188 calories. Avg. HR was 117 and Max was 159.

I also walked on my treadmill for 1.25 miles. I love these 30 minute workouts, they give me time to get some steps in before work.

Workout was 25 minutes, went 3051 steps and burned 163 calories. Avg HR was 117 and Max was 129.

Diane Sue - I don't want to call FB, they won't do anything about it. My other HRM's used to clock me that high and I knew that wasn't right. My Blaze never had me that high before so not sure why the Ionic is doing that. I may send them a email and see what they say. I will check out Video Fitness and see if I can find any of those workouts, I'd like to try them. Nice workout yesterday!! :)

Jolie - No, my HR is never that high, not sure what is going on? I'm not big on Craigslist, but I'll give it a shot. Thanks!!

Roselyn - Nice workout on Monday!!

I AM SO SICK OF THESE HOT FLASHES!! THEY JUST WON'T STOP. OMG, I've tried everything. So sick of it!!!

Ok, I'm done now...

Last edited:
Debbie, nice work today. I always find it amazing how hard 5 pounds can become :) The time doing Body Shop always seems to go fast for me.

My workout is done, Fit Split Mixed Impact/Pull Day, 67 minutes (with extra for writing and equipment changes) , heart rate average 117, max 164, 392 calories, 3045 steps. I used the weight increment that came up on calories burned and is 5.3 Met according to the Workout manager. The reason I did this is when I did Mixed impact by itself I had 198 calories, when I did Pull by itself I had 203 calories and this would be 401 calories. Fit Bit had me at 264 calories total. It just does not get Weight work correct. Map My Fitness had me at 419 and the Workout manager has this workout at 8 met at 530 calories. (I wish) Anyway, I went with the in between burn because I felt it the most accurate. I get a bit obsessive about the discrepancies.
Fit Split Split Pull weights
one arm rows 30# x 12, 10,10 reps
pull overs on stability ball 15# dbs x 8,6,6 reps done slow
overhand row with 15# dumbbells and med loop x 10,10,10 reps
Deadlifts 50# barbell x 10, 10 reps
upright row 35# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with rear delt flys 12# dbs x 10,8,8 reps
lateral raise 8# dbs 10,8,8 reps superset with external rotation 5# dbs x 10,6,6 reps
giant set-
barbell curls 35# 10,8,6 reps
w curls 15# dumbbells 10,8,6 reps
sweeper curls 15# dbs 10,8,6 reps
Hamstring roll ins with stability ball approximately 86 reps
regular 16,16, toes turned out 16, 4 count lift 10?, roll in pulse 7 4 times

Debbie, I feel for you with the hot flashes. I used to lose so much sleep with those and night sweats.
I hate calling people to try to get help because most of the time it is a waste of time. Most places have incompetent people that don't seem to know any more than I do about the problem. It took me so long and ended up being my suggestion that finally got my cell phone fixed. I find it easier to an online chat than the phone. I can do something else while waiting for the next comment to pop up. I usually start with e-mailing. Some places make it near impossible to get hold of an actual person on the phone.

Last edited:
Debbie, I suffered from hot flashes this past fall and got two supplements that completely took them away quickly. They are both from Natures Way, get them on Amazon. One is Change o Life (a comprehensive Formula) and Black Cohosh (540mg). The Change O Live (7 herbs) has Dong Quai and that works really well. I started with two of each per day for a few months and now I only take one of each and have NO HOT FLASHES!

Today I did Les Mills Combat 30 again with 1# gloves. I finished with Kelly's Shape UP Shoulders, Chest and Triceps only. I used 8# DB's for the Shoulder Press and 10# DB's for the Chest Flies and Lying Triceps Ext. My shoulders and arms are spent! I love it! Total workout was 44 minutes and I burned 437 calories. My Average heart rate was 130 and my max was 179!

Stressed out over my kids and school! Any suggestions to calm me down? I have a million things going through my mind while I sleep and wake up even more stressed! There is a supplement that comes in a dropper style formula that is called Rescue Remedy. I think I will go to Sprouts and pick some up. It has helped me in the past.
Debbie, great Kelly workout today. I love the 30 minute workouts as well. I am liking the variety I am doing lately, I was so burned out from lifting.

Diane Sue,
good job on the Fit Split workout today. I have taken a break from Cathe and I am enjoying it.

Have a wonderful day!

Jolie, you might try some reishi mushroom. It is supposed to be relaxing. It makes me too sleepy though. everything affects me strongly so I hae learned use lower doses. I have bought it in a mushroom coffee mix. There is some in my Paradise Energy Greens. I take those later most days because I do feel groggy. That stuff affects everyone differently because it does more than relax me. I think sometimes the best thing is just try to realize that things generally work out and worrying excessively does nothing to help the situation. You just do what you can. I really like Shape up for the weight work :) What is in rescue remedy?

Debbie, I hope that works well for you. I used to swear by keeping up with Black Cohosh.

Yesterday i did fit split low impact/metabolic conditioning and today was a cathe live Pump Party a total body workout

I will have to remember those supplements I think I am done with my periods (I hope it has been about a year) and I did not have bad hot flashes. I am sure that they still cannot happen thought. i know my mom but I remember my grandma saying she breezed right through so I hope I can do that

Have a great day everyone

Today I did the HiiT Rep Run workout I got from Runner's World magazine. Had an excellent workout. This one is tough but I really like it. I get some good mileage with it.

Workout was 54 minutes, ran 3.94 miles, burned 403 calories (TM said 533) and went 7909 steps. Avg. HR was 129 and Max was 186.

Jolie - I hope that stuff works, I can't take much more of this! I don't know what to suggest for your anxiety. I used to take 5HTP when I had anxiety issues. It works great but takes about 30 days to get into your system. I get the BodyTech brand from the Vitamin Shoppe.

Diane Sue - I've been living on Black Cohosh, it doesn't work for me anymore. It used too so not sure what has happened. I've tried different brands and everything. Very frustrating.

Roselyn - I think once your are in menopause you don't get hot flashes anymore, not sure on that though. Lucky you!!!

Today is a rest day for me. I am so sore all over, loving it by the way, but don't want to push it. My hamstrings are sore from all the kicks yesterday and my shoulders are as well from the Shape Up workout. I pulled a muscle in my lower calf yesterday afternoon, not sure how but it is tight today. Walking the dog it hurt quit a bit.

My son got a call the other night from a friend that plays football at Fresno. Their friend that is the quarterback for Washington State, killed himself with a hunting rifle. It has been all over the news. His youngest brother was our Freshman QB. My son was devastated. What would make someone who is so talented do that to ones self? The pressures that kids have on them today are insane. I really worry about my youngest son, flunking classes due to the ADHD. I am helping him catch up by doing some online classes for him, the ones that he has already taken but got a D grade in, to relieve a little of the stress for him. As a mom I am so worried about him. This is where the stress comes from! Baby steps, and love and support is what I am trying with him. I also got him into a program at school that helps with ADHD learning disabilities and teaching them how to do things differently, studying ect. I hope it works, we are only two weeks into the 2nd semester.

Debbie, I think you will love the new supplements. I suffered so bad I couldn't sleep or go anywhere without dripping. I can say it took about a month but I am hot flash free! Nice workout today on the TM. It is great to get so many steps in this early in the day. Yeah!!!

Diane Sue, thanks for the suggestion on the stress. You would think that working out would do the trick but it doesn't. I will check back to see what you did for your workout today.

Roselyn, I am so jealous that you had no symptoms!!! You are very lucky. Nice workout!

Have a great day.

Today I did Boxing Boot Camp scrambled #1 double it, 52 minutes, 121 average, 155 max heart rate, 342 calories, 4,701 steps. I then did another youtube Sarah Beth Yoga, 30 minute, morning yoga, 29 minutes, 48 calories. Total time was 83 minutes, calories burned 390.

Debbie, nice workout today :) I don't remember the hot flashes going away once I was into menopause.

Jolie, I am trying to go back to fitting in more yoga and stretching to keep from having those tight places. It is good that your son is getting that help and that you are working with him at home. I know they have places that help them with the learning disabilities of ADHD and learning to focus. That is so sad that the boy took his life. :(

Today I did Kelly's Kettlebell Kickboxing from Build & Burn and had fun with it. I used my new 15# KB's and although it was a bit awkward at first, by the end I got it. The only thing that was weird was when I did the overhead press, the KB kept hitting my FB. I was afraid it was going to scratch it. I'll have to do it a different way next time if I can figure out how.

Workout was 28 minutes, burned 200 calories, did 1782 steps. Avg HR was 132 and Max was 184.

Then I walked on my treadmill for a few. Got some good steps in this morning. Walk was 25 minutes, went 1.26 miles, did 3074 steps and burned 144 calories. Avg. Hr was 103 and Max was 134.

Jolie - So sorry to hear that. We are having a suicide outbreak here among kids as well. I am not sure what is causing it but labeling our kids isn't helping. It makes me so mad when these psychs and teachers label kids - so many terms, so much bullying because of it. It's not right. When I was kid and a child was hyper, that was what they were - hyper. It was normal kid behavior. Now it isn't and we have to give them drugs to make them "settle down". I could go on forever. I don't agree with any of it and it's changing our kids. My heart hurts every time I hear about a suicide. One of our schools have had 6 of them this year. 6. Where does it end?

Diane Sue - Do you still have hot flashes? Nice job on your workouts!!

Have great workouts today everyone and have a great weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.