Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/10

Deb we were very WARM going uphill. wind block tights, quarter zip hoodie (posted about a while ago) light shirt over, a wind shell jacket. Bike gloves, light boots. DHwears the same. He took off the jacket in five minutes. I unzipped the jacket going uphill. we were hot.! Rolling back down I zipped up. It’s my go-to outfit for cool weather cycling. Very adjustable with layers and zips. I carry a down puffy as backup, also warm hat, gloves, emergency gear. You want warm but not sweaty or bulky. Deb, hope you dodge the flu bullet.
Diane Sue not enough snow for skiing yet on this road. We would have to walk carrying skis for 2 miles. Possible but not fun. Road is gated so 4 wheelers can’t drive in and tear it all up. too much snow for cycling. Patchy snow is ok to ride thru but solid snow isnt There are special balloon tire bikes for snow but $$$$ and they need firm groomed conditions like XC skiing at a resort. Will post a link to pics later. They are hilarious looking.
https://www.rei.com/product/893051/diamondback-el-oso-de-acero-fat-bike-2016 they aren't as pricey as I thought but that is a lot of tire to push forward. probably can ride on sandy beach and snow.

there are two types of polar straps. One kind you can change battery yourself, but the others had to be sent back to polar . I agree u-tube. Polar probably has info on their web site too.

We got slow leak flat yesterday. went flat during the evening. will take it off and get it fixed today. I just got email notification from Subaru. How the heck does that work?? Electronics are amazing

Last edited:
Today I just did Cathe's Party Rockin Step, 53 minutes, 380 calories, heart rate average, 146, max 175, 4,550 steps. I have lots of house work to do today. It seems I keep getting caught up in doing something else and nothing much is getting done. Also we are building this room and I keep having to clean up sawdust and wallboard fragments.

Valerie, it does look like a lot of tire. I still have a Polar watch that works if I wanted to send it in to get the battery changed. It was one of my favorite ones , but it costs so much to send it in and get it done. I did it twice. By the time I am done I might has well have purchased another watch with the strap.

Lori, I am always exhausted after travel. I don't know why it does that to me. I have always liked my Kettlebells for another option. Kelly does have a dumbbell option in her workouts that use kettlebells.

Deb, Kelly did a nice little write up about training safe as we get older and how much impact to do. I know she has been promoting doing shorter workouts for a lot of years. I only have two older ones that are not the 30 minutes to Fitness variety of workouts. I like the length of the Build and Burn ones. Great for add on or just getting in a decent workout in a short amount of time.

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I did Build & Burn Lower Body Tabata then Trim & Tone Weights Only premix and finished with WS3 Stretch. Today I did Build & Burn Cardio Abs, then Kettlebell/Kickbox Fusion and Jessica Smith Floor Barre. After today, Chris is off work until Jan. 2. It will be good for him to have a break and relax over the holidays.

Deb-I'm sorry John has the stomach flu :( I hope you don't get it too. We did get more snow, I think we have about 10 inches on the ground now and it's been snowing a little today. It's not as cold here, but it is windy.

Lori-Thank you, you always put together nice workouts too. Now that I've gone through all of the Build & Burn workouts I am thinking of doing WS3 next week also. I haven't decided if I will combine them with KCM workouts, or just do a week of WS3.

Valerie-I agree with Deb, that sounds like a really cold bike ride! Great job!

Diane Sue-Great job with the KCM workouts! Nice that you went up to 10 lbs for Trim & Tone. I saw that write up that Kelly did and thought it was good too.

Carolyn-Thanks! I am enjoying mixing things up a little and combining shorter workouts. At first I thought that the Build & Burn workouts were too short, but they are the perfect length to combine with other workouts, or to do 2 in a row.

Judy

Today I did WS3 Lower Body using 12 and 15 pound weights. I needed a 20# for squats but didn’t want to pause to out and get it. After that I did Elements Yoga with Alanna Zabel. I did the flexibility yoga flow for 23 minutes.

After my workout I went out to do some shopping but that was a big mistake. It was crazy in the stores that I went to—so many people and I couldn’t find anything that I wanted. And that was mid morning!

Big waves to everyone and have a wonderful day.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Lekfit Sculpt posted this week. Nice workout. 48 mins. / 235 cal. I love Lekfit but do not think I will continue. The workouts all are different but similar if this makes sense. I have until January 10th to decide.

Deb...oh no!! Hope John is feeling better and you do not get sick!! Fingers crossed. Hoping the dentist is just a routine visit.

Valerie...technology is crazy. I will be on Amazon looking at things then it shows on my facebook some of the tHings I was looking at. Omg!!! Big brother is watching!

Diane Sue...is there a link to the Kelly article about training safe? I would love to read it. Good to know she has a weight option instead of using a kettlebell. :).

Judy...I was enjoying the WS3 rotation and looking forward to getting back to it next week. I love the workouts but feel I need to combine them with other workouts. I feel most days I need more than a 30 minute workout. Nice Chis is off all that time. Bob and I are both off the week before Xmas and New Years and we are looking forward to it.

Carolyn...I have not done the WS3 Lower Body yet. Good to know about heavier weights. I’ll keep them handy. I went to Kohls yesterday about 2pm and it wasn’t too bad. My husband is going out tomorrow. I told him he is nuts!!

Hve a great night all!!!!!

Lori, this is from Kelly's facebook page
“Getting Real” with Coffeyfit…
Every now and again I talk to you all about practical fitness by calling out the hype in my industry. It just won’t stop and all of you are subject to the madness. Workouts that make you breathless at least once during the workout is what you should look for. If you are struggling for more than a third of the workout its probably because you are doing moves meant for a 20 year old, so why are you doing it? I’m 54 and I’ve been a competitive athlete and working out with weights since I was 13. Can I still workout like a beast? Yes, but it doesn’t feel good most days and the results are NOT the same as they were when I was younger…fitness professional or not, I refuse to mislead you and say otherwise. If you are over 30, please look for workouts that have the following traits: 1. no more than 8-12 consecutive jumps (and these 8-12 jumps should be blended into the workout with other non-impactful moves so as to avoid overuse injuries etc.) 2. do the 80/20 rule: 80 % of your workouts each week should be of moderate intensity and the other 20% should be more intense 3. you should feel energized after the workout, not wiped out 4. Pick workouts that you don’t dread to start (to dread a workout due to its intensity is never a good sign), choose workouts that don’t require a lot of equipment and 5. always know you’re true age and whats good for your body today, not yesterday. I am so tired of workouts that aren’t made for the every day person….and lets face it, we are ALL every day people! Look for workouts by professionals that cater to men and women our age that offer workouts that are practical, safe and friendly …The options are endless: eg ;
Amy Bento Ross, Phil Ross, Patrick Goudeau, Mindy Milrea, Petra Kolber, Sharon Twombly, and Michelle Dozios just to name a few. Knowing that your body is no longer 20 years old is the greatest fitness gift you can give yourself this year. I expect all of you to be in this fitness lifestyle with me for the long haul… TRAIN SMART…CARPE DIEM!

Lori, there is a lot of posts after her comments. I get tired of so many things that I look at while shopping on the internet show up every where. Even on my yahoo account, and throughout facebook. I have even had places where I shop or have appointments send me texts and messenger me. I did not ask for it, so it irritates me that once they get my information they use it like that.
I understand on Lekfit. I have done workouts from so many instructors that made me feel like it was pretty much repetitive. Things like Turbo Fire and Insanity, to name a couple. I got rid of all of Insanity except the bonus set that has an upper body weight workout in it.

Didn't work too hard today. did the kickbox warmup from Ice (forget what the name is) then did MM triceps, 50 knee pushups, and HR abs. took about 45 minutes. Nice that the warm up and 4x cycle is a premix. I was thinking I would do a MM bicep one but maybe there isn't one. ran out of time anyway. I hit Costco today and should be able to steer clear of stores for the next week, except maybe some lettuce or gallon of milk.

it is so disconcerting...if you look for a product for 2 seconds, even if it was an accidental click on a page that changed too fast, you are over run with advertising for the product. annoying! not really a good thing.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did KCM Trim & Tone. I wish this was longer. I don't think there is a longer premix. I am not one to string workouts together. After doing all the workouts in this series, I think the one that I like the best is Kettlebell Kickbox Fusion. I just wish they were all longer. I am really looking forward to the new Cathe DVD's.

Valerie, those bike tires are pretty large. Not sure how Subaru knew about your flat tire....kind of scary when you think of it. I believe there is a 4 set MM bicep premix.

Diane Sue, I didn;t see the write up that Kelly did...thanks for posting it! ... All the Polar watches I had I have changed the battery myself. When I got the first one, I had it done by a watch store guy....After that, I figured it was easier to do myself. Never did send any back. It's the battery in the hard strap that I am afraid to do. I saw a YouTube video on how to do it, but it looked like it may wreck it for good. I guess if it did get destroyed, it wouldn;t matter since it would not have been working anyway. Also there are some on Ebay, but I am not sure I would trust that they worked.

Judy, good workouts. :) what are you and Chris planning for his time off? any travelling?

Carolyn, If the stores were bad during the week in mid-morning, I dread going anywhere near a store today. :)

Lori, what are Lekfit workouts? bounce? John is better, and so far so good on me not getting it. Yes, dental was just a cleaning. I only have a 10 and a 15 pound kettlebell...so next time I do the kettlebell workout I will use a 12 pound DB...until I can workout up to the 15 KB. That is what I really like about Kelly's workouts, she usually has a modifier, and things like a person is always using a DB instead of a KB. I wish Cathe would do more of that kind of thing.

No class today, off for the holidays.

Take care,

Deb tire notification is part of the star link system . It showed on the dash display but tire still looked fine. slowly went flat during the evening. DH took it off got it fixed but still weird to feel Subaru would know and notify us via email,.it would have be useful if we hadnot known already. This was a slow leak not a blowout. rock in the tread .
I thought I had all the MM,s printed. They were color coded to match the main workout. Thought there must be a bicep one. Maybe I misfiled it.

Last edited:
Valerie, there is a biceps with warm up and cool down on the basic mix of Ice Bootcamp or under timesaver there is the 4 sets if I remember right. When we got my Chevy Spark, my husband had them disable the On Star feature. He didn't like the idea of big brother following us around. It might have it's pluses, but there are other methods of getting help. Our insurance has roadside assistance.

Deb, I don't think the straps are that much money. I don't know that you can buy a hard strap though.

Today's workout was Les Mills Combat 30 live, 36 minutes, heart rate average 129, max 157, 258 calories, 3,636 steps. I then did Fit Tower Legs, Glutes, & Core mix legs and glutes only, 33 minutes, 183 steps, 109 calories. Total time was 69 minutes, 367 calories.

diane sue thanks. I looked, somehow didn't print the biceps one. will do it shortly. thanks for narrowing the search. ETA found it! Thanks.
I think we get the starlink connection free for a year as part of the purchase price but won't renew when it runs out. who knows what other data gets transmitted.
I never was interested in kettle balls. always look awkward to me. is there some particular reason you use them? just for variety?
I enjoyed the kick box warm up yesterday. I've done it but not in a long time. thought we'd ride today but too wet. maybe some yard projects if rain lessens.
I did a Costco run yesterday mid afternoon and it was normal and not overly busy. there seems to be a window of about 2 - 3:30 that is way less busy and a good time to zip in and out. I didn't want to go over the weekend.

yes the bike tires are HUGE. they don't fit on a normal mt bike so you need a dedicated bike. I think they look like something you might enjoy as a rental on vacation but would not get to use often. we tried riding reg mt bikes on firm beach sand once. it o_Odidn't work.

Last edited:
No workout today. This is a rest day for me. I had my investment club this morning with our holiday brunch. It was scheduled for last week but we had to change it due to snow and ice. As a result we only had half the members, but it was still a productive meeting.

Diane Sue, I read Kelly’s Facebook get real post also. It’s so true that we must be more sensible about our workouts. I know that I can’t do Cathe workouts the way that she does, but I have no problem modifying to lower impact. She is so motivating and I don’t get bored. I think one of the reasons that we all like Cathe Live workouts is that there are average people like us doing the workouts at their own levels.

Hello to everyone. I hope you’re having a nice weekend.

Valerie, you learn after trying different kettle bells to hunt for ones that are comfortable to use. A smooth handle is better than a rough one (you can get major callouses doing a full kettle bell workout. I like a wider horn on the bell when they are larger and I am using both hands to grip the bell. Smaller bells are better for to me for clean an press and snatches. For me too thick of a handle (horn) makes it harder for me to use because of my arthritis. I find it uncomfortable to hold onto. I guess it is just a bit different feel. It is easier to do swings and get the hip action into it with a kettle bell than with a dumbbell. They are easy to hold in pairs for suitcase deadlifts. Kettlebells are pretty expensive compared to dumbbells. I guess what I am saying, is if a person wants to really do a lot of kettle bell work, it takes some work to find the right fit for kettle bells. It is much different than picking out a dumbbell.
We didn't even use the trial period of the On Star. I can see not being able to get much use out of the bike with those tires being a drawback to purchasing one.

I will let kettle ball issue slide... don't need them, just curious. we have a lot of dumbbells. I did Rock em Sock em, the whole thing today, and icy core. I am not doing jumps at this point, and probably won't, but I kept moving and got most of the drills. I didn't have a good enough bra on to do jacks. didn't realize there were so many. will armor up next time. I might have done it once long ago. it went well for a first time. usually I have problems following, but I did reasonably well for basically a first time.

Last edited:
Valerie, I know kettle bells are not something everyone would be interested in. It is just a nice change for me from the same old workouts. I did mean to mention another draw back, at least for me, is things like snatches where the kettle bell flops back on the hand has bruised my wrists more than once. It also hits my Fitbit if I am not careful. I probably am not controlling it well and swinging up to hard and fast when doing the move. I always felt that Rock'm Sock'm was a lot more upper body movement than lower. At least compared to Cathe's other kickboxing workouts. But then, again the title does not have kicking in it :) I guess the jacks are for the cardio part of it. The blast is a lot more cardio to me.

Carolyn, I have no problem modifying things or using the rebounder for some of it where I can. Cathe, is motivating. I often wonder where she gets all of that energy :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.