Dismissing chest work due to breast implants.

che0013

Hello All (and Cathe )....

I posted quite a while ago asking if anyone who has had breast implants (under the muscle), is still able to do isolated chest movements. Basically...my surgeon has advised me to never return to isolated chest movements as it might risk displacement...I have accepted this.

But I feel terribly discouraged from basically all bootcamp and full body workouts because there are ALWAYS pushups or flies incorporated and I hate having to sit out every 10 mins. I dont feel like Im doing it properly if I cant do it all I dont know if there are maybe some replacement movements I could do?

But I have been looking at Muscle Max....and am thinking Ill give it a go and just skip the chest section....but just wondering how much of a difference it would make to my calorie burn if I did this. I am tracking my eating/expenditure calories....would skipping chest movements impact a lot on calories burned?

I posted quite a while ago asking if anyone who has had breast implants (under the muscle), is still able to do isolated chest movements. Basically...my surgeon has advised me to never return to isolated chest movements as it might risk displacement...I have accepted this.

But I feel terribly discouraged from basically all bootcamp and full body workouts because there are ALWAYS pushups or flies incorporated and I hate having to sit out every 10 mins. I dont feel like Im doing it properly if I cant do it all I dont know if there are maybe some replacement movements I could do?

But I have been looking at Muscle Max....and am thinking Ill give it a go and just skip the chest section....but just wondering how much of a difference it would make to my calorie burn if I did this. I am tracking my eating/expenditure calories....would skipping chest movements impact a lot on calories burned?

I don't have implants. I was going to offer some advice based on women that I know who have implants and have not altered their workouts (post recovery) but everyone is different and I have no firsthand knowledge on the topic. The information on the page I've linked below may be helpful to you. It's has questions from women that have had breast implant surgery and answers from plastic surgeons. Maybe someone else will respond with first hand advice. Until then, I hope you find something on the page I've linked that will help guide you.

What is the Truth About Chest Workouts After Breast Augmentation Under Muscle?
https://www.realself.com/question/the-truth-chest-workouts-after-breast-augmentation-muscle

If you are primarily concerned about burning calories you can add in more compound leg and back exercises. Cathe's "Muscle Endurance" workout (from the Intensity Series) has plenty of compound exercises to crush calories. No one talks about that workout much these days but it's a goody. I don't remember which ones but some of her workouts burned 800 to over 1000 calories. If you don't use it already, I highly recommend the Workout Manager. It gives caloric burn information about the workouts. You pick the movement or the workout and it gives information on the calorie burn. Obviously, it's not completely accurate but it gives a good estimate and may help you to make choices on what to sub for the chest work you may not wish to do.

Good luck.

I know few people ( in real life --- are not members of this forum) who still workout their chest. Each person is different and the ability to still perform
chest training depend on various factors. Reaching out for elite athletes opinion could help you.

With regards to calories expenditure, you are not loosing much skipping chest work. Your largest muscles groups are back
and legs. Those produce the most significant chunk of your overall calories expenditures. At least as far as weight training
is concerned:):) That said you still need to work your chest if you are aiming for a good symetry:) and/or overall
muscle building without imbalances.HTH

Once you've done your research, if you choose to sit out chest work, never fear. While Cathe and crew and doing presses, flyes and push ups, use the chance to get some firewalker moves in, do a set of lunges that have not already been incorporated, do some supermans to work the core, do whatever you feel like. I wouldn't worry about the overall calorie burn from any total body weights program being affected by not doing the chest work. Who cares? It's YOUR workout so do what you need to do.

Clare

I have implants under my muscle which I got in 2010 and still train chest and never had any issues. My doctor told me after surgery to allow 12 weeks for recovery before adding chest exercises back in.

@kariev
Glad you chimed in:):). This should put OP mind at ease as it still can be done!
No one need to be sidelined missing out fun chest pump;);)

To OP, please let us know how you get on if you decide to do push up, chest fly etc....
Have fun!;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.