Starting STS - 1RM testing question

cstrain

How long should it take me to get through the 1RM testing? I started today and over 60 minutes didn't even get through the first 3 discs worth. I was alternating muscle groups to give as much rest in between as possible.

Should I try and get through as many of the 5* 1RM exercises as possible before I start the program? Should I just do the ones from Meso 1 and then do more 1RM testing in between Meso cycles?

Also, if I don't complete all the 1RM tests, will the program try and guess weights for my workout cards based on similar exercises? Or will I just have to wing it?

I started my 1RM testing about 3 weeks in advance and I did 5-6 a day. I started 4s & 5s and also did some 3s. The rest I used my best judgment when I did the workout then plugged my numbers into the 1RM after the workout. If you use Workout Manager for your STS workouts (scheduling them on the calendar) then go into the calendar after the workout and plug in what you actually did--weight and reps, then it continues to automatically adjust your 1RM through the STS program.

How long should it take me to get through the 1RM testing? I started today and over 60 minutes didn't even get through the first 3 discs worth. I was alternating muscle groups to give as much rest in between as possible.

Should I try and get through as many of the 5* 1RM exercises as possible before I start the program? Should I just do the ones from Meso 1 and then do more 1RM testing in between Meso cycles?

Also, if I don't complete all the 1RM tests, will the program try and guess weights for my workout cards based on similar exercises? Or will I just have to wing it?
Hi Cstrain. I found mes 1 hard to test. Too many weird excercises. I just tested the basic strength lifts, bench, inclined bench, strict press,curls, squats etc and adjusted " on the fly" on the other stuff! It would take forever and after testing all those lifts you are probably too tired to get an accurate assessment anyway. Glad to hear you are starting sts! It's a great strength program and I think you will be really happy with your results!! Good luck!

If you are not used to tracking the weight lifted prior to STS, taking one rep max can feel tedious. option highlighted
above could workout better. After completing first meso you will gain better judgement on the weight load.
Most of us adjust weight thoughout the program depending on how we feel.:);)ATB

I started a couple of weeks out and did the 4 and 5 stars and some of the 3 stars. With the other stars when I did each disc I inputted into the workout manager and then updated what weight I used and how many reps and got the workout manager to calculate my 1rm then - which updated for the following weeks.

Thanks! I'm excited to start. I bought the program last summer when I was ready to move beyond Jillian, but ended up training for and running a half-marathon and then a marathon instead. Just got my barbell/weights and step with incline riser delivered. I'm pumped!

I also just learned that its good to have done the 1 rep max for the exercises that also just had one star in the manual.
STS is such a great program!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.