Doing STS without the DVDs?

I have completed STS 3 times now, and while I adore the structure of the program, my biggest complaint is that I often feel rushed during some of the exercises. It gets annoying to pause to catch up or rewind a section. So I'm thinking of doing a round of STS from the worksheets alone since I am familiar with the exercises, that way I can take my time. Has anyone tried this? Did you feel like you got the same results as working out with the DVDs?

Stacy

Hi Stacy! I was in the middle of an STS rotation when Superstorm Sandy hit and we had no power for 8 days. I did the weight workouts from the worksheets and walked for cardio. I actually enjoyed it and felt like I did not miss a beat!

Lisa

I never used the dvds except meso 1. That was unusual, but I also felt rushed and often the 2 and 3 workouts took me close to 90 min! My dumbbells are adj powerblocks and they have filler weights and it took a little time to change. I really prefer to do paper....loud music and paper!

I rotate between the dvds and paper. I love LOVE the music in STS, especially the opener, just wakes me up. Usually i will do one full rotation with the dvd's, followed by a few months break and then will do them on paper. The paper workout for me is modified to other pieces of equipment in my gym. For example, I don't trust long bands (not referring to the small loops). I sub-out any band work to cables or springs on my Pilates reformer. (I'm lucky to have the space for a gym, and the equipment I have.) Chin-ups/pull-ups on a lat pulldown machine, push-ups will be done on my reformer and will use the bar at the end, and let the carriage move while doing the push-up. Causing a tremendous core fire-up (if that makes sense). My rebounder is used inbetween the longer segments on Meso 3, when I don't want to sit still. I have an issue with deadlifts, no matter how I train with them, I will eventually get a back tweak. I modify that to a one-leg deadlift using kettlebells and stick in the balance challenge. All my squats are done on a squat machine, so usually I never get over 8 to 10, because I'm lifting over 180 pounds. If I use the dvds, I will be using a barbell and keep it light. Think about all the ways you can tweak this fantastic set.

I have changed this workout so many times, which keeps it very fresh for me. Its my go-to and I ended up buying a full second set, because I'm afraid I'm wearing out my original (I guess a good thing). I worry that eventually everything will go to streaming, and that will be an issue of wifi for me.

Hi ladies! I'm new to STS, just started yesterday. I was wondering if there a work out sheets somewhere? Sheets that tell which exercise in order per DVD. I had a hard time keeping up yesterday. Switching weights in and out and choosing the right size of weight. Any help is appreciated!

I do this two ways:
1. Go the Workout Manager (the link is at the very top far right of this page). Hit that.
2. Workout Manager page comes up which lists categories. Pick STS.
3. Under Make Your Selection...you can pick a Disk and then print it.

Or you can hit Calendar (Under the Workout Manager categories.
1. Pick the day of the week you want
2. Notice to the right in the box it says: *Add Workout*...hit that
3. From there (Make your Selection)...choose STS workout
4. Select the disk number
5. You see the sheet come up and at the very bottom is the Save Print options.

This is also a good way to edit your workout when you are done.

I do this two ways:
1. Go the Workout Manager (the link is at the very top far right of this page). Hit that.
2. Workout Manager page comes up which lists categories. Pick STS.
3. Under Make Your Selection...you can pick a Disk and then print it.

Or you can hit Calendar (Under the Workout Manager categories.
1. Pick the day of the week you want
2. Notice to the right in the box it says: *Add Workout*...hit that
3. From there (Make your Selection)...choose STS workout
4. Select the disk number
5. You see the sheet come up and at the very bottom is the Save Print options.

This is also a good way to edit your workout when you are done.

THANK YOU FOR THE SPEEDY RESPONSE DIRTDIVA!

You're talking about printing the workout cards right?

I did that for disc 1 and noticed not all the exercises match with what she is doing. And not in order of how she does them. I found myself pausing the video after each exercise to try and find the name and what my 60% of 1 RPM was for the exercise. If anyone has a quicker way to get through it, please let me know! Great workout, just cumbersome pausing and looking. Thanks again!

WAIT! I'M EDITING BC I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION! I PRINTED THE 1RM SHEET INSTEAD OF THE WORKOUT CARD! DUH! This will make my workout go smoother today! Woo hoo! Time to go heavy!

Last edited:
THANK YOU FOR THE SPEEDY RESPONSE DIRTDIVA!

You're talking about printing the workout cards right?

I did that for disc 1 and noticed not all the exercises match with what she is doing. And not in order of how she does them. I found myself pausing the video after each exercise to try and find the name and what my 60% of 1 RPM was for the exercise. If anyone has a quicker way to get through it, please let me know! Great workout, just cumbersome pausing and looking. Thanks again!

WAIT! I'M EDITING BC I ANSWERED MY OWN QUESTION! I PRINTED THE 1RM SHEET INSTEAD OF THE WORKOUT CARD! DUH! This will make my workout go smoother today! Woo hoo! Time to go heavy!

I was figuring something wasn't right, or maybe the Workout Manager was down. Awesome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.