Using Pure Strength for slimming

rem13ef

I am looking for feedback if anyone has used Pure Strength to lose inches, especially on your lower body. I just did the Strong Legs & Abs and plan on using the whole series to help with weight loss, along with proper diet,of course. Does the name of the DVD imply that this is for building size and maybe not what I'm looking for? My upper body isn't my problem.

My plan is:
Sun - PS Legs & Abs
Mon - PS Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Backs, Biceps & Abs (combining the 2 workouts)
Tues - Cardio
Wed. - Rest
Thurs- PS Legs & Abs
Fri- PS Chest, Shoulders, Triceps, Backs, Biceps & Abs (combining the 2 workouts)
Sat - Cardio

To lose inches, I believe diet (and some extra cardio) is by far more important than the type of workouts you do. To build size (and I'm sure others may answer differently), I have read that you build size by working to failure whether that be by doing alot of reps, by lifting heavy and/or also by hitting the body parts many times per week. I have found this to be true for myself. I do not want to sacrifice strength so I have been using a weight that is challenging but not working to failure. I do not know what your body type is or where you are starting from, but you may want to consider doing each upper body part only once per week and pairing it with a short cardio segment such as power walking or even kickboxing. This may also serve to help work the kinks out of your legs. You could consider a HiiT type of cardio for Tues and a longer, steady state cardio for your Saturday cardio.

Stacy is right--it is diet. I have worked out every single day for more than a decade. I have done STS 3x, along with Body Beast, Xtrain, RwH and many other workouts/programs--including Edge Booty Extreme 2. They all built muscle but I never lost any inches. In fact, I have gained weight over the past 10 years. I have finally lost weight. 14 pounds since November (my goal was 10 then I decided after I lost 10, I could stand to lose 5 more). And I did it by finally taking strict control of my diet and focusing on metabolic workouts for 3 months. Now I am working very hard to maintain (and lose 1 more pound)--which will probably be even harder than losing it. If you are interested, I have put together several metabolic rotations--two of them I used while losing the first 11 of the 14 pounds. I have been trying to lose the same 10 pounds for 10 years. The only thing that made it finally happen was to finally fix my diet. I'm sure the metabolic workouts helped up my calorie burn but it was the work in the kitchen that made it happen.

Rotation (Cathe Live DVDs)
Rotation (DVDs only)

Stacy is right--it is diet. I have worked out every single day for more than a decade. I have done STS 3x, along with Body Beast, Xtrain, RwH and many other workouts/programs--including Edge Booty Extreme 2. They all built muscle but I never lost any inches. In fact, I have gained weight over the past 10 years. I have finally lost weight. 14 pounds since November (my goal was 10 then I decided after I lost 10, I could stand to lose 5 more). And I did it by finally taking strict control of my diet and focusing on metabolic workouts for 3 months. Now I am working very hard to maintain (and lose 1 more pound)--which will probably be even harder than losing it. If you are interested, I have put together several metabolic rotations--two of them I used while losing the first 11 of the 14 pounds. I have been trying to lose the same 10 pounds for 10 years. The only thing that made it finally happen was to finally fix my diet. I'm sure the metabolic workouts helped up my calorie burn but it was the work in the kitchen that made it happen.

Rotation (DVDs only)

You are absolutely awesome. I was looking for a metabolic rotation and you have helped me greatly. Which workouts from Strong and Sweaty would fit into this rotation?

Hi healing 11! I am so glad my rotation was helpful. I think all of the S&S workouts except Ramped Up Upper Body would work. Giant Sets and PHA are fast paced circuit workouts, so as long as you are lifting heavy enough to elevate your heart rate, they work perfectly.

I do believe that diet is the most important thing of all and that has been my biggest struggle and what I've been working on the most. It's my primary focus. I think that exercise does help, though, especially with helping with motivation. I hadn't heard about metabolic workouts before and have been reading up on them. Jengollf, I don't have most of the DVDs you recommend in your rotation, or use Cathe Live, so I'll have to do more reading and find a program I can do with what I've got.

It's so nice to hear that this is a light at the end of the tunnel. I've done the exercise route too and didn't lose much weight. I do believe that diet is more important.

Several years back I used pure strength for my strength workouts and kickboxing for cardio and lost over 25 lbs. I didn't diet per se but I did watch portions and dropped soda. Great results. Like Cathe says in the legs workout , don't be afraid of heavy weights. They do nice things for you in the end. I also used Gin Miller's statement as my mantra to convince myself to go heavier... if you're going to have a big butt, have a GREAT big butt. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rotation (DVDs only)

Thanks for sharing these rotations Jen!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.