Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 12/4

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Yesterday I went to an agility class with Kylee, and I guess that will have to count as my workout. I usually take Saturday off anyway. The good part of yesterday is that the Saab is now in storage and I have my garage back. :)

Judy, I also will do heavier the next time I do the KCM Melt Down workout. I did like some of the moves, very new and not crazy, like some of her past new moves. Funny that one cat is a counter surfer...and the other is not. They are all so different.

Diane Sue, good job on Body Blast. It seems like everyone is going back to the "oldies but goodies" now. I love Fritz, but would never get a bird again. I always warn people that say they want a bird, (that have never had one) to seriously consider the down sides. It is difficult to go away, you have to have someone come in every day to feed and check on them. Kind of like fish. I always feel guilty when we are gone for a week or so, knowing he is alone except for the few minutes that someone comes in and feeds him. :(. Also, with the dogs, he can't come out of his cage, it could be a disaster. I have heard that Siamese cats do fetch and do things more "dog-like".

Valerie, sorry about jury duty, maybe you will be excused after one day. That happens a lot here. Would your cat eat the soft food mixed into the kibble? I had parakeets when I was young, but they only lived a max of 4 years. One actually flew out the front door when someone was leaving... Called the fire department to see if they would come and get him out of the tree out front, but they wouldn't. I could hear him chirping up there...I was devastated. The only thing our dogs are allowed on is the sofa, and I have a fitted throw on it all the time.

Carolyn, great job finishing the November rotation! :). those overhead extensions with 2 weights are really tough. I can do 12 or 15 pounds when holding one DB, but use 7's when I do it with 2 dB's.

A workout, and errands, etc. I have to go to the library because they sent me an email saying I didn't return a DVD and it is now late. I had 2 of them and returned both on Thursday...somehow they only checked 1 of them back in.

Hope your weekend is going well...take care,

Good morning ladies!

Yesterday was Power Jump 41. I think this is my favorite so far and it is tough. It is the one with MJ's "Thriller" and is so much fun. I followed up with SB's lower body interval. This one gets me deep in the glutes. Total was just about an hour and 535 calories! Love when I go over 500. Until I started jumping that rarely happened. Today going to do another power jump then add on some upper body. I have a lot to do today. I need to leave the house at 3pm for my 5:45pm flight and of course I have not packed yet! Lol!

Deb...how did I miss you had a 37 year old Parrot?? That is a long time. Wish our doggies and kitties would live that long. What is the life span? I bet your basement is lovely. Nice to get your gararage back!!

Judy...so far I like the body by design. Good to know about the metabolic. I will plan to go heavy when I do this. Hoping I like it. Won't have many steps this week...we are in meetings all day Monday and Tuesday. I should have time to get in a workout tomorrow but not sure for Tuesday. It will be my rest day...and rest it will be since I will be sitting down all day!!!

Valerie....for a while there my little Nilla would only eat fresh chicken. Was such a pain. Then I noticed she was started eating the leftover cat food so now she likes canned cat food and will munch on some dry dog food here and there. Can't get her to eat anything else. Funny how she has these food phases. I had an older fit bit and it did not last long. I was very disappointed in it. The newer ones are so much better. I love my Apple Watch though and enjoy counting my steps again. It really can be a motivator.

Carolyn...same here with overhead extensions. When I do do them I never use more then 8lbs. Mostly I skip and do kickbacks. Tricep dips are uncomfortable for me also.

Diane Sue...what a great combination of workouts! I have been doing more light weights, high rep workouts and they seem to be working for me. I was reviewing some older cathe workouts and thought the same thing as how lean they were. Funny to see Cathe's abs too as she always has longer tops now a days. My brother from Arizona happened to mention he went to Sprouts. I chuckled and thought of you! :)

Have a great day all!

Good Morning,
It's a cold rainy day here. Definitely a day to stay inside and read! This is my rest day, but I might do a light stretch later. I made a sweet potato and sausage soup yesterday which will make a good lunch in this weather.

Lori, have a good trip. I often do kickbacks also instead of the overhead extensions.

Diane Sue, I never think of the workout manager. I just looked at it and saw that it was 2012 since I was last there. I never really understood how to use it effectively. I should look at the tutorial.

Valerie, I hope that your jury duty is short in duration.

Hello to Deb, Judy, and Caitlin.

Those of you who use weighted gloves... how do you keep them in place doing boxing workouts? I had them on for 15 min yesterday but the Velcro kept unhooking and flapping loose. happened several times in the first 15, so I took them off to finish. I have the weighted gloves Cathe uses with the zip pocket on back of hand with the weight inside. anyone know how much the boxing gloves weigh? the aggressive downward punching in particular was a problem.

well, I'm the odd person here... I really like triceps extensions. I like kickbacks too. I don't like dips on the floor...... I have arthritic hand/ wrist issues and the position is uncomfortable. I usually jump up and do dips off a bench where I can use a fist position. this is one of those times when cathe's rapid transitions "dips to push ups" don't work. takes too long to go floor to bench and back to floor. I'm hoping my new step ( if santa brings me one) will make it possible to stay on the floor.

diane sue I remember the premix list. somehow I clicked on a different workout than the one I wanted. worked out Ok. wow,there are a lot of jacks . I noticed right away on this one... the sound track is much much less intrusive than Ice series. I am hoping the Sweaty series goes back to a lesser music volume.

Deb, I don't think Puss will eat any canned food. I tried several, he'd barely sniff at them, walked away. the chicken... he comes from out of the room, focuses on it, reaches for it.... completely different reaction. turkey was the same way. I will offer him a few scraps,. maybe a teaspoon full. easier to give him a bit off my plate than to open can after can of food he won't eat. I 'll try a little mild fish too.
Our parakeet never escaped. we only let him out in the evening. a parrot is so much bigger. I can imagine how hard to get a "sitter" to check in on him. My aunt had a parakeet and also a swinging door between her kitchen and the dining room. he came to an unpleasant and sudden end.

I also hope jury is over quickly. My number is in the group that needs to show up so will know more tomorrow.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

I am at airport with plenty of time to kill. This morning I did power jump 45 and it was really great and tougher than the one I just did. Lots of low squats to a jump in this one. I followed up with JS 20 minute arms and I was done. 70 minutes and 628 calories!!!!!! Yeah over 600!!!

Valerie....unless I am using the heavy bag these are similar to the hand weights I use. I have 1lb and 2lb. I prefer these than weighted gloves. I get really sweaty! I habe 2

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tone-Fit...fault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Carolyn...we had a nice day today. Cool but sunny. Glad the weather was good. I get real anxious flying in rainy or snowy weather.

Boarding now. Have a great night all!

Today was a rest day. I did get my Yoga Quick Fix dvd and did 45 minutes, neck, shoulders, and upper back. I did not do the hands and wrist stuff yet. I found that I had already done some bits of the segments from the really short you tube segments I have done. That was it today. Eating has not been great since Thanksgiving. I got left with so much food. I took the rest of the crackers and cheese ball to my daughter's for brunch today because I keep eating them. I am relieved that they are out of the house. I am undecided on the workout tomorrow since I have an appointment early. I will have to see how it goes. I may come back and do weights or just run errands.

Deb, yes, I remember leaving the bird and putting in plenty of food and water hoping he was okay when we got back. A couple of times we just took him to family. I always felt that was a lot of stress for the bird in the car. The fish, family cared for except when we moved 100 miles away. Then we just threw in some of those feeding blocks and hoped they didn't get hungry and eat each other. Fish are bad about eating each other or picking each other to death. We had a large tank with pacu , a clown knife that was 18 inches long, and a jurapari that was about 8 inches. The clown knife swallowed the jurapari and sat at the bottom of the tank for days till it digested the other fish. The octopus in the saltwater kept eating all of the bottle brush living things. It sucked them right out of the tubes. We tried to feed it goldfish but it wanted those 8 dollar bottle brush. We did not have a dog when we had the bird so I had not thought about it too much.

Lori, that sounds like a really intense workout. You have burned some awesome calories. the last couple of days. Yes, Cathe wears longer tops now. I don't see the rest of them wearing ab baring clothing either. LOL on Sprouts and thinking of me. I really was excited when they started putting one in around the corner. I can finally find items for recipes that I was usually substituting other items for or hunting all over the place to get. It would be nice if they carried some things like Advil and Tylenol so it could be a one stop shop. It was rather funny because I saw another lady asking about Tylenol. The employee wasn't sure. I told her I had asked awhile before and they only head things like natural muscle pain relievers and anti inflammatory herbs and stuff. She also couldn't find plain old margarine. I never look for it so I had not noticed that they don't carry it. I think they might have Earth Balance or something for those that do not eat dairy.

Carolyn, I love having soup on a cold wet day. I just seems to fit. I use the workout manager all of the time. It is pretty simple. If I am doing other than Cathe I put the workout in other under dvds or list it under weights if it is weight workout. Plus you can get worksheets for X Train and STS on the workout manager.

Valerie, I have several pair of weighted gloves. I have on in particular that is always coming undone. I just always figured the Velcro was full of lint or something. Some do not seem to have as big of a lap over either to hold. Cathe's 1# pair has a small Velcro strap. The larger pair goes to 2# if all of the weights are in them. I don't remember them ever coming undone. My best pair is 1 1/2 # and I got them from a martial arts site that Kelly Coffey had mentioned on one of her workouts. They stay on the best. The Cathe Gloves are a bit of a pain if you have to remove them and put them back on. I have accidentally clicked the wrong premix and ended up going on with it as well.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Vertical Loading. One of Cathe's best Live workouts! I like the concept, wish she would have included one of these in her new series.

Lori, Great calorie burn! I bet working out to "Thriller" would be fun. The life span of a parrot could be anywhere from 50 years and up. Nope, our basement is a mess...LOL....:). All of John's fishing stuff and hunting etc is all crammed into one side, I hardly have room for my workout stuff. Do you ever do overhead extension with one heavy weight? That was how I normally did them, but in recent years, and especially the Live workouts, Cathe always uses 2 DB's for some reason, so like you, I have dropped down. I use 8's mostly because they are squared off type DB's and easily held together over my head. You're right, Cathe has not worn a workout top that shows her abs in a while.

Carolyn, nice to stay inside and read when it is cold and rainy. That soup sounds delicious.

Valerie, Hope you only have the one day at jury duty. I only have the Cathe weighted gloves with the zippers. Those seem to work well. Dips are hard for me, no matter where they are done, but I like the ones off the step the best. We used to let our parakeets fly around the house too....I had a hanging fish bowl in my room, that one liked to sit on the edge and watch the fish...and Yep...you guessed it, he fell in one time bending over to see the fish...good thing I heard him flapping around in the water and got him out in time.

Diane Sue, nice workouts for your rest day. I never realized that fish in a tank ate each other! That had to be horrible. We will leave Fritz on his own only for one night. I worry about him, he likes to circle around doing laps up and over the top and sometimes gets his nail stuck in a toy or in the cage bar...

A workout, then going to my cousins to work for a bit this morning...class tonight..

Take care,

Good morning!

Up early and did my upper and lowey band workout I created with all my downloads. Great section with firewalker loops. My legs are fried after these from all that jumping from the past couple of days. Felt the burn immediately! 50 minutes and 275 calories. Better than I anticipated.

Deb..wow 50 years for a parakeet! Never knew.

I never used the workout manager. I should look at the tutorial. Perhaps once I understood it I would use it.

Diane Sue...whenI have a ton of leftovers I bring them to work. Keeps everyone happy. The power jump workouts are amazing. Great alternative to running. I tried running again on my treadmill a few months back and it really bothered my knee. No pain at all now.

Have a great day all. Long day for me. Meeting ends at about 8pm then we are off to dinner. I hate late dinners!

Lori... thank you. I have a set of weights ( came with the treadmill) that are hard surfaced but look a lot like those you posted with a strap your hand slides thru. I'll try them next. with the carthe weighted gloves, the weight part swung by off itselfwith every arm thrust and pulled the Velcro wrist band apart quickly. I kept re sticking it but the it would not stay put. if this doesn't work Il try that next. thanks for the suggestion.

wow > 600 cals. you kicked butt!

I did 25 on the treadmill and 15 on the elliptical last night. that is the simplest if time is limited.

Today I did HiiT 30/30. This is the "easier" of the three workouts on that dvd. I used one set of risers instead of two and I did not need to modify much. After that I did part of Ab Circuits Stability Ball Abs. I did not do the moves that involve pikes. I have never been able to do those without falling of the ball!

My Yoga Tune-Up DVDs were delivered this morning. I plan to preview them later today.

Lori, great job on the workout! I looked at some of the power jump clips on YouTube and I am amazed by the energy and intensity.

Hello to everyone.

I had a doctor appointment this morning so all I did was Kelly Coffey Amped up workout 2, 29 minutes, 180 calories. It took much longer than I had anticipated. By the time I got home I was just not feeling like doing a leg workout. I may get some household tasks done.

Deb, vertical loading sounds good. I need to check out vertical loading since I am not quite sure what that concept is. Yes, fish can be aggressive. You have to put the right types of fish together in a tank. Sometimes just size will make one be a bully. We also had to keep feeder tanks of fresh hatched brine shrimp for sea horses and goldfish for certain picky eaters like the sand shark. Also for our large aggressive tank. The Pacu would actually eat bits of dog food and you could hear them crunching. It was a learning experience for our children and grandchildren. The only thing was the grandchildren would pick out fish and name them after themselves and one of them would kill the other. I finally told them we were not naming the fish after them anymore. You have to make plenty of hiding places for them. One funny thing is the starfish had personality. It would get up on two of it's points and try to grab the banded shrimp that was moving around. I never new they would do something like that. My Parakeet Dummy got caught in the wires once in the cage. I heard him struggling and making noises and went to check. I got his wing uncaught and he came out of the cage. He started swooping at me and I ducked and ran. It was probably hilarious because after that we discovered he was just wanting to sit on my shoulder. I sometimes keep a 20# out for the overhead extensions or a 15# depending on the workout. I do not like holding two dumbbells together. I feel it is uncomfortable. I just figured it kept them from having to have an extra dumbbell out when they could just use two. The thing is, when I wrap my hands around something wider like the two dumbbells it makes my joints hurt afterward. I just sort of figured workout clothing styles have changed and wearing tiny shorts and sports bras is not the in thing right now. I think the shorts were sort of the thing not long ago though. I mostly wear capri's and a tank or shirt with the sports bra but if I get really warm the shirt comes off. No one is around so I don't care so much about fashion trends. I did get a bright colorful pair of capris more recently just for fun :)

Lorie, isn't it amazing how much you feel the jumping and work from the rebounder? I swear for so long I thought the rebounder would just make workouts easier. I was definitely wrong. That is great that you are able to run on the treadmill again with not problems.
I try to send the leftovers home with everyone. But a lot of the time they are the same way and try to leave it all here. I feel guilty when I am putting food down the garbage disposer. I try freezing for another company meal when I can. Taking it for family brunch was the best I could do and I still ate crackers over there. I am so glad they are out of here.

Valerie, the dumbbells like Lori mentioned is a good idea too. My 2# are similar to what she has but a bit firmer looking green foam coating and the handle is adjustable. Although it has Velcro on it. My 1 lb are 1 piece dumbbell and handle.

Carolyn, I have not done the Hiit Shock Cardio workouts in awhile. I was thinking that one did not use the step? I need to look. My favorite was 40/20. I hope that you get a lot of good out of the Yoga Tune Up dvds.

Diane Sue, the step was used mostly for the warm up. All but one of the other exercises were on the floor. I like the 30 second recovery time.

Reactions: WD
Carolyn, thanks. I try not to do step too many days in a row. My knees will start letting me know I have had enough. I remember liking the longer break on that one.

OMG this is supposed to be a 2 week trial!! can't do this, I will jump off a cliff. ( I will build a cliff to jump off of!). they haven't picked jury yet, sat all day and listened, got questioned, blah blah blah. AWFUL!!! lots of people got squirrely when it was clear this would be long. If they don't accept my legitimate reasons, which I do have, I will do whatever is needed, including paying a fine if I have to. other people have real financial reasons not to sit in a chair for 8 hrs for 2 weeks. (most peoples' jobs don't cover more than 2 days of salary). I could do a day or two, 3 is stretching it, but I can't do 2 weeks. NO. I would like to do my job but this is WAY too much. I don't know how anyone can do this. I understand someone has to, but I can't do anything this long. today felt like it was 48 hrs long. awful traffic, parking, and on and on. and tomorrow it's supposed to snow, and here, it makes traffic beyond belief crazy.

this is some serious venting so I don't expect an answer! I have to go back in tomorrow and will need to get up in pre dawn darkness to do a treadmill or something. if I can sleep at all.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did a Cardio Coach treadmill workout and KCM's Yoga Flow Stretch. I really liked the stretch....and I am not usually fond of anything "yoga"...

Lori, are you doing your workouts in the hotel gym or in your room? No, 50 years for a parrot! LOL...I tried the workout manager once when it first came out. and got frustrated by it for some reason...can't remember why...but it turned me off to it. I should go back too, since I am sure there have been many improvements since then. I agree, those work dinners after working all day can be very exhausting...and they start so late.

Carolyn, who did the Yoga Tune Up DVD's...I know you probably mentioned it but it slipped my mind.

Diane Sue, how did the DR appointment go? Was it for your neck etc? Check out the clip of the Vertical Loading Live workout...I think Cathe may explain it there or in the post that she does the day before. You start at the top of your body, eg shoulders, and do an exercise, then move down to biceps, then back then legs/core...she does 6 parts I think, then start again at the top etc with a different 6 exercises and move down...then do it again. I think there are 3 sets of 6 exercises. I think for some reason the 2 DB's together for the overhead extension gets my triceps better, as long as I can keep good form and do them right. It's just tough to keep them from slipping around. I don't think I would want to see my pets eating each other...:(...especially if they are named after the grandchildren...

Valerie, so sorry about the jury duty...:(.

A workout, then my cousin and I are going to take a trip to a little local town. (actually where my Dad was born) to a store called Vidler's. It is an original 5 & 10 store that has been the same since it opened. See link: . It is kind of a "destination" outing that a lot of people around here like to go to during the holidays. They have stuff that you have not seen anywhere for years...since you were a kid. I love it there. When I stayed with my grandparents in the summer, my grandmother and I would walk to Vidlers from there house..it was one of our regular outings.

http://www.vidlers5and10.com/departments

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

Long day yesterday. Meeting went to 8 pm. Going to try and do a sb lower body in a few minutes. Glad I am coming home tonight. I'll be getting home late but at least I will be home.

Diane sue...I am sorry I meant my knee does not hurt at all with jumping. I gave my TM to my son because it was really hurting my knee. I miss running but jumping has made up for it and friendlier on the joints. I agree the vertical loading sounds really great. When Lynda did it she gave it a 5. Been meaning to try it out.

Valerie...oh no 2 weeks! Hoping this does not happen!

Deb...oh I did meant Parrot. What a fun day today. That store looks amazing!

Have a great day all!!

I am a little less upset this morning. don't have to be there until 9. I will talk to someone about why I don't think I can be impartial on this case and hopefully be excused. maybe put on another case or trial. I am probably on the list to be rejected anyway, because of my history and DH being a retired physician. anyway, I did get up and do 30 on the treadmill using those hand weights I mentioned at about 4 mph and 5 % incline. . they are too heavy and hard as bricks for boxing. If I dropped one I'd take out the TV screen or dent the floor. also did core 1 from xtrain.

Lori, I will look for one like you linked to or maybe I'll do it without hand weights for a while to see if I like it enought

I don't like holding the 2 dumbbells together very much. I always get a few hairs from my ponytail caught between the dumbbells and it hurts!. I try to keep a little space between them.

Last edited:
Today was Muscle Max. I've always enjoyed doing this one. Yesterday I did the 5 minute and 10 minute Yoga Tune-Up Quick Fix for shoulders. When I started to preview I realized that I could do them instead of watching.

Deb, the Yoga Tune-Up dvds are by Jill Miller. They are very short, which is good for me when adding on. That store looks wonderful. It's the type of place that I could enjoy visiting.

I don't like using 2 Dumbbells either. I much prefer one heavier dumbbell which is what I use.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.