Lifting like girls

I couldn't get it done this morning...another hour of sleep won over...you guessed it...LEG DAY! I WILL make it up...promise! Tomorrow is shoulder day and hopefully it will go well. All the bragging on my arms getting bigger has a down side, left elbow has been sore ( not smart enough to rest it,),but so much fun to watch them grow! Speaking of growing, my weight is a runaway train. They reduced my dosage of immune suppressant and I think it must be helping me gain weight! I weighed 205 at a friend's house this evening...geeze, may have to start....GULP...CARDIO??? Or DIETING ?? Ugh! Lisa, the floor really sounds great! Even if not cardio it would be fun to " drop a weight" on it! Karen, combining a kb workout with legs is NUTS!! Nuttin but props warrior sista!! I am a slacker, it's official...but I will make up LEG day!

Last edited:
Kind of a limited delt day. Presses were ok, kept the sets light and long, but side laterals ,front raises, and even heavy shrugs were no go due to the left elbow. I did 10 sets of militaries, and 3 sets of rear delt flys which were tolerable, I finished with 2x25 cable crunches and 3 minutes of planks. I think I will treat it like a bit of a deload, makes it mentally tolerable. Tomorrow is arm day and I think it will be like an IQ test...not expecting to score well! I will try to stay light and hopefully get things healed up a bit. Working today due to missing a day last week, but it does the old guy good to participate in the "healing arts". Have a great Wed friends!!

Karen, I think the reason the snow can't stick to the ground anywhere near you is because you are too smokin' hot. You're working it. None of your workouts ever look easy!!!

Tom, sometimes sleep is what you need. That dang elbow. I'm sorry to hear about it. Although I will add that, ahem, a lot of cardio is very elbow friendly!

Today I did a mish mosh from my own brain, consisting of cardio boxing, barre (gulp!), and heavy shoulders. Different and what I needed to get myself motivated today.

Hey all!!
Lisa, just when you tell me I'm smokin' hot, I poop out. Today the workout was short and to the point. Another Lauren Brooks KB workout "The Maximus Destroyer." 20 minutes. Just didn't feel like lifting today. Some days are like that. Not a real killer, but adequate. The holidays are making me lazy.
Tom, nice work. Definitely more than adequate. I'm impressed with your guns, and I haven't even seen them.
Lisa, your mish mosh is killer. Cardio boxing, barre and heavy shoulders. Nice. The fact that you love cardio, blows me away. Even when I taught "aerobics," I was glad when the cardio portion was over. I'm impressed!
Going to bed early tonight. The dogs have kept us up at night. They love rolling in the snow, so wake us up to go out. Putting the K'bosh on that real soon. Up all night with young children is hard enough, now dogs? Not playing. I've become a tyrant in my old age.
Have a great evening!

Weird w/o but gratifying. I started with 3x8 chin ups, then went to close grip bench and did sets of 8 at 45, 95, 135, 155, 175, 155, and 135. Next were tri pushdowns, 3x10, then leg day arrived and I did sets of 8 bench squats at 45, 115, 165, and 205, followed by 3x10 static dumbbell lunges, 2x10 1 leg deads, 2x25 barbell calf raises, and 2x20 single leg calf raises. I couldn't go on any curls so I fell back on isos short rom flexes using the opposing hand for resistance. This seems to be good because I cant completely extend the arm and seems to cause less stress on the tendons. I did 3x25 of these and finished with 2x25 seated knee ins and 2x25 cable crunches. Later this afternoon I am headed to Kansas City for meetings. I know they have dumbbells up to 50#, but I am "staying the he!!" away from them!! Karen, I have seen some of Lauren Brooks stuff, looks interesting, Some slender blonde with her was clean and pressing 24 kg bells pretty easily and didn't look like she should be able too...kettlebells must work! Lisa, great work on the heavy shoulders !! ( the rest of that stuff...blah blahblah HAHA just kidding!) Have a great end of week and weekend my friends!

Ok my friends. I may have spoken too soon. I wrote somewhere that Lauren Brooks was nothing to write home about. I must apologize, and eat crow. I think I tried a couple of KB workouts of hers years ago, and was not impressed. I have been doing some of her more recent DVDs, and she has some very good "stuff." Doesn't look too difficult, however, I found myself huffing and puffing like the little steam engine. I found them quite good. Definitely going to do more.
Tom, your an animal, keep up the great work, and be safe traveling to Kansas City.
Lisa, hope you are well, and having fun creating your new home, and most important that workout room.
Today my workout was a Lauren Brooks KB and suspension training program. Very enjoyable. It was my first time doing this particular program, so next time I will definitely go up in weight.
Have a great evening!!

Hello everyone. It hit the fan here. And hard.
Richard ended up cheating on me. Which worked out to be the best in the end. Bruised ego stinks. But, I am glad it's done now.

I almost dropped out of school and teaching (kind of lost my way and myself for a bit) but I pulled it together (of course) and decided to take a trip over Thanksgiving. So the kids and I wine to North Carolina, loved it. Visited friends, wrote a lot on my final paper. Then we spent four days in Myrtle Beach. I had never been that far east, and it was refreshing. I returned and tackled what needed to be done, and remembered I can do this.

On the bright side, I'm down 22 lbs :)
I have until Monday to finish this last paper, I teach two more days (students are giving speeches), then give the final, then I give a presentation of my paper, then done for the semester.

Lisa, Core de Force definitely is an ab workout. My abs hurt for the first week. I don't like the body weight days, which means I wound care for Insanity after all.

Any ideas when strong and sweaty will be shipped?

Lib, hi! (((HUGS))) to you. Sounds like life has dealt you some rough situations. You are so strong, keeping it all together for you and your boys. It makes total sense that you'd hit a breaking point. I'm glad you took that trip to North Carolina. Sounds like it really boosted your health. You keep it up, we're so proud of you. Richard blew it big time by losing you, but of course you know he clearly wasn't worth it anyway. Take care. Congrats on your weight loss, too! Sounds like you're still working Core de Force plus Insanity? Whoa.

Karen, of course you are smokin' hot! You can get a LOT of killer work done in 20 minutes. Longer workouts don't always mean higher quality or effort! Totally understand your point of view on Lauren Brooks. Sometimes it takes instructors a while to get it together and put out good DVDs, and sometimes it's just our own workout personalities evolving over time. No shame in either of those things! Great combo yesterday of KB and suspension! Yeah, I typically really enjoy cardio. I do go through phases where I only want 30 mins and then I'm DONE. Other times I love the longer, steady state. I just go with it but always always include the weights where I can. I like those too. I like it all. :)

Tom, you got in some good work work before your trip. Like Karen said, safe travels to KC and use those dbs wisely. ;)

Yesterday was super busy, sorry for not checking in. I did RWH Back, Shoulders, Bis. Today I did my latest Live guilty pleasure, Step Grooves Live. I'm eyeing the latest Live for tomorrow's workout.

TGIF!!!

Lib, sorry to hear that Richard was a jerk, but sounds like a little R&R and you have bounced back! Welcome
back, we have missed you! Guys are a "DIME A DOZEN", this I know cause " I is one"!! You will find the right one! Today was mostly cardio (yep, you heard me right), abs, and some light shoulders and bi's.I actually did 23 minutes on the airdyne and then 2x50 crunches followed by a 2 minute plank. resting my elbows in the bench and bringing alternate knee to chest. Next I did a 90 sec side plank on each side. I did 4 light and long sets of shoulder press and 4 sets of resisted bi rom isos. I didn't touch the weights at KC and tried some really light dumbbell curls today, but had to quit. It will be ok if I just give it some time...that's the hard part! WEEKEND IS ON!!! Have a terrific one Commandos!

Tom, feeling super proud of you for those 23 mins of cardio!!! Your plank times are always impressive. I'd agree that the bad boys are a dime a dozen, but the good ones are keepers for sure, and I think you are definitely one of the good guys (the real question is would your DW agree, LOL?!?!). Glad that you're part of our Commando check-in.

Karen, I think I just found my newest Cathe Live love!!! Today I did Circuit Works Plus Barre and Core Live (12/1/16) and it was just flat out, unapologetic fun. Quick moving but balanced, leaving you energized and feeling accomplished...even despite having barre exercises in it! :)

Everyone have a great weekend! Be back Monday.

Call of the wild this morning, did some things I didn't hit yesterday. Started with a 3 mile airdyne then chin-ups x12 8, then deads 205x6 (sumo) 8 (conventional) and 10 (sumo). I followed deads with 2x18 kb swings and 1x35 cable crunches, My heart rate was pretty elevated during most of the w/o, and Karen, those kb swings "lit me up"! I only have a 50# for my heaviest, but after deads, they were killer! I wasn't sure I had anything left to sit on! Got some good posterior chain work, tomorrow is chest and tris, so I left those alone. Lisa, I would have to carefully select when I asked DW that question! Probably some type of sainthood awaits her! Have a great Sunday Ladies. By the way, snow on the ground here this morning...ugh! In fact it is on my dish and I cant get the internet to work....looks like "broom time".

Merry Monday in Commando Land! Today was chest and tris. I did a 10 set bench pyramid with a set of isos between each set. I did do 1x3 at 200# and this is the first time in awhile I have been able to do that...feel like right shoulder definitely getting better! After bench I did 4 sets of pushdowns and 3 sets of kickbacks for tri's and called it a day. Hope y'all have a great start to your week!

Boxing, HiiT Blasts, and Core Live (8/11/16) for me today. Hard to pull myself out from under the covers but I did it, and of course feel better because of it.

Tom, impressed that you pulled out the KB yesterday! Karen is motivation to go for the gold, isn't she?! I liked what you put together yesterday . Looks fun! So glad your right shoulder was being your friend this morning . We have cable TV and Internet in our rental home right now and I am glad about it because our Direct TV satellite on our old house would always poop out when it snowed OR when it rained. A total pain.

Karen, what's up ?

Great Monday afternoon to y'all.

Greetings!!
Yes, we made it through Monday. Today was volume 3 of HoCo. It felt good, but was definitely a workout.
Good job with the KB workout, Tom. Nice to pull it out every once in awhile, right?
I'm with you, Lisa. Hard to pull myself from under the covers. But here we are. Glad your internet is behaving. I've never had a dish. But, my neighbors were always complaining about it. Nice workout.
Good to hear from you, Lib. Hang in there, I've said it before, you CAN do this. Oh, and men are a dime a dozen. (just kidding Tom) Someday, you will find Mr. Right, and be absolutely positively thrilled that it was not Richard.
Great evening to you all!

Hi y'all! Back and bi day. 3 sets of chin ups, 1x 30 sec FAH, 3 sets of pullovers, 3 sets lat pulldowns, and for bi's, 5 sets of ez bar curls (loved this), and 3 sets of conc curls and 1 set of ROM bi isos. I finished with a set of heavy cable crunches. I got along great with the ez bar curls...no big problems! Do it like Commandos my friends and have a great Tuesday!

Karen, uh oh, the HoCo is baaaaack! Great work! Is it snowing there today? We got our first official dump this morning.

Tom, what is "FAH?" All I can think is "fast as hell" but I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant! Fantastic news about those pain-free ez bar curls.

This is becoming the story of my life: it was supposed to be leg day and I slept like garbage so I couldn't do it. Opted for Cardio & Weights Live instead. I think this was the 3rd Live so it has some weird camera stuff in it but it's a great little workout.

Yep, what Tom said...have a great day!

Hi everyone!
Well, the weather report has been telling us we are getting snow. So far, no snow. The mountains,have snow. None here in the valley. Well, I did a no no, for this time of year. I bought four of KCM new dvd's. I did the first workout on Strength and Stamina. It was a good one. So, I guess I will slowly work my way through all of them. It's official, I'm a vidiot. Trying to work everything in, will be interesting.
My definition of hell. Holding my chin above the chin-up bar. Torture on the rack would be easier. Pretty sure I wouldn't do the rack either.
Nice work, everybody. I'm off for some dry chicken breast, and veggies. This is getting old. I need some juicy ribs.
Have a great evening!

As I prepare to decend into the dungeon of despair and destitution, knowing full well that the possibility of me NOT returning is credible, I find solace in the fact that I am waging war against my inner demons and I will prevail!! While my body may be beaten, bruised and ravaged, my spirit will soar and transcend!! Who am I kidding, it's just LEG DAY!!! Off to humiliate myself....again lol!

Tom, did you do it??!?! It was leg day for me too. We're in this together, man! Ah, flexed arm hang. Well next time you can try my recommendation and just go fast as hell. Would definitely be more enjoyable. I think there's a move in Cross Fit where you try to do as many chins as possible in a set period of time, so that makes it legit right?

Karen, I've seen those new KCM DVDs. Was going to preorder but decided it would just be more DVDs to move. I've heard they are terrific. I adore KCM. You still on your cut? Are skinless chicken thighs allowed? Those at least have some flavor! Your dreams of ribs made me LOL because I was randomly talking to someone about the McRib the other day. I've never had one but I have a brother who is obsessed. I wish I could package up our snow and send it your way. I want no part of it! :)

Like I said, leg day today and I got it done after much doubt in my brain. Opted for Legs & Glutes Live (8/20/15). Love this one. Every time I do it I think "I should do the Legs & Glutes DVD soon" and then I don't because all I want to do are the Live workouts! As it is I am going to have to force myself to work in the Strong & Sweaty Series.

It's Wednesday! Almost made it to the weekend!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.