Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 10/23

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Lots of errands yesterday, we had to exchange a light we bought, and get a new cordless phone. Very cold here yesterday, I guess it's finally fall.

Lori, that is great that you found a way to get Gigi to stop pestering Nilla....yes, they grow so fast.

Valerie, I hope the booster works for you. That is great that you found all the info etc for the camper....I wonder why he even bothered to stuff it somewhere. Strange. When you say there may be more steps ( regarding the reflux), what did you mean? I will try almost anything. I guess the theory of "too little acid" must not be true for me, since they tested for that H. Pylori and that was negative

Diane Sue, that is great that you got the results and it seems that they are good ones too. I have a nodule too that they found in the scope...on a vocal cord. I have to get that checked out. Maybe one on the thyroid could be causing some of the issues you have. What greens powder do you use again?

A workout, then HouseMax for me. Later this afternoon we have a member appreciate BBQ at the dog club...with a Halloween parade of the dogs in costumes which is always a fun thing to watch.

Take care,

Today I did Urban Rebounding Dance bound on my rebounder. These older workouts are much lighter than the extreme workouts. I only like a few of the workouts on the dvds, but it worth it I got a couple when I got URX Extreme for free and I purchased one from Amazon. This was 34 minutes (I had to stop and check a couple of texts actually 31 minutes) 199 calories burned.

Deb, I have pretty much always used Amazing Grass Antioxidant ORAC. I recently am using Incredible Greens which really does taste pretty good. One of the ones with pretty much thing you can think of is from Green Vibrance. Either Maximum Vibrance that even has protein in it or another they have. Green Vibrance is expensive and I pick up a single packet once in awhile. I do have some of their lower cost one that is just green energy with probiotics. I feel it does not have enough stuff in it. I remember that you said that you had a nodule too. Hopefully it is ked and not worrisome. Maybe something that will go away.

Reflux is a common complaint and usually docs recommend a list of "non medical measures" in addition to meds. the goal is to reduce or eliminate meds if possible. many things already mentioned, like elevating head of bed, avoiding certain foods and drinks.
http://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/guide/understanding-gerd-prevention
each person is different though. the same things don't trigger reflux in everyone, so the same things won't prevent it in everyone either. I personally have almost never had heartburn. maybe I'm just lucky. I'm speaking mostly from what DH used to tell his patients and what I see him do when he's bothered.

we got the booster yesterday but suddenly our channel reception dropped dramatically. we changed nothing! sometimes I wonder if TV stations drop their transmission signal down on weekends. will see if it is back up on Monday.

DH had a camper parts folder in a drawer. it probably looked like it might have cc numbers. it didn't. all product info material. so the guy probably grabbed it, looked inside and didn't see anything useful, and shoved it behind the camper where it fits up against the truck bed. when DH took the camper off, all the papers fell out. We thought it was likely he'd dump the folder. I looked along the road for it right away. our next door neighbors had their truck robbed last year, we recovered a work binder for them that was tossed into our bushes. Campers are put together with pieces from 2 dozen companies. if you need to repair/replace, the dates, phones, model #'s etc is useful to have.

we are re building a wall in our garden. lots of work on it yesterday. it is heavy work. that was all the exercise I needed. DH is off getting some big landscape bricks. can hardly wait.
Lori more puppy pics please...

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Total Body Tone Up (55 min.). I was going to do the new one--Shock something--but noticed it was a mere 39 min. and I like to do something longer to start out the week. Maybe I will try that one tomorrow.

Judy, that is an incredible number of miles! Really impressed.

Deb, I watched Suits when the new season was on TV. I did DVR it and watched a couple episodes at a time. I am fond of all the characters by now.

Diane Sue, I hope all your tests are upbeat and you continue to be on the mend. It looks like you are easing back into working out with less strenuous routines.

Valerie, that is so lucky that you recovered all of that information. Is the wall in your garden meant to discourage burglars?

Very sad to see the foliage all being blown off after a big rain yesterday. It was so beautiful, and within a couple days, the trees look skeletal--except for the oaks--so I am hoping for a bit more gold when they turn. They are always late.

Lori, Gigi sounds very smart and easier to train than Chester. Yes--more pics of the girl. Was the Shock workout a good one??

Hi to Carolyn, Josie, and Caitlin!

Valerie, I sometimes think that maybe it is because more people are at home and more using the signal. That probably does not make sense though. I keep reading that it is how close the signal is. But, the closest towers are sometimes the worst. With our internet I get a message on Netgear Genie saying high traffic at night and on weekends and holidays. It is very annoying because I lose the internet when I am right in the middle of something. It is not the speed, it is the traffic.

Lynda, it is sad seeing the foliage go away. I had my grandson pull the morning glories and rake out the planter this Friday. It looks so bare in the winter. I keep telling my husband I would like to put in something evergreen. We would have to used roundup like the landscaper we used before did first. The morning glories come back up every year. They were starting to turn black on some of the leaves and were not pretty. I love the foliage colors through the seasons though. A good hard storm with the high winds sure does take away the leaves quickly.

No workout yesterday or today. I had another weather induced sinus headache but I am fine now. I picked up some peppermint and eucalyptus essential oils that I hope will help keep my head clear. If not, they smell wonderful and it's very relaxing.

Judy I am very impressed with your cycling workouts. That challenge sounds like a great motivator. I like to do things to motivate myself, but I am such an introvert that I never signup to compete with others. As an example, I will do individual Fitbit challenges, but not group challenges.

Deb, it sounds like you are in for a period of trial and error to figure out what foods are problematic. With my daughter we had to eliminate many foods and gradually add back to see how she reacted. I don't blame you for not wanting to be on medication long term.

Diane Sue, it sounds like your doctors are narrowing down the list of possible problems. I had nodules on my thyroid many years ago. I was treated and now I take thyroid hormone. I hope you have answers soon.

Hi to everyone and wishing you a wonderful afternoon.

Good afternoon ladies!

Yesterday I ended up doing Live Sweat Jump and Pump. Decided at the last minute to try this one out. When done I felt completely worked and did not need to add on. It was a tough one. Today was 2 of the workouts that came with the Jumpsport. They were better than I thought they would be. When I first viewed the dvd and saw the trainer I thought good for Jumpsport using an older instructor and assumed they were going to be easy. Hahah she kicked my butt and I loved it. The workout below is the beginner workout so you can see the instructor. I did not do this workout. I may try it out now that I see there are different levels. The strength one had you on the floor doing pushups and side planks off the rebounder. She is very fit. I did use my ankle weights and 2lb hand weights.

I stopped while typing this to do one of the Country Heat workouts while Bob took GiGi for a walk. I really enjoyed it and worked up a sweat. 301 calories for the Country Swing workout. Just over 30 minutes. the moves were really easy to learn and not dancy like Cize was. I had no problem catching on. Was a lot of fun and flew by.

Deb...we got rid of our home phone a couple years ago and do not miss it at all. Tomorrow when on my laptop I'll post some pictures. Would be so much easier if I could from my Ipad!

Lynda...boy did we get some rain the past few days! I plan to do the Shock one tomorrow and will let you know. The video clip looks good and not too crazy like the name implies. GiGi is so much easier to train than Chester was. He was so stubborn! We so still miss him very much. The other day driving home from work I was emotional thinking of him.

Valere...so nice you got that folder back. So hard to replace information like that. Yes...what kind of wall are you buidling?

Carolyn...I use peppermint and eucalyptus for my shoulder when it is bugging me. And yes...smells really nice. Glad you feel better.

Diane Sue...very cute about Harvey. My brothers had a bunny when we were young. Keeping our fingers crossed the newspaper works for a while. So far so good. Glad you are feeling better and easing into your workouts.

Cathe seems to be moving along with the new DVD's. I am looking forward to these plus the Advanced Tower workouts she mentioned she would be filming in the beginning of the new year.

Have a great evening all!

I just reviewed the video I posted it actually is a compliation of all the workouts that came with the Jumpsport not just the beginner workout that I thought.

Carolyn, I have a vapor oil blend that has peppermint and eucalyptus. I have used it with the allergies. The same company has one called heat for body aches and muscle soreness. I have been rubbing my neck and lymph nodes with a blend that has orange oil and smells a lot like orange peel along with frankincense. Orange oil is supposed to help lymph glands detoxify or something. I figured it couldn't hurt and the combo smells nice.

Lori, the instructor is in good shape. The jump sport looks nice. I would bet it is a lot better to do the lying stuff and push ups etc. on it than the urban rebounder that you have to work over the springs. They are mostly covered but uncomfortable. Also they squeak. I am glad I have it though :) It is better than a lot of the really low cost ones you see in stores. I am looking forward to Cathe's new workouts.

I think going back into workouts at a slower pace is better for healing. If I get too aggressive I am afraid I will slow my progress for healing down.

Harvey and Mudd. I ended up sitting here going over some old pictures. Harvey had the funniest personality. When you opened the refrigerator you had to hurry and get it closed before Harvey was sitting in it.

Attachments

• DSC00629 (800x600).jpg
    DSC00629 (800x600).jpg
    348.6 KB · Views: 9
Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Strong Total Body. It felt good getting a workout in again. Our Worker Appreciation BBQ went well. Everyone enjoyed the food, the company, and the dogs Halloween parade was cute.

Diane Sue, great that you are feeling better and can do a workout. Good idea to keep to a slower pace so your body can heal. Thanks for the info on the greens, I will check them out. I think you said before that you get them on Amazon. Cute pic of Harvey & Mudd.

Valerie, yes, I have been on a "non-acid" diet since September 3. I have lost 10.5 pounds, so not all is bad. My goal is to get off of these meds as soon as I can. If it means I need to keep on eating like this, then so be it. I had really never had heartburn before this either....maybe one occurrence. Strange that adding the booster messed up the other channels.

Lynda, maybe I will try that new "Shock....something today too. I have to check out the clip for the amount of high impact moves to modify.

Carolyn, I hope the essential oils help, but agree, if not, they smell nice anyway.

Lori, that rebounder looks interesting...but more moves in the clip looked like they use it more for pushups, and core work. I never saw a clip of Amber's country dance workouts, do they have clips on the BB site? Yes, more pics please!

A workout, then errands, bank, and taking John's car in for oil change etc.

Take care,

Deb, yes I generally get the greens powder from Amazon. Once in awhile when Sprouts has a sale like bogo on them I can get the Green Vibrance and Amazing grass there. I had been doing of reviews etc for the best. Amazing Grass Always shows on them as a lower cost version. I found Incredible Greens there and read reviews on Amazon and decided to try it. It is one of the better flavored ones and has a lot in it. There was some question on soy lecithin in it but he explains it on his website and why it is not bad and helps absorb the nutrients. The price was not much more than Amazing Grass. You get lots of nutrients with these.

Our vegie garden is not flat, multiple levels. wish it weren't but our entire lot goes downhill from the road. we built retaining walls with logs when our lot was cleared. they are 25 years old now and disintegrating. so building a new wall with the concrete landscape blocks. they weigh 60 lbs each. about 8"x 15x 6" ...the ones that link together & stack. we did the first 30 of them. the hard part is getting a flat base layer. we had a buried tree stump, roots, other issues. the wall will be from 1 ft to 4 ft high if it works as planned. each brick is a lot to wrestle out of the truck, onto a hand truck and then to the spot. that was the workout for the day. plus gravel.

no idea why the TV signal varies so much. we are 45 miles from transmission towers. no reason reception should be wonderful on Friday and crappy on sunday. I think TV signals from towers are unaffected by how many people use them at any given time. we haven't hooked up the booster yet.

we were happy to get the folder back.. If you need to replace, it's so much easier if you know exactly part and #.

Deb, congratulations... not that it's been an easy process.... (I would love to lose 10 lbs). If the reflux is improved, I would think you would continue to do what you are doing, and then carefully try out things you want to add back in after it's stable for a while.

Harvey is the rabbit? what a cute little guy.

I have had a song stuck in my head... Foreigner, "Don't stop believing" it's been stuck in my head for several days. It has been an issue since we finished Sopranos and it won't go away. it was the song that was playing on the jukebox at the end.

More brick work today, and an eye appt, and groceries. plus I am talking to my friend who had pancreatic. she has been doing well, but now something has come up that looks like a problem.

Today was Lean Legs and Abs. I have only done this one a few times for some reason--it seems to get dropped when I need to adjust a rotation. I did enjoy it however.

The essential oils are definitely helping with my sinus and allergy issues. I am going to purchase a diffuser, something I've been meaning to do for a while. Does anyone have a preferred brand of essential oils?

Lori, the trampoline workout clip has me very interested. I searched for a few more to get ideas for how the trampoline is used. I appreciate seeing people working out who are closer to my age group than my children's ages when I look for activities .

Greetings to all.

Hi Ladies,

I did my usual routine last week, Monday was a rest day, Tuesday I ran and Karina came over, Wednesday was spin and Thursday was bodypump and Karina. Did not workout on Saturday and yesterday I went to spin class.

This morning I got up early to fix my DD a birthday breakfast, she turned 26. My husband Norman will be turning 63 tomorrow and we will be flying to Las Vegas early in the morning. We will be there until Wednesday night. Our flight leave at 8:30, so we will probably be having breakfast by 10 :).

Deb, I love spicy foods and lately I've been having heartburn when I eat it. I guess all these issues come as we get older. I alway tell my husband that if I can't have spicy food, then he should just shoot me. I can not live without my jalapenos :(

Lori, I'm glad that Gigi is not bothering Nilla as much. I still get emotional when I talk or think of Astro. He has been gone for over 4 years.

Valeri, glad that you found the paperwork. The wall sounds like a great workout. Are you sore?

Garance, are you knitting anything for winter? Have you made any new outfits?

Judy, I remember when you were doing the challenge. Doing it again would get your ready for the Aids lifecycle ride.

Diane Sue, Im glad that you are feeling better and that you are working out again.

Josie

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Shock Circuit (39 min.). I went lighter on some of the weights because I did weights yesterday, and I also modified some, not all, of the impact. A good workout--I'd give it a 4 instead of a 5 because it's a bit too fast-moving at times and I would miss a couple reps at the beginning.

Diane Sue, so you let Harvey hop around the house loose? Cute pic with the dog, especially considering that dogs conventionally like to chase rabbits.

Carolyn, I liked LLA too and alternated it with GG for several weeks, maybe months.

Valerie, that sounds like a lot of work! Definitely enough of a workout. "Don't Stop Believin'" was also Bill Clinton's campaign song. I think Hilary's is "This is my fight song" or something like that.

Deb, I guess the heartburn has been a mixed blessing if you managed to lose that much weight so quickly.

Josie, I am trying to finish a summer cotton sweater that now I won't wear until next summer. I also have a wool cardigan I need to block before sewing the pieces together and I need some buttons for a summer jumpsuit that is languishing in my sewing room. I always have a few things to work on while watching TV. Like you, I can't live without my hot stuff. No heartburn, thank goodness.

I am off to stay with a friend for a few days. The Columbia County film festival is on, so I will be seeing several films. She also wants to go to a couple classes at her gym, so I will be bringing my workout clothes. Hoping for a Zumba class.

Here are a few pictures from this weekend. My son is getting hairier every time I see him! :)

Attachments

• GiGi 1.jpg
    GiGi 1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 12
  • GiGi 2.jpg
    GiGi 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 11
  • GiGi and Nilla.jpg
    GiGi and Nilla.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 12
  • GiGi and Nick.jpg
    GiGi and Nick.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 11
Today I wanted to do some lower body work but not too heavy or high impact. I did Kelly 30 Minutes to Fitness Body Shop lower body premix, 20 minutes, 99 calories. I also did Ice Chiseled Lower Body premix with no jacks, 40 minutes, 229 calories. Workout was 60 minutes, 328 calories. I got some house cleaning done and went to the grocery store for vegetables and fruit. I have a plan for Wednesday evening dinner with my daughter and her family for chicken in a sundried tomato cream sauce that will have some of the fresh basil they gave me sliced on top. I am scheduled for a lymph node biopsy on Thursday morning early. At least I don't have to not eat or have my coffee this time. I said I could go by myself, but my daughter says she is going to move her am surgery she has on schedule and block out time to take me. Thursday's are usually her later mornings. Her patients don't start till around 10. Hopefully it does not take too long.

Valerie, that is quite a lot of work. I would think that you would be sore after that. I hope that it works out for you. Yes, Harvey is the rabbit. He liked to sit there and wait for Mudd to wake up and enjoyed the case. Sometimes he would get tired of waiting and nudge Mudd. This went on for quite some time till Mudd came back with some fur in her mouth and we decided we did not want to take chances on Harvey being injured. I am sorry to hear that your friend has had something else come up. That is good that you are there as some support.

Carolyn, Young Living has really good essential oils. I have also been looking at the Oils that Dr Axe has on his website. I got most of mine from Melaleuca, but have recently cancelled my membership. I could reinstate without paying my early fee, but I just do not like feeling obligated to purchase 65 dollars worth of stuff every month. I like their stuff though. You want good quality oils. Some of the lower cost oils do not use the same distillation process and dilute with lower cost oils. I bought Aura Cacia frankincense once and it makes a yellow ring in my diffuser. It was more than half the cost I paid for the one from Melaleuca. That tells me it is not a pure oil and is probably carried with something else regardless of what the package says. I believe Doterra is supposed to be another good quality one but I have not tried it. My daughter uses Young Living all of the time and recently bought the whole starter set with a diffuser since the other quit and the diffusers she purchased at a local store did not work as well for diffusing.

Josie, we were married in Las Vegas and when we lived in California we went every anniversary. Even after we moved to Oklahoma we went for a few years. I went with my daughter when there was some medical seminars or something she went to once so she ha someone with her. I walked the convention center every day and when she was done we would go out and enjoy the sights. I am sure the flight is pretty short for you. Have fun:)
I love spicy foods. I can handle them most of the time. I suppose it depends on what I am combining it with. Leaving out dairy like cheese and sour cream helps. Throwing in a large green salad and topping whatever it is with some greens also helps. I guess it is keeping alkalinity in there with the acid.

Yes, we let Harvey run around the house. We did close off the back part of the house though and he was only let out when we were there to monitor. As stated above , he loved the chase for awhile. Even when we separated them I put up a child gate and let him wander the large kitchen dining area and the laundry utility room. He liked to sit on top of his crate or a box by the window where he would look out through the plantation shutters. We went through a lot of bitter yuck when training him not to gnaw on the furniture. I had bought a new dining set from a southwestern furniture store that was solid heavy wood. He kept trying to gnaw the chair legs. I finally ended up wrapping Duck tape around the legs and then spraying them. I would spray him with a bottle of water if I caught him. He finally got the idea. I had read and seen pictures of dogs that were raised with bunnies and there was not a problem. It just got worrying.

Lorie, Gigi is so cute. I like the one of Gigi and Nilla together :)

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Walk Fit Vol 1 on the treadmill. Not too strenuous, but good.

Diane Sue, thanks for the info on the greens. I will look at them. I saw your comment on the soy lecithin and would try to stay away from that as well. I see some of them have caffeine so I would have to really watch the ingredients. I hope you get some answers from the Thursday test. It sounds like you are improving each day. Did you start on any meds?

Valerie, those blocks sound like they are really tough to move..definitely counts as a workout! Did you not have luck with one of the inside antennas? I have one that gets all the basic channels, along with PBS. It would not work in the basement however, only on the TV in the upstairs room. Actually, the reflux is not totally gone, I have it during most days off and on, even with the meds and the strict diet. :(. I hate when a song turns into an "ear worm". I had one the other day, if I try to tell you what it was it will be back so I won't! :)

Carolyn, I have not used essential oils with a diffuser, but glad they are helping you.

Josie, have fun on your trip! Be careful on the spicy foods, cut way back now or it will get worse. I think I did that with too much coffee.

Lynda, have a good trip. I was going to try Shock Circuit yesterday too, but didn't because I had done weights Sunday. I may try it today. I would gladly take the weight back (plus 5 pounds more) if I could go back to feeling normal again. How are the dress fittings going? Is it almost completed?

Lori, great pics!...and you got Gigi to be still with Nilla right there to take the picture.

Not much going on here....the painter is still here. He hurt his back over the weekend, so he was only able to paint until noon yesterday, then he had to go home and lie down. I hope he is ok to work today.

Take care,

Deb, I was also going to say that some greens powders like Incredible Greens and Green Vibrance list the grams and millagrams on their labels. Amazing Grass just gives a list of ingredients. I have looked at Dr Axe but his is pretty expensive unless there is a discount code.
Thinking of foods, pizza is one thing that will always cause me trouble. I think it is a combo of the dairy and tomatoes. The family always gets sausage and pepperoni. I pick the pepperoni off because it makes it worse.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.