Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 8/28

fox2star

Cathlete
Good morning,

Agility class yesterday and we took the dogs to the trail and walked about a mile and a half. They really enjoyed it and so did we.

Lori, I bet you are correct, that sounds like that would set off some flags. Hope your return flight was uneventful.

Judy, I always :) at the name of that spinerval workout..."ouch"...LOL. I emailed the NG and asked if they were doing the breakfast Boot Camp over...had not had a reply yet. I really like avocado oil, it hardly has a taste.

Lynda, how was Jacob's Pillow ?

Diane Sue, that Sprouts sounds like such a good place, I wish we had one here. We have a health food store here ("Feel Good" Health Foods) that may carry the coconut aminos...also the co-op may too. I will check them out. What else do you us them for besides a replacement for soy? It's too bad the flowers didn;t make it to your dinner, that was such a nice gesture on Bill's part.

Carolyn, where do you live? I feel the same way about some barre workouts, but I really want to find some that I can do and like. The new DVD's with the Tower sound like a good start for someone that is not so good at barre.

Valerie, thanks for the info on the Indian food sources etc. I will check our local big box store next time we shop there. I will send you the NG recipe document in a minute.

Hi to Josie & Caitlin,

Our club is doing an obedience match today....practice for the trial that is in 2 weeks so we will be there this morning...

Take care,

Good morning ladies!

Always good to come home. Had a noce little trip with Nicholas. We both enjoy the pool yesterday. Was vert relaxing and nice way to finnish up. So this time I am TSA approved and I breezed right trhough with no issues whatsoever! I even went tomthe airport expecting a delay. When I printed my boarding pass I was shocked to see the TSA checkmark. So I went thru and Nicholas did the usual line. Figured it would be quicker incase I was pulled aside...nope nothing!

Going to try out Cathe's most recent Live for upper body today. Then a battle rope workout.

Carolyn...I absolutely love Suzanne Bowen and been doing her workouts for a I think a couple years now. I prefer her streaming workouts over her DVD's. You can try her steaming with no charge. Don't let Turbo Barre be the end all for Barre for you. I love Cathe but for Barre I click better with SB.

Caitlin...good to hear from you. Why the delay with the move? You must be going nuts with everying all packed up. Doing just weights is still great.

Deb...would love the Breakfast BC pdf. Thank you! Fit tower should be here tomorrow! I'll send the dvd's shortly after.

Judy...the name of the spinival sounds like it would hurt! Good for you and great calorie burn. If I do STS I am not doing Meso 1. I just did not enjoy it so Meso 2 and 3 it is. I may get a 30 pound body bar but have not decided. I prefer the body bar over a dumbbell. Perhaps because it is better balanced all over. Could just be in my mind though! Using the body bar and weight vest seem to work better for me.

Valerie...you would think I would have been flagged for a bit....nope. That is a little unnerving to me. Not that I want to be searched all the time. But knowing they are checking people would make me feel better.

Lynda...who you enjoyed one of your favorites at Jacob's Pillow!

Diane Sue...hilarious about missing your flight in Cancun!!!! Very funny! I have the Les Mills combat workouts but have never done any of them. I get all these workouts from my friends and family.

One of the ladies that I workout with at lunch is very much interested in the New Beachbody Country Heat. It is $60 on Amazon so I emailed her saying I would go half if she wanted too. So we will see. They are corney but looked fun to do with the ladies.

Have a great day all!

:) I got some Amazon gift cards yesterday and ordered Ice Rock em Sock em and the Metabolic workout so I could have the other blizzard blasts and muscle meltdowns. I also ordered Suzanne Bowen Amped Strength and Stretch. I will probably be working those into my workouts this next week after they arrive

Valerie, I have not had soy sauce or tamari in so long. I got both out and did a taste test with coconut aminos. It seems tamari has the most flavor. It may be the brand. Coconut aminos is milder and there is a slight sweet undertone along with the saltiness. It has less sodium than the other two. I try to keep sodium down so that is a good thing. The Paleo diets all tend to use coconut aminos in their recipes. I avoid soy so that is why I make my own dressings and mayonnaise.

Deb, I really love Sprouts Farmers Market. They have such a good selection of fresh fruits and veggies. Things like rainbow carrots, fresh turmeric, different colored potatoes and beets. Some things are seasonal of course, like fresh rhubarb. There is a nice selection of organic stuff. Sometimes I have to go somewhere else to get the odd canned goods or sugar free jello etc..

Lynda, I am going back today and copy and paste that pork tenderloin recipe. I have seen prosciutto at Sprouts. I can never seem to find it anywhere else. What kind of seasonings and chutney do you generally use?

Carolyn, I am always on the fence on barre work. I have not used Turbo Barre myself very often. It feels way too long for me. But, some of the bonus ones on other workouts like Lean Legs and Abs I do not mind. Although I do hold a dumbbell on my thigh for most of that standing work.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did ICE Metabolic because the streaming wasn't working very well on the upper body shred and ball. Probably my iPad acting up again.

Pacific Northwest Ballet lived up to expectations. Really great performance, especially a final piece meant to evoke Georgia O'Keefe's paintings. The costumes were absolutely breathtaking and the background looked very Southwestern. We also had a beautiful day--warm and sunny, but not humid. Sad to have the summer over in terms of all the venues--theater, Tanglewood, and Jacob's Pillow. The students will be coming back this week, so the town will fill up again. I am off to Minnesota to see an old friend (the vet) on Wednesday for a few days. She's a real State Fair nut, so I guess I will get to see some farm animals (like I don't see them every day). I can also take a look at the John Deere tractors (like I don't see them every day). Actually, we always have fun, so I expect to have a great time.

Diane Sue, the pork tenderloin recipe is at Epicurious.com. It's "Pork Tenderloin and Plum Chutney." The seasonings are rosemary and herbes de provence. The chutney is quick and easy to make. Also, I would recommend prosciutto di Parma rather than a less expensive version. I guess, if I couldn't find prosciutto or get your deli person to slice it nice and thin I would use thinly sliced bacon.

Lori, that sounds rather harrowing on the trip down. Glad everything was fine on the way back. My younger son is named Nicholas as well.

Deb, I hope these new shorter barre workouts are better for you. You will have to grade them for us.

Carolyn, yes, where are you located? I have never done a Cathe posted monthly rotation either. I tend to be pretty unsystematic about my workouts. I did manage to get through an XTrain 3 month rotation when that series came out, and I did STS twice--the long version (6 mos.) and the 3 month version. I sold it after that.

Judy, good luck on house hunting!

Hi to Valerie, Josie, and Caitlin!

Deb thank you for the NG info. wow. I would need to do some serious shopping for ingredients....
I don't eat junk for breakfast, or get hungry before lunch... unless we are doing a ride or a hike. ( not one of the people who can chug a red bull for breakfast)! then I plan a snack, usually a Kind bar, or ww toast with peanut butter. I always have a skim milk latte. actually 2 of them, except that DH slurps up a decent percent of the first one. I've been spacing out the second one so I can reheat it for lunch. I could add some nuts to my oats but I'm wary of adding extra calories. I am not someone who'll lose weight by eating more, even if they are nutritionally "good " calories. some very interesting combinations in there! Carolyn which ones worked for you, if you don't mind my asking?

Avocado oil was mild flavored and would be a good sub for canola or other bland oil. I bought it for the high smoke point and enjoyed using it. doesn't have a distinct flavor like olive oil. I

Lori glad you got thru security OK this time. we can't be sure, but ever since I had my red bell peppers confiscated, we were scrutinized my closely at the Canadian border, one time with a total vehicle and person items search. we are careful about what we take into Canada. they have rules about fruits, vegies, and alcohol. best to check before if you're in a camper and have food loaded for a trip. corn on the cob, apples, any fruit with a pit, are not Ok last I looked.

I did parts of turbo barre once or twice. didn't like it and found it very hard and unrewarding. I felt awkward and clumsy. so not a positive experience.

Diane sue, I don't try to avoid soy. I like tofu and tempeh, use tamari rather than Kikkoman. some hoisin, and oyster sauce. I use it judiciously mainly because of salt level. I remember seeing coconut aminos on the shelf recently and remembered you mentioning it. DH is the one who tends to over salt things! he made the oatmeal the other morning and I couldn't eat it, while he thought it was fine. I switched to kosher salt because the bigger crystals make for less measureable sodium chloride in the dish, and I didn't even notice a taste change. .

I live in Georgia, metro Atlanta area. Obviously there are numerous restaurants and food stores, but I don't want to drive 25-30 miles for Sprouts or Whole Foods. Fortunately more locations are opening in the suburbs. I think I will give barre another chance. I might try the Suzanne Bowen free streaming. Labnick, how is the streaming different from the DVDs?
Trail doggie, I felt the same way about adding extra fats to my day--didn't think it would work for me. To my surprise I lost 1.4 pounds the first week and 1.6 pounds last week. Weight loss for me is usually.2 or .4 so I was quite surprised. I ate the upgraded oatmeal, buttery quinoa, chicken Apple sausage, chia pudding (not my favorite), quiche, and scrambled eggs. I like to spread 1/4 avocado on whole grain toast. I tracked all meals on WW. I used 2 TBSP of hemp seeds instead of 3 in the oatmeal. I also used coconut oil more than I normally do following the recipes. I mostly use olive oil in my cooking.

Hello to everyone.

Lori,

tried to send you the NG stuff....the email was returned...I used a yahoo one that I had....have you changed it?

Carolyn thanks for the details. you can call me Valerie if you want. Traildoggie is fine too. Eating Well magazine ( I'm a subscriber) talks about avocado toast often. I also am at least that far from a Whole Foods, TJ's etc. there is a Central Market but it's 25 miles of rough traffic each direction so forget that. no Sprouts around here. I think most ingredients can be found at a regular grocery here. hemp seeds not sure about but I never looked. Do you think more fat in breakfast made you eat less the rest of the day?

Valerie I am less hungry the remainder of the day. I find that I don't want a mid morning snack. I watched a PBS show a couple of weeks ago with Dr. Mark Hyman that talked about adding more healthy fats. His newest book is Eat Fat Get Thin. It seems contrary to what I thought about healthy eating.

Valerie, I use fish sauce in some recipes. I was really surprised when I first tried it in a recipe that called for it. I expected something with a strong fish flavor and it is not. I used to be afraid of eating fat. When I started Paleo I was afraid of the additional fat, but once I started following a plan with Whole 30 I found I was full each meal and even though some of the sauces had more fat it was not a problem. I was too full to have the usual snack cravings through the day. My body fat dropped much more easily than when I worked at staying away from fat. Still, a person can overdue anything. I think eating needs is individual. I am just starting an elimination low histamine plan. I was reading about histamine intolerance and thought I would give it a try because my allergies seem to be non stop. I think this summer I may have had 3 weeks without feeling awful. I will need to cut back on the proteins and be careful of sources. Today I started with lots of vegetables, and salmon. I had some fruit. The only thing I should probably have not ate was the small sausage patty and egg at my daughters. Eggs are okay but that sausage is one of those tons of fat fundraiser sausage packages. I gave it to my daughter to use for family brunch because I kept avoiding cooking it. I am cutting out caffeine :( I had decaf coffee this morning. Normally I only have caffeine when I get up and sometimes I make the coffee half caffeine and half decaf.

Carolyn, before I moved back to Oklahoma City I did not have as many healthy choices for shopping. The local grocery store had a small healthier product corner and there was a nutrition store that had one refrigerator and a chest freezer that I could get some bison from. I would come to Oklahoma City to visit my children and grandchildren and pick up a lot of grocery items to take back with me. That was a 100 mile 1 way trip. Otherwise I mail ordered for some stuff. We bought a side of beef from a friend which was helpful. I think now if I was to move away again I would check out some place like Thrive Market for mail order. The larger Walmart stores carry more good stuff than they used to but I do not like their meats and a lot of the time their fruits and vegetables do not keep well.

Good morning,

The match went well for Kylee and me/ If she did what she did yesterday at the upcoming trial, we would qualify. Keegan pulled his usual "stuff"...he didn't want to do the exercises. Not sure what is going on with him.

Lori, welcome back. I sent the NG stuff to the second address you gave below. Hope this one worked. I love getting the little check mark on my boarding pass! That new Beachbody is Amber correct? I think I saw a clip sometime ago and sort of giggled...but maybe it is a good workout.

Diane Sue, nice gifts! Everyone knows that you can find something you want on Amazon. I tell that to John all the time, if he has no ideas for me for a gift, there's my nail place, my facial place, Cathe Live, and Amazon! :). The co-op that we go to farther into the city is supposed to be opening right around the corner from us...but they are running into remodeling issues with the building they leased...:(. I was really looking forward to them opening there. Kind of like how you described Sprouts, only not commercial..this is a co-op of people that all own part of the store. Not sure I have heard anything on a low histamine diet...what are the "culprits" you have to avoid? I don't think I could give up my coffee....we use half decafe, have regular beans in our morning pot. But I drink a ton of it. does Gertie play fetch or tug with toys? she is the only dog you have right now correct?

Lynda, that's great that the last performance of Jacob's Pillow was so good. have you tried doing a "hard reset" on your iPad? it doesn't do any harm, does not delete anything or go back to the factory settings, nothing like that...just clears all the "junk" and gets it working better.

Valerie, I really think there is some validity to adding fats to your diet...the good fats of course. Nuts, avocado, good oils. They keep you satisfied longer. Yes, not good to bring fresh fruits or vegs across the Canadian border, in either direction.

Carolyn, that's great that you lost that weight! I am not a fan of chia seeds, but I think I will try them again. They seem to be needed in a lot of the NG recipes, as a thickener. Like for the overnight oats....I asked them if there was a substitute, they said use flax seed meal, but it didn't work. I took that Mark Hyman book out of the library...it made a lot of sense.

Hi to Judy, Josie, & Caitlin.

A workout, and then I am going to try a drop-in at another training facility with Kylee this morning....one of my trainer friends said she needs to be exposed to other places....to try to work on how much she gets distracted when she is somewhere other than our training hall....

Take care,

Last edited:
Deb, I did a low histamine diet with Whole 30 for awhile but did not realize what in small print in the corner of the page there was coffee and tea :0 The one for histamine intolerance is a stricter diet because it eliminate some foods that have an enzyme reaction that is some conditions fails and causes the histamine levels to get way too high. You do the elimination for 30-90 days and then start adding back foods gradually to find what works. Some gi disorders block the enzyme from doing it's job. There is a whole lot more to it but I will spare all of the details. The suggestion is a fairly short list: It says to eat low protein so I would imagine portions should be small.
fresh fish
meats and poultry, but only fresh cooked
eggs (sometimes the whites can stimulate histamine release in some people)
gluten free rice and quinoa
fresh fruits -apples, cantaloupe, grapes, kiwi, mango, pear, watermelon (this one eliminates the berries and citrus that I sometimes eat)
fresh vegetables excluding avocado, eggplant, spinach and tomatoes (I knew all of these but now avocado is out)
Pure peanut butter (nothing else added to it)
dairy substitutes -almond, coconut, hemp, and rice milks
leafy herbs
herbal teas
Gertie, loves to play fetch. She has her ball inside and one outside. We have a long walkway and I toss the ball and she brings it back. Now that she is feeling better she grabs the ball as soon as we go outside together. My husband is the one that generally plays tug of war with her. He has taught her to leg go on command. He says she should not be allowed to win. She loves playing with that too. We have a laser pointer that we play with in the house. She runs up and down the stairs after it. It helps give her some exercises when the weather is bad. She was well worn out during the family birthday. My son and my grandson both had out laser pointers and she was all over the place. That and the reflections of everyone's cell phones on the ceiling which she follows. Hopefullly dropping off at another facility will help with Kylee.

Good Morning,
Today's workout was X Train Cardio Leg Blast. I was tempted to do a short version but I completed the entire workout. Glad that I did.

Diane Sue, I do a lot of reading about food and nutrition and will experiment with some of the recipes or food options. A few years ago I started ordering wild Alaskan salmon from Vital Choice. It is some of the best salmon that I've had. I always have it in my freezer.

Deb, I am finding chia seeds to be an acquired taste! I will sprinkle a tsp on oatmeal or salads.

One of the problems with living in a large metropolitan area is the traffic. Before I retired my commute was 70 miles round trip often with bad traffic. I don't miss that stress at all.

Hello to everyone.

I did X Train bis & tris, and core 1 yesterday.
today will ride when morning fog burns off.

Carolyn, that would be a heck of a commute. I've heard stores about Atlanta traffic. Seattle traffic probably is at least as bad. Wasn't when I first moved here, but has gotten incredibly bad with no end in sight. traffic rules over everything you want to do.

I seem to recall chia seeds getting sort of "gel like" when they come in contact with liquid. is that correct? it's been a long time. I'm pretty fussy about food textures and mouth feel, so not likely to be a good thing for me.

By the time I rule out what DH won't eat, and what I don't like, the potential list gets considerably narrowed. I am not making 2 different meals 3x a day. I like salmon a lot but he hates it and pitches a fit when I eat it because of the smell. I love avocados and tomatoes. would not give up ever! sort of like coffee.... I love the flavor and aroma, limit to 2 cups a day but not giving it up. I try to make things we both will eat, and I eat half as much as he does except for vegetables.

Deb, thanks, the recipes downloaded and will look closer when I make my shopping list for the week. maybe there are a few things I can try. I know I need to figure a way to log my meals but I just hate the process.

This week I am going to work mainly with the Ice workouts since I have two more coming later this week. I will do some other stuff as well. Today I did Ice Boot camp Circuit premix 6, main workout, blizzard blast, muscle meltdown biceps, and core #1, 83 minutes, 456 calories(calorie calculator using my hr average) I think fit bit mostly works for straight cardio workouts. It gave me some crazy calorie burn of 335. Map My Fitness linked t the Fit Bit gave me 551. I am always a bit ad of using the highest calorie burn. My max hr was 152. I then did Icy Core #2, 14 minutes, 52 calories which worked both with map my fitness and the calorie burn calculator. Fit bit gave me 29 calories which I am sure is incorrect. Total time was 97 minutes, and calories burned 508. Then again I look at workout manager and that mix is over 70 calories.
Biceps giant sets 12 reps each exercise 5 exercises 3 rounds
standing biceps curls 20,20,20 each hand
standing hammer curls 20, 20, 20 each hand
preacher curl on ball 15, 15, 15 each hand
incline curl on ball 15, 15, 15 each hand
concentration curl 17.5, 17.5, 17.5
I also added some weight to some of the core moves like I have done in other workouts. I used 8 and 10# dumbbells. Also 5# with the band work.

Carolyn, I used to get much better quality fish when I ordered from Schwan's and had it delivered. My husband asked why I do not do that now? I guess it is mostly the need to be home for my delivery and having to time workouts or whatever I am doing around them coming to the door. I do not enjoy feeling obligated to buy stuff so I just have not done it. There is a fish market not too far away but traffic is bad in that area and it is another stop. I will not buy it from Walmart at all. My allergies are so bad right now and when I talked to my daughter about it , she said if changing eating helped it would worth it.

Valerie, my husband used to complain about the smell of what I was cooking for me. He does not like the smell of coffee, onions, curry, and the list gets longer. After 43 years of marriage he quit saying anything. I sneak some flavors into some of his food. Things like when I make a roast. I throw onions and veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker or roaster in large pieces. I just don't put them on his plate. I love my coffee and right now I have my Paleo Taco soup frozen in bowls that has fresh tomatoes and salsa in it. I sti have an avocado. I eat them all of the time. It will be difficult to give it up. I eat a lot of raspberries as well and just finished off some whole milk organic kefir. I feel a bit lost when I look in the refrigerator.

Hi everyone--

This morning I did live Cardio Core Circuit (46 min.).

Deb, I will have to look up what a hard reset is for my iPad. That sounds like a great idea for Kylee.

Carolyn, I did some research at Emory U. a few years ago, but because I was virtually staying on campus, I didn't have to deal with the traffic except for back and forth to the airport. I think any big city has its traffic issues, but the worst for me will always be Boston--very aggressive drivers and a very old city with lots of little one way streets.

Diane Sue, I'm so sorry for your allergy problems. I would hate to be miserable (almost) all the time. It will definitely be worth it if that diet alleviates your symptoms. At least you are able to work out with discipline.

Valerie, I too have heard that a lot of the thinking about fat being so bad for you is changing. I know that there is yet another fad diet where the mantra is "you have to eat fat to lose fat." I just think I should be able to eat anything in moderation and as I age, smaller portions. I do have a couple fast days where I don't eat anything from dinner the night before until dinner the next day except for juice and coffee in the morning.

ttfn

Ride done 2 hrs 15 min. 25 miles. Now I am pooped. we push the speed most of the way, often getting to 22 mph but there are lots of streets and driveways to cross so there is a lot of slow down/ speed up/ slow down going on. our time would be much less if it weren't for intersections but there is enough traffic where you can't assume it will be clear.

Lynda, yes the pendulum has swung away from low fat. I'm not real happy because of all foods groups , I dislike fatty stuff. My grandmother lived with us when we were kids. she loved fat and used to pour cream and butter on everything. she would eat all the fatty parts of roasts and leave the lean stuff! I got to dislike it... I didn't WANT whipping cream on my corn flakes! I thought butter with peanut butter on a sandwich was beyond gross. too liberal was just greasy and unpleasant. Whatever..... I like nuts & seeds , but I will never pour butter into my coffee, as I hear people are doing these days.

Do you work out on the fast days? I would not be able to do that.

Lynda, I printed up the recipe for the pork tenderloin with plum chutney and went to Sprouts to get the ingredients today. I thought that I would make it Wednesday night when my daughter and her family come for dinner. Do you cook it on an outdoor grill or do you grill it indoors? I only have an electric grill for indoors. They had pancetta and prosciutto. I got the later as it looked like it was thinner sliced. I had most of the ingredients but not herbes de provence . I did not see it in Sprouts. I am going to have to look somewhere else. I bet the chutney is really good with it. My son makes a ham recipe that he uses a brown sugar and crushed gingersnap glaze on. It has some mustard in it. It is so good.

Valerie, I tried the butter coffee and I tried coconut oil in my coffee and I was put off by the oil floating on the top of my coffee. The funny thing is I ate peanut butter and butter sandwiches when I was a child. I never cared for jelly though. Eating the meat fat sounds gross. I went thorough a phase when I ate very low fat of eating raisin bran and all bran with fat free cool whip and skim milk in it. I am sure health wise it was not the best thing. My grandfather that had a heart attack chasing a bull in his pasture at 65 years old ate cream on every thing. He poured it in his coffee. This was thick fresh cream. I am sure the things he ate had a lot to do with his health. Most of these health experts may say to have some grass fed cream or coconut oil etc. , but they also say small quantities. Not all day long and all of the time. People need to have some common sense.

Good evening ladies!

Today was a rest day. Yesterday I started off with the newest Live Shredded Upper Body with Ball. I did the first 20 or so minutes and felt like doing some legs so I switched to SB Advanced Lower Body Barre Fire. I then switched back to the Live Shredded for the Core work. Great workout. I really feel my abs today from the core work using the ball.

Deb..Fit Tower arrived! My husband rolled his eyes when I came home. I'll watch DVD's and will send the off to you soon. I hear they are perfect for someone just starting out with Barre. Hope you enjoy them. Yes Country Heat is Autumn from 21day fix. The workouts look silly but fun. The ladies will love these. Thanks for the recipes!

Carolyn...I love Cardio Leg Blast. Thanks for reminding me about this workout. Been a while since I have done this. Great job going to the end!

Valerie...my husband eats anything I put in front of him. Thank goodness! I need to pull out the Xtrain Workouts. I I was in the best shape ever after completing the 90 day rotation.

Lynda...I do a hard reset every now and then when things are acting weird on my ipad or iphone. Usually takes care of things. I could never go without coffee.

Diane Sue...I'll have to say I love reading about your nutrition. I have felt I have learned so much from your posts! I do not like preacher curls and they are in the most recent live workout. I usually just do bicep curls. I love using the ball for upper body so do not know why I do not care for them.

Have a great night all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.