DOMS after doing upper body Ripped with HiiT/good stretching to counteract it?

kathydaffy

Cathlete
Hi everyone!

I love both of Cathe's upper body Ripped with HiiT videos and do them pretty regularly (OK, slacked off during a vacation but that was only a week!). I've never has this issue before but I am so sore it's incredible despite lifting the same and slightly higher for the back section. I confess that I don't think the stretching for those two DVDs are long enough considering how hard you work - I add in my own but this time it didn't do squat.

Anyways, does anyone have the same problem and if so what do you do to counteract it? Any replies would be appreciated! :)

I can relate, kathydaffy! Sometimes, for no apparent reason, I am a little more stiff than other times, particularly in the lower back and forearms. Perhaps those slightly higher weight loads for the back after a week off are talking to you! Here's what I've been trying:
*watch my posture and alignment through the day, especially when sitting
*increase my rest time to get almost 8 hrs. of great recovery time per night (and also check out how I'm sleeping -e.g. changed up my pillow)
*increase my water intake (for me, I do better with 3 liters/day)
*insert little stretches through the day and just before bed
*get a session of yin yoga in when I really feel tight - here you hold each stretch for a really long time and the muscle finally relaxes
I just use Travis Elliot's free on-line class - Here's the link:
*try out a few new stretches/poses that get into the target muscles (for me the Plow is good for a change for the lower back)
*take a day or two off from upper body work and just focus on yoga/stretching and perhaps walking or other light cardio
*review my workout rotation and ensure that I'm working each muscle group no more that 2 times per week and that those 2 workouts are spaced out in the week (e.g. one time I noticed I was doing Hardstrikes in its entirety on my cardio day, and the upper body conditioning at the end caused me to be overdoing it)

I guess we have to respect the ol' body and what it gives us each day.

Thank you so much for those great ideas, Jane! Your suggestion regarding posture and inserting stretches throughout the day are perfect since I hardly ever pay attention to posture and don't stretch as often as I should. Weird how some days the soreness is bad and some days it isn't, huh? I'll definitely check out the yoga video and plan on trying Cathe's Yoga Max today or this weekend (just got it in the mail)... the DOMS really opened my eyes to the need for more yoga/stretching. I appreciate your reply and tips! :)

Yeah, I ALWAYS do a lot more dynamic stretching in between sets etc. than any video shows. I just need that. Just an fyi, taking malic acid before bed can also really hep with DOMS or general aching.
Thanks for posting Jane. :) Yin Yoga is incredible. It really "wrings me out". lol.

This guy has some really useful mobility routines https://www.youtube.com/user/Schwag31/videos

Thanks so much Elsie for this link! Excellent instruction, love the half hour time frame and really like that he targets specific areas with each video.
And thanks for the malic acid tip - I had never heard of it. Great to keep in mind!
I agree about the extra stretching - mobility work is SO under-rated. I love what it does physically and mentally.
You always have such interesting, helpful posts, Elsie!

Kathydaffy, I hope you enjoy Yoga Max! There are some shorter premixes with it which I find just perfect for those days when I want to chill for about half an hour. I also like the 20 min. yoga based stretch that is on the STS DVDs. Enjoy all those down dogs!

Thank you all! I wish I had tried Yoga Max or the videos you guys posted but it was too blasted hot out today (93 degrees in my workout area) and I'm doing a "birthday weekend celebration." That's the only thing you CAN do when you turn 46 LOL! But I will definitely try both soon and thank you again! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.