Categorization of Cathe Lifting-Weights DVDs

~Elsie

Cathlete
Hello Cathe,
I would like to know if it is posted anywhere which of your Strength workouts are high reps, high endurance, medium endurance, strength, strength+mass etc.?
I feel I understand a few from the titles. I am thinking Slow & Heavy (which is a fave of mine, thank you for that gem), 4 Day Split heavy weights, High Reps, and of course the three levels of STS. What would Muscle Max be categorized as? or Supersets (another one I really, really enjoy)? or Pure Strength?
What will ICE be like?
I realize that there is some fluidity that happens with these boxes/categories.

Thanks kindly.

(if this has been discussed already and I overlooked it, would someone point it out to me? :))

:)
Thanks Nathalie.
What are you thinking the lifting in ICE will be?
Getting very, very excited about ICE. The premixes look well worth the cost of the set. So many options. :)

Thanks Nathalie.
Getting very, very excited about ICE. The premixes look well worth the cost of the set. So many options. :)

IMO Weight meltdown will be High rep with less volume --- High rep minimal sets --- I will let you know later if this correct or not. Total w/o will be a metabolic.
At this point this is just a speculation. I think this series would easily be customised through blenders.

Elsie, Is this your first cathe pre-order?

Last edited:
Yep, it's my first pre-order. :)
In terms of lifting, I am an intermediate intermediate (I say this as opposed to an advanced intermediate). In overall fitness etc., I feel I am almost advanced. I deal with some minor physical ailments, so I may never get to the levels of you ladies on here. I look on in awe always.

Yep, it's my first pre-order. :)
In terms of lifting, I am an intermediate intermediate (I say this as opposed to an advanced intermediate). In overall fitness etc., I feel I am almost advanced. I deal with some minor physical ailments, so I may never get to the levels of you ladies on here. I look on in awe always.

You will be fine--- as long as you are enjoying it, you put mind and heart to it:)
For many of us, pre-ordering cathe is a routine Lol.:)

I think you will be happy with your pre-order:)

Hello Cathe,
I would like to know if it is posted anywhere which of your Strength workouts are high reps, high endurance, medium endurance, strength, strength+mass etc.?
I feel I understand a few from the titles. I am thinking Slow & Heavy (which is a fave of mine, thank you for that gem), 4 Day Split heavy weights, High Reps, and of course the three levels of STS. What would Muscle Max be categorized as? or Supersets (another one I really, really enjoy)? or Pure Strength?
What will ICE be like?
I realize that there is some fluidity that happens with these boxes/categories.

Thanks kindly.

(if this has been discussed already and I overlooked it, would someone point it out to me? :))
I'd say supersets is more metabolic,

STS runs from endurance to hypertrophy to (theoretically) strength.. I'd say Mesocycle 3 is also a continuation of hypertrophy, given the volume/intensity. ...
Many of Cathe's workouts fall in the endurance range, since the type of equipment involved precludes heavy weight training (for advanced trainees, at least)

the endurance range, since the type of equipment involved precludes heavy weight training (for advanced trainees, at least)
Yet, one more reason I want a squat/half rack as soon as I get my moving settled. (I'm moving in the NY). Do you think that specifically gym equipment is a requirement for solid strength gains? How do you work out with weights?

Hi Elsie, I want to add to my post above by saying that it's not just the equipment involved that limits the intensity of weight involved in training with Cathe's programs (with the exception of STS meso 2/3), it is also the timing/count of the reps.
I think a squat rack will be a huge help to progressing with lifts, yes! But I do think that it's hard to match a fully-equipped gym for strength-related equipment, esp the cables and heavy weights (I can't afford to fully equip my house, and anyway I like going to the gym)

Yet, one more reason I want a squat/half rack as soon as I get my moving settled. (I'm moving in the NY). Do you think that specifically gym equipment is a requirement for solid strength gains? How do you work out with weights?

If you love strength training with equipment then you need some. If you are happy to use band, tubing etc... then you do not
need heavy duty stuff. Some people just need and want gym at home. I am one of them:eek:

I think if you have the room, and really want to get serious with the weights, a home gym is well worth the investment. My DH and I have both been into weights for several years. So, over the years we have put together a gym, that's better than any gym. Simply because it's ours, we take care of the equipment. You rarely find that in a gym. I am not always wiping off strange sweat, and made to feel uncomfortable with the guy across the room watching me do hip thrusts.

Karen, I've seen your bodybuilding photo & you can't really blame someone for not being to look away at your hip thrusts! lol. ;)

(I TOTALLY get what you are saying, btw) :) I have some social anxiety, so gyms aren't for me. I can get myself to a pilates class every now and again.

You're funny, Elsie.

Thanks Nathalie.

IMO Weight meltdown will be High rep with less volume --- High rep minimal sets --- I will let you know later if this correct or not. Total w/o will be a metabolic.
At this point this is just a speculation. I think this series would easily be customised through blenders.

Hello Elsie,

I am retrieving this thread to follow up your question. ICE IMO is the beginning of high rep with less volume.
It was designed for one muscle group per day split.

Hello Elsie,

I am retrieving this thread to follow up your question. ICE IMO is the beginning of high rep with less volume.
It was designed for one muscle group per day split.

Are you referring to the individual workouts that use weights or the Muscle Meltdowns? The 12 reps in the Muscle Meltdowns of ICE is considered high rep?

Are you referring to the individual workouts that use weights or the Muscle Meltdowns? The 12 reps in the Muscle Meltdowns of ICE is considered high rep?

Yes I am referring to Muscle Meltdowns. High rep compared to hypertrophy and pure strength start from 12.
That said it can be considered as hypertrophy depending on the rep max lifted. 75% rep max is hypertrophy.
So 65% rep max is endurance:):)

Last edited:
I agree with Nathalie that the Muscle Meltdowns seem to be endurance based...at least for me. The rest periods are SO SHORT that I feel like I have just done 180 consecutive reps for that body part! (12 reps of 5 different exercises times 3 rounds =180). Wowsers! With the short rest periods I don't use my heaviest weights and so am not building a lot of strength.

I agree with Nathalie that the Muscle Meltdowns seem to be endurance based...at least for me. The rest periods are SO SHORT that I feel like I have just done 180 consecutive reps for that body part! (12 reps of 5 different exercises times 3 rounds =180). Wowsers! With the short rest periods I don't use my heaviest weights and so am not building a lot of strength.

I never thought about it that way. It is a lot of reps when you put it like that. Even doing 36 of each exercise is a lot of reps. Sure wouldn't try doing all 36 of each exercise without stopping either. That being said I love the MMs and commend Cathe for knowing what we need more than we do. Initially I was sort of peeved that she didn't have MM premixes, but after doing them as one body part a day now I see the light.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.