Lifting like girls

Tom, I feel for you. Like Justine stated. Hope is was just one of those days. Good work Justine, facing the wrong way, no big deal. You got it done. Love that Live workout, Lisa. Think I will give it another go this weekend. Lib, mesocycle two is my favorite. Have fun with it.
Yes, Justine. The fact that great skiing is just 30 minutes away, and I'm not there, is making me a little crazy!
Haven't worked out today. In fact, I'm still in my bathrobe. Some days are better than others. My non work days are a bathrobe, and no makeup. Yes! Today, will be workout B. Fill you in on all the great details, when I getter done!

Disc 13 done, chest, shoulders and tri's. I am so proud!! I lifted more than I ever have! In a coupl of the moves I was at 95% of my 1 rpm. I have always relied on my 5's and 8's back moves I would use 15's. Biceps usually 10's....today I was doing chest flys with 15's! All my chest work was 15's, I did overhead press with 15's! I have NEVER lifted that much in an oh press! I was using 10's on the side lateral raises! Me! And 10's on all triceps. I felt I could have gone a couple of lbs heavier on triceps, so going to add in my wrist weights next time!

I am going to be sore tomorrow! But I'm on cloud 9 right now!

Ok,I'm returning to report. Kettlebell Burn Workout B. Clean and press 15 minutes 16kg, ladders 1-3 reps. Got in 5 ladders. Get up sit up16kg with Lunges 20kg 15 minutes, six sets. KB swings, 10 minutes 30 seconds on, 30 seconds off. I'm getting in the swing of this. Working on strict form, and it is as hard as I remember. Tried going up in weight. No such luck today. Maybe next time.
Justine, what program are you working? Sounds like a killer!! Nice work, girl!
Nice job on your weight, Lib!! Keep up the good work!
Tom, always good, hope you're son can help. I know how that feels.
Have a great weekend everyone.

Last edited:
Tom, oh no! What everybody else said--I hope it was a fatigue thing, but guessing by the fact that you're looking for answers from your ortho doctor son, it's probably that bloody elbow. :( Take care, brother!

Justine, I feel like your Momma Bear when it comes to step, I don't know why but I just always feel so proud of you when you give it a go! Since you didn't mention any horror stories I'm assuming it went well!!!

Lib, fantastic news! It says quite a lot about your strength and progress when you were able to hit personal bests even after the worst night of sleep ever! Yay for you!!! Meso 2 is great, especially the legs! (Sorry, Roz...they make Roz want to puke.) :)

Karen, did you do the KBs in the robe? No makeup needed for us Commandos. We come naturally beautiful. :) Your workout looked tough! Nice job!

I did KCM Step Boxing today with my gloves. Tomorrow will be total body. I will probably choose a Live. Karen, hope you get to fit in UB w/Core Live. It just never gets old to me.

Hi Roz! Hope you're cold is long gone.

TGIF!

Interesting side note to yesterday's workout. For bis I was only able to do very short Rom flexing, 100 degrees to 160 degrees. I did multiple sets of 20 to 25 of these because they didn't seem to be painful, and I have DOMS!!! Yay!!! It seems to be an effective bi alternative w/o for tendonitis sufferers ( if you don't mind feeling stupid doing it...and I dont!!!) Just random babbling of a frustrated Commando!! Have a great, safe, weekend everyone!!

Lisa, I felt you watching over me whilst I stepped! I was trying hard not to let you down. Today I have calf doms!

Tom- ain't nothing wrong with something that works.

Karen, you must be getting super lean with all those swings. I'm still doing high tensile strength- it's a 6 month programme, and I'm not even half way yet

Lib, been for that coffe yet?

Roz, hope all's well

65 mins of HTS today. Squats and some oh pressing, with BB curls and a few other bits. Kept my squats at a rather pathetic 57kg, but got 2" deeper than last week. 4x12- not my favourite rep range.

Off to a friend's to watch the 6 nations rugby. England / Scotland (grudge) match, so should get emotions flowing!

The doms are in full force! It's interesting to have it in chest, shoulders, and triceps at the same time and intensity.

So happy for your doms, Tom!

Karen, I never could get into kbs. Of course I had very young kids, and a small place....the first time it left my hand mid-air, I stopped ;) hats off to you. What do you like ab T them the best?

Lisa, don't tell me that about legs! Lol. I am shaking about them already! I keep telling myself if I had these awesome results in my legs in just the first 4 weeks, the next 4 are going to really make changes!

Yes, Justine, coffee in and running :)

Thinking I to try one of the Cize workouts today. Don't want to risk making my knee sore again before legs though. So definitely going to get in some ab work, stretching, and if it warms up enough, maybe another long walk with the kiddo.

I did find out I have access to the pool on campus (wish they would have informed me about this two years ago) so looking at trying to start swimming the 3 days I am on campus.

For the truck. It is definitely the fuel pump. They said $730-$750 to fix it. I kindly informed them for another $600 I could have a rebuilt engine.......Eric informed me, smiling, "True, but it still wouldn't start." Well, yes there is that small fact. He's trying to get it approved to put half to all of the cost on the end of the car loan. The problem is the ignition still has to be replaces, and that is near $300. Ugh! Thankfully winter is nearing the end (or so I hope) and my winter riding suit should be here Tuesday or Wednesday. So I can start riding more to school. (They did give me a loaner for a bit).

Tom, never feel stupid about your workout. Who woulda thunk all that flexing would give you such major DOMS? So cool!

Justine, may God Save the Queen and her Royal Highness's Rugby team. :) Is this the UK Super Bowl equivalent? My DH is very invested in tomorrow's US Super Bowl because he is a huge Peyton Manning fan, one of the quarterbacks playing in the game. Another tough workout, great news on the ROM! I love the 12 rep range, go figure. Glad I could be there in spirit to support your stepping, and yay for those calf DOMS. That's a hard area to work, although calf DOMS can be rather painful.

Lib, sorry to hear about the pricey auto repair bill. :( Cars can be such a hassle. The groundhog predicted an early spring. Hope he's right so you can ride your bike. Swimming is such a tough full body workout, should be great for your cardio and also help your knee be pain-free. Good work on those DOMS! I think the coffee Justine was referring to was the tow truck driver coffee date. Did that happen yet? Is it gonna happen yet? Our Commando check-in needs a good love story! :)

Hi to Karen and Roz!!!

I did Muscle Max today. It is my favorite Cathe TB DVD and probably my most used Cathe DVD overall (PUB is a close second). The leg work is short in this DVD but there are endless low-end pulses and those kill me, even after years of doing this workout.

Duh, sorry! No but we did talk some yesterday. He texted to see about the truck.
No love story, or with me involved.

Stress level is up. So decided to do Cize again, did You've got this. I had a blast! I was having so much fun, I did the Cize it up three extra times! There's a chance I may have found my cardio! Also did Cathe's core max workout one.

Lisa, I LOVE Muscle Max! I also love butts and guts. What is PUB?

Oh, lib, I was looking forward to some gossip;)

Glad you're liking cize so much.

Lisa - HRHs team won their first match (ie England beat Scotland to win the Calcutta cup, which is a trophy made of Indian rupees - go figure!). The 6 nations goes on for weeks, and most of the U.K. will be glued to their screens swigging lager. So yes, just like the super bowl. That starts today, doesn't it?

Well done on muscle max.

Tom, any diagnosis yet?

Deadlifts for me today - 20 singles, mainly 87kg, but some at 92 and some at 97kg. Went up smoothly, so I'm pleased. Hip thrusts as well, then lots of mobility work and core stability stuff. Even did a bit of gardening today (one of my dogs learned to harvest the beet when I wasn't looking, so I guess we'll be having that for supper!) Good day in all.

Sad the weekend is over.

Xx

Legs done! It seemed to go by really fast. I actually missed wall squats! I didn't let myself hold back. My balance is still off for the lunges, so I went d ever with no weights. Then used 15's on the rest, and 25 on calves! Need to move up on deadlifts for sure......so going to feel this one.

Lisa, I am with you, I like these. And, I love the 1 min rest!!

Tom, how are you doing?

Hi Karen, Roz, and Justine.

Lib, you asked what I like about kettlebells. Well, I have workout ADHD. I get bored very quickly, and easily with the same workout. So, for me, kettlebells are something different. I like the fact that I can get a strength and cardio workout at the same time. Then again, I feel a need to use all my workout equipment. I feel guilty if something sits unused for any length of time. Call me crazy. Kettlebells are easy to move. I like working outside in the Summer. I enjoy working with them. Highly recommend!

Last edited:
Lib, yay for your new Cize addiction! Glad you found something you enjoy! PUB = Pyramid Upper Body. Terrific work on Meso 2 legs! I think I'll pull out one of those this week, you've inspired me. Cool that you are moving up on your weights! Well, maybe you should give this tow truck driver a shot, even just a casual coffee date. I think Justine and I are desperate for any sort of gossip. :)

Justine, hope you enjoyed that beet for dinner tonight. Glad you feel good about today's workout! The question is will you be glued to your TV, gulping down the sudsy stuff? Or do you care? I couldn't care less about the Super Bowl. Thank goodness it's a one day thing. The hype goes on forever, but the game itself is like 4 hours and then done. Some of the commercials are interesting but I don't care a lick about football. My DH will be going to a friend's house to watch the game. I'll be staying home with my girls, probably sipping tea and reading a book (yeah right, more like chasing my 4 year old around the house while my baby patiently watches the mayhem).

Karen, I need a KB tutorial. I'm like Lib, have always kinda been disinterested and fearful! Ha!

Waves to Tom and Roz, and sending Tom some major healing vibes for that elbow.

Karen, w/o adhd? Same here! Interesting about the kb. I will reconsider them.

Lisa, if he calls, I will go. You might like the trooper that has been hitting on me for almost a year. He was talking to a lady -within the personal space bubble- last week. Which is nice and could explain why I haven't heard from him for a month.

Wow. Butt DOMS!! Thankfully they are worse than the other leg doms, or I wouldn't have been able to get my pants on. Pretty funny when one has to contemplate the best way to put pants on......before moving.

Does anyone use a heart rate monitor? Why? Chest strap? Or wrist band? Why? Vivofit, Fitbit, something else? Why? Pros, cons?

Thank you

Hello from a cardio queen! I did mama kickboxing today- ok, not the toughest, but look at me getting all jiggly.

Lib, I have a hrm - a polar chest strap one. I used to wear it a lot ( for things like sprint intervals). It's great to see what you've achieved over a week, and it was good motivation. I stopped wearing it when the battery range out (HOW lazy?) and, anyway, I'm doing more lifting than anything else at the moment, so it's less relevant.

Lucky you that the Super Bowl is only one day- the rugby goes on for weeks. I will, however, watch the England matches, but not the others. And I don't like beer, so I can't really join in properly! Wine just doesn't seem right in front of such a testosterone fuelled game. I've a great image of you tearing round the house after a 4 year old. Great workout, I'd say!

Top of the week ladies!! Well the diagnosis is medial epicondylitis, it is inflammation of the common flexor tendon, but is a lot less common than tennis elbow which is on the lateral aspect. It says that if it hurts, don't do it...not sure how that will fly, but I will try! Today was chest day and I tried barbell bench, but it aggravated things, so I tried dumbbell bench instead and it was better so I went with it, working up to 75s x8 and finishing with 65s x 12. Next I used 55s for inclined bench and did 1x12 and 3x10. I finished with 2 100 rep challenges, pushups 6x15 and 1x10 (these were harder after dumbbell bench than barbell bench...go figure, even though I did less sets) and inclined sit ups with a 10# plate 4 x 25. I put some ice on today since I don't have to work and even taking ibuprofen ( never do that) hopefully back at it full speed soon (really miss the bi work!!) Justine..would maybe be less brawls if more wine/ less beer!!! Just a thought! Lib. congrats on the doms, it means you EARNED THEM!! Lisa, thanks for the healing thoughts, Karen, I love the ADHD workout mentality, wish I could change things up, but I get entrenched in my ruts, (probably why the tendonitis!!) Roz, don't make us come to Vermont!!!Great work everyone!!

Glad you got a diagnosis, Tom! Knowing is half the battle, right? Good morning, everyone! I've come to realize, (actually I've known for quite awhile) that I have more strength, later in the day. So I have moved my KB program to after work. Four o'clock in the morning, I can barely pry my eyes open. Forget about throwing a KB. So my morning workout has become something I can sleep through. Not really, but kinda. This morning was Mark Lauren EFX. Can't really sleep through it, but not throwing a lot of weight around. It does get the blood moving. Keep up the great work, everyone.

Oh, and nice job, Broncos! My children are elated. Had to throw that in. Lived in Denver for awhile.

Hi Commandos!
Man, this has been one zinger of a week... I've been really sick for basically the entire week... the worst cold I remember having, pretty much ever. Or flu, or something, I just don't know. I'm still just feeling zero energy. Usually even if I'm under the weather, a little light cardio or something puts some spring in my step but my body is just like... NOOOOOOO if I do anything other than a little lifting. I finished last week's lifting and this week is deload so I think I'll probably do the deload workouts and keep it to that. Even today I tried to do the warmup from SJP for my warmup before squat deload and I couldn't even bring myself to do it.
Anyways, sorry for the rant, but that's where I am! Plus my daughter is being difficult so... and speaking of, she's starting to act up now, so I only have a moment... :mad: gotta say I'm really over this whole tantrum thing...

Karen et al, thanks so much for your input on diet, etc. That really helps, and I agree with your logic. Till I got sick, I was feeling strong. I'm taking a break from being super strict while sick as I'm feeling quite hungry and I know it's better to just give my body the food it needs to recuperate than to push and and extend this awfulness.

Tom, sorry about the elbow, but glad you know what the problem is! Great job working around it and keep up the awesome work. Hope you're feeling better in no time.

Justine, I think you should sip some sparkling rose at the next rugby-watching party you attend. Maybe bring some petits fours and canapes, too? Awesome, awesome work on HTS. Just loving hearing about your workouts. What do you use for the landmine moves?

Lib, love reading about your intrigues and I'm soooo happy you're loving STS! :D

Karen, great work on all your KB stuff!

Lisa, mama, hope those toddler-chasing workouts aren't wearing you out too much! Great work on all your work-work, as always. :)

OK, really gotta run...
High fives all around -- I'll be back when I'm feeling SOMEWHAT back to normal, which hopefully will be soon...
Roz

Roz, more (((HUGS))) to you. Thinking of you. You know the drill, I've got your back. Hopefully, once you get through this illness, you'll have paid your cosmic dues and will be solidly healthy for the next couple of years. (Geez, I wish it worked that way.)

Tom, like everyone else said, at least you know what it is. Such a bummer that you can't work the bis the way you want to. Karen probably really does have a point with her workout ADHD. All that variety helps, not that I'm preaching or anything because I find something I like and stick to it like glue.

Lib, your putting-on-my-pants dance this morning would've made for a terrific Super Bowl commercial. Yay for butt DOMS! I used to be a HR monitor addict, but I obsess over the numbers too much, like if I didn't hit a certain HR level or calorie burn, my workout didn't "count." That's one of the reasons I cannot ever have a Fit bit or something like that. Way too obsessive of a personality. I have a Polar FT4 (maybe FT7?) with the chest strap. The chest strap is a necessity for accuracy, IMO. I liked the Polar a lot, the problem was me.

Karen, I can't even fathom 4am workouts these days. Good to know what works for you. Why waste the time if you don't have the mojo? Yep, YAY Denver! YAY Peyton! Now he can retire and my DH--who has followed Peyton for his entire career--can be happy and move on with life.

Justine, wow, totally impressed with your cardio endeavors! Maybe once you finish HST you ought to renew your Cathe Live subscription? So much fun cardio available. Look at me, just volunteering you to spend more money. :) Watching all those rugby matches sounds like a full time job.

Today I did Gloved Up & Ready Live (2/4/16). Al was there, which always makes it extra fun. Great cardio workout. I was exhausted this morning so I'm glad I did something, and to honor my 2016 motto of the year, it was definitely "enough."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.