Deadlifts -legs vs back

taterkc

Cathlete
Cathe or anyone--is there a difference in technique, stance, form, etc when doing deadlifts on a leg workout vs a back workout? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cathe or anyone--is there a difference in technique, stance, form, etc when doing deadlifts on a leg workout vs a back workout? Thanks!

I think that if you don't go down too deep, you are activating back muscles more to get you back upright. A more shallow, stiff-legged deadlift would seem to keep tension in the back more than the hamstrings/glutes. A deadlift where you are placing the bar on the ground and picking it up off the ground with each rep works the whole posterior chain and is marvellous for the overall back muscles aswell as being akin to a squat so also beneficial for lower body. This is my preferred form of deadlift. I find that the deeper I go with the stiff-legged deadlift, which for me is practically to the floor since I have a lot of hamstring flexibility and very long arms, I work the glutes more to get back to upright.

The amount of weight on your bar and your own relative degrees of strength and flexibility will also factor in to determining where exactly you feel the lift more.

This is not me reading sports physiology papers, just me thinking out loud and based on my own experiences. We are all different.

Clare

I find sumo deadlift “pulls” work well to target my back even though it is often recommended to target the glutes more. I have very long arms like Clare. Jefferson deadlifts too although at a different angle. LOVE these.
As Clare says, we are all different.

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/GluteusMaximus/BBSumoBlockPull.html
My downward movement has to be much slower than the dude in the demo however. THAT would just put my back out.

I agree with Clare that the floor deads activate the hammies and glutes more, but for me I would LOVE those risers since my flexibility is horrible!! I cant sit on the floor with my feet straight out in front of me. I may have to try Justine's single leg variety ( my balance is in the same category with my flexibility...not good!! Might be a "video comedy moment")

I agree with Clare that the floor deads activate the hammies and glutes more, but for me I would LOVE those risers since my flexibility is horrible!! I cant sit on the floor with my feet straight out in front of me. I may have to try Justine's single leg variety ( my balance is in the same category with my flexibility...not good!! Might be a "video comedy moment")

Oh do share...

A video is welcome as it would put a face to your hilarious post Tom.
Bring it on:)

Hi,

You have had good form pointers from link sent above. Feel free to try out various foot stance posted.
Deadlift does work your overall back to some degree. Why because you need to keep an upright torso, shoulders back
and core braced to hinge from your hip joint up and down. So regardless of the stance, if you keep a good form your back will be
worked.

Now I understand you want to put more emphasis on your back while executing the move instead of your leg.
Here are my two suggestion:

• Wide stiff deadlift, fairly wide not excessively, toes pointed out aligned with your knees.
Start an upright stance with your neck aligned at a neutral position looking in front of you instead of your feet,holding dumbbell or barbell.
hinge from your hip count 4 down and stop. At that point your back should be flat parallel to the floor. When you get to that point, squeeze more the glutes to travel back up counting 4 when you get to 4 your back won't be at the starting position, instead it will tilted forward at 45 degree.Then hinge back down. keep on counting 4x4 slow. This will work more your lower back than your legs. When you go down after 4 counts,assuming you are holding a prone grip, your fist will be at about just after your knees, do not go further than that.
Now if you are comfortable with your lift and want to go safely heavy, add a weighted vest. This will challenge your upper body more.
Your stabilizers will need to work more. Start with 8 reps and build up.​

• Single legged deadlift---It is one of my favourite. I prefer to do it with leg off the floor cause I feel it better and my balance is ok.It is Jai's version. Again if you want to add weight wear your weighted vest. if you are in a crazy mood add ankle weight;):):) Joking:) Again apply the 4x4 counts if you want to fully focus on your back. Stop the hinging down motion just below your knees.All the best

HTH

Last edited:

Tom - having just come back from doing some single legged DLs, I've realised that the heavier the weight, the more stable I feel during the move. A bit like holding DBs when doing calf raises. Two DBs also 'tested' better for me compared to KB or BB. Worth messing around with stances and equipment, I reckon.

I may have to try Justine's single leg variety ( my balance is in the same category with my flexibility...not good!! Might be a "video comedy moment")

With regards to one legged deadlift, I agree with quote above. It is good to try various equipment and stances. I personally
never tried this move with Kettlebell. I do not have any at the moment. Lost few while moving locations.
As to highlighted above, you do not need to hold a long lever while extending the back leg. I think at this point two
dumbbell would work best for you.

I tried with barbell and interestingly, to keep my balance i had to keep constant tension on my glute.
Both arms being busy holding the barbell on a wide prone grip, I only had my core and glute left
to keep myself balanced:eek::). I could not release the tension off my glute at ALL:eek:
With Barbell, the load is light about 8-20kg.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the tips! My question originated in my mind when I did deadlifts in a leg workout then later that week deadlifts in the same way in a back workout. So I wondered if there was something I should do or focus on differently between the two workouts.

Hi Everyone,

Here is another modification to conventional/traditional deadlift. It is for those who own a rack or Squat cage.
Great to strengthen the erector spinae, gaining the S shape in the process ladies;););)

Happy lift to you all

Sorry taterkc, we didn't answer your question, did we? All I can say is that having done STS 4x, I don't recall Cathe mentioning any difference between the DLs on a back or leg day. She cues the same, too. I guess DLs work both back and legs (hamstrings). Often, though, I don't do lifts quite like Cathe suggests - I'll alter a workout to suit my needs.

Sorry taterkc, we didn't answer your question, did we?

I shall, politely, exclude myself from the "We people" you have mentioned above here!!!!!

Should I or anyone else not answer to the question, It is entirely up to the thread originator to post so!!!!

IMHO, I believe I have accurately answered the question. Should anyone disagree with me please CUE!!!!
Also, play smart and fair providing specific techniques!!!

http://www.muscleandfitness.com/workouts/workout-tips/deadlifting-difference?page=2

Last edited:

My suggestion would be to play with the move. Different stances, equipment and hand positioning. Make it yours. Listen to your body. Do you feel a certain stance more in your legs or back. Spend some time trying every angle, and then have some fun with it!

I don't recall Cathe mentioning any difference between the DLs on a back or leg day. She cues the same, too.

Without aiming to have the last word gaining maximum of likes:eek:, I recall the answer being properly and clearly cued, not in STS
but in other cathe's program!! JMO

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.