Strength in Numbers

Last night was Hardstrikes no conditioning. That one is fun and flies by. Of course it is only 35 minutes. I am taking tomorrow off work. I have an industry exam on Monday morning and I plan to use the weekend to cram study for it. So since I have tomorrow off, I have a ton of stuff I need to try to get done today.

Pam Great job on RWH LIH 1 & 2 + HSC abs! There you go again adding in abs and I just set up my September rotation to include no ab work. Surprisingly, my DOMS did not hit much like I thought they would. I can actually walk and sit and stand without any problems. Well that kind of defeats the purpose of eating if it doesn’t have much flavor.

Cheryl Great job on PRS2! I’ll be hoping for rain for you! I know we have had more than our fair share so you are welcome to any more that we would get this year. That’s a good idea about YouTube. I always forget about looking there.

Have a great day!

Cheryl Yep, pushups and pullups give me a great idea of how hard you can work with just your body weight :eek: Those are two of my most dreaded exercises, so maybe I wouldn't like the TRX so much after all ;). Great job on PRS #2 and getting your sweat on! I haven't done that one in a long time, I'm pretty sure I would be stepping all over myself trying to remember the moves. Oh boy, we really need rain around here too. We had a really nice long soak one evening last week, but we haven't had any more since. I've been getting tired of dragging the sprinkler around the yard.

This morning I did PS CST and added on X10 Hi/Lo. The PS series doesn't seem to be as tough as most of Cathe's weight workouts. I like that about it :D. Have a great day ladies!

Pam

Julie Good job on Hardstrikes with no conditioning. Good luck on your exam on Monday, I know you will do well. I sometimes forget about YouTube too but there is a lot of stuff on it.

Pam I really don't like pushups or pullups either. Just wait until you try spiderman pushups with the TRX those really bite. You are lucky that you can still use your sprinkler. It was a dry winter and summer so we are under watering restrictions. You can't wash your car or water your lawn. So everyone has a really dirty car and a brown lawn. Good work on PS CST and the X10 Hi/Lo add on.

Today I did day 3 of the TRX Force Training. After that I did a bit of housework and then did some errands.

Have a great day everyone.

Cheryl

Hi Everybody,
Would like to join your check-in... I see you all do varied workouts-- with lots of Cathe - which appeals greatly to me. I have about 20-25 of her DVDs. Have others too, but she is definitely the backbone of my home program - and has been for about 5 years or so.

About me: I am 71 years old/young and have done just about anything which falls under the category of fitness-- running, yoga, Pilates, boxing, kickboxing, all kinds of other cardio ( which I can't say I love, but...) Kettlebells ( which I Do love) ---- but I Always seem to come back to weights-- lifting... I have to say that I actually do feel age-less as a result of all of this which started when I was 36 and moved to SCa.. I was a publicist and in marketing up until about 3 years ago. Things changed a lot in my field and it was time to move on. Currently, I am at a challenging time, as my husband of 30 years has become literally "bionic"- having had 2 hips, one shoulder and now in 10 days a knee replaced. This year has been particularly tough, as it's been one thing after another. My savior has been working out, both in the gym and at home. During the coming weeks, it will be home for me, as he recovers. By the way, he earned all of this honestly--- as a field surgeon in Vietnam, jumping out of a helicopter.

In any event, I am looking forward to giving - and hope receiving support from this group. I always have lots of ideas on working out and modifing.. To me working out is truly Creative-- and ofcourse fun.

Well enuf about me... Would love to hear anything from any of you!!

Mary

Been doing yoga. The art studio isn't ready yet. Joe just got surgery again for skin cancer on his back. It's the kind that surgery will work. Good news, no more on his body. That kind of news is so welcoming, since he gets at least 4-6 surgeries a year. He needs to recover until he gets the stitches out before he can continue on the Studio. Should be a couple weeks.

You all are so good on your workouts. Very proud of you.

Want to Welcome Mary to our group. MY MOM's name was Mary!
Love your attitude about life. I'm 64+. Been doing easier workouts, because if I do advanced, I always injure myself and it seems to take forever to heal. So, much prevention here.
I want to thank your husband for being bionic for us and for putting his life at risk too. Much appreciated! I can't thank him enough.
I LOVE working out. It helps get through life much easier on many levels. Looking forward on hearing your ideas on working out and modifying. It truly is a skill of creativity/fun.

I'm retired from the workforce and believe it or not, much busier than I have ever been. I'm an artist, crafter. My hubby is building me a studio made from a plastic shed. It's different, and will take it! LOL! Bless his heart. I live by the beach and my dogie (Rolly) and I walk it all the time. Hubby would too, but he gets skin cancer (the kind that is surgically removed) and his doctor tells him to stay out of the sun. He's only human, so sometimes he just goes out there anyway. I can't blame him, he has to live life...

You will love this group of people! They are all so amazing! Can't say enough good things about them. When I talk about them, I call them my people. Love you guys.

So welcome again, and I'm so glad you picked us to seek support. That is what we do for each other. And write down what we do to be accountable. Enjoy this wonderful group as I'm sure we will enjoy you as well.

Take care everyone,

Janie

Cheryl OMG, Spiderman pushups with the TRX sound torturous! I'm not really sure I need to try those! Yes, we are lucky to not have watering restrictions, although it has been pretty dry lately. We got a lovely long rain this morning though. I saw a story about a hot business in California - lawn painting. People can't water so some people are spray painting their lawn green! Very creative!
Great job on your TRX Force Training!

Mary WELCOME! It's so nice to have you join us! I have a few other DVDs but do mostly Cathe workouts too. Wow, your poor DH, that is a lot of surgery. We certainly are thankful for his service and his hard earned bionic parts! I am 54 years old and have worked at IBM for 31 years in Research Triangle Park, NC. I started working out in my 20's when I joined a local gym. I really fell in love with the cardio classes and was a hard core high impact aerobics girl for a long time. I started teaching classes at the gym a couple of years after joining and taught aerobics, step and spinning classes for about 15 years. Now I do all of my working out at home. I love the convenience, but do miss the social aspect of the gym sometimes. I also love my workouts. I am married and have 3 step children: 2 of them are in college and the oldest is currently living and working in Texas. I am looking forward to getting and hopefully giving you support as well!

Janie Great job on your yoga. So sorry to hear that Joe had more surgery. :( I'm glad that there is no more on his body though. Our good friend who grew up in Florida is often having to have skin cancer removed also. Scary stuff!

Friday morning for me was RWH LIHI legs and Core Max 1. I took the day off work because we were going to the beach for the weekend and I wanted to get some things done at home before we went. We also got a quick ski in before we left which was nice. Saturday morning I went for a 3 mile run on the beach and then some swimming and boogy boarding. Sunday was pretty much just a lazy day on the beach. It was really nice, but I am looking forward to a weekend at home after being away three weekends in a row. This morning I started Cathe's September rotation with Tabatacise and added the ab work from Cardio and Weights. Whew, I was dripping with sweat when I was done!! Happy Monday!

Pam

Good Morning Everyone ( at least it's morning on the west coast..),

Janie and Pam, thank you so much for the welcome. I was actually looking forward to checking in, even though I haven't worked out yet today. Sat. did Tri-sets and Stretch Max with the band- both haven't done in a while. Yesterday, I pulled one out I had Never done Hardstrikes- and it brought back memories of my boxing days.. I was surprised that I knew some of the combinations. Also did the conditioning add on. The drills I didn't like, I just picked up my trusty kettlebell and swung it though out the drill instead. That is always one of my modifacations. when in doubt, pick up the KB.

Janie:
My husband has the same delicate skin and those surgeries ( unfortunately ) have become part of his/our life as well. I totally get it about not lifting as heavy as before. Once the injuries start as a result of heavy lifting, the only way to work around it, is to work around it! Yoga is fantastic for that. I Love Yoga Relax and Rodney Yee is my default Yoga go-to. Would love to hear more about your crafting too.. Just picked up my knitting needles again.
Pam: Many of my family members went to UNC, and I have visited the campus. Don't know if you're close by, but you live in gorgeous territory- but you know that I'm sure! Sounds like you spend lots of time at the beach too. I was just thinking yesterday that I haven't bought a Cathe in ages... What do you think of RWH??? Do you have all of them? Also, would love to be able to stick to a rotation, but I tend to just pick up what my body tells me at the time. Matter of fact, that could be one of my goals here and that is to actually Do a whole rotation!!

Again, thank you both for your welcome.

Mary

It’s been awhile so quick recap. Thursday night I did Get Glutes strength. Friday I did some cooking for DH to freeze meals for him, got my hair cut and ran errands. Saturday I did Ride, cooked a few more meals to freeze for DH and then studied. Sunday was RWH CLB and studying. One more exam to go and I get my certification and a trip to Hawaii next September.

Pam Great job on PS CST + X10 Hi/Lo and RWH LIHI Legs + Core Max 1 and your 3 mile beach run and Tabatacise + C& Weights abs! Sounds like you had a productive Friday and still got lots of fun in Friday and over the weekend. I haven’t looked at the September rotation yet but what a killer way to start out.

Cheryl Great job on your TRX training! Thanks for the luck on the exam. I needed it. Was semi-confident going in but then started losing my confidence during the exam. I think I barely passed but hey, that is still passing!

Mary Welcome to the group! The more the merrier (no pun intended there). Wow, you certainly have a lot going on. It is wonderful how fitness can be that relief and ground we need during stressful times. I am 35, been married for 15 years. I have been working out for about 8 years now. I started when I was severely overweight and lost about 70 pounds over the first 5 years. Been holding relatively steady the last 3. Hard to really say because my weight has gone up due to weight lifting but my dress size is the same. I love doing all kinds of fitness but wish I could get more into yoga. Weights is my first love. DH unfortunately does not work out with me but I have tried to encourage him to do something. I hope that I can be like you and the other women on this forum as I get older and still be hanging tough with Cathe. Looking forward to learning more about you in the future. Hope your DH’s surgery goes well. His service and sacrifice is appreciated and admirable.

Janie Great job on yoga! Oh so sorry about the surgery for the skin cancer. What an uncomfortable place to have it (although I am not sure what place would be comfortable). Glad to hear they got it all.

Have a great day!

Mary Welcome to the group. Working out really does help with stress and I love it that you have not let age slow you down. I am 55 years old and have been working out with Cathe for about 16 years now. I just recently retired after 36 years working for the Federal Government. I live just outside of Vancouver B.C. Canada with my husband and 3 cats.

Janie Good job on your yoga workouts. I hope everything is fine with Joey and his cancer.

Pam I heard about the lawn painting business. I will need to keep it in mind. Good work on RWH LIHI Legs and Core Max 1. Also with your 3 mile run and your swimming and boogy boarding and Tabatacise and the ab work from Cardio and Weights.

Mary Good work with Hardstrikes. Don't worry about not liking something at least you got your kettlebell out and did that during the drills.

Julie Good job on Get Glutes, Ride RWH CLB and all of your cooking and studying. That will be nice to get to go to Hawaii, hopefully it will be in the winter so you can really enjoy the warm weather there. I am sure you did more than barely pass your exam. When do you find out the results?

So for me I did my TRX force training on Friday, Saturday was Knockout Rockout, Sunday was yoga and today was week 2 day 1 of the TRX Force Training. Friday night into Saturday we had a massive wind storm that knocked out power to about 1/2 million people in our area. We were lucky and didn't lose power but some people were out for a couple of days. A lot of trees were knocked down and I am really glad that the trees that are surrounding us stayed upright. It has finally started to rain here too. I can't believe that I am this happy that it is raining but it has been really dry here so we need it. It seems like summer ended just like that and we are now into fall.

Cheryl

This morning was Aerobic Yoga. This afternoon was a walk with Rolly for 30 min. at the beach. Tonight was HiTT 30/30. YaHOO!

Pam,
Great job on RWH LIHI legs and Core Max 1 on Fri. And for the quick skii in. Sat. for the 3 mile run on the beach, swimming and boogy boarding. Wow! For Sun being lazy on the beach. For starting Cathe's Sept. rotation with Tabatacise and the addition of ab work.

Mary, Great job on Sat. Tri-sets and Stretch Max with band. And for yesterday's Hardstrikes and the add ons. Isn't it nice when something can bring back fond memories. You seem to have an instinct when something doesn't work for you, you do something that does. Good for you! Love the modification using kettlebells. I hate that our husbands have to go through so much. Oh! I love Rodney, he's the best. Yea, glad you picked up your knitting needles. I crochet, so I know about needles. LOL It's very creative.

Cheryl, Great job on TRX force training on Fri., Sat for Knowckout Rockout, Sun. yoga and today week 2 day 1 of the TRX force Training. We had a huge storm here as well and also knocked out power for a day. It got up to 60+ mph. Scary! Glad you are safe! I feel the same way about Summer leaving us. It's been in the low 50's with rain. Using a blanket tonight and watching TV. Brrrrrrrrrrr!

Take care everyone xoxo,

Janie

Last night I did Athletic Step. My legs especially my inner thighs were so sore from RWH CLB. I was almost afraid I wouldn’t make it through AS last night. Walking up the 6 flights of stairs to work this morning was also tricky but I made it.

Cheryl Great job on TRX force training, RK, and yoga! I actually got my grade results this morning and did better than I expected. They only give you a range but I was in the 85-90% range so much better than I expected. You only need a 70% to pass and I for sure thought that was where I was. Hawaii will be in September so not winter but I will still take it. I am glad you didn’t have any damage or lose power and that you are finally getting rain. I know you have been needing it for a while.

Janie Wow, great job on your triple threat workout of Aerobic Yoga, beach walk, and 30/30! I saw your bike cover on FB, that is crazy the damage you had. I hope that was the extent of it.

Have a great day!

Mary Great job on Tri-Sets. stretch max and Hardstrikes. That was my workout this morning. Uh oh, I have been contemplating whether or not I need to get a KB. It sounds like you are a fan. Yes, we are pretty close to UNC, about 40 miles from our home. Our youngest is a sophomore there this year and our oldest graduated from there last year. We get to the beach a few times a year, we are lucky enough to have friends with a house on the ocean. We also spend a lot of time at the lake as we are water skiiers. We haven't been able to ski as much as we'd like to the last couple of years, but we get there as often as we can. I do have the entire RWH series and I really like it. The workouts are all shorter ones (most are 30-45 minutes) and there are varying levels of intensity and impact. There is a lot of variety and there are a lot of premixes so you can really do a lot with them. Once I started doing rotations I became a fan quickly. It seems silly, but I really like not having to think about what workout to do. Some days I would stand in front of the shelves for 10 minutes just trying to decide what to do. With the rotations I just look at my calendar to see what I'm supposed to do. If it's something I don't like I will sub in something else, but that doesn't happen too often.

Julie I missed your post about studying for your exam. Congratulations on passing! A trip to Hawaii sounds like a great motivator to study hard! Great job on GG Ride, and RWH CLB. You are so good cooking those meals for your DH, I bet he appreciates that. This whole week in this rotation is a little intimidating since it has both Tabatacise and Intensity! Nothing like starting off with a bang.

Cheryl Great job on your TRX force training, KR and yoga and TRX Force Training again. I'm glad that you didn't have any damage from the storm and that you didn't lose your power. I hate hearing that summer is ending, it's too soon!!

Janie Great job on Aerobic yoga, your beach walk with Rolly and your favorite 30/30! I saw the reports on the storms out there and was thinking about you. I'm glad to hear that you didn't have too much damage.

Julie Great job on AS and getting up those 6 fights of stairs on your sore legs!

This morning was HardStrikes. Of course I was not looking forward to that su/pu combo at the end. I did manage to pretty much keep up with Cathe and the crew, but I also did the last half of the pushups on my knees. I think I was breathing harder after that than after the workout! I hope everyone has a great day!

Pam

Today was Travel Fit. Nice I might do some cardio with the mountain climber watching TV tonight. See how the energy is then.

Pam, Great job on HardStrikes and good for you for keeping up with Cathe. YaHoo! Push ups on knees are good. LOL! You did awesome!

Julie, The wind only blew to pieces the bike protection. Thank God! Great job on AS. Glad you made it through after doing the night before RWH CLB. Good For You! I can imagine you walking up 6 flights of stairs. OOOUUUUUUYYYYY!

Take care everyone,

Janie

Hi Ladies,

I'm just checking in to let you know that I am taking a "rest day".. not really because we have been getting my husband's PT and equipment set up for after his surgery and have to pick up our grandchildren ( 7 and 12) after school, so I am off today and contemplating what you've said about rotations, and see if I can try one in the future. Having said what I have, I still like to keep a 3 day split in some way- and then the rest is up for grabs....
I did go to the gym yesterday and did legs.. I like to work out there as well because I have access to machines that ofcourse I don't have at home ie like Leg Extention, Leg Press.. to mix it up. Also heavier weights and barbells- which I don't have at home

Glad to see Hardstrikes is something this group uses.. Before a couple of days ago, it wasn't even in my radar... thank you putting it back there.

If anyone wants any info on kettlebells :p, just ask away..

Pam and Julie, Thank you for your welcome.. I look forward to seeing the successes of you both and the rest of the group!!!

Off to pick up the grandchildren..BTW, our fur creature/child is Sapphire who is a black cocker spaniel.. She rescued us when she was about 18 months old and is now 7 years old. She likes to watch me do Yoga-- lifting weights- not so much.......

Mary

Sorry, :oops: I forgot to say Thank You to Cheryl too. Please let me know about your TRX training.. they have one at the gym.. Do you have one at home??. I had some training sessions with a trainer who had me doing those spider things, but haven't done them since............

Mary

Janie Good job on Aerobic Yoga and your walk with Rolly and Hiit 30/30 and Travel Fit today. We both got hit by that same storm over the weekend. Yep it is cool here too with lots of rain.

Julie Good work on Athletic Step and your six flights of stairs. See I knew you did better than you thought you did. Congratulations!!! I would take Hawaii in September too. Do you get to take DH with you?

Pam Good work on Hard Strikes. Don't worry I have to go to my knees for the last half of the su/pu combo too.

Mary Rotations are good if you know you will be able to stick to it for the month. If you know you will have a crazy month sometimes it is good to keep things open and do what you can. Going to a gym is a great way to mix things up because you do have access to machines that you don't have at home. I have a TRX at home and it is a nice change from lifting weights. It really works your core too. Yes those spider things are a killer.

So this morning I did RWH Low Impact # 2 and core #1. After that I did some cleaning and after lunch I went for a walk to a local park. So I walked from home to the pier and was walking back when someone said that there was a mother bear and her cubs just up a head. I walked a bit further and saw one of the cubs, they are so cute but I wanted to keep my distance from them. So I took a different trail along with several other people, we didn't want to get too close to them.

Cheryl

Janie Great job on Travel Fit. You know I never think to do that one when I'm at home because of the name, isn't that silly?! It is a good workout though. Did you get your mountain climbing in?

Mary I hope that you enjoyed your unrestful rest day! It is nice to have the option to go to the gym sometimes. I kept my gym membership for a long time after I stopped going, but ended up never going so gave it up. It's a nice change of pace to go to the gym sometimes when I am traveling though. We have 2 cats - Butters and Shorty. We have had various cats adopt us over the years that just show up outside, but at the moment we only have our two indoor spoiled cats. Butters sometimes likes to come in when I am stretching and make me rub his belly :rolleyes:

Cheryl Great job on RWH LI2 and Core 1, also your cleaning and walk. I think that it would be very exciting and very scary to see a bear. You did the right thing by keeping your distance!

This morning was supposed to be pedal power, but I didn't feel like spinning so I did Rhythmic step and the abs from Muscle Endurance. I am stuck in a bit of a rut on the ab work, I need to find some new ones to do I think. Have a great day!

Pam

Last night I did TBT Total Body Scrambled Express. It flew by. My legs were still really sore from Sunday and I wasn’t sure I would make it but I did. I have been watching the Edge Booty Extreme 2 forum posts and finally caved and ordered it. I am going to play the next couple of days or week by ear until I get the set. I am looking forward to trying something new and I love leg workouts.

Pam Great job on HS! That su/pu combo is so tough and such a dread factor. I was thinking about doing SuperCuts the other day and decided not to because of it. Great job on RS + ME abs! I love PP so at first I was like why would you switch but RS is a good one too! Wish I could help with the abs but you know me and my love of skipping them.

Janie Great job on Travel Fit! I love that one. I did it once while traveling for the first time and realized it is one that can be done anytime and just happens to be travel friendly.

Mary I’m a rotation gal too. I have used Cathe’s monthly rotations in the past but usually like to come up with my own since I don’t always do all Cathe workouts. Any KB workout recommendations? I have Lauren Brooks’ Shut Up & Train which I love and am thinking about getting one of her other ones (Ultimate Body Sculpt and Conditioning 2 maybe). I really need something to help me learn cleans and snatches.

Cheryl Great job on RWH LIH 2! Oh wow, I couldn’t imagine coming up on bears. The only wildlife we have around here are deer, skunks, and possum. I bet the cub was adorable but smart thinking staying away from it. I have heard momma bears are very protective of their babies. I do get to take DH with me. Work will pay for the flight and the first few days of hotel but we can extend the trip and pay for any hotel after that. I am thinking 2 weeks should be a good amount of time over there.

Have a great day!

Another short reply to you all.. Sorry, but we had to get PT set up and just found out that my husband has sleep apnea and needs a C-pap. machine. So we're hustling to get one . And the holiday cuts things short .It's strange to find these things have overtaken life- and hope to find it just temporary. So if I don't address each one of you in BOLD. for a while, please excuse. I promise I will be back to my old/young self;) again soon.. I am glad to see that all of you are keeping up with RWH, yoga ( would like to hear about which DVDS ) and your Cathes..

Julie, look up Anthony DeLugia ( sp) The Art of Strength on YouTube-- He is fantastic in breaking down the KB moves.. I did see that he does have one on snatches. Once you start watching them, you can't stop.. Snatches and Turkish Getups have been the hardest for me, that's for sure.

Mary

Pam Rhythmic Step is a fun workout to do. For ab work I seem to go to RWH and the XTrain series.

Julie Good job on TBT Total Body Scrambled Express. I haven't heard of Edge Booty Extreme. Let us know what you think of it. We have a lot of bears around here. Last week one walk right by our back door but I missed him because I was in the shower. The neighbours filled me in on it. Nice that you get to take DH with you. Two weeks will let you see the sights and maybe even go over to one of the other islands.

Mary Both my DH and me have sleep apnea. The C-pap machine works wonders I hope you get one soon. I also hope things slow down for you soon too. Post when you can.

Today I did my TRX Force Training for week two day two. Then it was so housework and grocery shopping.

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.