Nia Shanks

That's interesting. A bit like the biofeedback testing that Roz is doing - basically go with the position which suits best. For DLs I'm best with shoulder width stance, feet turned out very slightly. I fact That works best for my squats as well. Grip - overhand (rather than staggered) hands just fractionally closer than feet are. I had to 'relearn' to DL after doing Cathe's RDL-style for so long. I must remember to bend my knees! Flexible hamstrings makes me forget to....

Adding that much weight is fantastic. I must admit to having stalled a bit - DL, squat and o/head press have been the same for a couple of weeks. I think I need to eat more, as I've lost my appetite slightly (very unusual for me!)

I'd be interested to hear what you think of your technique once you've watched yourself (I don't mean that as an insult, more that it's interesting to see what we're actually doing compared to what we think we're doing).

I've also been thinking about your question re finishers. Are you trying to stay about the same weight but gain muscle? If so, I think you shouldn't bother with the finishers after lifting. Perhaps do something short and intense on the in-between days???? Just a thought.

Hey everybody, just thought I would chime in. Lower body exercises are my forte, (except front squats. I have a problem holding the bar. I wonder if it's the lack of mobility in my shoulders, or something like that) anyway, deadlifts, squats etc. have always been a very comfortable lift for me. Upper body, I can gain good muscle, but my shoulder lifts, and really bench have never been as comfortable as lower body. I think I am going to try biofeedback testing. I've never done it, so it's an old dog learning a new trick. But, I did read about it, and it looks interesting. And, what I learn may surprise me.

Coming back to edit this. My most comfortable DL position is: feet shoulder distance, toes forward. Hands staggered or palms down. Really feel it in my thutt. (where thighs and butt meet) and my butt.

Last edited:
Justine..I have had problems with appetite as well. I have lost quite a lot of weight over the last several years. I was able to regain some with std, but I forced eating and tons of protein shakes.I would like to add 15-20 lbs, but I don't think I can and have it be good weight. I have decided to get my 150-200 grams protein a day and eat what I want. If it's 170 or 200 so be it!! I did the body for life 14 years ago and started at 228. There was definitely some extra on the bone, but now I am about 170-175. On technique, I think I was not getting low enough was using all lower back so I tried to correct that by starting lower.I was surprised it didn't look worse!!! I have not pushed weight really yet because I wanted to develop my technique so as to prevent injury.I do believe you have to be able to fuel muscle growth, and I think that is my problem as well
That is STS by the way...NOT STD!!!! My autocorrect has done that to me several times!!! sorry I didn't catch it {kinda embarrassing)!

Tom, if you're pulling with your low back, can you take an extra moment when you set up to get tight in your lats? Tony Gentilcore says to imagine squeezing oranges in your armpits to help engage your lats, and 'putting your shoulderblades in your back pocket'. I found his deadlift video really helpful (you get it when you sign up for his emails). Maybe be sure you get tight and take the slack out of the bar before you pull? Do you err on the side of flexion (if you pull with your low back)? For me, imagining slight hyperextension helps when I set up.
I generally set up my feet perhaps a hair narrow than shoulders' width. Arms shoulders' width -- just where they fall naturally. I haven't been doing sumo DLs recently, but later this week I'll be doing my first GSF deadlift workout and will be testing conventional, sumo, and Jefferson deadlifts.

Tom, if you're pulling with your low back, can you take an extra moment when you set up to get tight in your lats? Tony Gentilcore says to imagine squeezing oranges in your armpits to help engage your lats, and 'putting your shoulderblades in your back pocket'. I found his deadlift video really helpful (you get it when you sign up for his emails). Maybe be sure you get tight and take the slack out of the bar before you pull? Do you err on the side of flexion (if you pull with your low back)? For me, imagining slight hyperextension helps when I set up.
I generally set up my feet perhaps a hair narrow than shoulders' width. Arms shoulders' width -- just where they fall naturally. I haven't been doing sumo DLs recently, but later this week I'll be doing my first GSF deadlift workout and will be testing conventional, sumo, and Jefferson deadlifts.
Thanks Roz..I will try that. It sounds like it would help.. It does seem to be all low back to me and that's why I'm cautious. I know I can go heavier, even with my "crap technique" but I want to feel comfortable over the bar first..I will try your suggestions..Thanks!!

That is STS by the way...NOT STD!!!! My autocorrect has done that to me several times!!! sorry I didn't catch it {kinda embarrassing)!

I didn't like to ask.....

As to appetite, it's occurred to me that it might not be my lack of appetite spoiling my workouts, but the other way round - my workouts spoiling my appetite. Even though I suggested that you didn't do finishers, I haven't taken that advice on board myself. I think I've been doing to much, and may have overstretched myself. I'm going to cut back a bit and hope I can add a bit to the barbell. After all, my goal is strength rather than weight loss.

Karen - lack of mobility in your shoulders. For ages, I thought I was the same, then I thought it was lack of T-spine mobility...but now I'm convinced it's a tightness across the front. I've been doing some of my yoga works chest openers:
Chest and Upper Back Workshop by Tim Senesi
Heart Openers by Alexandria Crow
Expansion and Contraction by Caley Alyssa

They really seem to have helped.

Just want to say...
I'm loving GSF2. The workouts feel LONG after Nia. You just go until the movements tests poorly, which can be a while (or not). And you're not supposed to work hard. (No grinding reps.) Somehow I think I'm taking some pressure off myself with this program? In a good way. I'm loving it.
Not much wind left for finishers, though. I started one after today's GSF workout, got 7 mins in, and decided that was enough.
I've had serious DOMS this week.

Just want to say...
I'm loving GSF2. The workouts feel LONG after Nia. You just go until the movements tests poorly, which can be a while (or not). And you're not supposed to work hard. (No grinding reps.) Somehow I think I'm taking some pressure off myself with this program? In a good way. I'm loving it.
Not much wind left for finishers, though. I started one after today's GSF workout, got 7 mins in, and decided that was enough.
I've had serious DOMS this week.
Roz...I was looking at my deads video, and the one that looked and felt the best, I was (sort of ) doing what you suggested!!My shoulders were back and back was less bent (straighter,,not exactly hyperextended, but better) Gonna call you and Karen and Justine "Geniuses from Afar" Thanks..can't wait for Tuesday to give it a try!!

Last edited:
Roz...I was looking at my deads video, and the one that looked and felt the best, I was (sort of ) doing what you suggested!!My shoulders were back and back was less bent (straighter,,not exactly hyperextended, but better) Gonna call you and Karen and Justine "Geniuses from Afar" Thanks..can't wait for Tuesday to give it a try!!

Good news, Tom. Nice job!!

Geez, Roz. Now you have me wanting to do GSF2. It sounds great. Keep us posted, this sounds very good!

I hate to sound like I have dementia, or something, however, does the following workout look familiar to anybody?

2 handed kettlebell swing (20)
Bent over row (R10)
Goblet Clean (20)
Bent over row(L10)
In & out squat (20)
Hand release pushup (10)

I print my workouts on a 8X11 sheet of paper and tape it next to my tv screen, so I know what move is coming next. This was taped there, and I don't remember where I got it. Anyway, did this last night (5 rounds) and if you use a heavy kettlebell, this is a butt kicker. Highly recommend. If it looks familiar, let me know where you found it.
Now I'm going to do laundry.

Karen - Angry Lawn Gnome (LWF2 KB 10 mins and under). I know because I too have it written on a piece of paper, which I too taped to my screen (but I happened to have written the title!) I'm going doolally as well - I put the tea bags in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard this morning......

Tom - it sounds like you've nailed the DL. Good on ya.

Roz, like Karen, I'm now tempted by GSF2. I take it you're doing the full gym version? Did you get the 'No Assembly Required' download? It suggests not doing very much other than GSF (10 minute finisher, and only 1 other workout per week). Roughly how long do the workouts take you? I'm OK up to 50 - 60 mins, otherwise I seem to get very hungry, fed up and I put on weight (weird, I know). Maybe the biofeedback would have me stop after only a few sets, and somehow it would 'know' that longer w/os don't suit me????

This morning I loaded my rucksack with weight plates, ready to do some push-ups - I sat on the floor to put it on, rolled onto my back, and couldn't get up! It was like I was a dying beetle. Or trying to breakdance.....oh, I'm glad no-one can see me.

Karen - Angry Lawn Gnome (LWF2 KB 10 mins and under). I know because I too have it written on a piece of paper, which I too taped to my screen (but I happened to have written the title!) I'm going doolally as well - I put the tea bags in the fridge and the milk in the cupboard this morning......

Tom - it sounds like you've nailed the DL. Good on ya.

Roz, like Karen, I'm now tempted by GSF2. I take it you're doing the full gym version? Did you get the 'No Assembly Required' download? It suggests not doing very much other than GSF (10 minute finisher, and only 1 other workout per week). Roughly how long do the workouts take you? I'm OK up to 50 - 60 mins, otherwise I seem to get very hungry, fed up and I put on weight (weird, I know). Maybe the biofeedback would have me stop after only a few sets, and somehow it would 'know' that longer w/os don't suit me????

This morning I loaded my rucksack with weight plates, ready to do some push-ups - I sat on the floor to put it on, rolled onto my back, and couldn't get up! It was like I was a dying beetle. Or trying to breakdance.....oh, I'm glad no-one can see me.
I can SEE you Justine... In my mind!! Haha..that was too funny!! Looking up doolally NOW!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.