How often for barre?

suethepooh

Cathlete
On a lark tonight I decided to do the standing leg portions of turbo barre while watching tv. I know you're not supposed to work the same body part 2 days in a row, but does this apply to barre as well? I'm wondering if iI can make barre a part of my veg out routine as its so easy to do while paying attention to other things and can take a little guilt out of an otherwise unproductive evening. TIA to anyone who wants to chime in :)

How about all hip flexors / quads and abductors one day, and then hammies / glutes and adductors the next?
Or barre one day and then some upper body band work the next?????

I'm sure, however, that if you feel good to go several days in a row, then all will be fine. Plenty of people do similar things day after day (walk, yoga etc) with no ill effects. Just make sure you release any tension - barre has you in a tight position for so long that I always need to 'shake it all out' afterwards!

I know on videofitnessforum there are some ladies who do barre anywhere from 3-6 days/week with no ill effects, but I would worry about overuse injuries and boredom myself. I think because it's usually high rep bodyweight/light weight it doesn't produce the same tissue injury/ inflammation as heavy weights so, you don't necessarily need the recovery time.
Jamie

On a lark tonight I decided to do the standing leg portions of turbo barre while watching tv. I know you're not supposed to work the same body part 2 days in a row, but does this apply to barre as well? I'm wondering if iI can make barre a part of my veg out routine as its so easy to do while paying attention to other things and can take a little guilt out of an otherwise unproductive evening. TIA to anyone who wants to chime in :)

Hi Suethepooh! I know you probably don't want to hear this but if you are just going through the motions or looking for a workout where you can veg out while doing it, you truly aren't going to get the results you need. You'll lose effectiveness and risk overuse from putting your body through the pace without focusing on muscle contraction. Sure you may still feel the fatigue while doing the workout (while watching TV) but you will get so much more out of it if you focus on leg height, alignment, breathing etc. during the workout, plus you'll only need to do the workout half as much as a result (therefore sparing your muscles from overuse). If your feeling a little guilt and that you want to do a little something extra, try doing a wide variety of short workouts that get your heart rate up but vary the way the muscles are used. This will provide better metabolism boosting benefits, spare your mind/body from redundant movement and help reduce the risk of an overuse injury. Hope this helps :)

Spot on firelight, another red light was "working out while paying attention to other thing..."
;)
FOCUS that is the word...if the mind is not on the job, less likely we will gain the result.

Envoyé de mon D5503 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
suethepooh,

I do laundry related activities while watching a movie or TV sometimes and if I accidentally pair up the wrong socks, I tell my kids, it's crazy sock day. And if they get a piece of clothing that doesn't belong to them, I tell them that will make them look fabulous. Either way, the work gets done. Enjoy your downtime!

Thanks Cathe for your response! I will find other ways to be active while enjoying my show. Maybe some light housework :)

You're the best!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally understand the impulse to not just veg out in front of the TV but to want to do something involving movement if you can while the show is on. I think an element of criticism has crept in here in some of the responses and I think it is unwarranted. Some of us just find it hard to sit still and do nothing even while watching TV and this need to fidget needs to be translated into something positive!

Some people take barre classes daily, some instructors instruct it daily and if they do so, they must not be feeling ill-effects. I walk daily, pretty fast, anything from 5 miles and up, and no, I suffer no ill-effects. Only trial and error will tell if you can do barre more frequently and use this as a way of incorporating movement while watching your fave show.

Do you have a treadmill? If so, walking or running are good things to do while the show is on. You might also do some matwork, pilates work, yoga work, stretching work in front of the TV, or use this time to do a series of 100 lunges, 100 squats, 100 deadlifts, etc, etc, whatever works for you. I used to weight train while watching CSI because I went through a period of de-motivation and the only way I could do the weights was if my brain had something else to distract it. As an anxiety and depression sufferer, this strategy helped me a lot: the exercise helped with depression and the distraction of the TV helped lower anxiety and distracted the brain from endless loops of negative thinking. I did this for a whole year, it helped me stay sane and I got very strong actually! Stronger than I am now.....

You see, there are many reasons why someone might choose to do some exercise while also watching TV. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Cathe may be right: if the workout is the top priority, doing it in front of a television show will detract from your abilities to give your workout your full, 100% focus. However, if you still derive benefit from your chosen method of movement while watching a fun show, then I say "go ahead" because movement is good, movement still counts, and no-one can know your reasons for doing what you do and what you need like you can.

Clare

I totally understand the impulse to not just veg out in front of the TV but to want to do something involving movement if you can while the show is on. I think an element of criticism has crept in here in some of the responses and I think it is unwarranted. Some of us just find it hard to sit still and do nothing even while watching TV and this need to fidget needs to be translated into something positive!

Some people take barre classes daily, some instructors instruct it daily and if they do so, they must not be feeling ill-effects. I walk daily, pretty fast, anything from 5 miles and up, and no, I suffer no ill-effects. Only trial and error will tell if you can do barre more frequently and use this as a way of incorporating movement while watching your fave show.

Do you have a treadmill? If so, walking or running are good things to do while the show is on. You might also do some matwork, pilates work, yoga work, stretching work in front of the TV, or use this time to do a series of 100 lunges, 100 squats, 100 deadlifts, etc, etc, whatever works for you. I used to weight train while watching CSI because I went through a period of de-motivation and the only way I could do the weights was if my brain had something else to distract it. As an anxiety and depression sufferer, this strategy helped me a lot: the exercise helped with depression and the distraction of the TV helped lower anxiety and distracted the brain from endless loops of negative thinking. I did this for a whole year, it helped me stay sane and I got very strong actually! Stronger than I am now.....

You see, there are many reasons why someone might choose to do some exercise while also watching TV. I see nothing wrong with it at all. Cathe may be right: if the workout is the top priority, doing it in front of a television show will detract from your abilities to give your workout your full, 100% focus. However, if you still derive benefit from your chosen method of movement while watching a fun show, then I say "go ahead" because movement is good, movement still counts, and no-one can know your reasons for doing what you do and what you need like you can.

Clare

Clare you're so sweet and perceptive :). I got a whiff of that criticism and it's easiest to just let it waft away. Thanks for the suggestions. I stand/walk on my treadmill while working most days so don't want to go near it outside of work. I will try your other suggestions though. That reminds me in the past I've brought out my step and brainlessly stepped up and down while watching tv. I should do that again. Or maybe find one of those workout games - 10 push-ups every time Hannibal cooks a victim :).

I admire your depression coping skills and your willingness to post about them. I'm another who self medicates with exercise so I feel a little kinship with you :)

Take care!

Sue

suethepooh,

I do laundry related activities while watching a movie or TV sometimes and if I accidentally pair up the wrong socks, I tell my kids, it's crazy sock day. And if they get a piece of clothing that doesn't belong to them, I tell them that will make them look fabulous. Either way, the work gets done. Enjoy your downtime!
I HATE folding laundry!!! Maybe doing it distracted will take some of the sting out :) thanks doll!

Clare you're so sweet and perceptive :). I got a whiff of that criticism and it's easiest to just let it waft away. Thanks for the suggestions. I stand/walk on my treadmill while working most days so don't want to go near it outside of work.
Sue

Oh wow, I didn't think Cathe was being critical? But I have to ask what your job is as you walk on treadmills for it - I think I need a job like that LOL!!
Jamie

I didn't think Cathe was being critical either. I'm just not mentioning names because I don't want to get in it with her.

I work from home so I walk slowly or just stand on the treadmill to avoid hours of sitting. It's pretty easy to walk and type for doing rote tasks. I have to sit down for serious thinking though.

Not mindlessly eating so often while watching tv would be an improvement for me! I think I ate a few pounds of raisins last night.lol. Treadmilling is brilliant! Because I have scoliosis, when I am doing anything barre or pilates-like, my focus needs to be very serious and laser like. I find that I cannot even do that type of work after a tabata routine because I am beat and I cannot focus or center quite enough and realign all the times I have to cue myself to align. I've been learning lately that many, many dvds or routines on youtube etc. leave core work for last.
Anyway, sorry to veer off topic a bit.

I take advantage of commercial breaks and do pushups, lunges, squats, situps, & just some stretching. I've seen the "treadmill" work stations and would love to have one in my home. I would love to be on the computer and walking at the same time. I always walk while I'm on the phone. Lots of great suggestions here and I hope I'm not coming off as being critical. I too hate just sitting for too long.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.