Breaking through Plateaus - Thoughts ;-)

Hi Everyone,

Just would like to share two articles below regarding breaking plateaus cycles.

By no mean, I meant plateau in weight loss scale-wise. I am referring to no more result
to body composition change, muscle build etc....

http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/nutrition/break-through-your-plateau/
http://cathe.com/resistance-training-and-the-law-of-diminishing-returns

Hope to hear from you.
Kind Regards,

I remember reading in Anna Benson's Fit for Life book that usually, the exercises we like the least are the ones we need the most. For example, lunges are one of the most hated exercises in the world. I had bad knees, crappy ankle dorsiflexion, flat feet, the most inflexible quads ever, and the weakest adductors. Genetically cursed in the legs in looks and strength- it's all in my upper body. I hated all lower body work, except for deadlifts. (I have flexible hamstrings, so they're not that hard for me.) She was absolutely right...what I hated most was what I needed, and what broke through plateau after plateau.

I think we have to go after the hard stuff. Whatever our weak point is at that time, work on it. Not every time we work out, NOT for our entire exercise period during the day, because there has to be some fun mixed in. But each time we work out, choose something that is really hard and just do it. Really focus, knock it out of the park if you can, but be willing to fall on your tush trying until you get it...that's my strategy. And it won't always be pain-free. It took months and months of grueling work, sometimes where I felt I was making no progress at all, before I could even do one lunge with both knees at 90-degree angles. Full squats...not my strong suit. Floorwork...well, a couple of years ago I couldn't get down to or up from the floor, LOL. I had to do leg lifts on my bed at first. Tall-box climbs or leg presses, I was pathetic. 6 inches was my tall box at first. :) Step aerobics? Please, I had to do them on the floor for months and still take breaks in between sets.

Eighty pounds and countless inches down later...trust me, do what is not your strong suit on a regular basis. It is so worth doing the hard stuff. But balance it out. And when you lift heavy or do lots of plyos in your cardio for the first time...REST. Eat well. DON'T compare yourself to others. I think sometimes plateaus can be more about our non-workout time than what we do during our workout time.

You know what my strong suit is now? Floorwork...5 lb. ankle weights per leg + 12 lb. dumbbell, when appropriate. And I now love step aerobics. Who knew? ;)

When you walk your dogs, is that 2 hrs at once or broken into a few walks during the day?
3/4 hr or so in the morning, first thing, then an hour or so late afternoon. I also do a midday training session with them. I always have working dogs, so I need to improve their (our) endurance. It's all off-leash. My favourite bits of the day, especially at this time of year.

Was just thinking this today while walking into the grocery store. I remembered when I was so weak (from arthritis, fibromyalgia, out-of-shape, obese) that curbs were hard to climb up, and I actually feared them. No joke. Today, I felt the power of my legs pulling me easily along as I briskly walked in, knowing I could jump the curbs all day long if I needed to. And I thought, "Wow...I am a lucky person. To regain my health and mobility like that, to have a second chance at fitness, I am blessed. I got something back that a lot of people never do."

Anyway, that was totally self-absorbed and OT, but strong legs are the bomb! :D

Liz, you have been through hell! I can just visualise a quarter of it!
Be stronger and get your story out there. You could help many.

Strong legs rocks, I hear you!

oh no! More floorwork and burpees for me then.....

I love burpees! I have no idea why. Maybe they take advantage of my stronger upper body? I think I may just be so darn proud that I can do burpees now after being such a weakling, I'm running on adrenaline as I perform them. I like regular planks, but not side planks. I am not built for them. Chicks with big gazombas, a rather round booty and long limbs are not designed for side planks IMHO, sorry. (Also applicable to jumping, although I do work on them all the time now. Plyos of all varieties and my "curves" make for an interesting visual combination...) Anyway, I modify and do side bridges, which are still hard.

This could be a whole new thread! What do we hate; a.k.a., What do we have to do more of? (Sorry, I've totally hijacked this without meaning to, OP.)
1. The insane, toes only-on-the-stability-ball acrobatic trick Cathe and crew pull off as they're in a handstand type position. I know they must work the abs beautifully, but I fear self-decapitation or neck-breaking if I ever actually tried that. I keep my shins on the ball and they still scare me.
2. I hate those pulsing and half-up lunges Cathe does in GS Legs (and a few other workouts). They are so freaking hard for a chick who has ginormous feet and supinating ankles like me. I know I need them, I know they'll create Superwoman legs eventually, but ouch.
3. When she does a bazillion calf raises off a step...oh my.
4. The halfway up/down biceps curls in GS turn me into a Barbie 'bell-using wuss by the end every time. Doing biceps curls with 3 lbs. and I'm still shaking...that makes me feel downright shameful.
5. Last but not least, those darn 72 push-ups in GS Chest & Triceps. Groan.

Yet Gym Style is my favorite series-within-a-series. I have issues.

Now for the truly terrifying: Big jumps onto or off of a step. Not...happening...ever. I'd crack the step, my head, every joint in my body, and the floor. A delicate flower, I'm not.

Liz, you have been through hell! I can just visualise a quarter of it!
Be stronger and get your story out there. You could help many.

Strong legs rocks, I hear you!

No, I've not really been through hell. Overall, I've had an easy life compared to a lot of people in the world. I mean, yes, I had issues with a physical disability. It was very scary to lose my mobility and worry that it was going to get worse and worse, to feel that helpless. To be as big as I was, and fear I'd keep getting bigger. The pain level and fatigue day in and day out sucked, no doubt. But in the scheme of things, I am extremely blessed and have it very good by worldly standards. I often wonder why I got a second chance at getting strong and healthy again, when people like my late uncle (who died in part from a spinal degeneration issue) did not. That part of it is a bit sad. :( But I try to think of him and keep working hard in part because I want to embrace this wonderful body that now allows me to do so much, so often. He would have given anything to be as strong as I am now. I won't take what I have for granted.

I don't think I've done anything much beyond what any Cathlete has done, getting in shape. I just started from a much lower level of fitness and health than a lot of people. But I'm not special. Anyone could do that. :) I'm still kind of a wuss, by Cathlete standards. I have a long way to go. But that's exciting to me! I love that I still have so many mountains to climb in fitness.

I was once more made very happy today. Climbed up four flights of old metal steps while chatting with a friend in a parking garage, and wasn't out of breath at all. I couldn't walk up one flight of stairs two years ago, period. It's such a fun feeling to go anywhere and do anything unafraid. Not sweating like a pig and gasping for air. No worries about too much walking wearing me out. Sitting in a chair and being able to cross my legs, getting in and out of a car easily, slipping in and out of a booth in a restaurant with ease. I'm thrilled by the dumbest little things, I know. I'm a goof, but fitness is such a joy! :D

No, I've not really been through hell. Overall, I've had an easy life compared to a lot of people in the world. I mean, yes, I had issues with a physical disability. It was very scary to lose my mobility and worry that it was going to get worse and worse, to feel that helpless. To be as big as I was, and fear I'd keep getting bigger. The pain level and fatigue day in and day out sucked, no doubt. But in the scheme of things, I am extremely blessed and have it very good by worldly standards. I often wonder why I got a second chance at getting strong and healthy again, when people like my late uncle (who died in part from a spinal degeneration issue) did not. That part of it is a bit sad. :( But I try to think of him and keep working hard in part because I want to embrace this wonderful body that now allows me to do so much, so often. He would have given anything to be as strong as I am now. I won't take what I have for granted.

I relate to your story. I have mentioned before. I have diabetes, hyper blood pressure and obesity in my family too.
Obesity from my dad side is a morbidly one. My uncle died few years ago of obesity's consequences . At some point
I did NOT want to let my obesity escalate to the point of physical disability. I got to the point of telling myself: "Stop complaining
and do something about this body you dislike":oops::oops::oops:
Somehow lifting is a way of embracing this body i was not comfortable in.
Yes there is still mountain to climb but you are getting there with FUN FUN FUN
Again very well done girl full of knowledge. Huge hug to you:):)

I remember reading in Anna Benson's Fit for Life book that usually, the exercises we like the least are the ones we need the most. For example, lunges are one of the most hated exercises in the world. I had bad knees, crappy ankle dorsiflexion, flat feet, the most inflexible quads ever, and the weakest adductors. Genetically cursed in the legs in looks and strength- it's all in my upper body. I hated all lower body work, except for deadlifts. (I have flexible hamstrings, so they're not that hard for me.) She was absolutely right...what I hated most was what I needed, and what broke through plateau after plateau.

I think we have to go after the hard stuff. Whatever our weak point is at that time, work on it. Not every time we work out, NOT for our entire exercise period during the day, because there has to be some fun mixed in. But each time we work out, choose something that is really hard and just do it. Really focus, knock it out of the park if you can, but be willing to fall on your tush trying until you get it...that's my strategy. And it won't always be pain-free. It took months and months of grueling work, sometimes where I felt I was making no progress at all, before I could even do one lunge with both knees at 90-degree angles. Full squats...not my strong suit. Floorwork...well, a couple of years ago I couldn't get down to or up from the floor, LOL. I had to do leg lifts on my bed at first. Tall-box climbs or leg presses, I was pathetic. 6 inches was my tall box at first. :) Step aerobics? Please, I had to do them on the floor for months and still take breaks in between sets.

Eighty pounds and countless inches down later...trust me, do what is not your strong suit on a regular basis. It is so worth doing the hard stuff. But balance it out. And when you lift heavy or do lots of plyos in your cardio for the first time...REST. Eat well. DON'T compare yourself to others. I think sometimes plateaus can be more about our non-workout time than what we do during our workout time.

You know what my strong suit is now? Floorwork...5 lb. ankle weights per leg + 12 lb. dumbbell, when appropriate. And I now love step aerobics. Who knew? ;)
You are giving me hope that I can get back into better shape again. I've been having a lot of things happening in my life lately and I have gained weight. I've been feeling like all hope is lost but I guess not. I guess it's time to stop feeling sorry for myself and get back to serious work and better eating. I'm the opposite of you, I have a better, stronger lower body than upper body. Time to work on pushup and tricep pushups, they are what I loath the most.

Wow! I am so impressed by your attitude turquoise eyes! :) This emoticon doesn't cover it!

I am coming back from a kidney infection, then antibiotic reaction which trashed my gut, and then cellulitis infection and food sensitivity induced eczema. Omg! I have felt so embarrassed by the 50 lbs I gained back from so many courses of antibiotics and steroids for my skin. I have been very depressed. I don't always feel pain right away, and a year and a half ago I dislocated my left leg. I didn't know it for about six months when I went in to see my chiropractor for my arm and he looked at me and said, how can you walk on that? :eek: I have been in PT/ chiro care and I am now cleared for take off! Yippee and omg I need to lose 98 lbs. :( But, I know I can, and I will, and Cathe is always there for us.

I know we can do this!

Just want to say I've been stalking this thread, and love it. I've had a very busy few weeks, so haven't chimed in yet.
First of all, I echo everyone who's giving cheers and high fives to RapidBreath! You can do it! :D
Also -- woah -- 250 lb bench press! All I have to say is:
Wayne & Garth : Alice Cooper :: Me : RapidBreath
I pressed 100 lbs the other day and was all pleased with myself -- sheesh! ;)

Like Karen, I am loving the Nia Shanks program, and training for strength in general. I find it really gratifying.
I'm lifting heavier than ever and am hitting and working towards fun goals. I hit a 1x bodyweight squat earlier this week, and am inching towards a 1.5x bodyweight deadlift. I think it will happen before my rotation's over in 5 weeks.
I'm taking pressure off myself. I'm not waking up as early. I fit in my workouts when I can. I'm not counting or quantifying or weighing (except for my meticulous lifting spreadsheets -- ha!). It's fun, it's liberating.

Wow! I am so impressed by your attitude turquoise eyes! :) This emoticon doesn't cover it!

I am coming back from a kidney infection, then antibiotic reaction which trashed my gut, and then cellulitis infection and food sensitivity induced eczema. Omg! I have felt so embarrassed by the 50 lbs I gained back from so many courses of antibiotics and steroids for my skin. I have been very depressed. I don't always feel pain right away, and a year and a half ago I dislocated my left leg. I didn't know it for about six months when I went in to see my chiropractor for my arm and he looked at me and said, how can you walk on that? :eek: I have been in PT/ chiro care and I am now cleared for take off! Yippee and omg I need to lose 98 lbs. :( But, I know I can, and I will, and Cathe is always there for us.

I know we can do this!

Wow, you have been through a lot yourself! Do you know how you dislocated your leg? That sounds excruciating! :eek: My mom has had cellulitis due to diabetes a couple of times, and it is NO JOKE. She nearly died twice from that, once because the doctor gave her a massive overdose of antibiotics and shut down her kidneys. :( But she's built like a Panzer, so she amazingly bounced back.

I had three or four kidney stones (one of which required three surgeries to remove...don't ask!) in my twenties, so I understand that kidney pain. OMG, does that suck. Those kidney things can hit you like a ton of bricks out of the blue, too! I was moved incorrectly after one of those surgeries and my back/neck has never been quite the same since. I think something about all the surgeries and trauma involved with dealing with the medical industry (a true nightmare) set off my fibromyalgia. Then I had a bad fall, landing directly on my right knee, in Dec. '08. That halted every workout effort immediately, and I avoided exercise for a long time to come. I was an absolute moron and did not do PT because work was pressuring me to get back onboard full-time + work overtime, and I needed the income, so I caved. Then I had a head injury in a car accident in Feb. '11. (All this by the time I was thirty years old. I felt like Job in the Bible, I swear...)

I had gained 80 lbs. or so after my fibromylagia diagnosis. I was put on the new Rx miracle of the moment, a med with a (then-unknown) side effect of massive weight gain. :( I put on another 40 or so from just being massively under-active and realistically, over-medicated. I was in so much pain and so fatigued, I really didn't fight it all as I should have. Then again, who can work out or get proactive about very much when unloading a dishwasher is excruciating? And I certainly had a nice little sweet tooth going from about birth, and genes to get really big. No wonder I got to the size I did.

But through some sort of miracle I still don't quite understand, things changed. I got laid off from my job in late 2011, started college about a year later. That alone was a healing experience. I altered my nutrition completely. I went off a lot of the medication. I began exercising 5-6 days a week after I lost 80 lbs. from eating better. I did it through the knee and back pain, and just set my mind to rebuilding my health. Some people think it must be so difficult to make almost-daily exercise a priority, but really...working out is often the highlight of my day! :)

I digress. My point is that I lost those 120 lbs., plus another 40 or so. It CAN be done! If I could lose 160, you can lose 98. ;) I believe in you.

I know we can do this!
I know exactly how you feel. I've been on corticosteroids now for about 12-13 yrs and have the "buffalo hump" to prove it. I didn't start gaining the weight until after my rotator cuff repair and could not move my arm for 2 months, which makes even walking sometimes difficult due to balance issues. Then I injured my lower back about a year after that and now 2 yrs or so later, I have gained 50lbs. It seems like every time I get on track, I get derailed. I'm determined to lose the weight, eat better, and move more no matter what. I keep trying to get off my meds but cannot and even a few of my docs say it will be almost impossible to lose the weight, but now I am even more determined to do this. So hopefully with my determination, Cathe, and all the forums and Cathletes I will get this done.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.