Have you found any treatments or procedures that help sagging skin on the face?

BAM

Cathlete
Hi everyone! I've been away from the forums for a bit. You know, stress, life, stress, life and more stress. :( Although I've been working on easing the stress, it has taken its toll on my body. I've taken care of my skin for the vast majority of my life and always looked younger than my chronological years. Unfortunately I haven't been able to maintain that with all that's been going on in my life plus, with my finances challenged, I had to be very mindful of the cost of anything. I still have to be cost conscious but I was hoping that some of you may have some great suggestions for either over the counter products or perhaps some dermatological treatments that really can help tighten the skin on your face. I'm feeling very depressed every time I look in the mirror because it's getting worse and I know there are things that I'm sure can help and hopefully are affordable. I do have hormone imbalances which I am addressing with my physician and perhaps that will help when I find the right doses and combination for me. But, I would like to be able to find other things that can help and that I can research and find the best price on.

If you have any suggestions for any type of treatments, please let me know as I want to know that there is hope. :)

Thanks so much!
Bam

Hi Bam, the only two things that really work are Retin A and vitaman C plus E plus Ferulic Acid. You can get a cheap version of Retin A from Northwest Pharmacy.com, and you can get the C serum for cheap from amazon.com. If you use the Retin A at night, you need to use a heavey moisturizer. I myself use Renova which is a little bit milder. Of course, block the sun at all times. I hope this helps.

Hi Bam,
I have always looked older than my chronological years so we're at opposite ends of the spectrum;) I recently had an IPL facial and was very pleased with the results. It is a laser treatment that is supposed to stimulate collagen production, help reverse sun damage, remove brown spots, tighten skin, etc. You may be able to get one on Groupon but be sure you go to someone reputable with up- to -date equipment. HTH!

Hi Bam, the only two things that really work are Retin A and vitaman C plus E plus Ferulic Acid. You can get a cheap version of Retin A from Northwest Pharmacy.com, and you can get the C serum for cheap from amazon.com. If you use the Retin A at night, you need to use a heavey moisturizer. I myself use Renova which is a little bit milder. Of course, block the sun at all times. I hope this helps.

Thanks for responding. Does the Retin A actually firm up the skin or does it just smooth it out? I'll have to look into Renova as I haven't heard of that as well as Ferulic Acid.

Hi Bam,
I have always looked older than my chronological years so we're at opposite ends of the spectrum;) I recently had an IPL facial and was very pleased with the results. It is a laser treatment that is supposed to stimulate collagen production, help reverse sun damage, remove brown spots, tighten skin, etc. You may be able to get one on Groupon but be sure you go to someone reputable with up- to -date equipment. HTH!

Glad you found something that worked for you! Can you tell me how much the treatment was and was there any down time, redness, reaction, etc. to it? Is it suggested to have several treatments in a certain period of time for optimal results? Thanks for the information!

The treatment was $350.00. No downtime for me anyway. One of my gf's had a lot of brown pigment come to the surface of the skin, so she stayed in for a day or two. I believe you can have three treatments for three months. I was pleased with my initial result, so didn't opt for more treatments, however, I am planning on having another one because my naturopath is having a special on them;)

Did the laser treatment hurt (asks the wimp)? What does IPL stand for? That sounds interesting. I wonder how you find someone with the equipment in your area? How long do the results last? So curious about this. My dermatologist recommended a fractel laser for tightening and growing collegen. Haven't tried it yet.

Got a facial the other day and the annestitian (sp) said when I told her I was using retinol that it thins your skin and you end up with very thin, sensitive skin... not sure how correct that is.

Hi Exercise-lover, No, the treatment didn't hurt. IPL stands for Intense Pulse Light, I think:confused: I believe any reputable dermatologist or laser skin center will have the equipment. The fractal or C02 laser is much more invasive and very costly....I think anywhere from $2,000.00 and up. There is probably a week of down-time involved with the fractal laser, whereas, there is none with the IPL. Honestly, if I could afford the fractal, I would probably go that route, but it's not really an option for me and I was very pleased with the IPL treatment. HTH!:)

Got a facial the other day and the annestitian (sp) said when I told her I was using retinol that it thins your skin and you end up with very thin, sensitive skin... not sure how correct that is.

I've been using retinol day and night creams that I found at Ulta. I'll have to look into this and maybe switch to something else if that's the case. Thanks for mentioning this Deb!

Thanks Cher54 for the info!

Hmmm, I'd certainly be interested in knowing if that's true about the retinol creams. Please let us know if you find anything out.

Has anyone used the Derma Wand or something similar that's supposed to help wrinkles and tighten the skin? There are several of these types of items sold and the reviews, of course, are mixed. They certainly would be a less expensive alternative to a dr.'s treatment.

Hi Bam,
Check out HOTANDFLASHY ON YOU-TUBE, she has some great tips on skin care and makeup using over the counter products. If you look at her beginning videos you will notice her incredible results from 2 years till now by using retinol, vitamin c and other over the counter products. Check her out!

Thanks lulu68! I'm looking at them right now and there are quite a few of them. If anyone finds one they particularly like, please post it as I will do the same!

Thanks again!

Anyone try Rodan and Fields' line of facial products? I keep seeing more and more people talk about them on FB and the great results they are getting with their products.

Retin A and/or Renova does almost everything. They help the skin produce more collagen, and they also help smooth the lines out. It might take about four to six months for you to see the results. Once you use Renova, it does not matter what kind moisturizier you use as long as it is much heavier in the colder months. I also see nothing wrong with having any kind of surgery, but, of course, surgery can help. If you can afford it, I see nothing wrong with trying to look and staying young.

I'm so sorry to hear you've gone through such stressful times. I hope that's behind you now. I also had some experiences in the past that when I came out the other end I thought it had taken 10 years off my life. I'm glad you're finally on this end and I hope things continue to improve.

I use Retin-a. I had also heard that it makes skin thinner, so I asked my dermatologist about it (she specializes in aging skin). She said no, it doesn't, that I actually helps skin maintain the thickness/structure it has. She said Retin-A and broad spectrum sunscreen are the gold standard for treating/preventing aging skin topically. Oh, Botox is great, too, but for certain wrinkles, not sagging that I know of. And of course, if you move past topical treatment, there's lasers and surgery. Topical treatments offer some improvement and help delay wrinkles/sagging, but won't permanently and dramatically undo existing wrinkles and sagging (sad, but true).

I've been using Retin-A for at least 15 years (and used it for about another 10 when I was much younger). I get comments that my skin looks great. It's hard for me to believe, because I used to have terrible acne and still get breakouts, but I've heard it enough now that I guess the Retin-A is working at least some form of magic. For me, the proof is in the pudding.

Having said that, I think the number one overlooked factor in having good skin (face and body) is nutrition and exercise. There's not much money to be made by companies talking about this, but I think it's a huge factor, especially increasing veggies and decreasing sugar consumption. Since you're a Cathelete, my guess is you are already pretty good in this regard.

Oh, one last thing. If you get Retin-A, start with the lowest dose (.025) and get it in cream form. It's much less expensive than Renova, but is the same thing. I had been using Renova, but my derm switched me to this and it works the same. I now use .05% and sometimes 1% (yep, still get breakouts and Retin-A is great for that), and you can also get that in a cream base.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Skinceuticals makes a Vitamin C plus E plus Ferulic Acid, but it is very expensive, and you can get a much cheaper one on amazon.

Skinceuticals makes a Vitamin C plus E plus Ferulic Acid, but it is very expensive, and you can get a much cheaper one on amazon.

I have been using the skinceuticals but would love to find a cheaper alternative. Do you have a link for the Amazon product?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.