Shoe recommended for new workouts

It is finally okay, but I do have to say it was not easy. Is there a reason we have to sign in every time we return? Has there been abuse here? Thank you.

It is okay now, thank you. I just ordered Ryka studio shoes from 6pm.com, and their prices are terrific. I think that Asics are the best running shoe. I am a small woman with high arches.

I am looking into buying new shoes and wanted to know which Nike shoe(s) Cathe and the gang will be using.

I need lateral support and cushion.

If SNM does not reply, can anyone recommend a good cross-training shoe that can be used for all of the elements applied in the new series (weights, hiit, step, low-impact, etc.)?

Thank you.

runathon, I always noticed that Cathe used to use Ryka's, so I tried them and I thought they were awesome!! I have very small feet, size 6. I like New Balance for weight training and I agree with CDPotier that Asics are the best running shoes. I would also like to try Nike, as well. As long as any athletic shoe is well made with good support and good heel cushion, works for me!!

Just want to add to the forums I bought Ryka Tenacity (supposedly the "new Downbeat") and I have found it inferior to the Downbeat overall. I do train barefoot a lot because it works great for me. (I am a supinator, so I'd have to wear a flexible shoe - neutral as opposed to stability shoe - anyway.) However, my Achilles tendon had been acting up, not an uncommon problem with barefoot training. So I wore Downbeat, sans insoles, until my pair wore out. I wear an 11B and Downbeat was sold out everywhere in that size. Tenacity looks lot like it. Hi-top, ankle support, approximately the same shape. Below I've listed the differences I experienced.

Pros
1. Cushioning seems better out of the box than when my Downbeats were new (with insoles).
2. Lots of color options, and cute ones at that.
3. Nice long, strong shoelaces- makes different lacing options for different foot types much easier.
4. It is a hi-top, which gives better ankle support than the more common low shoes today, although I found this style's ankle support is different in looks and feels inferior to the Downbeat. Nonetheless, it is better at supporting the ankles than most of what I see out there today for women.
5. There is a pivot point on the bottom- however, once again the tread felt inferior to Downbeat. Downbeat seemed to pivot more easily, maybe because it weighed less. I work out on carpeted flooring, though. Maybe people with hard floors wouldn't notice the lack of pivoting prowess as much. At least the tread is good for a variety of activities, though.
6. Size felt true. It is forgiving. Laces are easy to adjust, allowing for thicker or thinner socks. Great if you have issues with swelling, high arches or a high instep and need extra depth.
7. Insole is easy to remove; it's not glued in like in some shoes.

Cons (comparing it to the Downbeat)
1. It feels heavier than Downbeat by quite a bit. I felt like I was wearing an ankle weight of about 2 lbs on each foot with this shoe. I'm already ginormous in foot size and body size, so I need this like I need a hole in the head...
2. The front of the shoe is not as smooth or low on Tenacity as the Downbeat. It can catch on a step. I noticed the change. I nearly tripped once because the toe caught the step. This didn't happen with the Downbeat.
3. While the cushioning is better because the sole and insole seem thicker than the Downbeat, this means less feel for the ground underneath one's feet. For the average person, this probably doesn't mean much. For me it is a deal-breaker. I have nerve damage in a couple of my toes and my larger feet mean I need to be able to feel the step or floor very carefully to avoid tripping.
4. Whether it was the thicker sole, the heavier weight, or something else entirely, it left my feet aching and made my workouts less dynamic. I really thought it might just be me...but reviews on Amazon indicate several people (ones far thinner than me) had the same experience. I had to kick them off after half my workout, or I simply could not go on because of lower leg/foot fatigue. This is NOT normal for me.
5. Good toe room (and a better shoe shape in this area than the Downbeat, I might add), but as is so common now, the heel area is big in proportion to that. I have a wider forefoot and not-so-tiny ankles, so I don't mind. If you have narrow feet, little ankles or teeny heels, this is probably NOT the shoe for you, not without adding a tongue pad anyway.

It is getting so hard to find studio shoes that support a variety of activities and give enough ankle support, while having tread that works well for dance-based moves AND still provide cushioning. I am back to barefoot for now, because otherwise my cardio workouts really suffer. I worry about my Achilles tendon a bit, but I'm willing to take the chance.

It is okay now, thank you. I just ordered Ryka studio shoes from 6pm.com, and their prices are terrific. I think that Asics are the best running shoe. I am a small woman with high arches.

Have you tried out the Ryka studio shoes yet, CDPotier? If so, how are they working out for you?

As strange as this sounds I have been having my best workouts with Nike Running shoes. Their 5.0 Free and 5.0 Free V.4 style too. Studio shoes these days are not what they used to be and so I've had to venture out and find a new favorite type of shoe. We all have such unique feet. Some of us with high arches, some flat feet, some narrow, some wide, some pronate etc....there is really no way to recommend a specific shoe for that reason. But I can give a general recommendation that worked for me and the suggest you go try it on for size (literally) and fit and see what you think. Good Luck!
Wow! A running shoe? Really? I am shocked. It is true that it is impossible to find a good studio shoe in recent years. Ryka should be ashamed of the poor quality shoes they now produce, they were once the best out there. I always thought a running shoe would have too wide of a base and too much grip to do your workouts. For sure, they would not work on the step, but perhaps with the high impact Hiit and Tabata style workouts they would be good as running shoes tend to have a lot of cushioning and return. Hey, you are the fitness guru so I will follow your advice. Thank you!! Also, many thanks for the many, many years of fantastic workouts. You have kept me moving with a smile on my face. Some days I curse you, but most days I love you!. Wink. Please keep doing what you do!!

Wow! A running shoe? Really? I am shocked. It is true that it is impossible to find a good studio shoe in recent years. Ryka should be ashamed of the poor quality shoes they now produce, they were once the best out there. I always thought a running shoe would have too wide of a base and too much grip to do your workouts. For sure, they would not work on the step, but perhaps with the high impact Hiit and Tabata style workouts they would be good as running shoes tend to have a lot of cushioning and return. Hey, you are the fitness guru so I will follow your advice. Thank you!! Also, many thanks for the many, many years of fantastic workouts. You have kept me moving with a smile on my face. Some days I curse you, but most days I love you!. Wink. Please keep doing what you do!!

I just cannot do step workouts in a running shoe. I work out on carpet, which makes the grip of running shoes awful even for non-step workouts.

Cathe has small, narrow feet and is petite in frame. Not to mention that she is insanely fit and probably has some of the best proprioception on the planet. :) I wonder if all of that put together (along with working out on wood floors and having so many years of teaching under the belt) makes working out in running sneakers fairly easy for her? Her arches also look nice and normal. If someone has flat feet or high arches, I don't know if running shoes would work. I would think the lack of lateral support in (most) running shoes could be problematic with either one of those arch types.

However, I will say that if I could get my Saucony shoes as they are on the inside with the tread of a studio shoe on the outside, I'd be in heaven! The type of Saucony shoes I buy for my supination have an interior that is utterly perfect, including for lateral movement. But I cannot find a supination studio shoe, and Saucony has yet to make a studio shoe for any foot type to the best of my knowledge. Sigh.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.