Step Recommendations

geojill

Cathlete
I've been away from the Cathe workouts and forum for a few years now and am just coming back to it. I did basic step yesterday and realized that step is a lot of fun! I have the two step videos from the beginner's rotation, basic step and low impact step.

What are some good step workouts that are fun but do not have complex choreography? I'd like to add to what I've got but am not interested in the really complex step workouts.

Well, I just read through some of the 'I hate step' thread below and got a few suggestions. If anyone has other suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks!

I recommend trying Cathe On Demand for a month to see what you like. Then you can purchase some DVDs or you may choose to stay with On Demand.

You'll also get Cathe Live, and I feel all the Live step workouts have at most moderately complex choreography. They're also super fun!

Other titles that come to mind are:
Athletic Step
Party Rockin Step 2
Imax 2 (toughie with interval blasts)

Also I think some of her earlier stuff is on the simpler side, but I don't know those as well. Maybe someone else can chime in about those?

But I suggest trying before you buy with a month or so of On Demand for sure... step workout preferences vary so much between individuals!
HTH,
Roz

I like LIC (Low Impact Circuit). The combos are easy to learn with Cathe's great cuing. Good premixes too.

From the older workouts, I like Step Fit, Cardio and Wts (which is very fun step), agree with Nathalie about all of the Imax 1,2 , and 3, and the step section of Maximum Intensity Cardio. Easier choreography, sometimes takes one time through but usually no more to learn.

I agree with Low Impact Circuit, and Lo Max is one to try. I would stay away from any of the Imax's as the jumping might be too much for some. The Cardio from Cardio and Weights is also very nice.

Imax3 can feel brutal depending on your fitness level.
It is mainly plyo and moves are not choreographed IMO.

Step segment from INTENSITY.

YES!!! IMAX3 is tough! Definitely harder than IMAX2. I do it with 2 risers and it is KILLER. Simple choreography though, and easy to follow.

I've been away from the Cathe workouts and forum for a few years now and am just coming back to it. I did basic step yesterday and realized that step is a lot of fun! I have the two step videos from the beginner's rotation, basic step and low impact step.

What are some good step workouts that are fun but do not have complex choreography? I'd like to add to what I've got but am not interested in the really complex step workouts.

This might be slightly OT (apologies if it is), but to learn more complex choreography with less injury potential, I always practice the routines first without using a step. I just "pretend" I'm stepping on and off the step while doing the workout. One's heart rate might not climb up as much, but I believe it's safer and better in the long run, at least for me. There's plenty of time to make it intense later. Once the moves are fairly well-rehearsed (maybe after three to five workouts, depending upon how hard it is), the brain is better wired to move to that choreography without tripping. I think some muscle memory also takes over. You're more acclimated to Cathe's cues by then. I personally can let the audio direction take over, as opposed to having to rely on watching her as much. (Having to look at the screen constantly and look at the step can be tricky with harder routines!) It's simply a trick I use to handle learning more complex routines while minimizing any danger to myself. Tripping over a step with my two left feet is no fun, LOL. Everything can be modified. :)

I like Step Moves and Step Max, by the way!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.