The Carb Nite Diet-anyone heard of this rediculous diet ??

morgs

Cathlete
Morning all: It's been a while since I have posted, but had to put this out there. I have a few friends who have been talking about AND doing what's called ' The Carb Nite Diet' Out of curiosity, I looked it up online and could NOT believe what this diet/book is telling people to do. The first things that I read ( which I listed below ) were the most ludicrous and insane things I have ever read. Never in my life have I ever read or did a diet that says it's 'ok' to stuff yourself with Burgers, Fries, Pasta, Pizza and Krispy Crème ( of all things ) RIGHT before you go to bed. I realize the phrase that pays: "To Each Their Own" but does anyone else out there agree with me on how absolutely damaging this type of diet can be? I've gotten in arguments about it with friends who swear by it. It's definitely not something that's sustainable for life like Eating Clean: I know it's been out there for a while, but I STILL can't believe people are not getting hospitalized by this crappy way of eating.

Start With a 10-Day Recalibration Prime your body to use fat for energy instead of carbs and stop all the processes that make it easy to store carbs as fat. You do this by following an ultra-low-carb diet for 10 days. Eat 30 grams of carbs or fewer per day (approximately one piece of fruit or a small serving of oatmeal). Any starches and sweets in your meals must be extremely limited.
2) Enjoy a Carb Nite On the evening of your 10th day, starting around 5 p.m., begin eating carbs. Your discipline can take a hiatus: eat pasta, pizza, french fries, or any other sugary/starchy carbs you can get your hands on. Want brownies or Krispy Kreme doughnuts? Go for it. High-glycemic carb sources like these are
actually better choices than sweet potatoes and rice.

Still in shock. ~Morgs~

I've been doing this since September. I've lost my last 15 lbs. My belly fat is gone. I have my abs back. Kiefer is a physicist. It sounds ridiculous, however it has been a tremendous eating plan for me. I feel great. The older I get, the less carbs I need. I'm also gluten intolerant, so steering clear of grain is not a big deal for me. If people want to eat donuts, and all kinds of sugary things, I guess they can. But, I do enjoy my spaghetti (gluten free) and meatballs. So many foods to choose, so little time. Love it. It's called "The Carb Nite Solution."

Last edited:
I've been doing this since September. I've lost my last 15 lbs. My belly fat is gone. I have my abs back. Kiefer is a physicist. It sounds ridiculous, however it has been a tremendous eating plan for me. I feel great. The older I get, the less carbs I need. If people want to eat donuts, and all kinds of sugary things, I guess they can. But, I do enjoy my spaghetti and meatballs. So many foods to choose, so little time. Love it. It's called "The Carb Nite Solution."

Hi Karen
Did you find it difficult to follow? I don't necessarily want to force carbs but I saw a similar plan that seemed to be very rigid and no carb to start and then one night of all carbs. Is there a way to balance it?
Thanks,
Liz

Hi Karen
Did you find it difficult to follow? I don't necessarily want to force carbs but I saw a similar plan that seemed to be very rigid and no carb to start and then one night of all carbs. Is there a way to balance it?
Thanks,
Liz

I don't find it difficult at all. I keep my carbs below 30 gm a day, I'm never hungry. I have my bulletproof coffee in the morning, (sometimes bacon and eggs) I eat my lunch, maybe some meat and cheese and a small salad. At night I have my dinner. The diet is fairly high in good fats, and protein. Just had a physical. My physician told me my cholesterol is great. It may sound ridiculous, and it's definitely not for everyone. But, it has worked for me. It's recommended that you use it for six months, then take a break for a month, and start it again if you want. My six months will be March. I'll definitely do it again. My carb nite is Friday. I work four, ten hour days, so Friday is a day off work for me. So I work out about 2:00 pm. when I finish my workout. I have a meal that is high in carbs. Then I snack on high carb foods until I go to bed. The rest of the week until the next Friday is carbs below 30 gm a day.

http://official.thecarbnitesolution.org/ explains it a little. There are also spots on you tube.

Last edited:
Wow, I have to admit, when i first read the description provided by Morgs I also thought that's crap! Karen I'm envious of your body's response to this although I know I wouldn't be able to function or do my intense workouts on such a low amounts of carbs. And I'm a bit of a sugar addict so have to steer clear and that one day of donuts would throw me right back onto that sugar train!!

Wow, I have to admit, when i first read the description provided by Morgs I also thought that's crap! Karen I'm envious of your body's response to this although I know I wouldn't be able to function or do my intense workouts on such a low amounts of carbs. And I'm a bit of a sugar addict so have to steer clear and that one day of donuts would throw me right back onto that sugar train!!
Jamie: That's what I thought as well. I have been working out and studying nutrition for over 14 years and ANYTIME you eliminate a 'food group' , you WILL lose weight. Fast. However, the question has to come up on whether it's sustainable for LIFE. I tried something similar about a year ago ( The High Fat -No Carb Diet ) and all it did was mess with my metabolism-horribly. I need something that I can not only work for me NOW ( at 42 years of age ) , but also work for me when I am 65 years old. For me, since my work outs are very difficult ( I do an hour of Hiit 5-6 days a week), I need those carbs to sustain energy. I get MUCH better energy from a bowl of oatmeal, than a piece of cheese & slab of meat. Like I mentioned earlier though, to each their own. :) Still looking for that justification on eating a Krispy Crème donut at 5pm at night. Yikes. ( I'll stick with Tosca Reno ) ;)

I'm well over 42, and I don't do an hour of Hiit 5-6 days a week. However, I'm naturally strong, and do lift very heavy 4-6 days a week, and have done so for 30 years. I have found the older I get the less carbs I need. I don't eat sugar, and donuts, and pie etc. I steer clear of sugar. But I do love my GOOD meal on Friday night.
So, you are absolutely right. "To each their own."

Last edited:
I've been doing this since September. I've lost my last 15 lbs. My belly fat is gone. I have my abs back. Kiefer is a physicist. It sounds ridiculous, however it has been a tremendous eating plan for me. I feel great. The older I get, the less carbs I need. If people want to eat donuts, and all kinds of sugary things, I guess they can. But, I do enjoy my spaghetti and meatballs. So many foods to choose, so little time. Love it. It's called "The Carb Nite Solution."

Karen, amazing results! Glad you found something that works for you and makes you feel good! :D I've found that I need a higher ratio of protein and fats in my diet as well, although at this stage in life (pregnancy aside) I do still feel better with more than 30gms of carbs a day. But that will probably change over time like everything else in life seems to change over time. For example, I used to think that full fat dairy was the devil, and now I can't imagine life without my daily dose of full fat plain greek yogurt!

Lisa

Karen-- do you think during the reduce carbs part of the diet you are eating less calories and that could explain part of the weight loss?

Possibly. However during the week I pretty much eat all the protein I want. Like I stated before, I'm never hungry. Two cups of salad greens, spinach kale etc. has maybe 2 gm of carbs. I have chicken, or boiled eggs in my salad. Delicious, and satisfying.

Karen

God I wish I could experience that feeling of never being hungry LOL!! There was a time in my life where I did restrict carbs/ calories and worked out like a maniac but eventually I just wanted to eat normally and not have to count anything. This did result in a few pounds gained but I will say I'm in a better state mentally and as long as I can keep doing my workouts I'm happy. Like you say Morgs, it was not sustainable for me but everyone's different.

I haven't looked into this program, but my first thought was that if you only binge on junk once every 10 days, you probably won't do that much damage! I think I could probably have been successful on this when I was younger, but in my 50s, I find that I don't tolerate extremes (too much junk food/alcohol at one end of the spectrum vs. intermittent fasting at the other end) as well as I used to.

Stebby

I'm in the middle of reading this book. I already follow a similar lifestyle. I gave up the carbs. I eat fat. I lift weights. I do very little cardio. I am never hungry. I have tons of energy. I don't have sugar cravings, this was big for me!! I eat way more vegetables than I used to. This is the easiest "diet". I don't miss those "beige" foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, bread. I get my fix once a week, that's all I need. Although, I have been eating higher than 30g of carbs, I quite like fruit so I will have one piece a day, and I also like to have a drink a day. The book does a great job at explaining why this works: the science, yes, science...Kiefer is a physicist. Before you write this off as a gimmick, try reading it and other books like Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It, Primal Blueprint, even Wheat Belly. If you change the way you eat, however, you can't be doing endless amounts of cardio, you need to change your workouts. And these books will explain why!

I'm in the middle of reading this book. I already follow a similar lifestyle. I gave up the carbs. I eat fat. I lift weights. I do very little cardio. I am never hungry. I have tons of energy. I don't have sugar cravings, this was big for me!! I eat way more vegetables than I used to. This is the easiest "diet". I don't miss those "beige" foods like rice, potatoes, pasta, bread. I get my fix once a week, that's all I need. Although, I have been eating higher than 30g of carbs, I quite like fruit so I will have one piece a day, and I also like to have a drink a day. The book does a great job at explaining why this works: the science, yes, science...Kiefer is a physicist. Before you write this off as a gimmick, try reading it and other books like Why We Get Fat and What To Do About It, Primal Blueprint, even Wheat Belly. If you change the way you eat, however, you can't be doing endless amounts of cardio, you need to change your workouts. And these books will explain why!

Hi Skatch,

I get what you are saying about the carbs because I too have been on a lifestyle with no REFINED carbs..for years... 14 to be exact. I however, get plenty of nuts, seeds, grains, and complex carbs : Which is perfect for me and my work out routine- ( a steady combination of Hiit, cardio, and weights 5 days a week.) What I don't get about the whole program is exactly what I stated above. Why it says to wait 10 days, then at 5:00pm start gorging on pizza, pasta, fries, and krispy crème. Since when has your eating or 'cheat day' ever been 'timed' by someone else? Silly. Everyone's body processes foods differently. That is my only concern with this diet. I am not saying by any means that it does not work, or that it's impossible; What I AM stating is the dangerous amounts of fat that you consume while your are on your 'Binge Night' when you can avoid all that together and binge on good things such as what you stated above: Veggies, fruit, Grains, and etc. Stuffing in as much refined carbs & sugar in one night after going on a 'fast' is silly to me. ( I have read more then plenty of the book ) why do that, when you can simply eat clean, and enjoy a 'cheat' meal once a week ( which is what I do ) that consists of a pasta dish, gluten free pizza or something OTHER than a krispy Crème donut and fries. Like I said, to each their own, however, in the grand scheme of things: ( Don't know about any one else ) I need to follow a "lifestyle" ( Not Diet...there is a HUGE difference ) now in my 40s that I can STILL follow in my 70s ,even 80s. I can't remember the last time I saw my Grandparents binge on pizza, fries, pasta, and krispy crème , let alone right before bed. I on the flip side have also read The Skinny Bitch Diet - which is the complete opposite of Carb Nite Solution. Again..ANYTIME you eliminate a 'food group' you will lose weight. But in the wise words of Tosca Reno-once you introduce that food group back into your diet ( which you will ) you will put that weight back on -tenfold-. I've been following the Eat Clean lifestyle for years and have not gained an inch or a pound ( aside from Holidays..LOL ). I get to eat all day-which includes foods from all four 'eat clean' groups. I'll stick with that. :):):)

I've tried "clean eating" I ended up gaining weight and I was always hungry, frustrated, tired and unhappy. I would work out (cathe, swimming, or running) and I would want to gnaw my arm off because I was so hungry. I would snack all the time. (sorry 12 baby carrots and some hummus isn't making me full.) I was always feeling bloated and gross. I would eat a meal of fish, broccoli and "healthy whole grain" brown rice and be hungry 30min later. The "lifestyle" I follow now is more of a primal/paleo lifestyle. I still eat some fruit and plain full fat yogurt and I like a drink too. And I have been having my own "carb nite supper" since I started eating this way, last April. I don't plan to go back to eating "healthy whole grains". It goes back to primate days when they didn't process wheat to eat bread or cook beans for hours. Turns out the more carbs you eat, the hungrier you get and the more you crave! Doesn't matter if it's brown rice or brown sugar, your body does't know! So silly!! Kiefer's book is based on 7000 scientific studies, it references 1700 supportive research papers. Crazy!! I have not yet tried going to 30 grams of carbs a day. I am still in the middle reading this book! What Kiefer is saying is it takes 10 days to deplete your carb/glucose stores and start fat burning. Carb night spikes hormones and accelerates fat burning. It revs your metabolism for 4 days following carb nite. You don't have to start your carb night at 5pm, you can start at noon. He says you need to have a full 6-8 hours of substantial carb intake to reap the benefits of the hormone spike. As for the cardio, it's just going to accelerate muscle loss, this diet is not for marathon training. I also don't remember my Grandparents getting up and going for a run every morning. As for regaining weight, Kiefer explains that you might gain weight, but it won't be fat. You will store carbs and water for about a week. Unless you are overeating carbs and with a lot of fat, that will make you fat again. BTW-it's ok to have saturated fat now. First and foremost, I suggest you read Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It.

I've tried "clean eating" I ended up gaining weight and I was always hungry, frustrated, tired and unhappy. I would work out (cathe, swimming, or running) and I would want to gnaw my arm off because I was so hungry. I would snack all the time. (sorry 12 baby carrots and some hummus isn't making me full.) I was always feeling bloated and gross. I would eat a meal of fish, broccoli and "healthy whole grain" brown rice and be hungry 30min later. The "lifestyle" I follow now is more of a primal/paleo lifestyle. I still eat some fruit and plain full fat yogurt and I like a drink too. And I have been having my own "carb nite supper" since I started eating this way, last April. I don't plan to go back to eating "healthy whole grains". It goes back to primate days when they didn't process wheat to eat bread or cook beans for hours. Turns out the more carbs you eat, the hungrier you get and the more you crave! Doesn't matter if it's brown rice or brown sugar, your body does't know! So silly!! Kiefer's book is based on 7000 scientific studies, it references 1700 supportive research papers. Crazy!! I have not yet tried going to 30 grams of carbs a day. I am still in the middle reading this book! What Kiefer is saying is it takes 10 days to deplete your carb/glucose stores and start fat burning. Carb night spikes hormones and accelerates fat burning. It revs your metabolism for 4 days following carb nite. You don't have to start your carb night at 5pm, you can start at noon. He says you need to have a full 6-8 hours of substantial carb intake to reap the benefits of the hormone spike. As for the cardio, it's just going to accelerate muscle loss, this diet is not for marathon training. I also don't remember my Grandparents getting up and going for a run every morning. As for regaining weight, Kiefer explains that you might gain weight, but it won't be fat. You will store carbs and water for about a week. Unless you are overeating carbs and with a lot of fat, that will make you fat again. BTW-it's ok to have saturated fat now. First and foremost, I suggest you read Why We Get Fat And What To Do About It.

Couldn't have stated it better. We're not eliminating anything. Just not eating it every day.

Understood & Well written. The bottom line is, if you find something that works and you get your Dr's 'thumbs up' that right there is the goal. Finding an eating plan that doesn't leave you starving, or gaining weight IS a though thing to do. As long as you are healthy and are at the weight and size you want , that is the key.:) I agree with the occasional drink because I too have a glass of wine every day. I can live without the cheesecake ( sometimes , lol.) , but not my wine. ;)

Too bad my carb night would end up with poor choices of sugary desserts and then I'd wonder why my cravings were out of control LOL!! I'm glad some of you have found this method of eating helpful. Next time I'm at our book store I'll check this one out though, sounds like a very interesting read.

I have dessert on my carb night, the author encourages it! As long as you wake up the next day back to 'no carbs" you will be fine and you won't have the cravings. Trust me I have a HUGE sweet tooth!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.