Coconut Milk??

firemedic

Cathlete
I have never used coconut milk in anything and I am trying to change some ingredients when cooking. I've been online and noticed that a lot of coconut milk and oil is used. I found the coconut oil at the store but I don't know about the milk. Is it the canned in the oriental area or is it refrigerated? If it is the canned, is there any out there that is from USA and not Asia? I'm trying to eliminate the dairy (milk & butter) from certain food I make for dinner and not sure what to use. Any help/suggestions would be great.

Kim

If you're looking for a drinking milk replacement, go refrigerated. If you want something to cook with, go canned (it's unsweetened and you can get regular for richer milk or light if you want to go lighter). TJs has a light canned coconut milk at a good price and all TJs-brand canned products are BPA-free. Soy or almond milks are also good subs, but if you want to cook with them, be sure to get unsweetened plain -- no one wants vanilla in their macaroni! ;)
Coconut oil is excellent for cooking and roasting as it has a high smoke point (unlike olive oil and many other oils that change their composition and aren't as good for you when heated to high temps -- not 100% clear on this but I think they essentially turn into trans fats around 350 degrees Fahrenheit). I love the taste of coconut oil, but if you don't want something to be coconutty, avocado oil also has a high smoke point but is neutral in flavor. Both have good-for-you fats!
HTH!

Thanks for all the info. I just wasn't sure about the canned vs refrigerated. Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder how the oil will taste with chicken? I guess I'll find out soon when I make some for myself.

Thanks for all the info. I just wasn't sure about the canned vs refrigerated. Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder how the oil will taste with chicken? I guess I'll find out soon when I make some for myself.

Coconut oil lovers would say it's great with chicken, but of course tastes are so individual. If you want to give it test run, I would suggest cooking the chicken with earthy-sweet flavors (e.g., carrots, raisins, cumin) that will complement and not be overpowered by the coconut oil.

A favorite use for coconut milk is gado gado -- a savory sauce made with coconut milk (fine to use light coconut milk) and peanut butter (or almond butter, if you prefer). You can simmer anything in it and serve with a grain, pasta, or starchy vegetable.
I don't have a recipe handy (I just wing it) but you can find many online.

If you're looking for a drinking milk replacement, go refrigerated. If you want something to cook with, go canned (it's unsweetened and you can get regular for richer milk or light if you want to go lighter). TJs has a light canned coconut milk at a good price and all TJs-brand canned products are BPA-free. Soy or almond milks are also good subs, but if you want to cook with them, be sure to get unsweetened plain -- no one wants vanilla in their macaroni! ;)
Coconut oil is excellent for cooking and roasting as it has a high smoke point (unlike olive oil and many other oils that change their composition and aren't as good for you when heated to high temps -- not 100% clear on this but I think they essentially turn into trans fats around 350 degrees Fahrenheit). I love the taste of coconut oil, but if you don't want something to be coconutty, avocado oil also has a high smoke point but is neutral in flavor. Both have good-for-you fats!
HTH!

Thanks!!

Coconut oil lovers would say it's great with chicken, but of course tastes are so individual. If you want to give it test run, I would suggest cooking the chicken with earthy-sweet flavors (e.g., carrots, raisins, cumin) that will complement and not be overpowered by the coconut oil.

A favorite use for coconut milk is gado gado -- a savory sauce made with coconut milk (fine to use light coconut milk) and peanut butter (or almond butter, if you prefer). You can simmer anything in it and serve with a grain, pasta, or starchy vegetable.
I don't have a recipe handy (I just wing it) but you can find many online.
Thanks for the tips. I just bought some different squash at the farmers market this am, so maybe I'll try the chicken with one of those. I do eat a lot of chicken so it's great trying new things with it because it's so easy to work with.

Coconut oil is like magic. ;) It works well for just about everything, and it's great for cooking because it has a high smoke point. Try cooking your eggs in it. Yummy!!

I use canned coconut milk (full fat) as non-dairy creamer and also in Thai dishes if I'm too lazy to make my own. If you are so inclined to DIY, and you own a high-powered blender, you can make your own coconut milk from dried, unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes. All you do is put your shredded coconut into your blender and cover with just enough hot water. Blend well, and then let the mixture become cool enough to handle. Strain mixture in a nut milk bag, and there you have it.... Coconut milk! Easy, delicious, and preservative-free. :)

Anyone having a hard time finding unsweetened coconut flakes? I was at Trader Joe's last night and all they had were the sweetened ones. :(

I buy from the bulk bins at Wegman's Market mostly, and occasionally Whole Foods. Giant Supermarket carries packaged brands. Amazon is a good online option, as is Vitacost. :)

Coconut oil is like magic. ;) It works well for just about everything, and it's great for cooking because it has a high smoke point. Try cooking your eggs in it. Yummy!!

I use canned coconut milk (full fat) as non-dairy creamer and also in Thai dishes if I'm too lazy to make my own. If you are so inclined to DIY, and you own a high-powered blender, you can make your own coconut milk from dried, unsweetened coconut shreds or flakes. All you do is put your shredded coconut into your blender and cover with just enough hot water. Blend well, and then let the mixture become cool enough to handle. Strain mixture in a nut milk bag, and there you have it.... Coconut milk! Easy, delicious, and preservative-free. :)
Thanks so much, I would love to make my own when I need it.

Anyone having a hard time finding unsweetened coconut flakes? I was at Trader Joe's last night and all they had were the sweetened ones. :(

Yes! I thought for sure Trader Joes would have it but no go. After three more grocery store stops, I finally found Bobs Red Mill unsweetened flakes. I'm a coconut oil & milk newbie and looking forward to experimenting with it.

Yes! I thought for sure Trader Joes would have it but no go. After three more grocery store stops, I finally found Bobs Red Mill unsweetened flakes. I'm a coconut oil & milk newbie and looking forward to experimenting with it.
If you sign up on Bobs Red Mill website, you get monthly offers on their items. This month is 25% off baking flours. I love their whole weight flour for baking. I use a lot of Bobs Red Mill items. They have great quinoa too and so many other grains on their site that I've never even heard of. I cannot get a lot of these where I live, so I just order bulk from them.

If you sign up on Bobs Red Mill website, you get monthly offers on their items. This month is 25% off baking flours. I love their whole weight flour for baking. I use a lot of Bobs Red Mill items. They have great quinoa too and so many other grains on their site that I've never even heard of. I cannot get a lot of these where I live, so I just order bulk from them.

I bought a lot of Bobs Red Mill products at Big Lots, very cheap. Even the grocery store in our small town sells Bobs Red Mill, you usually find it in the heath section.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.