Wanting to Keep up with Rotations, but...

Berneda

I am a 50 year old female who has been working out for 25 years with weights and cardio (most of the years have been at home). I have developed arthritis in my back and have degeneration in my neck and I love the rotations and have the streaming too, but I hurt most of the time after these workouts. I don't want to stop working out. Any suggestions?

I do not have arthritis but only a few years younger. I know their are many on this site that do the workouts with chronic illness and post surgery. I personally decided to listen to my body and don't' push it beyond a pain threshold (not talking about doms but pain) If a workout is causing you pain then its time IMO to find a different form of exercise. My example was chronic tendois with bursa sac rupture (potential future cartilage depletion ) of the ankle from 25 +years of running. I didn't want to push to the point of needing surgery and you can bet those that do push are going to be in even more pain as they age. I also am a good canadate for future arthritis in those ankles

I think you can "customize" cathe workouts to fit what works for your body. I do low impact aerobic - no air jack or anything that is going to put my joints through more pain, sweeling or possible tendon rupture. I also just feel pain if I use a barbell on my upper back/neck area. I use proper form but it still hurts. I figure its just not something my neck back like. I use dumbbells and get a great workout.

I think you just need a new mindset. Yes you can keep working out and you will stay fit but its just going to look different. I absolutely could still do everyone of Cathe workouts even the IMAX stuff but I'm not going to continue to damage my body just because I still can. I will occasionally just do a full on Cathe level workout no modification and then have the swollen ankle joints to show - stop with the ego I'm 44 and plan on being independent mobile till 90+ which means taking care of the body God gave me.

Good luck, don't give up find the exercises that don't put your body in pain. It may be cathe at a slower pace. I love the weight workouts but sometimes my body says slower is better. I will pause the video and do the same rep count but at my speed. Give yourself some grace, go slower, do more breaks and find what works for your body.

post on the discussion forum and some of the regular with health issue can give you more "how to idea"

Hi Cathlete: Thanks for responding. I do have to change my mindset because I'm wondering if having the streaming is not a good idea because I want to do all the exercises (except the step exercises that I'm not into). I only have time for 1/2 to 45 min. workouts in the morning and my body seems to take a long time to recover no matter what exercise I do. I need to lose weight and gain muscle again for menopausal reasons. Can you suggest what low impact aerobics of Cathe's videos you were referring to? I try to do one day cardio and alternate with weights. My body doesn't respond well with circuits (weights with cardio).

Hi Cathlete: Thanks for responding. I do have to change my mindset because I'm wondering if having the streaming is not a good idea because I want to do all the exercises (except the step exercises that I'm not into). I only have time for 1/2 to 45 min. workouts in the morning and my body seems to take a long time to recover no matter what exercise I do. I need to lose weight and gain muscle again for menopausal reasons. Can you suggest what low impact aerobics of Cathe's videos you were referring to? I try to do one day cardio and alternate with weights. My body doesn't respond well with circuits (weights with cardio).

Cathe has a whole low impact series that I love and each dvd has premix with shorter workouts. I also like her 2 low impact workout that were with the xtrain series. I wonder with arthritis if working out in the morning with your body not being as warm is making it harder for you to recover. It may be that you need more of warmup and after stretch.

I understand wanting to loose weight but it seems like your body is in a "stress" inflammatory condition which raises cortisol and may actually keep you from loosing. Are you doing any of Cathe weight workout or are you only looking for cardio help. My first thought would be for you do some power yoga. It is gentle to do anytime and will help you body. I also found after my ankles gave out that kickboxing was easy on my joints but gave a good calorie burn.

If you want to PM me to get more specific I would love to help you. There are several on this board with arthritis and RA type that I hope will see this and give you more specific help. You may want to repost this on the OPen discussion forum which gets more views. I usallly don't look at this part of the forum. I think you would get help with those in similar health issues.

When I was told I had to stop running. I gained some weight and got a bit down. Then I found heavy weight lifting, power yoga and kickboxing. I got back in great shape. I found Cathe and her low impact cardio along with Studio Sweat Spin classes make me feel 20 years younger (big smile)

Berneda, this sounds like a good time to focus on weights! If cardio is hurting your joints and bones you may need to do low impact cardio and weights. In my thirties I developed tarsal tunnel (like carpal but in the ankle instead of the hand) and had to do low impact for quite a while (like 3 years). The best cardio exercise for me was in the pool-in the deep end treading water and using gloves on my hands for more resistance. I maintained my fitness until I finally decided to get the surgery and could do higher impact cardio again. The yoga and kickball suggestions are worth looking into and my mom had great neck pain until she started doing ti chi. She can now turn and look in the back seat without any pain! 50's is a good time to explore new options. Keep a positive outlook and I'm sure you'll find something you enjoy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.