What are your favorite workouts from The Firm?

As if I need any more DVDs in my collection, I am looking to add some intermediate-level workouts and noticed that many of The Firms are on sale at totalfitness this week. I have never, ever done a workout from The Firm but I know many people love them so I'd like to try out a few. I'm open to cardio, circuit, and toning. The only thing I'm not interested in is a compilation DVD, where several different workouts are spliced together and sold on one DVD.

So, where should I start with The Firm? Or would I just be wasting my time and money?

Thanks,

Lisa

I haven't done a Firm workout in probably 10 years, but if I remember right, the original 6 were the best IMO. I still have them, in Beta, & VHS format! :)

You will definitely not waste your time and money with the Firm. I just discovered the Firm workouts this year. I love them. They are my new shiny toy right now. There are some really awesome Firm compilations, but if you don't want them, then I would consider:

The Classics Vols 1,2,3,4: I love all of these, but 2 and 3 are my favorites. A lot of people either love or hate 3, I'm in the love camp with this one. I don't have 5 or 6, so can't speak to those.

Firm Cardio with Heidi Tanner

Firm Strength with Pam Cauthen

The Firm was what inspired me to started working out regularly 10+ years ago. I haven't done a Firm workout in years, but I do recall that my all time favorite Firm was Get Chiseled. I also loved the ones that came with the two piece Transfirmer (Aerobic Body Shaping, Jiggle Free Arms/Buns, Super Charged Sculpting and Ultimate Calorie Blaster) . There was also one that came with the big fail transfirmer-like step that came right before the actual Transfirmer that I loved--Total Muscle Shaping.

But I haven't done these in many years.

The Original Firms 1-6 were the best (I feel). I did like Firm Cardio and Firm Strength (Heidi Tanner and Pam Cauthen) worked out to those all the time. The firm got me on the road to fitness and Cathe. I have not done them in years and sold them to buy Cathe on DVD.
Jen

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to start with the originals Volume 1, 2, and 4, 5 (Volume 3 is not in stock, apparently) since those seem to be a majority favorite. Cathe is still my go-to trainer, along with KCM, but I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and want to have some variety for my routine, especially as I progress into later weeks of my pregnancy. Most of the pregnancy DVDs I've looked at seem to be beginner level, so I thought The Firms might be a nice compromise.

I'm thinking I might pick up some Tracie Long, too. Besides Karen's recommendation, I've read that she is a great instructor.

And poachedsalmon, if you have specific compilations to recommend, please do so. I should be more open-minded! :)

Lisa

Just thought of one more question for you ladies. When you do (or did) include The Firms in your rotations, how did you schedule your workouts since many of the workouts seem to combine weights/aerobics like a circuit workout? What would an example workout week look like when you included these videos? Did you just do Firms or include other workouts?

Thanks to the educated crowd!

Lisa

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I think I'm going to start with the originals Volume 1, 2, and 4, 5 (Volume 3 is not in stock, apparently) since those seem to be a majority favorite. Cathe is still my go-to trainer, along with KCM, but I am almost 12 weeks pregnant and want to have some variety for my routine, especially as I progress into later weeks of my pregnancy. Most of the pregnancy DVDs I've looked at seem to be beginner level, so I thought The Firms might be a nice compromise.

I'm thinking I might pick up some Tracie Long, too. Besides Karen's recommendation, I've read that she is a great instructor.

And poachedsalmon, if you have specific compilations to recommend, please do so. I should be more open-minded! :)

Lisa

Oh, don't get me started on Tracie Long. Her Leaning Out DVD is one of my favorite workouts, period. But that's another post for another day. Her Firm Maximum Body Shaping is great, too.

As for Firm compilations, Tough Tape (also Tracie Long) and Tough Tape 2 are both really good. Total Body Shaping Mix and Super Cardio are excellent. Some of the firm cardio segments include impact (e.g. lots of plyo jumps), so that might be something you would have to modify as your pregnancy progresses.

Regarding how I used the Firm workouts, I just mixed them in with my other workouts. Generally, I rotate through Vols 1-4, doing one a week and add another Firm somewhere else in the week. I have started doing some sort of strength training 3 times week, so basically I do one of the Classic volumes, then another weight/aerobic Firm and another pure strength workout (Cathe, Jari, Tracie Long). Then I'll add some Tonique and some other cardio workouts (Firm or otherwise) like some Brazil Butt Lift, kickboxing, X10 or some other Cathe cardio (Hiit, etc)

Last edited:
I did The Firm years ago. I found Cathe on a flyer I received from The Firm. There was never any system as to how I did the workouts. Just did what I felt like doing. The Sandahl Bergman workout was one of my favorites. She was the first to use the "fanny lifter" which was basically a short "high step." She was a dancer, actress, with a great body. She was in a movie with Arnold Schwartznegger, as a female warrior. Can't remember the name of the movie. Anyway, the workout is interval training. Ms. Bergman is all about the drama. On occasion, I will pull out this video, (still have it on video tape) and do the workout. I have a good laugh watching the leotard, tights, and leg warmers.

I did The Firm years ago. I found Cathe on a flyer I received from The Firm. There was never any system as to how I did the workouts. Just did what I felt like doing. The Sandahl Bergman workout was one of my favorites. She was the first to use the "fanny lifter" which was basically a short "high step." She was a dancer, actress, with a great body. She was in a movie with Arnold Schwartznegger, as a female warrior. Can't remember the name of the movie. Anyway, the workout is interval training. Ms. Bergman is all about the drama. On occasion, I will pull out this video, (still have it on video tape) and do the workout. I have a good laugh watching the leotard, tights, and leg warmers.
Conan The Barbarian, And Sandahl was fun to look at!!! Just "sayin"

Just thought of one more question for you ladies. When you do (or did) include The Firms in your rotations, how did you schedule your workouts since many of the workouts seem to combine weights/aerobics like a circuit workout? What would an example workout week look like when you included these videos? Did you just do Firms or include other workouts?

Lisa

You can use these as straight cardio including the weight segments if you use a weight that isn't the heaviest that you can handle doing 16 reps. Then they would be the equivalent of AB or SS. You will be able to do a heavy weight workout on the following day. If you go heavy then you might need to put a cardio day between some of these workouts and a heavy weight day. You can easily mix them with Cathe. The weight work is slow and deliberate which makes it effective. I get nothing out of workouts that move fast. Vol 1, 2 and 5 have some mean floor work. I got in great shape using these workouts before I found Cathe. I still use them.

My favorites in order are Vol 2, 6, 1, 5, and then 3. Some of the compilations are great. I think Tough Tape with Tracie Long is a must. I also think the Tough and the Not so tough aerobic mix are both very good. I wish they put them all on one tape to make a long cardio workout.

Tracie's newer workouts, Stonger Longer are also great. She is a very gifted trainer. I own all of her workouts. I like her longevity series and the 2 Reboots. Her 2 newest ones with the added mobility work are brilliant (IMO). When I do her workouts on a regular basis, my posture improves and I feel like I move more gracefully which is saying a lot for me. She is like the great sauce that makes a great meal (my Cathe workouts) perfect.

Lisa
Hi. I know I'm late to chime in on this but I am still a fan of the original Firm workouts (the Anna Benson years). The floor work is a bit dated and although I liked the high step part of volume 3, it's probably my least favorite (although I liked Sandal Bergman as a dancer). Volume 2, 4, 6, Tortoise and Hare (featuring Traci Long) were my primary go to workouts. I did Volume 5 as well that one is primarily focused on the hips, thighs and tush. I liked the warm up in that one I don't know why...maybe the Caribbean feel of the music. Maximum Cardio and Cardio Burn were the last of the original Firm workouts,. Power Cardio can be considered original Firm as well, although it was still in post production when The Firm changed hands. For those of us that purchased the series (it may have been called "Tri-Trainers) they sent the unfinished version of Power Cardio. It has a different name now. I think they call it Calorie Killer 2. Bust and Butt is a combination of the three I just mentioned. I liked that one.
Nerd-ish Sidebar Trivia: Sandahl Bergman, the instructor in Firm vol. 3, is a dancer (albeit probably a retired one by now). If you go to youtube you can see her in the dream sequence in an episode of Moonlighting called, "Big Man on Mulberry Street". If you Google the show and the title, it will be easy to find the segment. By today's standard, it's not much I guess but back then I thought it was really cool.

Now back to my reply:

BTW, Anna's family has kept her website going. They are still selling the original Firms (and the compilation workouts) as well as her Fit Prime and Kick Butt workouts. She started producing these videos shortly after The Firm was sold. (Good Time videos purchased the company after Anna and her husband, Mark Henriksen split (If you get the videos you'll see his name in the credits). It was a casualty of the divorce I guess. Fit Prime and Kick Butt are in the style of her The Firm workouts. There are two versions of the Kick Butts. Some love the originals but others considered them too hard. She made another set with virtually the same workout but tweaked and updated. They incorporate cardio, weights, yoga and Pilates. Each workout has a different body area emphasis but they all include those elements. They are definitely worth taking a look at. They might even help you with modifications you can use for some of Cathe's workouts. The website is: http://www.fitnessfavorites.com/index.php . I recently found out that they have some sort of special sale on Thursdays. It might be worth checking out. You have to go into the forum area and look for Thursday Thrift.

They use a 10 in box for stepping (just basic up down moves with and w/o weights for the most part) and a 14 inch step up box. Of course, you already know to use the height that works for you.

I know you didn't ask about this so I'm just tossing it in the mix as a freebie:

Cathe's "High Step Training" (HST) workout would be a good one to include with a Firm rotation once you feel up for it. It kicks things up a notch and fits well with the other workouts. Keep in mind, I'm saying the High Step Training" workout not the "High Step Training Advanced" one. I think its from the Hard Core series. Although HSTA is a really good workout, there are tons of leg presses.. They are in each segment so there's no escaping them. HST will compliment your firm rotation so that's the one I suggest if you are so inclined.

I've probably given way too much information but I hope something is helpful.

Congratulations.and best wishes for you and the little one.

Fitness Friend,
Teals

Wow, such wonderful information from everyone. Thanks for all your input and also The Firm fun facts (an Arnold movie and a Moonlighting episode!). In the end, based on your comments and also the available inventory on Mary's site, I purchased the following DVDs:

Classic Volume 1
Classic Volume 4
Firm Cross Trainers Super Cardio DVD
Firm Parts Total Body Shaping Mix
Tough tape with Tracie Long
Calorie Explosion DVD (a newer one that looked metabolic in nature and had great reviews...and was only $5!)

I was very tempted to buy more but I am pacing myself so I stopped at 6. ;) I think my next fitness adventure will be into some of Tracie Long's newer stuff. Hopefully those will go on sale soon!

Thanks again! Can't wait to try my new workouts!

Lisa

Wow, such wonderful information from everyone. Thanks for all your input and also The Firm fun facts (an Arnold movie and a Moonlighting episode!). In the end, based on your comments and also the available inventory on Mary's site, I purchased the following DVDs:

Classic Volume 1
Classic Volume 4
Firm Cross Trainers Super Cardio DVD
Firm Parts Total Body Shaping Mix
Tough tape with Tracie Long
Calorie Explosion DVD (a newer one that looked metabolic in nature and had great reviews...and was only $5!)

I was very tempted to buy more but I am pacing myself so I stopped at 6. ;) I think my next fitness adventure will be into some of Tracie Long's newer stuff. Hopefully those will go on sale soon!

Thanks again! Can't wait to try my new workouts!

Lisa
Hi Lisa,

You can't go wrong with those. I don't know about Calorie Explosion but I'm sure it will fit well with your choices. You got a workout for 5 bucks? The original 6 workouts were $49 each plus tax and shipping. It seems outrageous for one workout now but back then I didn't hesitate to write the check. They had preorders but there was no savings involved. The money helped to fund the videos and I was happy to do it.

I really liked Vol. 4. It was shorter but a solid workout. Back then the big selling point for the workout was the shorter time and longer cardio segment. You'll need hand weights for most of it. The end (right after the stretch) may seem weird to you. I thought it was fun back then but it's skippable (is that a word?) if you are short on time. I haven't looked at Super Cardio in ages. I think I'll whip it out tonight for some fond memory cardio.

Thanks for letting me go workout nerd on you for a bit. I'll stop now. :) Enjoy your workouts.

-Teals

You can't go wrong with those. I don't know about Calorie Explosion but I'm sure it will fit well with your choices. You got a workout for 5 bucks? The original 6 workouts were $49 each plus tax and shipping. It seems outrageous for one workout now but back then I didn't hesitate to write the check. They had preorders but there was no savings involved. The money helped to fund the videos and I was happy to do it.

Teals, you can go workout nerd on me anytime! So fun.

Holy cow, paying $49 for a "preorder" for one video makes me appreciate the legitimate savings that we get with preorders nowadays. But it sounds like you've used the workouts so many times through the years that they've paid for themselves.

Hoping to get my workouts in the mail today or tomorrow. Can't wait to get started.
Cheers!

Lisa

Make sure you check back and tell us how you like them! I don't know Calorie Explosion, but the others are great choices.

I have a feeling you'll end up getting Vols 2 and 3 at some point...

Reviving this old thread to say that I have LOVED all of the Firms that I have done so far. You ladies were spot on with your recommendations. The only one I haven't done (yet) is Calorie Explosion. These videos have just brought *fun* into my workouts and some functional fitness moves that I probably don't do as often as I should (leg lifts, I'm talking to you!). :)

Today I did Vol 1 Body Sculpting Basics for the first time. My 3-year-old DD walked into the room, saw Susan Harris on the screen with her blonde braided hair, and said "Momma is that Elsa? Are you working out with Elsa?" You know she kinda has a point. Maybe Susan Harris should seek royalties from Disney for stealing her look? :)

Cheers!

Lisa

Reviving this old thread to say that I have LOVED all of the Firms that I have done so far. You ladies were spot on with your recommendations. The only one I haven't done (yet) is Calorie Explosion. These videos have just brought *fun* into my workouts and some functional fitness moves that I probably don't do as often as I should (leg lifts, I'm talking to you!). :)

Today I did Vol 1 Body Sculpting Basics for the first time. My 3-year-old DD walked into the room, saw Susan Harris on the screen with her blonde braided hair, and said "Momma is that Elsa? Are you working out with Elsa?" You know she kinda has a point. Maybe Susan Harris should seek royalties from Disney for stealing her look? :)

Cheers!

Lisa

I was checking Totalfitnessdvds the other day. Noticed that most of these older Firm workouts are going for a good price. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase. Like I need any more dvds. I've used my video tape workouts so much that they are wearing out. A lot of nostalgia in these workouts for me. I think I've talked myself into it. Thanks for the help.

I was checking Totalfitnessdvds the other day. Noticed that most of these older Firm workouts are going for a good price. I may have to bite the bullet and purchase. Like I need any more dvds. I've used my video tape workouts so much that they are wearing out. A lot of nostalgia in these workouts for me. I think I've talked myself into it. Thanks for the help.

Karen, I'd like to say I feel bad for encouraging you to whip out your credit card, but I'm pretty sure you've inspired me to make a few fitness purchases myself, so I guess I owe you? Ha! :D Only teasing, of course!!! I know, I have so many DVDs that I won't be doing the Firm videos all that often but I sure have been enjoying them when I get around to them.

Hugs and leg lifts!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.