Walking????

firemedic

Cathlete
I wanted to start walking again since I don't work anymore. I wake up early (5:30am) usually and cannot walk outside due to nature (bobcats). My grandmother gave me a bunch of stuff I had given to her years ago and one of the items was Leslie's Walk away the pound 4 mile dvd. My question is, is this a good alternate to a morning walk? I have to be quite because my husband sleeps in so I know I can do this in my workout room no problem. But I don't want to waste my time with it if it's not like really walking 4 miles. Any info or suggestions would be great.

Kim

I think so:D I usually walk outside with my dogs. Soon I will be using my walking DVD's again. It's better than sitting on the couch, right? Doing LS Walk Away 4 miles, you really have to pick up the pace, IMO! Her 4 miles dvd feels different, than me walking 4 miles outside. Do you have a HR monitor or something like that?

I have one of Leslie's DVDs and it's ok. I sometimes use it as an alternative to my treadmill which really bores me. It's definitely not intense by any means. In the one I have, you mostly walk in place, but you also do side steps, knee lifts and some other different things. Mine also has what she calls boosted walking which is really just a light jog. As far as quiet, just keep your volume down...Leslie is a talker for sure!

Kim, I rely on daily walks for mental sanity, usually around 2 miles. I prefer to get them out in the sunshine as much as possible, but it's just too cold here during the winter so we found a great deal on a treadmill and that is what I use during the winter. We have it right next to a window so I pretend I am walking outside. I've tried some of Leslie's DVDs but they just don't do it for me.

Lisa

Thanks for all the input. It's too hot here to walk in the afternoons (90+ degrees). I might try it with a weighted vest. If not, I'll just try something else. I figured since I got it free, why not maybe try it. I hate instructors who talk too much, esp about nothing.

I didn't even think about that. I can just put on my ipod!!! I just figured,even if she's boring to listen too, it's better to walk 4 miles in the am than just laying in bed watching bad news from around the world.

There you go! LOL! Whatever works for you. I jam to good music when the instructor is boring or talks way to much like Leslie S. or Pauline form the Butt Bible, lol. Makes the workout much more doable. I had no idea I can put Leslie workouts on my iPod?

I picked up a couple Leslie's at yard sales this summer. Easing back into working out. I used some 1 lb gloves last week on one of her walks, and that along with heavier weight that the balls she uses really worked me out! My face was red, sweating....You should get a fine walk in with the weighted vest.....She does talk talk talk....not to offend anyone but it's easy to imagine her squawking like a chicken!! I do like how you can squeeze a walk in almost any day in 20, 30, or 60 minutes. I'm sure I will get tired of them, but will give away when that happens......

Sorry, but as a regular powerwalker, I would think that a "walking DVD" that actually goes nowhere, does not cover uneven terrain, includes no hills, sprints, curves or anything else that normal streets and parks offer would be nothing at all like an actual 4 mile walk.

If I can't get out and walk, which lasts from Nov to march here in MI, I am far better off and you are far better off doing a regular Cathe DVD. Walking in place and knee lifts? If you do Cathe workouts regularly, how can this possibly cut it for you? No disrespect meant, but this would be an anathema to me!

Clare

I'm not looking to do all out cardio at that time in the morning, I do that later along with weights. My workout room is close to our bedroom so I cannot do anything too loud because my husband sleeps longer that me. I just wanted to do something instead of sitting around or sleeping in, which makes me even more tired. As I said before, I don't have the luxury of walking outside due to too many issues with that. So I just figured it would be better than nothing. And I don't think you can put her workout on an ipod. I meant that I would mute her on the dvd and put my ipod on so I can have music without my husband hearing me. I didn't realize by me asking this that it would bother some, I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Firemedic:

who would you have upset here? I don't understand. Don't worry at all: you have your reasons and particular needs at that time of day, so go for it. Do what you need/want and enjoy it and don't apologize to anybody. I couldn't do one of these DVDS, but that doesn't mean it's not an excellent option for you. If I made you feel that you needed to apologize, then I was out of line and I am sorry. No worries!

Clare

Any movement would be better than lying in bed! If you've got the energy you could always do a short walking warm up and then do abs or yoga or something to work out quietly. Have fun! I get up at 5 for work and would not have the energy to workout then...so kudos to you!

I like Leslie, but she isn't for everyone. It's not really the same as walking, but it's still good. And, I hear you, we have bobcats, mountain lions, skunks, and on the rare occasion bears:eek: I have 3 of Leslie's discs, you can also try others on netflix to see if you like it. I also have most of. Kathy Smiths silly workouts in butt floss and day glow orange scrunchies:p For recovery time, like right now. I had a dislocated leg, had a nasty bout of eczema and food sensitivities for the last year, and this week it's been fevers. Ugh. I can't always do Cathe, and frankly that is not where I start to get back my fitness. I start with Leslie. I do wear my heart rate monitor, and aim for my 70 to 75% of my max heart rate. You can always walk twice as fast for a boost.

I wanted to start walking again since I don't work anymore. I wake up early (5:30am) usually and cannot walk outside due to nature (bobcats). My grandmother gave me a bunch of stuff I had given to her years ago and one of the items was Leslie's Walk away the pound 4 mile dvd. My question is, is this a good alternate to a morning walk? I have to be quite because my husband sleeps in so I know I can do this in my workout room no problem. But I don't want to waste my time with it if it's not like really walking 4 miles. Any info or suggestions would be great.

Kim
Leslie's 4 mile walk is equivalent to a 3 mile walk outdoors on an easy terrain, think 20 minute mile. I do this one with my mom when she visits. You can make it harder using light hand weights and doing high rep upper body movements. You can also do some jogging in place or jumping jacks. You will need to mute her and listen to your own music. She talks endlessly and says absolutely nothing.

As an alternative, you might want to try Jessica Smith and see if you like her. She has a number of walking dvds and many more workouts posted on youtube that you can download. Her delivery is more professional and her workouts have an updated feel with more variety. Another possibility is KCM. She has some easy cardio workouts. I don't recall the titles. Another possibility is some of Aimee Nicoterra's workouts. The Take 20! are fairly easy. The 2x2 are harder. I rented them recently and I was surprised how much I liked them for long warm-ups. I also put Slim Series in this category. I think of all of these workouts as movements. They don't get my HR above the low end of zone 2 and I can still do whatever challenging workout I want at night.

I think you will be amazed at how much health benefits you will gain from doing even a not so perfect DVD. You just need to find few dvds that you you can rotate through for the morning. You are incredibly luck to have this option.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.