New to Cathe, not new to fitness, where to begin?

Grenouille

Hello!

I am new to this forum, new to Cathe, but not new to working out. I have completed a lot of Beachbody DVD programs (Turbo Fire, Chalean Extreme, Insanity, T25, P90X3) and am currently doing a hybrid of Les Mills Combat and Les Mills Pump. I loved Turbo Fire (kickboxing/aerobics combination, with HIIT and some strength moves using resistance bands) and LOVE LOVE LOVE Combat and Pump (multiple forms of martial arts/kickboxing, HIIT, lifting using a bar and plates). I wish I could just do more of Combat and Pump, but A) I would probably get bored eventually and B) unless I join a gym or become a certified instructor, I can't do anything other than the DVDs I already have (unless they come out with more, which I doubt will happen).

So all of that leads me here, looking for new programs to try.

What do you recommend? I need a combo of lifting and cardio. I like martial arts/kickboxing, aerobics, lifting (either with bar and plates or dumbbells or bands). I have never tried step, but am definitely open to it.

Is there a combo pack or sampler where you can get a mix of workouts?

I am also SO confused by the language here. STS? Workout Blender? Rotations?

Oh, and I need to use DVDs. My tv is not smart ;) and I can't imagine doing workouts to a tiny computer screen. I thought I saw something about On Demand, can anyone explain that? I am so clueless, I apologize!!!!!

I believe OnDemand allows you to stream all of cathe's workouts and she also films a live workout every week. If you want to stick to DVDs this would not be a good option. STS is a true strength training program. Three days a week ( you add in your own cardio in the other three days a week). Personally I love love love STS. Absolutely great weight program. Far better than Chalean Extreme. I also think cathe has excellent HIIT workouts: shock cardio HIIT, tabatacise, etc. gym style workouts are also good strength training workouts as well. You really can not go wrong with cathe. She is the gold standard and I have done every firm workout and many beachbody programs as well.

Thanks for the quick reply!

So is OnDemand the same as the Comcast OnDemand on my cable? Or is this something you download through the computer (or a smart tv)? See how clueless I am? :eek:

Hi there:

a good place to start that will allow you to sample a variety of Cathe's workout styles and get a good mix, that includes amaple lifting and kickboxing, among other things, is:

1) the Body Blast series:

contains Kick Punch Crunch, Cathe's best kickbox workout, also some step workouts, also 2 total body lifting routines, in addition to Legs & Glutes, that focuses exclusively on the lower body muscles

or ...

2) 4 Day Split:

features 4 days worth of workouts, some cardio each day (kickbox, boot camp, step), and weights every day. You also get premixes that allow you to do the entire upper body lifting in one go, and all sorts of mix and match options)

or ..

3) the Hardcore series:

features 6 weights based workouts (1 total body, 3 split routines, 1 circuit), 2 routines using the step (one interval based, one intervals but low impact, incredibly effective still), 1 kickbox DVD and a DVD that mixes and matches from all the other workouts in the series to make more challenging circuit combinations)

You can watch clips here at Cathe's site and see what appeals to you. Happy shopping!

Clare

So is OnDemand the same as the Comcast OnDemand on my cable? Or is this something you download through the computer (or a smart tv)? See how clueless I am? :eek:

On Demand is Cathe's subscription internet streaming service for viewing all of her workout videos that she has released. A great deal IMO if you have fast internet and don't have her DVD's yet. For example this service is similar to watching videos on the internet like youtube, or Netflix instant streaming. You can view these on your computer or with Apple TV and probably other devices that use a web browser.

Cathe also has her workouts in download format where you buy each one individually, download them to your computer and own them. Then you can use The Workout Blender to create your own different premixes from different Cathe workouts that you've bought and downloaded.

Of course Cathe also has her great DVD's with many premixes.

Rotations are something Cathe puts together from her various DVDs working on a specific goal usually each month.

HTH

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It might be worth checking out the rotations first (either in the Workout Manager or looking at the stickies in the Rotations thread) and then chosing a series to buy - one of the newer ones is XTrain, which has several different rotation options.

It's worth waiting for something to come up on 'deal of the day' - you can use discount codes too. Makes great savings.

Best of luck.

With Cathe On Demand, if you have an HDMI cable, you can use a laptop and connect to your tv and workout with Cathe on the tv. I have it and love it, then you also get Cathe live free. I would get XTRAIN, I think it's her best series yet.

Are you looking for a mix of cardio & weights in the same workout or separate cardio and separate strength?? For strength do you want separate upper and lower body workouts or total body workouts?? Cathe has so many to offer and so many options especially with all the premixes she has on her dvds. Do you have a barbell? You mentioned you're open to step...what type of step do you have? How easy is it for you to pick up choreography as some of Cathe's step workouts are much easier to catch on to than others.

I like XTrain, but wasn't a big fan of the Hard Strikes workout in this series. I don't have a bike for the cycling workout so can't comment on that one. (You can order the workouts all separate too). For martial arts I do like Cathe's Kick Punch and Crunch but honestly prefer Susan Chungs kickboxing workouts better.

Someone mentioned 4 Day split. I personally found the step choreography a bit tricky in that series.

Some of my favorite workouts are Afterburn, Athletic Training, Cardio Leg Blast, High Reps, Burn Sets, X10, Flex Train, Supercuts, To The Max, Tabatacis, All Out Low Impact HiiT, Athletic Step, the Gym Style series, and Low Impact Circuit.

Wow!! Thank you all for the helpful info!

I've been thinking about getting a Roku for my old, dumb tv, would that work for streaming the On Demand? I can use my Tivo to watch YouTube, but I don't think I have web access from it.

Thank you so much for the suggestions on which program set to begin with! This gives me a great beginning, and now I can at least focus on those combo workout sets when choosing what to buy.

Are you looking for a mix of cardio & weights in the same workout or separate cardio and separate strength?? For strength do you want separate upper and lower body workouts or total body workouts?? Cathe has so many to offer and so many options especially with all the premixes she has on her dvds. Do you have a barbell? You mentioned you're open to step...what type of step do you have? How easy is it for you to pick up choreography as some of Cathe's step workouts are much easier to catch on to than others.

Let's see...

I like separate workouts for weights and cardio. I don't have a preference for doing upper/lower separately or together. Either way is fine. I do have a barbell and plates. I don't have a step, I would buy one to do the workouts. I've picked up the choreography in Turbo Fire after a few workouts, so I'm not too worried but wouldn't want to start with something too complicated.

I've been thinking about getting a Roku for my old, dumb tv, would that work for streaming the On Demand? I can use my Tivo to watch YouTube, but I don't think I have web access from it.

You might ask Curt (the Cathe tech guy) this question over in the CatheTV section. I believe they are looking into options of how (which devices etc.) to view OnDemand (this is still a pretty new service). Cathe TV - The Cathe Nation

We are similar! I also have a lot of BeachBody stuff, but have been looking for some new variety. I LOVE the OnDemand! Talk about variety - anything you could possibly be in the mood for!

At any rate, I have a Roku and wasn't able to get it to work through my Roku (I don't know if it's possible, but I didn't have any luck). Similar to an earlier suggestion - I have it hooked up to my TV (it's not a smart TV, it's a 42" LG I've had for about 7 or 8 years) through my laptop with a monitor cable (so the TV basically becomes a monitor).

We are similar! I also have a lot of BeachBody stuff, but have been looking for some new variety. I LOVE the OnDemand! Talk about variety - anything you could possibly be in the mood for!

At any rate, I have a Roku and wasn't able to get it to work through my Roku (I don't know if it's possible, but I didn't have any luck). Similar to an earlier suggestion - I have it hooked up to my TV (it's not a smart TV, it's a 42" LG I've had for about 7 or 8 years) through my laptop with a monitor cable (so the TV basically becomes a monitor).

Tell me more about this. What kind of cable do you use to connect your laptop to your TV? Someone else mentioned an HDMI cable, my TV does not have that type of connection. Is there something else I can use? Where do I plug things in to both my laptop and my TV? And is it really as easy as plugging in cables and voila, the TV will play what's on the laptop?

Tell me more about this. What kind of cable do you use to connect your laptop to your TV? Someone else mentioned an HDMI cable, my TV does not have that type of connection. Is there something else I can use? Where do I plug things in to both my laptop and my TV? And is it really as easy as plugging in cables and voila, the TV will play what's on the laptop?

It really is pretty easy. I didn't use an HDMI cable in this instance, I used what you would think of as a regular monitor cable, VGA. With that you need a separate RCA cable for audio (these are pretty standard cables used on TVs - I think of them as the ones you "hook up by color"). I poked around a little to find a walk-through for you, this one is pretty straight forward:

How to Connect a Laptop to a TV Using a VGA Cable | Tech Channel - RadioShack

Some of my favorite workouts are Afterburn, Athletic Training, Cardio Leg Blast, High Reps, Burn Sets, X10, Flex Train, Supercuts, To The Max, Tabatacis, All Out Low Impact HiiT, Athletic Step, the Gym Style series, and Low Impact Circuit.

I am not familiar with the Gym Style Series or the Low Impact Circuit (although I do have the Cardio Fusion compilation DVD that includes segments from Low Impact Circuit), but I have everything else you mentioned, and they are great.

Also, if Grenouille is not adverse to step, I still believe that Body Max 2 is the one DVD that I would take to a deserted island: it has cardio, power circuits, upper body weight training on a stability ball, abs, and a stretch. And all of the premixes are so wonderful. I have yet to conquer Scrambled Eggs. By the last go-round, I am no longer jumping, but instead just doing repeaters.

Hi/Salut Frog/Grenouille,

Welcome to Cathe nation :):):)

To reply to your question, there is so much to choose from cathe's collection, i don't really know where my suggestions should start.

I like martial art based workout too and you have had good suggestions.

I would recommend cathe's "old" step cardio dvd if you want to venture fun step choreographed drill.
I started body max but you can try step jam or step from Body blast series. Step is fun.
Cathe does re-visit moves from previous series so learning from old make venturing new ones easy IMOo_O:rolleyes:

Without aiming to discourage you, cathe's step can feel and look complicated.
Be patient during the learning phase cause once you have mastered the moves you will be fine.
You will be revisiting various dvds over and over without pausing. They are FUN:);)

I also suggest you try out cathe's plyos: IMAX2 and 3. Don't start with these too soon cause they are trully brutal for beginners and intermediates.

Should you need further info, do not hesitate to post on here.
There is a bunch of lovely and friendly cathletes here.

Kind Regards,

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.