Barbie based on a real woman

Looking at pic 5 from the side view, I realized that I have Barbie's bum & hips :eek::p:).

Fun article Nancy!

Last edited:
The only thing that bothers me about this is that it's almost saying thin women are not real. So you have to have a belly and big hips to be a real woman?
It's a doll!
I grew up with Barbie, loved ALL my Barbie dolls, and never gave much thought about her waist to hip ratio. I was too busy dressing her in pretty clothes.
I understand the message, but it's like blaming video games for boys who grow up to kill people.

I am built more like the orginal Barbie, 5'8", 125 and those long slender legs, guess I am not a real or normal women.:confused:

I am built more like the orginal Barbie, 5'8", 125 and those long slender legs, guess I am not a real or normal women.:confused:

I have four nieces who are built like original Barbie. Two are home schooled, two go to public school. The two who are in public schools have been ridiculed and made fun of by other girls. They have been called anorexic and worse. :(

I have four nieces who are built like original Barbie. Two are home schooled, two go to public school. The two who are in public schools have been ridiculed and made fun of by other girls. They have been called anorexic and worse. :(

Exactly, I went through the same thing in school, I used to wear sweatpants under my jeans, to look heavier. Now I am proud the way look whether it's the norm or not! My success story is on here from 2 years ago with my struggle to gain weight and add muscle.

Realistic Barbie

Thanks Lrusso for sharing your opinion.

Real women comes in all shape depending on the type of skeleton we herited from our parents. We simply were not made from the same mold!

Now IMHO, media are labeling all these articles, especially barbie's one, with less negative messages. This will , iMO, decrease eating disorders.

I played with the original barbie, i loved barbie's doll so much that I found it difficult to give up on them!:eek::eek::eek:
During few years I had to play with them without my mother around (she though It was high time i gave up and grew up!). I did make my own cloth and dress my barbies. It the best memory i have growing up. To sum up, I am little bit too girly.

Now being from an afro descendant not having a barbie I could relate to, did negatively affect my self esteem. The original barbie just did not represent the majority of women shape. Realistic mean "the majority" At the end of the day there is not a big population of slim ectomorph with slender long legs tiny waist! Certainly not now that food are fully loaded with chemicals, pesticide and on top we are facing processed food consequences!

Nowadays people are getting *offended/irritated* because opinion and perceptions have now changed . It was high time!

My skeleton, my hair, skin complexion did not resemble to the original barbie at all, I feel very comfortable in the body I am in, defined by my skeleton. Thanks to the changes such as this barbie article and More Latin, hispanics and afro models/celebrity appearance in beauty magasine (Beyonce first appearance in Vogue was broadcast all over the word without actually realising afro models were excluded, because they were not representing the so called "realistic woman").

All above being said, although I was not born resembling the original barbie in any shape or form, I feel a real woman. I have a slight long trunk with a waist, a typical afro arched spine which I would not trade for anything;):p and yes I have hips and a bottom which requires looking after to keep it firmly compact:D:D It is all good. People are now booking surgical procedure to enhance their bottom so why on earth would i feel un-realistic.

I think we all just need to make the most of what we have in a safe way of course!;)

All the best everyone,
Hope my statement does stir any controversy:p

Last edited:
I just don't like when body types are labeled "real" or "normal", everyone is different and unique in their own way and should not come with a label!:)

I am too. I'm 5'7" and 115 lbs. The problem is, not too many people want to hear us complain about being called too skinny. It just isn't a popular thing to fuss about. I know because I've been called out on it before. :(

The problem is, it's not okay to comment on anybody's weight, whether they are skinny or fat. Yet people feel it's okay to tell someone they are too skinny. However, it isn't okay to tell someone they are too large.

I've had stangers tell me that I need to eat more. (How do they know how much I eat?) Saying that a slender woman who has the proportions of Barbie isn't "real" is just not right. All women are real. The whole idea of "real women have curves" just rubs me wrong. ALL women have curves. Some may have smaller curves than others, but that doesn't make them any less real or less of a woman.

What many people don't realize is that it works both ways.

Sorry, I just thought the Barbie article would give folks the chuckles :eek:. I am basically a very optimistic person who loves to laugh and tends to find humor in life. I truly did not mean for anyone to feel judged; that's not what we're about on this forum!

Sorry, I just thought the Barbie article would give folks the chuckles :eek:. I am basically a very optimistic person who loves to laugh and tends to find humor in life. I truly did not mean for anyone to feel judged; that's not what we're about on this forum!

Nancy, don't take our observations personally. It was just the way the conversation turned. Sometimes when there's an opportunity to vent a little about a subject, the thread will go in that direction.

Your intent to get a chuckle out of people was clear. I think we're all basically optimistic like you are, so no worries at all. Nobody was thinking you were judging.

One of the cool things about message boards is that threads can, and do, venture into different territory. It's all good.

I'm sorry. I know you posted it for a chuckle, and I wasn't going to respond to this thread, but I couldn't help it.
I saw the pictures on a fitness facebook page without the article, and thought the photos were funny. The message sucks.

No worries it's good to hear different opinions on things, that's what this forum is about! ;)

Funny thing is....as a child I never gave Barbie's figure a second thought, but her hair was another story! I gave all my Barbie dolls a hair cut! :eek::eek: LOL

You DID?! :eek: That's so funny!! As a young girl, I never gave Barbie's figure a thought either. But then again, things were VERY different when I was "young." ;)

You DID?! :eek: That's so funny!! As a young girl, I never gave Barbie's figure a thought either. But then again, things were VERY different when I was "young." ;)

I think we are in the same age bracket. I was never made fun of for being thin.
I feel so bad for my nieces who are ridiculed for being tall and skinny.

I think we are in the same age bracket. I was never made fun of for being thin.
I feel so bad for my nieces who are ridiculed for being tall and skinny.
It really stinks how kids can be so cruel. :confused: I would be very happy to be tall and "skinny," 'cause short and stubby ain't really what I wanted! :rolleyes: LOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.