Cooking with Garbanzo beans?

I have made black bean brownies. My kids didn't taste the difference. I have to be careful when I made them, because it's easy to just up the beans and give myself license to eat way too many.

I have seen recipes for cookies with white beans or garbanzo beans. I remember they said peanut butter cookies work well to mask the flavor, along with the beans adding protein.

On an unrelated note, I also made tofu mac and cheese once for my kids. I don't think I ever told them what was different. They told me it was the best ever. It did have lots of cheese, but I didn't need to add as much cheese as I normally would because the tofu is like a cottage cheese. Plus, the extra protein fills you up faster. I had heard of tofu used that way before, but I didn't believe it would be as tasty. It's really good as long as the tofu base is seasoned.

Great - thanks for the feedback! I will have to start experimenting with these - my hubby has a sweet tooth and I'm trying to make things that are a little healthier for him.

I have experimented a little with tofu - mainly the soft kind, but not in mac n cheese, that sounds delicious!

Happy baking,
Elle

I think the key to making the beans blend in, is making them a paste. I would think you could make black bean 'fudge' too, it's the similar color and texture when it's wet. I wish I had thought of all of this first. Talk about a million dollar idea. When I was in elementary school, they served black bean brownies, and or maybe it was sweet potatoes. Then told us about it on a tour of the lunch room. That lady inspired me from childhood :D

I just mash up the tofu, and you can use any firmness. Just depends how smooth you want it to be. I made it into a cottage cheese first, and I liked it better with the extra firm tofu, more of an individual pieces look. The soft tofu blends in better, with what is mixed into it. Either way is fine, simply personal preference.

Just made garbonzo bean chocolate chip cookie bars. Wow they impressed me!!! They were seriously amazing. No flour either. They had oats and garbonzo beans and honey and vegan chocolate chips. Super yummy and I could not taste the beans at all.

I buy garbanzo bean flour and bake with it, since I am gluten free. I usually mix it with rice flour and quinoa flour for breads and cookies.

One of my yummiest recipes with garbanzo beans is roasting a can with a head of cauliflower, olive oil and thyme with a bit of red pepper flakes. Yum!

Lisa

I make chickpea fries which are so yummy and fast to make. They never make it the table. We eat them standing up!

Just made garbonzo bean chocolate chip cookie bars. Wow they impressed me!!! They were seriously amazing. No flour either. They had oats and garbonzo beans and honey and vegan chocolate chips. Super yummy and I could not taste the beans at all.

Love to have this recipe -- sounds very yummy!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.