What was hardest when you started Cathe/working out?

Candiceena

Cathlete
For those who have not been into working out/athletic their whole lives, what did you struggle with most when you first started with Cathe (or whatever you started with, for that matter)?

I feel like my legs are pretty strong in general, but I am really lacking (I think) when it comes to my cardio endurance. I just did Body Fusion for the first time and the weights part was easy, but the cardio was really really hard. I only had my step on the ground, I didn't use any of the risers.

Does the cardio get easier? Is there anything I can do to build my cardio up with out feeling like I'm absolutely killing my lungs lol? Or do I just need to grin and bare it until my level gets where it needs to be?

Hi,
I felt out of shape when I started working out cathe ...my 1st cathe cardio w/o was body max ...after about 3attempts , I managed to keep up with cathe and the crew. Some cardio do get easier some don't . CCC and Hiit never get easier in my opinion. Having said that, if you r up for an ongoing challenge you are in good place !

All the very best ,

Hi there,

I think what you are experiencing is completely normal and common. It does take a bit of time to gain cardio endurance. Just keep on practicing, keep on having a positive attitude, keep on pushing yourself a little harder each time you feel ok to do so, and eventually it will get easier (but never "easy" with some of Cathe's cardio :eek:;)). Just give it time and soon you will be able to do hiit/tabata/intervals, without feeling like your lungs are going to collapse.

When I started with Cathe May 2011, I could barely keep up with her during her Shock Cardio Hiit's. On Saturday I did Tabatacise (all 5 rounds!) and felt great about my cardio output :D. I have come a long way, and so will you :).

Good luck & take care,

Natasha

Thanks for the feedback ladies. That is very reassuring. I just ordered the two bundles that are on today's deal of the day. I'm excited to have some cardio premixes.

Please come back as u do them and tell is what u think!
I know sounds nuts but i love hearing what you liked and why, it makes me want to revisit the wo again, or motivates me to do more workouts.

One way to look at it is if you can do a workout easily when you first get it, it's too easy for you! It should be hard so you can work up to it. It's so motivating to have trouble at first and, by continuing to work at it, get better and better. That's when you know you're making progress in your fitness. Hang in there!

That's a really good point exercise-lover! That is one of the things that I absolutely LOVE about step workouts. I am able focus on the fact that I'm learning and getting better at a challenge (learning the steps) and not just "oh I have to run for 30 minutes today...I love to dance and step but love =/= talent lol. I swear I have THREE left feet lol. But I still love it.

That's a really good point exercise-lover! That is one of the things that I absolutely LOVE about step workouts. I am able focus on the fact that I'm learning and getting better at a challenge (learning the steps) and not just "oh I have to run for 30 minutes today...I love to dance and step but love =/= talent lol. I swear I have THREE left feet lol. But I still love it.

You will out grow the 3 left feet feeling if you keep practicing. Step Blast was my first step workout ever. I love the focus that step choreography requires. I love step workouts with a learning curve. My first time with Step Blast should have been recorded. I can't count how many times I was on the wrong side of the step or facing the wrong direction. Wish Cathe would come out with a complex step workout.

Boot camp was my first Cathe workout. Oh boy I can't tell you how many times I had to pause and breathe. My lungs were actually hurting! I was surprised because I was in track and ran bleachers etc... I can say that after the Bootcamp rotation I could complete all of BC without a break but it was not easy.
If u stay consistent and work up slowly in intensity you will be able to keep up with Cathe eventually.

You will out grow the 3 left feet feeling if you keep practicing. Step Blast was my first step workout ever. I love the focus that step choreography requires. I love step workouts with a learning curve. My first time with Step Blast should have been recorded. I can't count how many times I was on the wrong side of the step or facing the wrong direction. Wish Cathe would come out with a complex step workout.

If u stay consistent and work up slowly in intensity you will be able to keep up with Cathe eventually.

LOL, I should have recorded my first time with Step Blast too :D. ITA with the above posted. I LOVE step workouts with a learning curve :).

And good for you Candiceena for not giving up! It does get easier, so hang in there sweetie :). BTW, do you have Step Blast? That one is absolutely wonderful IMO because the step-choreo is complex, but it is not very demanding (steady-state cardio). BUT THEN towards the end :)eek::eek::eek:) you get to the "blasts" section, where your cardio endurance is put to the test (you may go aerobic/anaerobic). I believe there are 3 "blasts", so you can gradually build up to them, doing only *1* and then as you get better, all 3. The music is incredible, and builds with the intensity. Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones anyone? Oh my, you can't get any better than that :cool:.

Good luck!

Natasha

Hi ladies,

I am glad to hear that the 3-left feet feeling will wear off :) Slowly but surely I feel like I am getting better and better at learning the step choreography and I also am feeling more coordinated. It makes me SOOOO HAPPY when I can get through a whole combo w/o messing up once (it is a rarity though, at least for now haha).

I'm actually super excited because last week I ordered Body Blast series and Low Impact series when they were the DOD and I just got them tonight!! I'm super excited to have some new additions to my Cathe collection! I noticed Step Blast is in the Body Blast series so I am thinking of poppipng that one in tonight :)

Oh i hope u come back and tell us what u think aboout each of the workouts. I love bodyblast but it can be tricky. I also love step jumpp and pump as well! That is on that same dvd.

LOL, I should have recorded my first time with Step Blast too :D. ITA with the above posted. I LOVE step workouts with a learning curve :).

And good for you Candiceena for not giving up! It does get easier, so hang in there sweetie :). BTW, do you have Step Blast? That one is absolutely wonderful IMO because the step-choreo is complex, but it is not very demanding (steady-state cardio). BUT THEN towards the end :)eek::eek::eek:) you get to the "blasts" section, where your cardio endurance is put to the test (you may go aerobic/anaerobic). I believe there are 3 "blasts", so you can gradually build up to them, doing only *1* and then as you get better, all 3. The music is incredible, and builds with the intensity. Paint It Black by The Rolling Stones anyone? Oh my, you can't get any better than that :cool:.

Good luck!

Natasha

Paint it Black was the whole reason I got Step Blast. At the time there wasn't much to choose from for cardio workouts and I was getting sick of the Firm's Super Cardio. I wanted pure cardio with no wt work. I had done Bootcamp a few times and decided to see what Cathe had. I watched the Step Blast clip, heard Paint it Black and bought bc of that song. I had no idea what I was getting myself into.
I'm going to have to do SB this week.
Oh FYI if u just bought The BB series, SJP has very simple step work. Also, the Timesaver DVD has just a few cardio sections on each day so you can work on it a little bit at a time and still get one body part pretty well worked. Don't feel bad if you don't get the steps down your first time. I watched the videos several times just for fun. Lol then even rewound parts that I had trouble with. Expect to get confused. Don't get frustrated though. Just chill out and try more on a different day.
That method worked for me. Not to brag or anything but when Step Moves came out I felt where Cathe was going and didn't have any trouble learning it. I watched it once and made it through with very few mistakes my first time. This is after a decade or more of working out with Cathe.

Hi ladies,

I am glad to hear that the 3-left feet feeling will wear off :) Slowly but surely I feel like I am getting better and better at learning the step choreography and I also am feeling more coordinated. It makes me SOOOO HAPPY when I can get through a whole combo w/o messing up once (it is a rarity though, at least for now haha).

I'm actually super excited because last week I ordered Body Blast series and Low Impact series when they were the DOD and I just got them tonight!! I'm super excited to have some new additions to my Cathe collection! I noticed Step Blast is in the Body Blast series so I am thinking of poppipng that one in tonight :)

Excellent choice! You are going to love the Body Blast Series :). Something about that series just makes me so happy :D. I also enjoy the LIS :D. Have fun!

That method worked for me. Not to brag or anything but when Step Moves came out I felt where Cathe was going and didn't have any trouble learning it. I watched it once and made it through with very few mistakes my first time. This is after a decade or more of working out with Cathe.

I just did Step Moves the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how far I've come with complex-step. I have no problem following Cathe's directions and cue's. When I started doing step in 2011, I felt a bit discouraged and overwhelmed. But I decided I would push through and keep pluggin' away. I can't tell you how happy I am to have learned complex-step because I absolutely ADORE it :D. Exercise so much more enjoyable when you are having fun :D.

All the best everyone :)

I just did Step Moves the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how far I've come with complex-step. I have no problem following Cathe's directions and cue's. When I started doing step in 2011, I felt a bit discouraged and overwhelmed. But I decided I would push through and keep pluggin' away. I can't tell you how happy I am to have learned complex-step because I absolutely ADORE it :D. Exercise so much more enjoyable when you are having fun :D.

All the best everyone :)

Good for you! Step Moves is so much fun. Complex step doesn't feel like working out even though Cathe throws in some intense goodies and makes me sweat. I guess I don't realize how much I'm working when I'm having fun.

I started watching Cathe on Fit TV when I was home recovering from surgery. I saw KP&C and had to have it. When I got it, I cannot believe how much more of the workout there was that was left off the TV version. But I fell in love with it and legs and glutes. Then I started ordering more and more of Cathe's dvd's and I have to say that for step, you cannot go wrong with her older step dvd's. My first was rythmic step. I remember thinking, how can I ever make it throught this. But, eventually, you do. Even today, I still love Cathe's older step dvd's. They are easy to follow but longer and you still sweat a lot. I hope Cathe gets back into step soon. Even if it's just 1 or 2 routines.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.