Amberen?

dreamyjeanie

Cathlete
Has anyone tried or researched Amberen for perimenopausal/menopausal weight gain and other symtoms? As I get closer to 50, my body is taking on a life of it's own. It is not responding to the regular dietary and exercise changes that have worked in the past. I know there is probably little chance of finding a solution in a supplement, but as I face this time of my life, kicking and screaming(I'm not changing without a fight), having a little edge that helps prevent some of symptoms would be nice, as long it is safe and doens't have it's own side effects.

Jean

JEAN!!!! Mama I got 50 goin' on this year too. How did that post RT committment to your lean protein and veggies go? Is that what you mean is not working now?

Lorrie, partially yes. It used to be when I would be very good with my eating, I would see changes start to show within 2 weeks. Clothes fitting better, feeling better, etc. The last few months, not so much. Over the past couple of months, I have gained a few pounds which I often do, but this time it has gone straight to my belly. Used to go to my behind. When I cracked down on the eating, my body laughs at me, which just makes me depressed and I fall off the wagon. But it's not just the weight gain. I have started to have hot flashes, headaches and tears. I know all women go through these things, but if there are safe ways to help reduce these things, I would love to know about them.
Of course as for the weight thing, I would love to find a way to reach deep inside me and kick it up a few gears for the next 2 months and try to see some major changes before the big "50" hits. Unfortunately, I honestly do no know if I have what it takes right now to reach that deep.
Even though I think I already know the answer to my original question. "There is no magic pill or supplement. Just good old fashion hard work and clean eating."

Check out an herbal supplement called Phyto B from Bezwecken on the west coast. My girlfriend told me about them and gave me about 20 pills. She told me that if they worked they would work the 1st day... I thought yeah right so I tried them and all my hot flashes went away the 1st day! I thought it was psycho sematic, the power of suggestion until after a few days a sympton I had not related to menopause had subsided...my back itching. I do not take any medication at this time but this stuff was a miricle. I bought mine from a local chiropractor/herbal medicine dr.

I have a condition called PCOS and I get some of those symptoms. Zinc helps with my menstrual headaches/migraines (it might help you.) It will put a stop to a menstrual headache in about 20 to 30 minutes. I use ashwaghanda for anxiety/monkey mind and it seems to help. Yoga helps tremendously with metabolism issues, you might try Shiva's Yoga for Women (I think that it is on Netflix as a DVD.)

My mom had a hard time going through menopause because hers was caused by a hysterectomy, so basically it was overnight. But, she says that its not nearly as bad as it used to be.

If you aren't using solar spectrum lights, I highly recommend them. They boost my mood. Vit. D also seems to help me.

Check out an herbal supplement called Phyto B from Bezwecken on the west coast. My girlfriend told me about them and gave me about 20 pills. She told me that if they worked they would work the 1st day... I thought yeah right so I tried them and all my hot flashes went away the 1st day! I thought it was psycho sematic, the power of suggestion until after a few days a sympton I had not related to menopause had subsided...my back itching. I do not take any medication at this time but this stuff was a miricle. I bought mine from a local chiropractor/herbal medicine dr.

I used to take a cortisol product from Bezwecken some years ago. Can't say that it helped much but at least my body accepted it as it is quite sensitive to so many products. I'm thrilled to hear of this product. Could you please share how many per day you take and at what time of the day? I've been reading some reviews and the amount and time of day is varying. I've been in perimenopause longer thank I think I've actually had my period, lol. My hormones are so out of whack and my sleep is atrocious. I can usually fall asleep ok but wake up at varying times and can't get back to sleep for hours. :mad:

Thanks for sharing this!

Bam

I was in full menopause by age 45 (I am now 46). I have never had hot flashes but I gained weight (less than 10 pounds) unexpectedly last year, started getting up in the night to use the washroom every hour for months and my hair was falling out. My doctor was useless. I finally saw a naturopath who read my blood work and recommended I take a tsp of dong quai (natural supplement from the cedar tree) per day. She recommended the brand St. Francis in the tincture form. Within about a week everything cleared up. My hair stopped falling out, I was no longer getting up in the night and, with Cathe's Xtrain - I am feeling fitter than ever! I was very impressed with my naturopath. I hope you find what fits for you. My experiences last year left me really struggling until I found the right thing for me. Whatever you try, give it a chance to work - could be 2 weeks or more before you see results. Maca Root is another thing to look into. Good luck.

Katie Lee, I just want to thank you for this recommendation. I had been having horrible hot flashes for the last two years. They persisted, even though a year ago I started using bio-identical hormones. Short version, I went off those because they weren't helping at all. I started taking the Phyto B (I'd been off the hormones about 2 weeks by then), and although I did NOT notice a difference right away, it's now 3 weeks into it & I might have 3 hot flashes a day now, & they're nowhere near as fierce as they were. I was having them every 45 minutes, including all night long! THANK YOU for passing this on! You saved my sanity!

I may have to try this Phyto B also. I am almost 48 and have been perimenopausal for over 3 years now. Heck, I may be menopausal and just in denial...lol. 3 years ago I started getting hot flashes all day and night! Continuously! It was dreadful. My doctor put me on Loestrin 21 which I've been on for 3 years now and it gets rid of the hot flashes entirely. I've had some weight gain in the stomach but have had no period since going on it. That's why I can't tell if I'm in menopause yet. I'm so scared to come off the Loestrin because I hate the hot flashes!

I was also looking into Amberen because I see advertisements for it every where. Not sure how safe it is though. Anyway, I may test myself and go off the Loestrin for a month and use the Phyto B and see what happens. If I can get up the nerve...lol.

Thanks for the info!

Laura

I have heard of Amberen and called them when I heard the number on a radio program. They had promised a free sample on the program, but I was sooooo turned off by their hard-sell when I called for a free sample, I just hung up!!! They had me, all they had to do was let me try it. Instead, they beat me to death with information I already knew/was hopeful for and didn't come up with the free sample! They lost me!

I am excited to try this phyto thing! I have not had a period since Dec. 6th of last year, and though I am thrilled to be rid of the dreadful monthly for now, I am wondering what happens next, not to mention the waking up absolutely drenched in sweat!!!

Thanks for the suggestion.

So far my research on Amberen does not show that it has real evidence for what they are are advertising.

I did get my blood work done and I am very low on testosterone. Go figure, weight lifting is suppose to naturally boost testosterone. So I guess if I wasn't working out I would even be lower. Now I have to make the decision on what to do about it.

Jean

I bought my Phyto B from a chiropractor/herbalist. he recommended to start with 4 pills a day for a few months then gradually cut back to get the smallest dosage to relieve symptoms. the main ingredient is from a yam root. I believe more women can handle a Phyto product because our systems are related to the plants and not to the harsher chemical compounds. Kat

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.