Question for fellow Troy Lite Barbell owners

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi,

I just bought the barbell a couple of weeks ago. It ships with 35lbs of plates and I am assuming the bar itself weighs 5 lbs.

What is the total weight capacity of this bar? Can I add more than the 35lbs? What is the most of you have loaded on it?

Thanks for your help.

Susan

IDK it's exact weight limit but I think it can hold somewhere between 80 and 100#. I know I've had it loaded up to about 75# and it's been fine.

HTH! :)

If the Troylite bar is the one Cathe uses in Muscle Max, then I have it. I always thought you could buy more plates from Troylite or Walmart.

When I bought mine, I also ordered two extra 10 pound plates. I since purchased extra 10 pound plates from Target. Works a treat.

I have had my barbell up to about 70 pounds. It can handle much more. There's one workout where Cathe takes hers up to about 100 pounds? If you ask her in the Ask Cathe forum, she can tell you.

I've had my Troy Lite for over 10 years. Love it.

Clare

You're going to love your Troy Lite. I have three barbells, one being an Olympic and the Troy is my favorite! I love the ease of being able to change the plates easily with the clip/springy thing that holds the plates on.

I've always wondered how much weight the Troy Lite would support ... now I know! (thanks!) I've owned mine about 4 years now and am still in love with it. I still remember the days when I used to sub barbell exercises with a dumbbell and then once I had my barbell it was like - squeeee!! - no turning back. :)

Here's another place that sells the set for $125.00 with free shipping.

Troy Lightweight Barbell System

LOVE my TroyLite!!!!

Nevermind, it's gone up to $149.00! Cathy's website is a better deal at $125.00 and also has free shipping.

Last edited:
FYI ladies, before you place your order at the website I posted (homefitnessequipment.com), call them to confirm the price and shipping info.

I cancelled my original Troy Lite barbell order because I wanted a heavier set. A few days after placing my new order, I received a call telling me that the company wouldn't be able to honor my order because the website hadn't been updated and it would cost me MUCH more (ie. very steep shipping fees as opposed to free shipping!!!).

I ended up cancelling that order too and now I'm shopping around for a barbell again.

I hope this helped!

DebbieH said:
Cathy, I think it recommends up to 80#'s but I've taken it to 90 or 95 before with no problems! It works GREAT for STS!

Hi Debbie,

I really love the rubber coated plates that came with it. Did you buy additional plates by the same maker? If so, where did you get them? I haven't had luck finding just the plates online.

Thanks,
Susan

Susan I just looked on the Fitness 1st website which is where I got my barbell. This is what they have:

Troy Lite Quiet Iron™ Rubber Enclosed Grip Weights, sold in pairs

Jean

Additional Weights

I have had the Troy Lite bar/weights for several years now and love the set. I got additional weights at Target. They are not completely rubber-coated, but have rubber around the edges. I work out on a tile floor, and even though I put down puzzle mats when I'm using the barbell having that little added insurance of the rubber coating makes me feel more comfortable in case I drop one. They are Reebok brand, and have large holes in the middle that make for easy pick-up. I kept my eye on the sales and picked them up for some good prices.

Not to hijack the thread, but...

...I wanted to point out this option that works great with the barbell since the bar is shorter than traditional bars, and also most of us have space limitations in our workout areas. The Valor Squad Stands are so versatile. If you do a search on the forum you will find some older threads about different ways of using them. There are several more updated models, as well:

Valor Fitness BD-3 Squat Stands | Overstock.com

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.