Just a thought about sizes

NRG Woman

Cathlete
I didn't want to hijack a previous thread, but I wanted to give my 0.02.

On another thread a poster had touched on how different clothes are cut and how they fit differently. I just wanted to touch on that a bit more.

I sew much of my own clothes so I look at ready to wear a little differently. I know all of the alterations that are needed from a base pattern to make it fit an individual since everyone is shaped differently. Something that most people don't know about is called "design ease". Basically design ease is how much extra fabric a designer adds or takes away to make the garment fit/hang how they want. Ultimately what that means is that the number on the tag is meaningless. A few weeks ago I went on a shopping spree and the number on the clothes varied by 5 sizes for me to have the fit that I was comfortable with (that was all in one store). It reinforced to me that it is more about how the clothes fit than what the number is.

So what I wanted to say is that when we go shopping we often base the success of the shopping trip by the number on the clothes we bring home. If the number on the tag is not what we want it to be we often spend a huge amount of energy beating ourselves up about not being what we want (or society wants). The problem is that size is a moving target depending on what is currently in style and may not be the best measure of success. And certainly does not measure your worth as a person.

Just my 2 cents.

Shayne

Shayne Thank you very much. My DIL owns a boutique and has definitely helped me get over the "number". I have found that depending on style, manufacturer, cut etc. the numbers will vary. Right now I am in the process of returning 2 things to a store for an exchange. One I am bringing back the small for a medium and the other I am bringing back the medium for a small. Go figure.

I don't think about the number anymore, especially since I find that the clothing you find in some retail stores run big. I think they are catering to America and our increasing waist lines. I get annoyed by this. I know a lot of tiny individuals who can no longer shop at adult clothing stores.

I find that the clothing you find in some retail stores run big. I think they are catering to America and our increasing waist lines. I get annoyed by this.

ITA! They are making things worse, not better, by doing this. Covering up the ever growing weight problem in our country with bogus clothing sizing is not going to solve anything...unless they are trying to ENCOURAGE heart disease, obesity and the like! :eek::confused::(:mad:
I wear a size 5 in most JUNIORS clothes. I am not over weight but I am sorry, I am NOT seriously a jr's size 5!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I wear anything between a size 0 and a size 6 and they can all fit me quite nicely. Yes, I do look at the small sizes when I go into a store but I don't get upset if I can't fit into the size 0 or size 2.

Marcy

I have a long had a hard time finding clothes that fit and it's only gotten worse in the last few years. I'm 4'9" and usually end up in the girls department where I try on a dozen pairs of pants to find one that is small enough for my waist and big enough for my hips. Jrs. pants are all way too long and petite clothes tend to be pricey.

The latest problem is with the fact that so many clothes are made for very tall, very thin women. Tops that are form fitting are now too tiny and I am not big on top. :p I've had to jump up from extra small to mediums for some styles. All the most gorgeous dresses would drag on the floor and while I can buy girls shirts, shorts, pants, girls dresses just don't cut it when you are this close to 50!

I'd be happy to ignore the number if I could just find things that fit! Vent over....

The latest problem is with the fact that so many clothes are made for very tall, very thin women. Tops that are form fitting are now too tiny and I am not big on top. :p I've had to jump up from extra small to mediums for some styles. All the most gorgeous dresses would drag on the floor and while I can buy girls shirts, shorts, pants, girls dresses just don't cut it when you are this close to 50!

I'd be happy to ignore the number if I could just find things that fit! Vent over....

I want to know where you're finding this clothing for tall, thin women because I sure can't find it. I can't even shop in most department stores women's departments because the clothing is too big. Heaven forbid if I have to find a formal dress. They are all way too big!

I do have good success at White House Black Market, but I wear their size 00. That's crazy! Why don't they make clothing for women on the small end of the spectrum as well as for women on the larger end of the spectrum?

I wouldn't care if the size label in my clothing said "size 120" if it fit me. It really is frustrating to be my age (54) and a small size. I could wear the junior clothing, but most of it is not a style I want to wear, and not only that, most of it is cheaply made.

I agree with those who have said clothing just seems to keep getting bigger and bigger. I wish that there was more uniformity in the sizing. I really appreciate the brands that size their pants by your waist size in inches, but this is so rare in women's clothing. I usually just get frustrated and give up when I'm shopping because it takes so long to find clothing that fits! As it is I have only ONE pair of jeans I can wear without needing a belt.

I also generally don't care about the size so long as the clothing fits, but I do have a philosophical problem with clothing size 0. If I wear a size 0, does this mean that I do not take up 3 dimensional space??!! :confused: The size 00 mentioned by JeanneMarie is a new one to me! As waistlines continue to increase, will negative sizes be next?

Thanks Shayne, I'm a plus size woman but I notice too that it doesn't matter about the number more so about the fit. I would get so discouraged if I had to go up in size until I realized that a size 16 in one brand doesn't fit the same as a size 16 in another brand.

I look at some of these clothes and the sizes thinking to myself 'a real size 22 is not going to fit in that top or pants'.

So I shop for what fits me and this past weekend I did pretty good with getting 4 pairs of pants (varying sizes) and a few tops. Not bad :)

I also generally don't care about the size so long as the clothing fits, but I do have a philosophical problem with clothing size 0. If I wear a size 0, does this mean that I do not take up 3 dimensional space??!! :confused: The size 00 mentioned by JeanneMarie is a new one to me! As waistlines continue to increase, will negative sizes be next?

The story behind the White House Black Market size 00 is a perfect example of the clothing designers and manfacturers attempt to increase the actual size of clothing, yet keep the number low.

I shop a lot at WHBM. For years I wore their size 0 (or XS) in eveything. Perfect fit. One day a few years ago I was in the store and the store manager was telling me that she was so excited that they were coming out with a "new size". The new size would be size 00. (And also an XXS) I was very happy to hear that women smaller than me would finally have a chance to find stylish clothing that fit. Well, when the new size came out, guess what? It fit ME. So obviously what they did was just change the sizing numbers. What used to be a size 0 was now a size 00 (XS was now an XXS) and on up. By doing this, I guess they figure that women would be happier because they have gone down a size. Who thinks like this? It's crazy!

I just got irritated by the sizes from Banana Republic. When I was in high school and weighed all of 97 lbs., I wore a 3. When I get "fat", I'll make it up to a 4, but have spent the majority of my adult life as a 2. I was still wearing my 2's even when I was 14 lbs. heavier than I am now (pre STS and new eating habits), but now my 2's are falling off. Makes me mad because they aren't cheap pants. So what size did I end up buying? Well, in 2 pairs, I bought size 0 and in 2 others, I bought 00. There's NO way I should be in a 0 or 00. And even in the same "cut", but a different color - one is a 0 and the other is 00.

The problem I have is that I'm only 5'0", so I need petite. But, the petite section at our local Banana Republic is very limited and I have to order online. I know, I know... I shouldn't complain about being a size 0.... except I'm not a size 0. Banana Republic just wants me to think I am.

I wouldn't care if the size label in my clothing said "size 120" if it fit me. It really is frustrating to be my age (54) and a small size. I could wear the junior clothing, but most of it is not a style I want to wear, and not only that, most of it is cheaply made.

LOL - you mean Emo is out when you hit your 50's?

Boy, do I agree. I finally get to be the size I want and now it's hard to find things small enough. And I'm not THAT small, I'm 5'7" and weigh 124 as of this morning. I was trying to find a pair of black trousers for work at the Neiman Marcus outlet and basically they had nothing small enough for me. I needed a 2 and there was a very limited selection in that size. Now they had plenty of tiny high-end jeans that fit, but that's not what I wanted. I guess the majority of women are just so much bigger now.

Boy, do I agree. I finally get to be the size I want and now it's hard to find things small enough. And I'm not THAT small, I'm 5'7" and weigh 124 as of this morning. I was trying to find a pair of black trousers for work at the Neiman Marcus outlet and basically they had nothing small enough for me. I needed a 2 and there was a very limited selection in that size. Now they had plenty of tiny high-end jeans that fit, but that's not what I wanted. I guess the majority of women are just so much bigger now.

It really is frustrating isn't it? I know people kind of roll their eyes when they hear me complain, but it's a very real problem.

I am your same height and weigh about 112 lbs.

Wow JeanneMarie, I can only imagine how much tougher it must be for you. I can remember when I weighed 150 & dreamed of all the cute clothes I would buy once I lost weight....now I can't find them to buy. ha.

I want to know where you're finding this clothing for tall, thin women because I sure can't find it. I can't even shop in most department stores women's departments because the clothing is too big. Heaven forbid if I have to find a formal dress. They are all way too big!

I don't know what to tell you! I recently went to FL and spent a few weeks searching the racks for some cute tops. The Jr. smalls were so narrow across the body, I could barely get them on! And instead of coming just below the waist, they covered my butt plus some. My torso is more normal length, so in the past I've generally not had a problem with tops fitting. When I was trying to find dresses, there would be a few that were meant to be really short and would come above my knees, but ones that were meant to be calf length would have a foot of material laying on the floor. One thing I do wish I'd done, was learn to sew. It would make my life much easier at this point.

I have to admit that the number on the label still matters to me.:eek: I am working on getting over this.

I am 5ft9" and find it difficult to find pants long enough to wear with high heels. A 34" inseam is perfect but it seems a lot of stores only carry 32" or petite sizes for shorter women.

Thanks Shayne, for initiating this conversation. I know I try not to let label size matter, but it's an ongoing process because it's been so burned into my brain that it means something!!! But I know that depending on the cut and the manufacturer, I fit into at least three different sizes of clothing (4, 6, 8) and it's a toss-up whether Small or Medium will be the right size for me. So I'm working on telling myself, "Whatever!"

I am 5,8", 130 pounds (size 6). I would just like to be able to find pants that are LONG ENOUGH to wear with heels :mad:, and pants that don't gap in the back. Dress pants are somewhat easier to find in the right length, but jeans are a nightmare. I can get a long size, but then they are too long in the crotch. Another thing is finding exercise pants that are long enough too; I really like the ones with a roll-down waist which allows you to adjust the fit.

One other thing I'd like to see are more sports bras/ workout tops that have a little shaping up top for those of us who are not blessed with nice boobs. There are some out there, but they are hard to find.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.