One year with Cathe

CinLou

I have been reading the Cathe forums for years while trying to get consistent with exercising. I have struggled with the "all or nothing" mentality my entire life. I have also had a weight issue since I was a child. I would start a diet and exercise program every Monday and by Wednesday I would be off of it until next Monday. You get the picture. As I reached my mid fifties, it was just easier to accept the 50 added pounds on my 5'1" body.
I had been collecting exercise records (yes, I am that old), videos and DVDs for years. I go all the way back to Joanie Greggins. I have always liked to exercise, but not to diet. So, in March of 2009, after starting and stopping workouts in January and February, I decided to do what I like to do. I decided to exercise and not worry about diet. I would focus on one thing at a time. I used Cathe's Maximum Intensity Strength video to get me started. I have had it for years...hence the video part. I did the lower body one day and 30 minutes on the treadmill; and the upper body and treadmill the next day. My goal was to get to the 21 days of exercise to make it a habit. I wasn't thinking about losing weight, just about exercising and feeling stronger.
I used Cathe's Workout Manager to track my workouts. One day when I was planning to skip the workout, I noticed that my name was listed on the "Workouts being done today" part of the Workout Manager. Strangely enough, I felt I could not let Cathe down and I went downstairs and did my workout. That was my turning point. Fast forward one year later and I am in the best shape of my life. I am finally able to do the hard Cathe workouts I had been buying all of these years. I still track my workouts on the Workout Manager. I still do not diet, but I have found that I am choosing much healthier portions for myself. I feel I have been able to step away from the "all or nothing" mentality. The Workout Manager helped me so much in that area...I could just move a workout to another day if I was unable to do it as planned. I even eliminated workouts if life got in the way; and for the first time in my life, I have not fallen off of the exercise wagon.
I still do my beloved Maximum Intensity Strength, but now I do it all at once. I have enjoyed the Pyramids, Pure Strength and Hardcores along the way.
I will go back to lurking on the forums, but I had to let you know that you have had a wonderful influence on my 57-year-young body. Thank you, Cathe and Cathletes.

Good for you! Being consistent is one of the hardest things. Its great that Cathe has motivated you to stick with it. Keep it up! Your an inspiration to all of us.

CinLou,
Thanks for sharing that with us. It's always encouraging to hear that someone in their 50's is setting a difficult fitness goal and meeting it. Good for you!

What a great story! So glad you found what works for you! I am a big believer in making smaller, doable changes that add up to big changes and leaving behind the "all or nothing". Congratulations!!

That is great!

Thank you for sharing - it is very inspiring! I can definitely relate as I've finally reached that point myself in terms of abandoning the 'all or nothing' attitude and just trying the best I can every single day. I plan on being where you are now next year.

Great job!!!

Congratulations CinLou!

Thanks so much for sharing your story, If you decide to post, I for one would love to hear about old exercise records & videos, I think that's fascinating, I'd take part in the Step 'n Motion if we had a high speed connection ( the phone company says it's coming....since I don't know when :( )

What a contrast to the digital age you must see!

Thanks again for sharing your success, you are an inspiration!

Linda :)

Way to go!

Thanks so much for sharing your story - and good for you! Congratulations! I could relate to so much of what you said - and I laughed when I read about your Joanie record - I used to watch her on TV while I ate - and I had a couple of her work outs.

Anyway - I so appreciate people sharing their stories and successes! Way to go!

Thanks!

Wow! Joanie Greggins! What a blast from the past!

I worked out with her occassionally and always remembered her saying "You grew it, you move it!" I still hear that when I do lower body floor work (with Cathe of course) and laugh to myself!

Congratulations, CinLou! Your hard work and perserverance and dedication will always pay off. Keep up your practice and check the forums as often as you can. They are a fantastic suppport group! Don't know what I'd do without everyone here!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.