Baby steps

horseshowmom

Cathlete
I thought I'd take a few minutes to share my baby steps this month. I think I need to see them in black and white (or blue and aqua!)
I am a long lost prodigal returning to the Cathe fold. I bought my 1st Cathe video in 1999! :eek: I credit Cathe with teaching me that muscle can be sexy and weightlifting can be fun! (?)
Unfortunately, I have been unfaithful and find myself facing 37 with 40 pounds to lose (again!) Losing it is easy for me, keeping it off, not so much!:confused:

Several factors over the past few years (my mom,dad,sis all fighting cancer & winning so far!) have made me mentally commit to becoming healthy, but I haven't taken the action. This year I've been blessed with extra time to focus on me. 3 of 5 kids are out of high school, so more time for me! Honestly though, I wasted the past 12 months just remembering how to breathe and relax...which led to most of those 40 pounds. There's relaxation and then there's a coma! :eek:

August 1st I took my 1st action step toward health and joined our local YMCA and rediscovered the Cathe forums. You have all been so encouraging and generous with sharing your knowledge! I hope someday to *pay it forward* as you are!

My first Cathe dvd...embarrassing! I couldn't finish it with or without weights!
Thursday I was beating myself up for not being able to complete a 30 minute yoga class (those downward dogs and planks kill me!)
Friday, I beat myself up for only being able to lift my upper body 2 inches off the ground in pilates. And if I breathe, my abs relax!
This morning I tried zumba and quickly realized there is no *Dancing With the Stars* in my future!

But instead of eating the pound of m&m's next to my bed, I'm trying to find some progress...and I did!
I actually tried something new...zumba! and even though I stink, I had fun!

Yesterday I rode my bike the 6 miles to the *Y* for an hour pilates class, and then rode the 6 miles home and only had to walk one hill. (I live in upstate South Carolina, there are a LOT of hills! and I've never ridden a bike any distance)

Last week I ran 2 miles without stopping (haven't run since high school!)

I tried my 1st spin class. After the ride yesterday, I see there's a world of difference between road biking and stationary, but neither are easy!

And then, mostly to torture myself I took some measurements and was shocked!
hips - 3 inches
thighs -1 inch
waist -2 inches
pounds -2

So thank you all for the advice,encouragement, and kindness you've shown.
It has really helped me re-start this journey.

And now, instead of eating the m&m's, I'm going to take my dog for a run!

Becky

Wow Becky, you should be VERY proud of yourself!! All of those are great accomplishments!

First of all, KUDOS to you for dealing with all that life has thrown at you and managed to make it thru still sane! And good for you for committing to focus more on you, now that others don't need you quite as much!

Your 2 pounds, and other measurement decreases, are awesome! It sounds to me like you body is starting to build some muscle back, since your inches are dropping. Also, running two miles is AWESOME! I am waaaaaayyyy fitter now than I have ever been, but could NOT run two miles without stopping. So ^^5 on that!

Fitness is a journey, and we all have made (and continue to make) a series of "baby steps" to get where we have gotten. So keep gettin' it, don't give up, and good luck!

And for crying out loud, MOVE THOSE M&MS AWAY FROM YOUR BED!! :p

Waaaay to Go!!!

I've been working on the fitness thing for over a year I still can't run 2 miles without stopping. Don't feel bad about not being able to finish a Cathe dvd. There is no shame in that. btw. Which workout was it? (note to self must be able to run over 2 miles without stopping in order to finish a Cathe style cardio dvd. oh my.)

The measurements just go to show that its really the tape measure that shows the progress. Our bodies change but the scale remains the same sometimes or only moves a little bit. I bet you lost more like 4 pounds of fat and gained two pounds of muscle.

I would suggest inside out weight loss (podcast) for help with motivation and dealing with that nagging bag of m & ms. lol. Of course that said you seem to be doing just fine :)

Congratulations on the inches lost...thats AWESOME!

I also wanted to let you know that your mom,dad and sis are in my prayers and high fives to them for kicking the cancer in the butt!

Keep us updated as you keep succeeding in your fitness journey!!! I wish you the best of luck...your Doing GREAT!

Congrat's to you. They say the last points to come off the hardest, but in my opinion, the first are the hardest so double congrat's to you. I agree with the other person, don't feel bad about not being able to finish a Cathe workout, it is a Cathe workout afterall. They are not easy at any level - or is it just me? :)

I too and praying for you and your family's health.

Thanks for all your encouragement and kind thoughts!
Your prayers are appreciated...mom and sis are *lucky*, early cancer,(cervical & uterine) quickly removed via surgery and no chemo. Dad's cancer (colon) was much more advanced but he has passed his 5 year cancer free mark. However he lives in daily, debilitating pain as a result of the surgeries.
One direct family member was surprising enough, but now that I'm the *last woman standing* in the family, I need to take my health more seriously.

Thanks again for all your kindness!:)

BTW~ I put the m&m's into cookie dough and since I only eat cookie dough, not my own cookies, I had to bake them quickly! Dodge a small bullet!

Becky...Congrats on your accomplishments!! I remember when I first quit smoking and decided to become healthy...I couldnt get through the warm-up of KPC and yoga made me SORE.....lol..how discouraging!

So where do you live in SC? I lived (and went to college) in Spartanburg for 4 years, and Greenville for 4 years...I loved it!!

Hi Becky, congratulations! And keep family in prayers. What part of SC are y'all in, I am in Irmo (Columbia)? I have met one other person who(m) lives in Cayce/West Columbia that is a Cathe person via eBay of all things! I also introduced my neighbor to Cathe and gave her Legs/Glutes (but now she has to buy hers. :D) Congratulations again, Annette

Hi ladies! Thank you for the kind words! I'm upstate ~ Clover.
We're sort of borderland, outside of Charlotte.
Our oldest daughter just started at USC Columbia.
We LOVE it here!
Thanks again for the encouragement!:D

Becky...Congrats on your accomplishments!! I remember when I first quit smoking and decided to become healthy...I couldnt get through the warm-up of KPC and yoga made me SORE.....lol..how discouraging!

So where do you live in SC? I lived (and went to college) in Spartanburg for 4 years, and Greenville for 4 years...I loved it!!

I love Upstate SC...my mother's peoples, as we say are from Union, SC. Greenville/Spartanburg rocks!

Hi ladies! Thank you for the kind words! I'm upstate ~ Clover.
We're sort of borderland, outside of Charlotte.
Our oldest daughter just started at USC Columbia.
We LOVE it here!
Thanks again for the encouragement!:D

I hope much success on your weight loss journey. We are here for ya!
I had a friend from Clover, SC who attended Newberry College with me. Her name was Joy. Her last name has escaped me. If your daughter needs anything, I am in Colatown (really Irmo but I do come into town). You can pm or email me, and I'll give you my numbers.

[email protected]

GO Gamecocks! First game of the season is today!

Congratulations Becky on your accomplishments! They seem far greater than baby steps!! You're doing great! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.