4 weeks in, 7 #s down

muniav09

Hey, y'all, I'm new here. I'm 47, and 4 weeks ago today, I started working out again. I started with a week of uphill walking on the treadmill, and I rediscovered the workout manager. That got me kind of fired up, so I started tracking my workouts and ordered XTrain and LIS. while I was waiting for that, I downloaded an intermediate rotation and did that for a week. I am now through week # 2 of the XTrain/LIS rotation. Some of them are so hard, but I' modifying and getting through. The premixes and time savers are a revelation. I haven't done a timesaver yet,, but my MIL is coming this week, and the very idea that I can do a timesaver AND IT STILL COUNTS is so psychologically freeing that I can't even tell you! I am an educated person, so I feel kind of stupid even saying that, but it doesn't make it any less true. Anyway, I've lost 7 pounds (of about 45, but I'm not married to a number), and I'm primarily looking at weight loss as a function of diet. I'm looking at workouts from a perspective of fitness--strength, lack of back pain (my muscular back pain has improved), prevention of lifestyle related illness as I age. I'm not an old lady yet, and I want to keep it that way!

Thanks for "listening," and Cathe, thanks for destroying my mind block!

Steph

Hi there!! Welcome!

Wow you are kicking it!
Have up just discovered Cathe?
I did a year and a half ago and I love ALL of her DVDs! They are hard but so fun and worth it!

Good luck and keep us posted and tell us after u try all the X train workouts what is your favorite !
Hearing these things keep me motivated!

Thanks, Renee! I discovered Cathe years ago, but never could stick with it. The low impact stuff is making a big difference, as I am bio mechanically unsuited to high impact (pigeon-toed on the left, which causes every joint in my left leg to hurt like crazy after just about a couple of days of high impact). I'm telling you, this whole idea of modifying and doing what you can when you can, and that that doesn't make you a failure is incredibly liberating from the mindset that you have to do everything they do as well as they do it. Crazy!! I'm not saying I don't call Cathe names ("Crazy Woman" gets used a lot, and I won't lie, there is a good bit of swearing, but I look forward to my workouts, and it's all good. Well except I'm not looking forward to Legs on Tuesday.....

Steph

Hi Steph!

Congrats on the weight loss and getting back to working out. :)
I know exactly where you are coming from about having the mindset that if you don't follow the video as close to exact as possible that the workout doesn't count. I'm slowly coming out of that mindset also. In fact, I ordered all of Cathe's DVDs, except for about 5,so that I could follow the rotations without any substitutions; that and I LOVE her workouts. I have no idea why I used to think that somehow my results wouldn't be as good if I had to make a substitution or do a premix to save time. It sounds crazy even as I type it! Yikes!! My head knew better but for some reason it just wasnt sticking. I blame my perfectionist tendencies. Lol :)

Signed,
Another educated crazy woman! :)

I just noticed it! I didn't know anyone commented back! I love this to.
I also felt and still feel terrible at times if I can't do all reps and stuff. I have to work on that. That is y I don't do cross train and to the max as much I really love love those workouts but I can not do every rep and it makes me not want to try! Eek I do it though I mean like afterburn holy cow I tried that four times I really need to make myself do them at least once a week and say it's ok if I'm not perfect!! Wow can't believe I said it lol

Thanks, Renee! I discovered Cathe years ago, but never could stick with it. The low impact stuff is making a big difference, as I am bio mechanically unsuited to high impact (pigeon-toed on the left, which causes every joint in my left leg to hurt like crazy after just about a couple of days of high impact). I'm telling you, this whole idea of modifying and doing what you can when you can, and that that doesn't make you a failure is incredibly liberating from the mindset that you have to do everything they do as well as they do it. Crazy!! I'm not saying I don't call Cathe names ("Crazy Woman" gets used a lot, and I won't lie, there is a good bit of swearing, but I look forward to my workouts, and it's all good. Well except I'm not looking forward to Legs on Tuesday.....

Steph

Oh my goodness. We have similar biomechanical issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am pigeon toed and have hyper flexible ligaments as well, which means it's easy for my ankles to hurt. Also flat footed. Sheesh. I had no chance, did i? I don't like high impact and it took me years to understand it wasn't me. I'm pushing 51, so of course in our youth high impact aerobics was the rave. Remember 20 minute workout ( 4 more, 3 more, 2 more, )

I'm going to do the rotation you are doing (and try again to eat clean)

UPDATE: My earlier post was years ago. I didn't stick with it, and by last September, I was up to 194 lbs. (I'm 5'3"). A health assessment at work and a picture of me in the newspaper were the last straws. I do not want to end up with lifestyle related diseases and be decrepit in my older years!! I found an old Fitbit, and started walking, trying to get in the 10,000 steps a day. That Fitbit wasn't adequate for my needs, so I got one with a HR monitor. I started doing the ICE series, along with all the walking, with lots of modifications, and I started using myfitnesspal.com to log my food, and started trying to keep total calories to between 1200-1400 a day. I started all this on September 30, 2017, and by early November, I was pretty fired up, so I got the Fitbit Ionic to track even more stuff. Fast forward to today, and I just finished my 4th ICE rotation (the first two totally ICE rotations, ICE and XTrain, ICE and RwH), and I'm about to start ICE with S&S. I've lost 39 pounds, and I've gone down a pants size and a bra band size. I feel GREAT. I've had a bit of a setback since mid-January as my husband had back to back retinal detachments and was blind for a couple of weeks, but I was able to start back last week. I find I really enjoy the exercise, and I have to make myself take rest days. Again, allowing myself to make modifications and to take time off if I have to have been major mental breakthroughs. These are MY workouts, and I will make them work for ME. Thanks so much to Cathe for the ICE series, as it allowed me to get back into exercise at a more reasonable level for me. I am finding that I am really the most fit I've ever been. I am stronger, and I am more comfortable in my skin than ever before, and I'm 52! I am fortunate enough to have a husband who is a lifetime fitness junkie, and we have a home gym. I already had all my old light weights, and he had bought everything from 20s on up, but I needed those in betweens, so I no have 17 1/2s and 22 1/2s while I work my way up from 15s and 20s. I had never used 15s before on anything other than one armed rows and deadlifts, so this is a big deal. My core is stronger than ever as well. I've had people tell me I've inspired them to take care of themselves! So, it is ALL good, and being fit has helped me deal with my husband's temporary blindness and medical needs with calm and equanimity as well (that, and he's been an amazingly good sport about it all, considering). So again, thanks to Cathe and for the supportive folks on these boards!

Good for you, Muniav09! :) It is inspiring to hear your story. It shows that it is never too late to make a new start, no matter how many false starts one has had in the past. :D Great that you have taken charge of your health - how empowering for you! I love the fact that you powered through, doing what you could and experimenting with different strategies, till you found a routine that worked for you. Many people give up if they don't love every workout and everything is not perfect during the first month. Sometimes the joy taps in later once we have ironed out the kinks in our plan. So glad that you have now found that joy and are inspiring others! Your story reminds me of the physical AND mental health benefits of healthy living. Thanks.

In terms of diet, I am 58, 5' tall and personally don't go below about 1800-2000 cals/day (don't count calories, but that is what I would estimate). How is the <1400 calorie plan working for you? Have you been able to maintain that level and maintain energy level too? Do you have certain calorie dense foods that are working well for you? Are there foods you are avoiding such as added sugar or alcohol?

Good for you, Muniav09! :) It is inspiring to hear your story. It shows that it is never too late to make a new start, no matter how many false starts one has had in the past. :D Great that you have taken charge of your health - how empowering for you! I love the fact that you powered through, doing what you could and experimenting with different strategies, till you found a routine that worked for you. Many people give up if they don't love every workout and everything is not perfect during the first month. Sometimes the joy taps in later once we have ironed out the kinks in our plan. So glad that you have now found that joy and are inspiring others! Your story reminds me of the physical AND mental health benefits of healthy living. Thanks.

In terms of diet, I am 58, 5' tall and personally don't go below about 1800-2000 cals/day (don't count calories, but that is what I would estimate). How is the <1400 calorie plan working for you? Have you been able to maintain that level and maintain energy level too? Do you have certain calorie dense foods that are working well for you? Are there foods you are avoiding such as added sugar or alcohol?
The 1200-1400 calories are working fine. I work out in the evening after work, and that’s an appetite killer for me. I found myself naturally avoiding bread and pasta because they were not enough bang for the buck, so to speak, nutritionally. I’m eating a ton more vegetables than I used to and find that I actually like them. Who knew?! I used to never eat breakfast, but I now eat a Nature’s Valley Protein bar every morning with coffee (190 calories). My first pot of coffee is 2/1 decaf to caf, and I drink decaf in the afternoon which helps with appetite. My office is near a park, and my position is such that I can steal a few minutes a few times a day in nice weather to walk, again, an appetite controller. I eat Luna bars and Kind bars, but its reasonably low carb otherwise, but that’s not a hard and fast rule (there are no hard and fast rules except for total calories, and that is somewhat flexible). I eat at least one serving of meat a day, usually chicken (thighs too) or lean pork, and I eat nuts and protein bars. MyFitnessPal keeps up with the macronutrients for me so I can make adjustments as needed. In short, I’m not on a “diet”, I’m just being educated. And I gave up soda! I’m not overly hungry, and when I am, I’m learning to distinguish actual physical hunger from emotional, stress or boredom hunger. If it’s real, I eat. If it’s not, I usually don’t. I can’t explain it, it is just all starting to come together for me. My kids are in college, and I can focus on me. Having said all that, I’ve been losing and gaining the same three pounds for about a month, but the situation with my husband’s eyes explain a lot of that. I’m in a doctor’s waiting room right now! So I’m starting to refocus on my eating now. Counting calories is key for me. I don’t drink alcohol very often generally, but I will if I’m out with friends. Nothing is off limits, but there are limits to everything if that makes sense. I weigh everyday. I don’t live or die by it, but do it to be Abe to make adjustments when needed. Taking the long view—that this is about more than just today or just this week—has made all the difference. I’m sorry, this is undoubtedly more than you want to know!!

Thanks so much, Muniav09! This was very helpful to me. I love your approach to take the long view, to be flexible, and to make educated decisions of what and when to eat based on sound information and listening to your body. It sounds like you have a routine that you can stick with, that fuels your workouts, fits your lifestyle and is enjoyable - awesome!

Your welcome, Jane, I’m glad that was helpful! I’m just starting to really take advantage of these boards, and it makes me happy. There is so much positive support here, and to my surprise, there are so many badass women our age. Very cool!—Stephanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.