Who tends your kids while you work?

Calee

Cathlete
Right now I've only gone back part-time so it's worked out that my own mom or MIL can watch my little girl. Unfortunately the part time thing isn't going to last forever and the grandmas both have jobs and schedules of their own so this arrangement won't last either. I am SO scared of leaving her with a stranger; you hear too many horror stories of bad nannies/babysitters/daycares, etc.. and I'm the first time mom that stresses over every little thing anyway!
For those of you who work full time, what are your 9-to-5 arrangements for your kids and how is it working for you?

We have a nanny, and she was the first, and only person that we intereviewed. She's AMAZING and she loves my son as much as we do. (And most importantly, he loves her!)

She teaches him so much and constantly has him out with other kids playing.

She came to us as a resferral. We had friends of the family that have her sister as a nanny, and she told them that our nanny was looking for a job (she was moving here form Belize). We knew that those friends were VERY anal about childcare, so we wanted to interview her. We just knew as soon as we met with her. Had *that* feeling.

Depending on where you go to find your childcare, the others in that area will tell you everything you need to know. For my nanny, all the other SAH moms in our little housing area see her with Mason and RAVE about her. Literally, neighbors that I don't know at all have come up and commented to me about her. The also tell me horror stories about other nannies, so that word spreads! So start with referrals, interviews, and then ask around a lot once you settle on someone. It may seem cheesy, but the nanny-cam is a great way to give you piece of mind if you have nothing else.

We also had ours come a few times a week while I was still home on leave. That way I could get to know her, and she could get to know Mason. It made me feel a lot better about leaving him with her when I had a better feeling of how she'd be with him. Sort of a test-drive, if you will.

If you'd like, I'd be happy to share our interview questions and nanny-agreement that we used with ours.

Last edited:
My hubby is a stay at home Daddy

Before then I used a "grandma" from our church. She just watched my one boy...and loved him alot. It was a good experience & she was super affordable.

Good luck with your decision!

Melissa,
Yes, PLEASE I would love to see your interview questions and agreement. I am almost sick about leaving my little girl with someone other than her grandmas! It would be great to see your list, thank you so much!

I just sent you a PM with the interview questions. Hopefully they come through OK.
I'll send a separate one with the agreement.

Melissa thank you so much! I feel much more prepared now. Thanks for taking the time to share these. You are wonderful!! (now only if I didn't have to use them...)

Melanie, how old whas your little boy when hubby was able to take over at home? I'm hoping to only work full time for a few years if it's possible then go back to part-time hours. I want to be more flexible by the time my little girl goes to kindergarten.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.