What can you do for baby gas??

Wow my lil guy is hating gas and he has it ALOT. He was such a good sleeper till this kicked in and now he wakes up crying-squirming and passing gas. Or pooping. he hates that too. I have tried mylecon and gripe water. burping often and patting his back. I even tried lightly rubbing his belly and raising his legs to his belly. NOTHING is working. My mom is here still and she took him for a couple hours so I could get some rest last night. Hes sleeping ok right now but its really tiring. sigh! any advice? (hes one week old today)

Oh also he sometimes seems to gulp down air for no reason. (not eating or anything). I don't know why and I don't know if that has much to do with it or not.

Last edited:
Hi Jess. Simethicone drops is the only thing I know of that you can give your wee-one (pharmacologically speaking). Otherwise doing bicycle motions with his little legs.....and I used my big exercise ball to gently bounce them on my lap when they were super gassy or had colic). :D

Some of it you're really kind of stuck. Their little digestive systems just aren't up to par yet.
Mylicon (simethicone) never worked on my little dude.

I found a product called Colic Calm that worked REALLY well, and very quickly.
www.coliccalm.com
Not sure what the other gripe water was that you used. Sometimes they just don't respond to things and you're stuck working through it.

hi jess - none of the products marketed for gas or colic worked or us. i would just help my little guys work it out, bicycle style, or rolling his legs all the way up and over the head and then back down, like massaging the back. both of those motions worked really well, sometimes immediately. my husband laughed and said i was "farting the baby".

wendy

All three of my sons suffered from colic. The only thing that worked was changing what I ate. This is assuming you are breastfeeding.:)

I couldn't eat onions, garlic, legumes, broccoli or anything in the broccoli family, eggs and also dairy. It seemed like the only thing that I ate that didn't give them gas was rice, peas, salmon.

Even now, at 19,17, 11 years old - if we have broccoli soup, onion soup, a lot of pico di gallo salsa, beans, cole slaw or brussells sprouts - all three get gas. :eek:

HTH

Oh and congratulations on the birth of your wee one. It is such a very special time. Sleep deprived, yes, but it compares to no other time in their lives.:D

thanks. hes been doing better the last day already. still passing some gas but isn't as upset by it. Yeah I'm BFding. I'll consider what I'm eating if it continues to be a problem. thanks :)
yeah time is already going too fast. hes already looking plumper. ha. A friend came over with her 4 month old and he was sooo big! I'm hoping he doesn't seem to grow too fast!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.